Photo

Questions & Concerns About My New Regimen (Involving Retinoids)

retinoid bactrim duac fraxel acne help! desperation

3 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowEater

RainbowEater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

So I just got put on a new regimen by my derm since he ruined my skin with Fraxel without first warning me of the side effects.
I'm supposed to use Duac in the morning, RetinA at night, and take the antibiotic Bactrim twice a day.

Can I use moisturizer with RetinA? How long do I need to wait after applying RetinA to apply moisturizer?
Also, wouldn't Epiduo be more effective since it is the Benzoyl Peroxide and a retinoid in one? Yes, it lacks the clindamycin, but I don't know how effective that is anyways. It seems crazy combining all of these chemicals into one regimen. (Benz, clindamycin, and retinoid)

I'm iffy about putting the Duac on in the morning since I wear make up. Anyone have experience with this? Can I put Duac on at night, wait 30 minutes, then put on RetinA? Or is that overkill?

I'm sorry I have so many questions, but my derm is quite frankly an idiot (I have already found a new one - hopefully more reliable) and he only spent about 5 minutes with me, so I was unable to ask all my questions and express my concerns.

One last question - Bactrim for acne? I'm familiar with this being used to treat infections (UTIs, etc.) but acne? Anyone else been put on this? I know it it vital to take an antibiotic while using the retinoid so I don't get the horrible initial breakout, but I have a full bottle of Doxycycline lying around and I have no idea which one to take. I just want the best results, you know?

Anyone who can answer any of these questions, please, please respond. I am desperate and my skin is in panic mode thanks to the Fraxel. Honestly I've come to believe that dermatologists can be really uninformed and are mostly interested in getting you to pay for expensive procedures without giving you the proper care pre- OR post- treatment or warning you about possible side effects. I paid over $1000 for Fraxel and it left me in worse condition than when I started. Ugh.

#2 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi, sorry about your skin troubles.
Are you using the cream, gel or micro version of retin-a?

#3 RainbowEater

RainbowEater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I actually do not know yet I haven't picked up the prescription yet but I'll post back when I find out.

#4 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I don't know if this is an available option for you, but, if it's the retin-a cream try to get the generic version of just tretinoin cream (in whatever strength is prescribed). I found there to be about a $200 difference than the retin-a brand. There's also generic gel, I believe.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users