Photo

For The Ladies: Is Sex Different While On Accutane?

sex accutane dehydration pain side effects lube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hey ladies, I'm a 23 yo female on month 6 of 40mg/day of Accutane. I actually only take it every few days now because it's hard on my body, but it's working miracles and I'm happy with the results.
So I am (technically) sexually active. I was seeing someone right up until I went on Accutane and that was all good.
But I am now seeing someone else, while on Accutane, and things are kind of getting serious.
The thing is, Accutane pretty much robs my body of all fluids. I try to drink a lot of water but a person can only pee so many times a day without attracting weird looks.
I'm worried sex will be unpleasant for this reason... I also haven't told this guy that I'm on Accutane because, well, I don't like to tell people. Especially people that have nice skin... bastards.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Thoughts? Help :/

#2 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

I havent noticed any difference but I am only going into my second month, and I was only on 20mg/day for the first one. Can you not tell by the normal response from your body when you are turned on, or during ovulation etc?

#3 poptartie

poptartie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm glad you asked this question and brought up the subject. To be honest, I have not yet been sexually active yet but it's not to say I won't BECOME sexually active. I am still a bit young (almost 17) but I think about it a lot. haha. I'm more curious about the simple act of having any type of relationship while on accutane. First of all, I'm scared that I will become a horrid looking, scaly beast with lips that are falling off and no one is going to want to date me anyway. Seriously. I'm terrified that I won't be comfortable being intimate on any level while I'm on this medication and I happen to be very interested in guys... I don't want to go 6 months without dating! BTW-I start in 2 weeks. I will be on 30mg for the first month and up to 60mg the second or third.
I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

#4 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Yeah....this has kind of sucked a bit...not too bad, but I'm glad someone brought it up. You can actually get dry down there. I have never had to use lubrication before in my entire life, but I have had to use it on accutane. Just be careful and use some lube...I know it's not ideal, but I went a bit too far with my fiance one day without lube and the tissue down there hurt a bit. Overall, nothing else has changed, so no worries!!!!

:)

You don't have to tell him you're on this medicine either if that bothers you, but make sure to stash whatever you need by the bed somehow if you think it's going to happen. You can always just tell him you're on a medicine that makes your entire body dry...it's just a side effect and it's not forever. lol It's technically telling the truth, but in a more simple way.

#5 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm glad you asked this question and brought up the subject. To be honest, I have not yet been sexually active yet but it's not to say I won't BECOME sexually active. I am still a bit young (almost 17) but I think about it a lot. haha. I'm more curious about the simple act of having any type of relationship while on accutane. First of all, I'm scared that I will become a horrid looking, scaly beast with lips that are falling off and no one is going to want to date me anyway. Seriously. I'm terrified that I won't be comfortable being intimate on any level while I'm on this medication and I happen to be very interested in guys... I don't want to go 6 months without dating! BTW-I start in 2 weeks. I will be on 30mg for the first month and up to 60mg the second or third.
I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

Everyone reacts differently to accutane, but for me and what seems to be the large majority, the first 1-3 months are the worst. I broke out everywhere on my face for almost 4 months :S But i think that's relatively unusual, many people only break out for 1-2 months. I definitely recommend going to the higher dosage sooner than later, since i was on 20mg for about 2 months and broke out soooo much until I was bumped up to 40mg. Of course, listen to what your derm says though. I only take my 40mg pill about 2X per week because I no longer break out and it's much more manageable this way.
You can totally date people while on Accutane! Once the IB is over, you probably won't think toooo much about it.

I'm reporting back now, having rid myself of my sex-while-on-accutane virginity. First, time we had sex, i was SO in my head just psyching myself out, so it was really hard to enjoy. Plus, I mean sex for the first time with a new person is always a little uncomfortable for me. I guess all those factors combined really didn't put me in the mood so... yeah. BUT, second time, I was prepared (with lube), and even just knowing i had that if i needed it totally helped! It was WAY better. I didn't even need it! Mind you, I am taking very little accutane atm. But my advice is don't overthink it, be assertive if you need some lubrication to get things going, and don't be ashamed to pipe up and ask for what ya want.

Also, don't be retarded like me and, erm, get caught up and not use protection... ugh, Plan B it is. And now i have to figure out some sort of non-hormonal birth control like that intense looking copper wire or something lol.

#6 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Not sure about for girls, but myself and others developed long-term (potentially permanent) sexual dysfunction from Accutane.
I can hardly feel a thing during sex and, obviously, this has led to a lot of feelings of unworthiness/depression.
Definitely has drying effects, so I suppose for women, that could be an issue.
I have read other women saying sex became painful while on Accutane.

My advice to you (aside from ditching this extremely dangerous drug) is to tell people you're on it.
Because I kept it secret, too, and it felt like I was having to hide things all the time.
For me as a guy, I thought I'd get bullied if people saw me applying chapstick, so I'd sneak to the toilets every half hour or do it very secretly in class.
Just let it be known that you're taking it.
There's no shame in admitting you have acne.
People appreciate honesty.

All the best with whatever you decide x

#7 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://www.youtube.c...Q&feature=inbox

Here's a video of mine

#8 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

Not sure about for girls, but myself and others developed long-term (potentially permanent) sexual dysfunction from Accutane.
I can hardly feel a thing during sex and, obviously, this has led to a lot of feelings of unworthiness/depression.
Definitely has drying effects, so I suppose for women, that could be an issue.
I have read other women saying sex became painful while on Accutane.

My advice to you (aside from ditching this extremely dangerous drug) is to tell people you're on it.
Because I kept it secret, too, and it felt like I was having to hide things all the time.
For me as a guy, I thought I'd get bullied if people saw me applying chapstick, so I'd sneak to the toilets every half hour or do it very secretly in class.
Just let it be known that you're taking it.
There's no shame in admitting you have acne.
People appreciate honesty.

All the best with whatever you decide x

I appreciate your concern, and I genuinely am sorry for all of the problems this drug has caused you.
That being said, I don't think Accutane should be gotten rid of altogether. I DO think that it should be restricted to people over 18 years old, because oftentimes teens don't grasp the seriousness of it or are actually pushed into taking it by their parent.
I'm sorry that you had no support system. As someone that has dealt with depression and anxiety for almost a decade, I can tell you that I do understand how awful that is. When I went on Accutane though, I made sure to monitor my mood like it was my job. I told all my closest friends that I was taking it so that they wouldn't encourage me to drink and would understand why I couldn't. When I started feeling like the side effects (mostly dryness) was getting to be too much, I scaled back significantly on my dosage. I'm currently only taking about 10mg/day.
Accutane improved my confidence exponentially by clearing up my skin. Responsible, informed, cautious adults should be allowed to take it as a last resort. If you had scaled back or stopped taking it when you first noticed the serious side effects, you almost certainly would not have experienced them long-term; but you're right -- you were just a kid. So I agree that kids shouldn't be given Accutane, especially since there is no way you've tried everything for your skin at age 15. I'm 24 this year, I've tried every topical out there, light therapy, birth control pills, naturopathy potions, sugar and gluten free diet, juice fasts, facials, the regimen, YOU NAME IT. I understand the risks, but to me it is worth it as long as I monitor my body and mind.