Photo

Pantothen Supplement - How Much B5?

vitamin vitamins pantothenic pantothenic acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 ama123

ama123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased 3 bottles of Pantothen from pantothen-au.com in the hopes it will clear my acne which I have had for many years. The bottles I received state that the amount of pantothenic acid per serving of capsules is 2200 mcg, which I understand to mean micrograms. As there are 1000 micrograms in a milligram, this means there is 2.2 mg of pantothenic acid per serving. The bottle states that this is 22,000% of the RDI for pantothenic acid, which I can't make sense of as most sources I have researched state the RDI/RDA for this vitamin is 5 - 10 mg for adults. I have phoned and emailed via the website asking for clarification of the amount of pantothenic acid per capsule, but have received no reply.

Has anyone else tried this product? Maybe these bottles I received are mislabelled? Surely there should be more pantothenic acid per serving than 2.2mg, in order for it to be useful as an acne treatment?? I have read from other posts that people are taking up to 10 grams per day initially to cure their acne.

Any help/clarification from anyone would be much appreciated.

:)

#2 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased 3 bottles of Pantothen from pantothen-au.com in the hopes it will clear my acne which I have had for many years. The bottles I received state that the amount of pantothenic acid per serving of capsules is 2200 mcg, which I understand to mean micrograms. As there are 1000 micrograms in a milligram, this means there is 2.2 mg of pantothenic acid per serving. The bottle states that this is 22,000% of the RDI for pantothenic acid, which I can't make sense of as most sources I have researched state the RDI/RDA for this vitamin is 5 - 10 mg for adults. I have phoned and emailed via the website asking for clarification of the amount of pantothenic acid per capsule, but have received no reply.

Has anyone else tried this product? Maybe these bottles I received are mislabelled? Surely there should be more pantothenic acid per serving than 2.2mg, in order for it to be useful as an acne treatment?? I have read from other posts that people are taking up to 10 grams per day initially to cure their acne.

Any help/clarification from anyone would be much appreciated.

Posted Image

Ummm... I think you MIGHT have read it wrong. This website says that there is 2200 MG:

http://www.elainemummeryacneclinic.com/pantothenic-acic-vitamin-b5-z-61.html

There's also a youtube video with a woman explaining other ingredients in the comments:

As far as safety goes, you should be fine, but next time just go to your local vitamin store and buy B5 (pantothenic acid) and L-Cartinine on their own, preferably 500mg tablets. Those should have absolutely no side effects, but if want to be extra safe just break the tablets in half for the first several days like I did.

Here's a better post that explains it more in detail:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/288705-how-i-cleared-my-acne-after-26-years-try-it/

Hope all this helps :).

#3 ama123

ama123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply to my post. I have checked out those links - interesting stuff. It definitely says "2200 mcg" on my bottle of pantothen, so I'm thinking they must have made a mistake on the label and it should ready "2200 mg".
The most annoying thing is that I"ve emailed the company twice, and also phoned and spoke to a sales rep who said someone would contact me, but no one has replied. Makes me wonder if the company is a bit dodgy! Based on others' posts and info on the web, I am taking half the recommended dosage. Next time I will just buy B5 and L-carnitine from the health shop, as pantothen is expensive. And also try cutting sugar and upping my fibre and vege intake.

Thanks again.

#4 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply to my post. I have checked out those links - interesting stuff. It definitely says "2200 mcg" on my bottle of pantothen, so I'm thinking they must have made a mistake on the label and it should ready "2200 mg".
The most annoying thing is that I"ve emailed the company twice, and also phoned and spoke to a sales rep who said someone would contact me, but no one has replied. Makes me wonder if the company is a bit dodgy! Based on others' posts and info on the web, I am taking half the recommended dosage. Next time I will just buy B5 and L-carnitine from the health shop, as pantothen is expensive. And also try cutting sugar and upping my fibre and vege intake.

Thanks again.

No problem! Those measurements could have also been because of the UN. Those pills are not from the United States, many other companies do tend to type things out a little differently elsewhere. A perfectly understandable mistake :). But yeah, vitamin shops should be able to supply you with several different sizes for B5 and L-Carnitine supplements. There's 100mg, 200mg, 250mg, and 500mg B5 tablets at my shop, along with different quantities in each bottle, and 250mg, 500mg, and 1000mg L-Carnitine pills with several amounts of pills for each bottle as well. The L-Carnitine is way more expensive, so stock up if it's ever on sale. You can also buy the 1000mg if it's cheaper and just break it in half if you prefer.

