Photo

Oil Cleansing Method

ocm oil cleansing method blackheads acne oil cleansing method whiteheads blackhead

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

At the risk of sounding like a nutter who jumps from one crazy scheme to the next I was looking into the oil cleansing method.

Firstly I AM NOT suggesting or encouraging anyone to do this I would just like to discuss the possibilities. I would never persuade anyone into doing any regime as so many of these treatments seem to make the problem worse.

from all the reviews it seems it either works a miracle, unblocking pores, blackheads like nothing else or totally wrecks people's face.

It works with castor oil (cleansing) and another carrier oil of choice (olive oil or sunflower oil etc..) You mix the oil, massage it in for 5 minutes, then steam face and wash and remove it ALL. possibly repeating the process. Oil is meant to dissolve oil.

There are countless reviews from people saying it was clearing their skin very well then after 3/4 weeks everything going horribly wrong. But looking more deeply into it it seems that alot of the people that it made worse may not have been doing it right. Making mistakes such as

- Using too much castor oil (some people that had success with it were suggesting only very small percentages 5% or 10% or someone said 7 drops)
-Not using an appropriate, non comedogenic carrier oil suitable for the persons skin type.
- Not rubbing it in for long enough (3-6 minutes massaging into face seemed to be the general opinion.
- Not using cold pressed/organic/fresh oils (very important)
- Not steaming face after to remove all oil (Very important)
- doing it too often (2/3 times a week seems reasonable)

suggestion's from a few people it seemed to work amazingly for were adding polysorbate 20 or polysorbate 80 (about 10%) to apparently make the oil wash off the skin easier.

Also somebody suggested doing a clay mask after to make sure all the oil was definately took out the skin and to remove loosened "stuff" and others said to use a cleanser afterwards.

The method as a whole seems very risky with great potential for clearing blocked pores, people claim to literally feel "grains" coming out their face, hard sebum plugs loosened by the oil.

It made me think - were the majority of people that were getting bad breakouts from it not doing it correctly or was it always going to do this to them. The scariest thing about this method is the fact that loads of people report everything going great for 2/3 weeks, then going SEVERELY down hill. obviously it could be tried on a very small area for a month but most people are too impatient for that.

So if you were to make a mixture of say organic cold pressed castor oil (5-10%) polysorbate 80 (10%) and organic cold pressed sunflower oil (80-85%) massage a small amount of it into the face for 5 minutes, Steam face and wipe/wash all the oil off, used a mask to remove oil and more blackheads, then finish with mabye a moisturiser or a salyicic acid. Would this make it alot more successful and seriously cut down the amount of people having breakouts from it.

Once again im NOT saying this will work or encouraging anyone to do it because I honestly dont know, im just wandering about the possibilities.

Any thoughts on this?

#2 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

I have thoughts on this. And it is true what you're saying, in regards to people reporting either great results, or disastrous.

But looking more deeply into it it seems that alot of the people that it made worse may not have been doing it right. Making mistakes such as

- Using too much castor oil (some people that had success with it were suggesting only very small percentages 5% or 10% or someone said 7 drops)
-Not using an appropriate, non comedogenic carrier oil suitable for the persons skin type.
- Not rubbing it in for long enough (3-6 minutes massaging into face seemed to be the general opinion.
- Not using cold pressed/organic/fresh oils (very important)
- Not steaming face after to remove all oil (Very important)
- doing it too often (2/3 times a week seems reasonable)

These are all great possibilities that you've mentioned, and things that should definitely be considered by anyone tempted by this method.

