Photo
- - - - -

What Else Can I Try For My Back And Shoulder Acne?

back acne shoulder acne body acne treatment vitamin d vitamin b gluten

2 replies to this topic

#1 idoitftw

idoitftw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the boards and am seeking advice on what else I can do for my body acne on my back and shoulders.

I've had the problem since puberty and it use to be on my face, neck, and chest, but thankfully those areas are now 99% clear. The problem remains all around my shoulders and along the outer edges of my back. I even have occasional problem on my buttock during summer, but that area isn't as concerning to me.

Here is what I've tried to do:
- I wear loose fitting clothing without much restriction in the arms ad chest.
- I eliminated most forms of wheat, rye, and barley that could of been causing me gluten reactions. I have just this week eliminated the last couple forms of gluten (that I know of) that remained in my diet.
- I have tried using Selsun Blue as a body wash and seen some success, but my skin seems to eventually adapt and stop the effectiveness.
- I wash with a soap bar very gently and it is for sensitive skin types like mine.
- I got off of expensive topical cream because I didn't feel they were very effective.
- I've tried Benzoyl Peroxide, Tea Tree Oil, Nelson's Acne Gel, and salicylic acid, all to some mild success.
- I take between 2,000-4,000 IU of Vitamin D daily. I'm also going to up my Vitamin B intake.
- My stress level is somewhat higher recently, but I try to keep it under control.

I notice that any pressure against my skin seems to cause an outbreak in the region and laying on a mattress for many hours is the only pressure constantly against my back.

Any other thoughts or advice?

#2 FlyBoy

FlyBoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Try AHA. It worked great for me. Give it a shot.

#3 enjoy

enjoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

my back/chest/shoulders have been doing decent (almost "good" even, but I don't wanna jinx it) lately and while I'm not sure what to attribute it's recent "clearness" to, here's basically what I've been doing.

-I've gotten quite a bit of sun lately, purposely trying to burn my back/body a little bit, obviously not extreme sunburns but I aim for my skin to have at least good pinkish redness before bed that night that causes really light and painless peeling a few days later. Again, not hardcore burns that cause deep painful peeling. Not only does it mask most of the redness and blemishes once you develop a decent tan but it does in fact seem to "dry out" existing spots and scabs dry up and heal/fall off quicker. Whether this is broscience or not, I don't know, but it's like getting a slight burn on the area causes the skin in that area to go into a healing/recuperation mode and this seems to beneficially effect the acne....oh and of course this is pretty much covering me for vitamin D which is part of the goal, too.

-In the shower I use a basic foaming neutrogena 2% salicylic acid cleanser on my back/neck/shoulders/chest most days but a few times a week I'll skip a day and just not touch it with anything at all. I also have stopped harshly scrubbing it on with a loofah sponge. Instead I just use my hands to spread the suds around really well then I'll step away from the water stream and let it sit and work a few minutes while I brush my teeth or something while I wait. On the days where I do this, I spray the washed areas with a weak citric acid and water solution as a toner. You could do the vinegar+water that most do but I find it stinks and citric acid powder/crystals is less of a hassle to deal with IMO, plus a salt shaker sized citric acid bottle is extremely cheap and you only use about 1/4 teaspoon to about 1liter of water so it could last years and therefore way cheaper in the long run than constantly diluting expensive apple cider vinegar. I'd rather just drink the vinegar for it's supposed benefits.

-Zinc. I had finished a bottle about a month ago and hadn't gotten another one until about a week or two ago, and the period where I wasn't taking zinc was definitely a bad skin time for me and the zinc calmed it right down shortly after starting it up again. I'll consider that my proof for zinc's effectiveness for now. (I'm talking about inflamed red acne here. Zinc doesn't seem to do anything for my comedonal issues, which is what I mostly suffer from)
I take 50mg/1 pill a day with a large meal, usually dinner, a day and buy the cheapest I can find which is the equate/walmart brand. I use zinc citrate because it's the cheapest "good" zinc form there is. (like 4$ for 100 pills) You want to be using citrate, gluconate, picolinate, etc, the acidified ones and not something like zinc oxide or carbonate. I wouldn't take any more than 50mg's nor any less but make sure to take with food as it can cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach.

think that's about it and my back hasn't been this acceptable to me in years... I'm sure it's mostly because of the tan masking the scars and discoloured spots but I usually consistently have a few active swollen/red/painful spots on my back at all times. I might even have the courage to take my shirt off in front of people and go swimming if it keeps up, which I haven't done many times in the last decade or so... only with my ex and only when we were alone...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users