Photo

Dilemma's That Would Be Funny If They Weren't Ruining My Skin..

acne blackheads oily dry pimple whitehead whiteheads blackhead pimples

6 replies to this topic

#1 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Here's the thing.

My face is covered in small whiteheads,small red spots, blackheads, sebbacous fillaments etc..

Not really big pimples.

Seems to be getting worse everyday, here are the dillemmas im facing.

My skin is seriously dehydrated and flaky (flakes causing more blocked pores) yet gets oily but stil feels dry by the end of the day (contributing to blocked pores)

Im scared to put on any moisturizer on incase it blocks my pores even more.

alot of my pores must be so stretched from been filled for so long that even if I did clear them they would probably fill back up with in seconds anyway.

All moisturizers seem to contain bad pore clogging ingredients.

I keep reading how humeccants in moisturizers can cause skin to become even more dry over the long run by pulling water out the lower layers of the skin to the surface if there isnt enough humidity in the air. making the problem worse.

I keep reading how emmolients in moisturizers can cover the skin and stop it "breathing" keeping sebum in and gluing flakes to the skin (Blocked pores again)

Ive got some 2% bha which is suppose to exfoliate and bring things to the surface over time but if I use it it just makes my skin drier and flakier (Blocking pores again)

Ive looked into the Oil Cleansing Method which can either work very well for people and loosen up sebum plugs or make things considerably worse so I dont know about this one. im continuing reasearching into it and finding the right way to do it, the right oils to use, percentages, methods, etc..

I need to exfoliate my skin but am just scared it will spread bacteria around or damage skin/pores.

Im just washing with a normal cleanser nothing else and the problems seem to be slowly getting worse.

Im trying to eat a good diet but by not eating as much sugar / proccessed foods im loosing weight I cant afford to lose.

Ive read hours and hours and page after page of information that all seems to contradicts each other. Im even more confused than before I read anything.

Any Advice for any of this? all seems hilarious too be honest but its getting me seriously depressed. I just want to stop my skin getting worse and slowly reverse the problems, Im not asking for perfect skin, I just want a method that will stop things getting worse and make gradual improvements.

Its consumed my whole life.

#2 pocketfulofsunshine

pocketfulofsunshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm in school majoring in Elementary Ed, which I'm super excited about! I love all of the good things in life--ice cream, 30 Rock, Lost, upbeat music, adventures, weird nail polish art, crafting, and cats. I'm also pretty darn Irish and just barely escaped without being super gingery (whew!). I'm probably the nicest person on the planet.

Achievements

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Have you had a chemical peel done? One of my mom's friends in an aesthetician and always gets onto me for trying to moisturize when my face gets dry because it just creates new pimples. She said that the dry skin has to come off to help your skin clear and that by just gluing it down with lotion, you're stopping the process. She gave me a scrub with lactic acid (I think?) that I've been using and it's really been helping sort of rub off the dry parts and make my skin softer. I've had the peels done before too and they really helped also, but if you do decide to have a peel done, start with a gentle one and do it on a day when you have nothing to do because you'll be pretty pink for a little while. You'll peel for a few days, but it gets everything off and I bet it would have worked even better if I'd had the scrub from her then too. I always have weird little dry spots even though the rest of my face is super oily, so instead of lotion, I usually put a dab of the Clean and Clear Acne Advantage Spot treatment gel on the dry spots because it makes the skin look less dry but also has SA in it to keep pimples from forming. I usually do that and then put on a little concealer afterward, but it doesn't say whether you're a guy or a girl, so I'm not sure if that's relevant haha. Good luck!
"If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try." --Seth Godin

#3 Beender20

Beender20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Drop the cleanser. Wash your face with just water only once a day. Do this for a couple of weeks. See how your skin reacts. Thank me later.

#4 GratefulDEad

GratefulDEad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Alright. Here is what I'm trying and heck, if it works for neither of us in reducing acne, it shouldn't have any negative impacts either. First of all, here's a rare thing: my skin is EXACTLY as you have described. We're in the same boat.

So, what I've been doing for 3 days now is drinking plenty of water, decaffinated green tea, washing my face with a mild cleanser from the brand Sebamed. Not the best, but seems harmless enough. (read something on the Internet about JUST using water, which is something that scares me but I might consider.)

A moment about cleansers and creams: I've been through the loop, and all those Neutrogena-type brands don't work for what I dare call 'our' skin type. You're welcome to give it a whirl, but I say save your money. Besides, even for those who have seen results with sallycilic acid, BP, Dan's regimen...etc can't imagine the long term damage, skin-cancer risks, premature skin aging... Blech! But hey, if it worked for me... I would probably turn a blind eye too.