I've used it. For roughly a four month period. In which i only steamed my face twice. It didn't cause me to breakout, and it did a pretty good job of preventing blemishes. My blemishes were much smaller as well. And I used grapeseed oil without any castor oil at all. I've heard that castor oil in all it's thickness can cause pore blockage. This is the word on the street. I never had the severe breakout after a few weeks tho. It never came, but i still wasn't completely satisfied with my complexion. It was a hundred times better than any topical, besides green tea, that i had experimented with

So right there, you can see a bunch of things that i did differently when i approached this method. I don't think the castor oil is even necessary. And when you go from having loads of oil on your face, to having zero...my theory is that your skin wants to produce more. Oil does such a great job of cleaning your skin, that there is nothing left to form any barrier or moisture for the skin. So i think your glands go into overproduction mode. This is what i have always theorized about this method.

Maybe after steaming your face, and cleansing off all of the left over oil, you could apply a pea sized amount to your entire face. This way you have a clean face with a bit of oil left on it to provide moisture. Also i'd think this would prevent your glands from wanting to go into overdrive, if that theory is correct

Edited by onefatalgoose, 28 July 2012 - 12:37 AM.

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
                                                                            I don't consume:
                                                                                     *Dairy
                                                                               *Whole grains
                                                                             *Refined sugars
                                                                                 *Table salt
                                                                              *Vegetable oils
                                                                        *Processed/Fast foods
                                           *Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
                                                                      As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

#3 Pinklady89

Pinklady89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey everybody,
Has anyone had good success with this?

#4 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey everybody,

It works well for non-hormonal pore blockages and relieving skin irritation.

Edited by Green Gables, 07 August 2012 - 02:46 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#5 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hey everybody,

Too be honest im not willing to try anything new at the moment as everything Ive done lately has made my skin worse.

Im waiting to see a dermatologist first and then go from there.

#6 Pinklady89

Pinklady89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Ok thanks!
I tried it last night with grapeseed oil.. I massaged the grapeseed oil for lk a min and then applied the steamy towel lk 5 times to loosen pores..
Also do you apply fresh new oil at the end?

Hey everybody,

What oils did you use and did your face remain red for a while after? Mine did.. But it looked better the next day

#7 Need Solutions

Need Solutions

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ok thanks!
I tried it last night with grapeseed oil.. I massaged the grapeseed oil for lk a min and then applied the steamy towel lk 5 times to loosen pores..

Hey everybody,

What oils did you use and did your face remain red for a while after? Mine did.. But it looked better the next day

I dont know all the details about it too be honest, but all I would say is type it in on google and read reviews on it and the best ways to do it properly.

There are some on here http://www.makeupall...Brand/Cleansers

There has been alot of people that have said its the best thing ever for their skin but there has also been alot of people that have said it has caused them severe acne after a few weeks, so be very careful with it, I wouldnt want you to follow my advice and end up with bad skin because this wouldnt be good at all. I know how it is to read something on the internet, do it, then severely regret it after, so make sure you get all the facts and know the risks involved first. These observations I made are from reviews of people that seem to have worked out the way to do it properly. But that doesnt necessarily mean that doing it right wont make peoples skin worse.

The honest answer is im not an expert on this so have a look into it properly and if you are going to do it be careful

=)

#8 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ok thanks!

Hi pinklady. Here's a link to one of the main threads that discuss this. Like i said, i'm not a big supporter of castor oil as it is extremely thick stuff. And i'd say it wouldn't be bad to either add a tiny amount of oil at the very end, or you could add something like an ACV toner or even a green tea/sea salt toner. But here's a link to an acne.org thread discussing this

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/141871-the-oil-cleansing-method-highly-recommended/

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
                                                                            I don't consume:
                                                                                     *Dairy
                                                                               *Whole grains
                                                                             *Refined sugars
                                                                                 *Table salt
                                                                              *Vegetable oils
                                                                        *Processed/Fast foods
                                           *Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
                                                                      As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

#9 Pinklady89

Pinklady89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone:)
Im going to go check those links out,.. So far it is looking clearer, im only using grapeseed oil..
Ive read in the reveiw section here a lot of horror stories of it going great the first few weeks, yhen they get the worst acne ever!!
Thanks again guys:)