6 replies to this topic

#1 ReallyRippedAbs

ReallyRippedAbs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hey!
I'm 16 and finally went to a dermatologist for my acne about 6 months ago.
I currently use Aczone in the morning, Epiduo at night, and take 100mg of Minocycline twice a day. I also wash my face with a Gly/Sal cleanser twice a day.

Anyway, I am currently very contempt with my skin and have flattened out my numerous bumps, but I have TONS of discoloration all over my face that isn't noticeable when far away (which is nice), but when up close/in a magnified mirror/in a picture, my face looks like it has made no improvement. It's pretty depressing! Does anyone know of any tricks to get rid of these? I have definitely put in enough time waiting, but my dermatologist has assured me that there is nothing else I can do. PLEASE HELP!

#2 sharontsmiles

sharontsmiles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

The discoloration is several skin layers deep so sloughing away dead skin cells on a consistent basis + time + patience should reveal a brighter and more smoother complexion. You may want to compliment your use of a retinoid (adapalene in Epiduo) with a glycolic acid.

Some users use both. They see results with glycolic acid "overnight." Retinol takes longer because it's working on a deeper level; at least a month to see visible results. You can try the glycolic acid in the AM and use the retinol as PM treatment.

What is your skin type?

The adapalene in Epiduo is a retinol, a form of Vitamin A, and a proven anti-aging product (It is the most gentlest amongst the group of retinoids. Tazarotene is the strongest but potentially more irritating). It is able to penetrate to the lower layers of skin where collagen and elastin reside. These two proteins are responsible for elasticity, tone, and texture.

A glycolic acid will also slough away dead skin cells but it works on the top layer only. It loosens up the dead skin cells and increases cell turnover too. Natural sources are apple cider vinegar (malic and lactic acid), papaya, pineapple, sugar cane juice, tomatoes, pumpkin, goat's milk or yogurt (lactic acid). Your skin will become more sun sensitive with glycolic acid use. Do you wear sunscreen at the moment?

Malic acid : dissolves dead skin cells, fades away dark spots, decrease oil production, clears blackheads

Lactic acid: brighten skin tone, soothe dryness.

Apple Cider Vinegar Toner Recipe:

Bragg's is a popular brand. I use Omega Nutrition.

For dry skin:
Mash papaya and blend in a mixer with apple cider vinegar. Apply on your face to tone it. Try this recipe of wonderful homemade facial/skin toner for dry skin.

For oily skin:

- 2-3 cups of witch hazel
- 1/3 cup of apple vinegar
- 7 drops of lavender essential oil

Mix well all ingredient together .Witch hazel is a great astringent and [color=#009900 !important]apple cider vinegar[/color][color=#333333] maintains the PH balance of your skin. And lavender roil soothes the sensitive skin. [/color]

Best efforts and let me know how it goes. Cheers

#3 ReallyRippedAbs

ReallyRippedAbs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thank you so much for all of this information!:)
I currently use a Glycolic/Salicylic Cleanser for my face. Do you know of a prescription medicine that contains glycolic acid that I could ask my dermatologist for? Also have you had any experience with honey and lemon face masks? I've read that they do wonders in shedding away the dead skin to get rid of the marks.

Thank you again for so much help!

Hayden

In the meantime I am definitely going to try your mask recipe!:)

#4 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Epiduo DOES work for the red marks. I'm proof that it does. It's a long process but it helps.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hey!
I'm 16 and finally went to a dermatologist for my acne about 6 months ago.
I currently use Aczone in the morning, Epiduo at night, and take 100mg of Minocycline twice a day. I also wash my face with a Gly/Sal cleanser twice a day.

Anyway, I am currently very contempt with my skin and have flattened out my numerous bumps, but I have TONS of discoloration all over my face that isn't noticeable when far away (which is nice), but when up close/in a magnified mirror/in a picture, my face looks like it has made no improvement. It's pretty depressing! Does anyone know of any tricks to get rid of these? I have definitely put in enough time waiting, but my dermatologist has assured me that there is nothing else I can do. PLEASE HELP!

Ask your derm if you can switch to Differin or another retinoid instead of Epiduo. Epiduo is Differin + Benzoyl Peroxide. A lot of people can't tolerate benzoyl peroxide. It makes my red marks worse. Since you are already taking Minocycline to kill bacteria, you don't really need the Benzoyl.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#6 sharontsmiles

sharontsmiles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi Hayden, sorry for the late reply.

How did the ACV recipe work for you? In addition, some users take 2 tbsp of ACV 2-3 time per day to keep their skin clear. I mix it with water and sip with a straw so the ACV doesn't touch my teeth.

It is great that you asked about lemon and honey mask! Check out the reviews > Acne/Spot Treatments > Manuka Honey Reviews. Both ingredients are natural forms of alpha hydroxy acids, which is great for speeding up the exfoliation process.

Honey and lemon juice mask has done well for many people. I use a few drops with my apple cider vinegar toner. Lemon contains citric acid exfoliates cells and help brighten acne scars and blemishes. Its also a high source of vitamin C.

Raw honey is great for a mask. It's antibacterial and contains moisturizing amino acids. Raw honey also has gluconic acid, a mild alpha hydroxy acid. Some people also use it to cleanse their face.

Manuka honey can be a bit pricey. In Toronto, Canada, Yummy Supermarket, a European themed supermarket, sells a wide range of natural remedies and beauty products, including essential oils and Sea Buckthorn Fruit and Seed oil.

Right now I am reading The Acne Prescription by Dr. Perricone. This forum carries many reviews on his theories and supplement use. I am experimenting with Alpha Lipoic Acid and DMAE to heal my acne scars. I had a massive breakout in June/July due to the humidity here. Fortunately,I found a homemade recipe here by Veronica.

Recipe for Alpha Lipoic Homemade Cream

4 x 100 DMAE capsules
4 x 100 Alpha Lipoic Acid capsules
1 x 1000mg Ester C (fat-soluble vitamin C). Substitute: Copper Peptides
3 tsp olive oil (or emu or jojoba oil)
2 tsp of Cetaphil cream for sensitive skin or another neutral/inert cream.

Some users add 1 liquid capsule of CoQ10.
You can adjust the recipe to your preference

- for better absorption, use the liquid form
- best to use at night; shake bottle prior to application
- can be applied over retin A
- leaves a residue on pillowcase but can be washed off

This recipe could help the red marks fade quickly.

I understand it is frustrating when results don't come as quickly as we like. Every one here knows the feeling :)
Be patient and consistent and results will come. Cheers!

Best efforts!

#7 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Moved to the correct forum! =)

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Poor Kairasa thinks she has a yen
For those clean-cut young Ivy League men.
Although they look cute
In their blazers and suits,
They can only get it up now and then.

"Bottom line is, even if you see 'em coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So what are we, helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users