Photo

Turmeric Heals My Cysts!

turmeric holistic spices indian oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 MidnightCity

MidnightCity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi guys. I haven't been here in years (couldn't remember my old password so I made a new account!). Quick backstory: I developed mild acne when I was 13 which progressed to moderate and then moderate-severe acne by the time I was 16. I had an underlying hormonal issue (possibly PCOS) that didn't rear it's head until I started puberty. I believe it's an androgen excess as I'm a girl and have oily skin, excess hair, etc. etc.

Fast forward to now. I'm 20 and have been on birth control for about three years. My acne is currently under control, unless I need to double up pills if I forgot one. When I do this I'll get a cyst or two on my chin and/or jaw. Now I know being in the holistic sub-forum I'm sure plenty of you have a lot to say about birth control but I'm not here to talk about that.

A few months ago I discovered turmeric. I don't remember how...just stumbled upon it on the Internet, I'm sure. I read that it was a powerful anti-inflammatory so I thought I'd give it a try (not to curb breakouts, but to calm hyperpigmentation and just have clearer, brighter skin). I picked some up from the grocery store. I started putting about a teaspoon full in my morning smoothies, and did this for a few weeks. It did make my skin look a bit brighter but nothing too amazing. At this time I wasn't breaking out.

At some point I ended up forgetting a pill and having to double up. Sure enough, the next day I woke up with a budding cyst on my chin. It was underground and painful to the touch, red, etc. Desperate, I went to my local health store and bought gelatin capsules. With these I made my own turmeric pills (I don't have a machine, just did it by hand). That night I took four pills before I went to bed.

The next morning I woke up and the cysts were beginning to heal. Not as painful, not as red. I was amazed because my cysts take FOREVER to heal. I'm one of those people that will have a bad cyst for weeks.

As I'm sure you can guess, I took more pills that night. Woke up and the cysts were nearly gone. They were gone completely within a couple days.

I've since done the same thing whenever a cyst pops up and the turmeric heals them every time. It's amazing to me because previously NOTHING worked for me - internally or externally. I did all the diet stuff, I did all the topical stuff. I'm pretty cynical about "cures" (and still wouldn't want to call turmeric that).

Anyways, I really wanted to share my experience with you guys. I have to buy the tiny bottles of turmeric from my grocery store for around $4 because I don't have any Indian supermarkets near me (I've heard you can buy big bags there for under a dollar). I can't speak to the efficacy of those pre-made, condensed pills because I've never tried them. The loose powder works well for me. And for the record, I have tried turmeric as a mask as well. It didn't do anything too amazing for me (although I've heard it's a miracle for others) so it wasn't worth the mess and inconvenience to continue, but I might try it again.

As with everything, this obviously won't work for everyone. But it's safe, you can't overdo it, and it doesn't affect hormones like some other herbs and spices (at least I'm pretty positive of this - if anyone has more information, please feel free to share it).

Please try this for a few days and post about your results! :)

#2 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

I want to start taking tumeric in capsules, and doubling up on it around my period. I believe it could help me with the inflammation in my body.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

I want to start taking tumeric in capsules, and doubling up on it around my period. I believe it could help me with the inflammation in my body.

Yeah, I think countering inflammation might be the only thing you can do for your acne since it seems to have nothing to do with cell desquammation. And since you already eat an ant inflammatory diet, maybe you need something really powerful. Need to get FSAS to try it before her period.

But for you, maybe you should try things that are also antihistamine like proanthocyanins such as black raspberry capsules. And a lot of vitamin c. Although turmeric/curcumin might contain antihistamine substances as wel.

Edited by alternativista, 20 July 2012 - 06:43 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Yeah, I think countering inflammation might be the only thing you can do for your acne since it seems to have nothing to do with cell desquammation. And since you already eat an ant inflammatory diet, maybe you need something really powerful. Need to get FSAS to try it before her period.

But for you, maybe you should try things that are also antihistamine like proanthocyanins such as black raspberry capsules. And a lot of vitamin c.

Interesting that you say that, because I've only recently started taking vitamin C. I probably haven't taken vitamin C for years. I always thought I didn't need it since my diet is healthy, but I'm probably not getting the amounts I need from my one fruit smoothie in the morning, and one big salad/veggie meal at night. I'm now taking 1000mgs of ester C per day.

I've never heard of the black raspberry capsules, but I'll look into it. I've experimented with raspberry leaf tea bit in the past but I've never been able to tell for sure if it does anything for my cycles.

It's just...crazy how intense my cycles are. I ovulate right with the new moon and get my period right with the full moon. The new moon was last night and I'm ovulating right now. I can FEEL it, so intensely. It feels like my left ovary is splitting open, and my whole abdomen is inflamed and painful. I can't understand why my cycles are so rough but all I can think is I'm inflamed somehow. For a long time gut healing was my mission, and it still is, but I think I need to start focusing on the anti inflammatory angle more now. I'm going to pick up some empty gelcaps soon so I can fill them with tumeric and see what happens....

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

But for you, maybe you should try things that are also antihistamine like proanthocyanins such as black raspberry capsules. And a lot of vitamin c.