However, I don't think these pills will have too much of an impact unless you ALSO eat a somewhat good diet, drink more water, and avoid all sugar(s). Not what we all want to hear, but give it a try for a few months, then introduce something back into your diet, like sliced cheese or something. Also, if and when your acne is gone, start lowering the dosages to 250mg, then 100mg, or so fourth until you find a good balance. Also, vitamin C taken with B5 can also help your skin... see my "Vitamin for Dummies" picture in my gallery here ---> http://www.acne.org/...r-dummies-book/ .

Side effects are practically non-existant, but I'd hate to see your other B vitamins get pushed aside just for the sake of your acne! Read up on everything you can and make sure your safety is first!! Best of luck! :D

#5 AndersCh1m

AndersCh1m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi there,

Thanks again.

No problem! Those measurements could have also been because of the UN. Those pills are not from the United States, many other companies do tend to type things out a little differently elsewhere. A perfectly understandable mistake Posted Image. But yeah, vitamin shops should be able to supply you with several different sizes for B5 and L-Carnitine supplements. There's 100mg, 200mg, 250mg, and 500mg B5 tablets at my shop, along with different quantities in each bottle, and 250mg, 500mg, and 1000mg L-Carnitine pills with several amounts of pills for each bottle as well. The L-Carnitine is way more expensive, so stock up if it's ever on sale. You can also buy the 1000mg if it's cheaper and just break it in half if you prefer.

You can buy 1000g of ALCAR for ~30$, that's over a years worth, the B5 is much more expensive. I think you can even buy that for a pretty good price though. check out smartpowders.com. It might be powder, but the taste isn't bad and is much more cost effec

#6 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

You can buy 1000g of ALCAR for ~30$, that's over a years worth, the B5 is much more expensive. I think you can even buy that for a pretty good price though. check out smartpowders.com. It might be powder, but the taste isn't bad and is much more cost effec

Thanks for the site! I'll definitely explore it. Saving more in the long run is always worth the current cost.

Actually, Acetyl L-Carnitine is different than just regular L-Carnitine : http://www.livestron...yl-l-carnitine/ . With that said, you MAY need to take a little less of it. I'm not completely sure. As long as you are all careful and taking it slow, you should still be fine, but I have no personal experience with it at all. The choice is yours.

#7 AndersCh1m

AndersCh1m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the site! I'll definitely explore it. Saving more in the long run is always worth the current cost.

Actually, Acetyl L-Carnitine is different than just regular L-Carnitine : http://www.livestron...yl-l-carnitine/ . With that said, you MAY need to take a little less of it. I'm not completely sure. As long as you are all careful and taking it slow, you should still be fine, but I have no personal experience with it at all. The choice is yours.

I've had a lot more experience with PLCAR and ALCAR than L-carnitine. The carnitine salts are more bioavaiable, with very little potential for toxicity (there is a chance it will become pro-oxidant at higher doses ~2-3g daily for 4+ months, but that can be offset with a diet rich in antioxidants and vitamin c. Overall if you want the neuro benefits of ALCAR, 1-3g daily split into 2 doses will be best. I'm unsure of the regular carnitine benefits, but I'm guessing around 1g would be a good dose for it.

#8 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

I've had a lot more experience with PLCAR and ALCAR than L-carnitine. The carnitine salts are more bioavaiable, with very little potential for toxicity (there is a chance it will become pro-oxidant at higher doses ~2-3g daily for 4+ months, but that can be offset with a diet rich in antioxidants and vitamin c. Overall if you want the neuro benefits of ALCAR, 1-3g daily split into 2 doses will be best. I'm unsure of the regular carnitine benefits, but I'm guessing around 1g would be a good dose for it.

Very interesting! Thanks for the tips, I am going to look more into this for sure. I'm still starting slow though ^_^.

By the way how do you think your acne is doing?

#9 brian1987

brian1987

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Any one who has oily skin have seen improvements?:)
i'm gonna try buying them at vitacost and see how it goes!:)