Anywhoo, back to the subject at hand: the healthy alternative. After thorough reading I have made up a list of foods that I love and that (claim to) help improve acne. I've jotted them down for myself, and as a food-lover, it reminds me that I can have an acne-free diet and still... Well, enjoy eating! I suggest you google: 'acne-free diet plan' and other things along those lines, spend 10-20 minutes finding EARNEST, trust-worthy websites and taking note of foods to eat and foods to avoid.

There is more and more research about how diet affects your skin. I'm going to try it out.
Here's the sum of it, a preview if you will: no artificial, processed stuff that can't remember where it's from. No junk food!
Whole grain, natural, non-fat dairy instead of regular dairy...(dairy is apparently bad for your skin... I was devastated.) The good, healthy stuff your mom and dad have been trying to get you to eat! That's what you want. Don't fry your veggies up... Don't cover them in sauce or salt or god knows what. Just eat them.

(pasta, rice, flour... If you follow the logic of this anti-acne regime, they are dreadful for you. But all websites I've come accross are unanimous in giving the OK to replace them with whole-wheat, whole-grain... Works for bread too. Not all is lost! Plus it's better for you over all too.)

A few extra tips:

-Don't touch you skin.

-Exercise regularly, and A L W A Y S (can't stress this enough!!!) shower as soon as possible once you are done.

-Do your best not to be too stressed out. It's no good for the skin OR the soul.

I know this truck-load of info may not be as clear to you here as it is in my head. But go on, do your research in your own way that gets you a clear, concise notion- nay, plan- of what you need to eat and not eat, do and not do. Key google words: foods that are good for acne, foods to avoid for acne, food that causes acne, acne diet plan, what to eat for acne... You get the drill.
A few links to get you started: http://www.naturalnews.com/020409.html

http://clearskinmax-...s.net/acne-diet

On a finishing note, starting tomorrow I will stop eating breakfast for a week to see if the rumors of it helping or curing acne are true. There is substantial research behind it, I suggest you google it and potentially try it! :)

As you see, I have no financial interest in you trying these things. (UNLESS the world is even more warped up than you ever conceived!) but seriously. I know how much it sucks, and the worst part is that you can't be legitimately upset about it. People see it as trivial, vain, a superficial problem. Maybe they're right, but it's really getting in the way of my happiness... Which matters only to me, I know. Still, it's a wonder it's not contagious because it feels like the fucking plague.

On that cheerful note, hoping you all the best with all this. ;)

E-mail me, if you think to, if you ever find that miracle cure, eh. :D (unless the info above IS the miracle cure!!) let me know how that goes too, if you feel like it. I'd love to hear all about it: elephant.teapot@gmail.com (yes, cool e-mail address, I know .... :P )

A fellow sufferer hoping to lend a helping hand.

#5 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Have you had a chemical peel done? One of my mom's friends in an aesthetician and always gets onto me for trying to moisturize when my face gets dry because it just creates new pimples. She said that the dry skin has to come off to help your skin clear and that by just gluing it down with lotion, you're stopping the process. She gave me a scrub with lactic acid (I think?) that I've been using and it's really been helping sort of rub off the dry parts and make my skin softer. I've had the peels done before too and they really helped also, but if you do decide to have a peel done, start with a gentle one and do it on a day when you have nothing to do because you'll be pretty pink for a little while. You'll peel for a few days, but it gets everything off and I bet it would have worked even better if I'd had the scrub from her then too. I always have weird little dry spots even though the rest of my face is super oily, so instead of lotion, I usually put a dab of the Clean and Clear Acne Advantage Spot treatment gel on the dry spots because it makes the skin look less dry but also has SA in it to keep pimples from forming. I usually do that and then put on a little concealer afterward, but it doesn't say whether you're a guy or a girl, so I'm not sure if that's relevant haha. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, im a man by the way haha.

Ive looked into chemical peels but it seems you have to keep putting on a load of moisturizer after which brings me back to the original problems with moisturizers =/

Im so worried about clogging up my pores even more.

Also there is always a risk with things like that.

Drop the cleanser. Wash your face with just water only once a day. Do this for a couple of weeks. See how your skin reacts. Thank me later.

Thankyou.

I understand how stopping using so many chemicals will help skin adjust itself but I need to do something that will actively unblock my pores.

Alright. Here is what I'm trying and heck, if it works for neither of us in reducing acne, it shouldn't have any negative impacts either. First of all, here's a rare thing: my skin is EXACTLY as you have described. We're in the same boat.

So, what I've been doing for 3 days now is drinking plenty of water, decaffinated green tea, washing my face with a mild cleanser from the brand Sebamed. Not the best, but seems harmless enough. (read something on the Internet about JUST using water, which is something that scares me but I might consider.)

A moment about cleansers and creams: I've been through the loop, and all those Neutrogena-type brands don't work for what I dare call 'our' skin type. You're welcome to give it a whirl, but I say save your money. Besides, even for those who have seen results with sallycilic acid, BP, Dan's regimen...etc can't imagine the long term damage, skin-cancer risks, premature skin aging... Blech! But hey, if it worked for me... I would probably turn a blind eye too.