Interesting that you say that, because I've only recently started taking vitamin C. I probably haven't taken vitamin C for years. I always thought I didn't need it since my diet is healthy, but I'm probably not getting the amounts I need from my one fruit smoothie in the morning, and one big salad/veggie meal at night. I'm now taking 1000mgs of ester C per day.

I've never heard of the black raspberry capsules, but I'll look into it. I've experimented with raspberry leaf tea bit in the past but I've never been able to tell for sure if it does anything for my cycles.

It's just...crazy how intense my cycles are. I ovulate right with the new moon and get my period right with the full moon. The new moon was last night and I'm ovulating right now. I can FEEL it, so intensely. It feels like my left ovary is splitting open, and my whole abdomen is inflamed and painful. I can't understand why my cycles are so rough but all I can think is I'm inflamed somehow. For a long time gut healing was my mission, and it still is, but I think I need to start focusing on the anti inflammatory angle more now. I'm going to pick up some empty gelcaps soon so I can fill them with tumeric and see what happens....

You need vitamin c throughout the day as they say it passes through in about 4 hours max.

Do you have cysts on your ovaries? I knew that some could feel when they ovulate, but I never heard anything like that.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#6 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Maybe, but I have no way of knowing... I've never had medical insurance and haven't been to a doctor in about five or six years now...

Morning:

Evening:

#7 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

I add turmeric to curries but I'd like to try extra turmeric to reduce inflammation but I think you have to take it with a fat (usually milk). What do you take yours with?

#8 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Wow, turmeric is just amazing. I try to mix it in with a lot of my meals. I'm glad to hear that it has really helped heal for you. :)

I read that black pepper helps increase the bioavailability of the curcumin in turmeric. Do you add pepper to your homemade pills? I'm interested in making some myself now. I wasn't really aware that you could make your own, I guess I never really thought about it.

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#9 MidnightCity

MidnightCity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I add turmeric to curries but I'd like to try extra turmeric to reduce inflammation but I think you have to take it with a fat (usually milk). What do you take yours with?

I just take mine with water!

Wow, turmeric is just amazing. I try to mix it in with a lot of my meals. I'm glad to hear that it has really helped heal for you. Posted Image

I read that black pepper helps increase the bioavailability of the curcumin in turmeric. Do you add pepper to your homemade pills? I'm interested in making some myself now. I wasn't really aware that you could make your own, I guess I never really thought about it.

Nope, I don't add pepper. Just the plain loose turmeric powder in the capsules, taken with water.

#10 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yes it is true that black pepper and turmeric work great together. I'm not sure the science behind it (but I plan on researching this soon), but it somehow helps increase the power of the turmeric.

Morning:

Evening:

#11 Rawhide

Rawhide

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Tried turmeric / curcumin of full bottle. Did nothing except disable my ability to get full erection.

#12 MidnightCity

MidnightCity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Tried turmeric / curcumin of full bottle. Did nothing except disable my ability to get full erection.

That's unfortunate.

#13 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

That is very strange indeed. I really don't understand how such a thing could happen. Are you 100% sure it was that?

Morning:

Evening:

#14 Rawhide

Rawhide

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I found the connection pretty clear. It wasn't total erectile dysfunction but very clear "lack of strength". I've read couple of similar reports from it. Curcumin is potent anti-inflammatory so it's not that hard to believe. It reduces nitric oxide etc.

#15 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Interesting. Ah well, I'm a girl so I guess I don't have to worry about that. I want to do an experiment and then blog about it, I'm just not sure how to do it in a controlled way, as I've been trying a lot of new things to improve my health lately. But my empty gelcaps are on the way, I ordered them yesterday. They should get here by tuesday and then I'm going to be blasting my system with this stuff and see what happens. It's a good time to test it because I am right before my period and super inflamed. :(

Morning:

Evening:

#16 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I took my first dose of turmeric tonight (along with a nice amount on my sweet potatoes with dinner). I took 4 full capsules, and I swear, I think my system does feel a bit calmed down from it. Could just be my imagination though. We'll see how I'm doing in a few days. I'm going to do 4 per day on regular days, and 8 per day right before and during my period.

Morning:

Evening:

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I just remembered. There are turmeric tea recipes in the Drink Recipe thread: http://www.acne.org/...es/page__st__20

So what is your technique for filling gel caps to make as little mess as possible. Considering it stains.

#18 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

I just fill them. It does stain. I look like I have some sort of disturbing yellow nail fungus or something, lol. I suppose I could use gloves but I don't really care.

Oh, I should update while I'm here-- Since taking the turmeric I've seen major improvements, which has further convinced me that my issues are autoimmune and inflammation related, probably from damaged/leaky gut and hormones being out of balance. I'd say supplementing turmeric at the level I'm currently doing has taken down my inflammation by at least half.

Morning:

Evening:

#19 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I read that black pepper helps increase the bioavailability of the curcumin in turmeric.

Yes it is true that black pepper and turmeric work great together. I'm not sure the science behind it (but I plan on researching this soon), but it somehow helps increase the power of the turmeric.

It does, the piperine in black pepper is responsible for it, it enhances the bioavailability of curcumin by up to 2000%, if I'm not mistaken. I must have an old study about it somewhere, I'll look it up and post it.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#20 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Awesome, I cover all the food I eat in both of those. :D 2000% power! Woo hoo! *runs away*

Morning:

Evening: