Photo

Topical L-Carnitine To Reduce Sebum Production?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

A recent 2012 study "Topically applied l-carnitine effectively reduces sebum secretion in human skin" showed that a formulation of 2% L-Carnitine applied to the skin significantly reduced sebum production within 2-3 weeks.

I've been thinking about giving this a try by adding L-Carnitine to my moisturizer.

You can read the full study here:
http://onlinelibrary...11.00597.x/full

Current Regimen
- Diet: Following GAPS-like Paleo since 8/23/2012. Supplementing with several probiotics, zinc, krill oil, b-complex, gp cod liver oil
- Topical: Finacea
- Exercise: 3-5 days per week fasted exercise in morning

Notable Test Results
- Fasting Insulin: 8/3/2012 - 9.8 mIU/ml; 11/15/2012 - 4.5 mIU/ml (optimal is 2-6)
- Intestinal Permeability: 5/30/2012 - Very high for lactulose (>2 stdev from normal)

#2 ions

ions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

That is interesting. I just started using L-carnitine in combination with B5 orally. Will you break up the pill and mix it in with your moisturizer?

#3 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, I'm going to mix in some L-Carnitine (from a capsule) with my moisturizer and check if it actually affects my sebum excretion rate or not. According to the study, I should see a measurable affect (via SebuTape) within 2-3 weeks.

That is interesting. I just started using L-carnitine in combination with B5 orally. Will you break up the pill and mix it in with your moisturizer?

Current Regimen
- Diet: Following GAPS-like Paleo since 8/23/2012. Supplementing with several probiotics, zinc, krill oil, b-complex, gp cod liver oil

Notable Test Results
- Fasting Insulin: 8/3/2012 - 9.8 mIU/ml; 11/15/2012 - 4.5 mIU/ml (optimal is 2-6)
- Intestinal Permeability: 5/30/2012 - Very high for lactulose (>2 stdev from normal)

#4 jetaime

jetaime

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Interested in your results! Keep us posted(:

#5 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

After 3 weeks of applying topical L-Carnitine with my moisturizer, I didn't really notice any difference in my oiliness Posted Image I confirmed this observation with Sebutape measurements (attached). Maybe better results could be achieved with a different delivery medium, though the L-Carnitine seemed to get absorbed by my skin pretty well.

Attached Files

Edited by BSider, 11 August 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Current Regimen

Notable Test Results

#6 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

FANTASTIC!! The first person I've ever seen who used Sebutape Skin Indicators, besides myself! Posted Image

I'm a little confused, though, about how you did the test: did you wash your skin first, before applying the Skin Indicators after waiting for a while? Did you really wait for an entire HOUR, first? The second one does appear slightly less greasy, although maybe not as much as you had hoped...

#7 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm a little confused, though, about how you did the test: did you wash your skin first, before applying the Skin Indicators after waiting for a while? Did you really wait for an entire HOUR, first?

Haha, yes I ordered the Sebutape a while back after reading how you measured your sebum excretion during your no-face-washing experiment.

Here's the procedure I used for measuring:

1. Wake up, eat breakfast and wait an hour (to make sure the sebum is flowing)
2. Wash face and wait 5 min to dry
3. Apply isopropyl alcohol to sebum measurement area
4. Set timer for 1hr and wait
5. Apply Sebutape and hold for 5 seconds
6. Blot the area with Gatsby oil blotting sheets to soak up excess oil
7. Repeat (4)-(6) two more times
8. Of the three Sebutape samples, choose the sample that looks closest to the "average" of the three (for me they all looked pretty similar).

The second one does appear slightly less greasy, although maybe not as much as you had hoped...

The 8/11 sample does appear to be slightly less oily -- I tried converting both samples to black and white in Photoshop (via Image->Adjustments->Threshold) and then measured the black:white pixel ratio via the Histogram. The 7/22 sample had a ratio of .109 and the 8/11 sample had a ratio of .104. Unfortunately, only a 5% decrease.

Current Regimen

Notable Test Results

#8 microbiek

microbiek

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

The only thing i'd suggest is taking multiple samples 3+ before the ALCAR taken at different times then 3+ after at the same times just to be thorough! The 5% difference could be due to so many other factors. Ideally you should fast before taking the measurements so the food you have eaten isnt a variable!

#9 radikal

radikal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

can anyone else attempt to replicate the results of this study? I will do the same when I get more ALCAR.