Anywhoo, back to the subject at hand: the healthy alternative. After thorough reading I have made up a list of foods that I love and that (claim to) help improve acne. I've jotted them down for myself, and as a food-lover, it reminds me that I can have an acne-free diet and still... Well, enjoy eating! I suggest you google: 'acne-free diet plan' and other things along those lines, spend 10-20 minutes finding EARNEST, trust-worthy websites and taking note of foods to eat and foods to avoid.

There is more and more research about how diet affects your skin. I'm going to try it out.
Here's the sum of it, a preview if you will: no artificial, processed stuff that can't remember where it's from. No junk food!
Whole grain, natural, non-fat dairy instead of regular dairy...(dairy is apparently bad for your skin... I was devastated.) The good, healthy stuff your mom and dad have been trying to get you to eat! That's what you want. Don't fry your veggies up... Don't cover them in sauce or salt or god knows what. Just eat them.

(pasta, rice, flour... If you follow the logic of this anti-acne regime, they are dreadful for you. But all websites I've come accross are unanimous in giving the OK to replace them with whole-wheat, whole-grain... Works for bread too. Not all is lost! Plus it's better for you over all too.)

A few extra tips:

-Don't touch you skin.

-Exercise regularly, and A L W A Y S (can't stress this enough!!!) shower as soon as possible once you are done.

-Do your best not to be too stressed out. It's no good for the skin OR the soul.

I know this truck-load of info may not be as clear to you here as it is in my head. But go on, do your research in your own way that gets you a clear, concise notion- nay, plan- of what you need to eat and not eat, do and not do. Key google words: foods that are good for acne, foods to avoid for acne, food that causes acne, acne diet plan, what to eat for acne... You get the drill.
A few links to get you started: http://www.naturalnews.com/020409.html

http://clearskinmax-...s.net/acne-diet

On a finishing note, starting tomorrow I will stop eating breakfast for a week to see if the rumors of it helping or curing acne are true. There is substantial research behind it, I suggest you google it and potentially try it! Posted Image

As you see, I have no financial interest in you trying these things. (UNLESS the world is even more warped up than you ever conceived!) but seriously. I know how much it sucks, and the worst part is that you can't be legitimately upset about it. People see it as trivial, vain, a superficial problem. Maybe they're right, but it's really getting in the way of my happiness... Which matters only to me, I know. Still, it's a wonder it's not contagious because it feels like the fucking plague.

On that cheerful note, hoping you all the best with all this. Posted Image

E-mail me, if you think to, if you ever find that miracle cure, eh. Posted Image (unless the info above IS the miracle cure!!) let me know how that goes too, if you feel like it. I'd love to hear all about it: elephant.teapot@gmail.com (yes, cool e-mail address, I know .... Posted Image )

A fellow sufferer hoping to lend a helping hand.

Thanks for all the good information =)

Im currently in the process of sorting my diet and lifestyle out and eating better foods that will keep my skin healthy and fight off bacteria and inflamation. Ive read loads of information on this

But I believe this can only help fight inflamed acne, prevent further breakouts, heal skin etc...

I dont think it can in any way help with the damage that is already done due to clogged pores, blackheads etc..my nose and cheeks expecially look horrible and covered in them black things, actually coming out my skin.

Im working on my diet overall but I am looking for something that along with it will start unblocking my pores and keep skin feeling healthy.

=/ and with all the contradictions I mentioned its so hard to find something that will help with this without making skin even drier or clogging pores even more.

I feel like im lost on a never ending circle of contradictions haha.

=/ Yeh if I find anything that helps I will be sure to let you know.

#6 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Still getting worse by the day =( its killing me.

#7 A damsel in Distress

A damsel in Distress

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Vintage and street style fashion. Natural cures, horses, cooking, ...getting rid of acne...reading blogs. And reading in general.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Use jojoba oil with a few drops of lavender oil and/or tea tree oil in it. The jojoba oil doesnt clog pores and the lavander and tea tree oil are antinflamitory, anti fungal, and anti bacterial. As for washing your face I would suggest a mild cleanser with salaclic acid in it (2%). Leave it on for a little while, it helps slowly exfoliate and break down blackheads. You could also use alittle bit of baking soda in a gentle cleanser like cetaphil (doesnt clog pores) as a gentle scrub Posted Image
Try to drink alot of water, more than 8 glasses! And switch your pillow cases every 2 days and flip it over to the other side every night. Try not to touch your face and be verrrry gentle when shaving (not saying that with experience since im a girl lol but ik what rough shaving does to my legs, and I can only imagine what it must do to the facePosted Image )
At any rate, I hope this helps! Let me know how it goesPosted Image
They judge by the way we look, but what they dont get is...The covers not quite like the book

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users