vitamin b vitamin b1 vitamin b12 folic acid

6 replies to this topic

#1 spidermanforever

spidermanforever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

my GP phoned today and said my vitamin b12 and folate (folic acid) was a little low on my last regular blood check and she would like for me to have another blood test... I was wondering can you take supplements for b12 and folic acid whilst on accutane?? About 2 weeks I had a blood test to see if i was okay to go on accutane (liver function, cholesterol) and this came out okay. From what i have read, you must not take supplements containing vit A....Also on the day of your blood test to check your cholesterol and other liver measures do you still take your accutane tablets on that day?

Thanks

Edited by spidermanforever, 31 July 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#2 spidermanforever

spidermanforever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ive already had my  baseline blood test and from taking the supplements along with accutane might this increase liver enzyme levels compared to baseline readings when i wasnt on any supplements?? I really do not want to be taken off accutane however if I am deficient I may need to take these supplements....Any advise please??

Edited by spidermanforever, 31 July 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#3 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

My Derm has given me naff all info on this really, so what I know I've gained from here.

But yes I take my accutane tablets on the day of my blood tests (although I do take them in the evenings anyway), and you can def take supplements as long as they don't contain vitamin A. If you get a chance you could ask your derm about that as she might have some preferred brands and hints and tips.

Oh and those types of supplements shouldnt effect your baseline levels, and it wont matter significantly anyway. It is unlikely they are monitoring a set increase from -your- baseline, it's more likely it will be a general level they look out for in everyone. I'm not sure if I have explained that very well.

#4 spidermanforever

spidermanforever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

<p>

My Derm has given me naff all info on this really, so what I know I've gained from here.

But yes I take my accutane tablets on the day of my blood tests (although I do take them in the evenings anyway), and you can def take supplements as long as they don't contain vitamin A. If you get a chance you could ask your derm about that as she might have some preferred brands and hints and tips.

Oh and those types of supplements shouldnt effect your baseline levels, and it wont matter significantly anyway. It is unlikely they are monitoring a set increase from -your- baseline, it's more likely it will be a general level they look out for in everyone. I'm not sure if I have explained that very well.

cheers for the reply! :) this is my second round of accutane and its taken me along time to get back on it and I was worried about the extra supplements, thanks again for the info.

Edited by spidermanforever, 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I take a B-12 supplement everyday because my body doesn't absorb it well enough, there has been no problems with that. Like you mentioned as long as you aren't taking something containing A you should be good. You might want to run it by your doctor to be sure though

#6 lightattheend

lightattheend

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

spidermanforever -

In answer to your first post - If you are having a blood test for things like cholesterol and liver function, you need to fast from the night before your blood test. That means nothing by mouth, except water (lots of it, cause it makes it easier for the phlebotomist to draw your blood).. So you can take your accutane tablet on the day of your test, but AFTER, such as that evening. Dont take it in the morning before your test.

Hope that helps answer at least part of your query!

#7 spidermanforever

spidermanforever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies :) I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with taking folic acid.... I have researched and found out that many people have taken b12 on accutane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users