Photo

Can A Significant Diet Change Cause Purging/detox Of Skin? Diet Help Or Advice?

chromium zinc gluten juicing probiotic aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

So, beyond advice on my new diet, does anyone know if significant changes like mine can cause purging or detox of the skin? And if you do have any knowledge or experience about this, how long does it last?

I'm still looking into it. It's not an easy question to answer. Once more, those who detox their liver, gut, and colon actually end up having smoother skin anyway, so I would consider skin to be only second hand as to what's actually going on in the body. If you focus on the skin, you may be ignoring the "cause" for that particular skin issue. Like putting infinite bandaids on something that may actually be causing you more harm, if and when it ever does effect you in life. But it's a difficult thing to explain...

... I've heard of bathing in the sea, but with the Eighth Continent floating around it tends to make that particular thought somewhat nauseous to me. Some people enjoy mud baths, however, but there are specific recipes for specific kinds of mud, not to mention the mud has to either be hot or cold for them to work. I have never used exfoliating masks (that green like paste) although the majority of the world swears by it. I find those statistics and results a bit skewed and irregular.

Also, acne is an inflammatory disease. Some like to call it the "diabetes of the skin". If you just so happen to find a regime that works for you, whether it be topical or nutritional, I'm afraid you are looking at a permanent schedule, and a lifestyle that can not be changed for an extremely long time. It depends on your acne and how tolerant your body is to certain medicines. I wouldn't suggest going all natural, but I would completely start from scratch... remember as much as you can since you were walking on your own, every pop and candy you ate whether or not you were completely aware of it, and combine that with other habits that may have aggravated your acne prone skin. You'll probably get a complex formula that somehow remains with you until you not only FORCE it out but literally maintain and prevent the problem from ever coming back. There was a guy I knew in college who came back one semester after summer and lost all his undesired weight. He had hard abs and a glowing physic. Well, just staying away from bad food and getting good sleep wasn't enough, he regained half the weight (under strict supervision from all his friends and some of his family), and they all came to the conclusion that he just had to unfortunately exercise aggressively for the rest of his adult life. I find that a little hard to believe, but I do believe that it will take a long time to fix something like acne.

Today is my third day on my homemade vegetable juice (without any meds other than a multivitamin), with no sugar, no bad foods, and a workout regime at the gym all set up (already went for 2 days for 3 hours), and it's STILL discouraging to wake up and see my pores gushing out oil. Where it comes from, even with a healthy diet, I'll never know, but it's coming from the inside, so anything you do to effect the inside of your body seems to be the best and most logical approach to a "detox" for now, but I welcome any and all opinions on that :). I have been fooled before and it isn't pretty, but it's not practical for me to keep on saying this either. Still, I'm looking into it, so don't give up yourself ^_^.

08/20/13: Acne is gone!! Success thread here ---> http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/333646-milk-free-diet-cleared-my-cystic-acne-and/ 

--------------------

My Regimen: Dairy, Sugar, Caffeine, and *mostly* Gluten FREE Diet.

My Previous Regimen Here: http://www.acne.org/...6-years-try-it/
My FAQ's Are Written Here: http://www.acne.org/...t-day-and-faqs/

My Experiences with Dan's Regimen: http://www.acne.org/...t-acne-regimen/

#22 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

There's no real basis to any detox or purging reactions.

Let's keep in mind that acne is somewhat cyclical condition. There are days when your skin is better and there are days when it gets worse - without you doing anything.

But the human brain is somewhat fallible and it needs to find meaning in everything. So it doesn't necessarily mean anything that your skin got a bit worse recently. Most likely that's your new 'baseline' acne level from where it fluctuates a bit.

The fact remains that acne has a huge genetic component and most people just don't get completely clear with diet. Diet helps by minimizing inflammation and somewhat stabilizing hormone levels. But acne-prone skin is quite sensitive to hormones and even at normal levels androgens can cause acne.

#23 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, sepsi.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll just have to keep pushing through because so far, things haven't gotten much better. In all honesty, it seems like I'm breaking out more than usual.

I'll keep trying with the diet though, because either way, it's good for you!

#24 rachelsskin

rachelsskin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I recently started a gluten-free, dairy-free, and (added & refined) sugar-free diet. In just six days, my skin improved dramatically. I took a picture on the first day and a picture on the sixth day, and when I put them together I was shocked. Now I am on day ten, and althought I am still breaking out, my skin is much less red and the acne I do have is less inflamed. My skin overall looks much better. In addition to eating as clean as I do, I drink green tea and green smoothies nearly daily. I think I'm going to start juicing though, and trim the fruits to add more veggies.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to show my before and after photos here. I suck at message boards! I started a blog a few days ago on Tumblr, though, so I'll link you to my pictures there: http://acnefreehopef...efore-and-after

I did break out a bit a couple days after these photos were taken, but only within two inches around my mouth. The rest of my face is getting more and more clear each day. I think this is due to hormes, maybe. Or possibly that I haven't completely cut out gluten? I wonder if oatmeal counts. Also, I wonder if I can still eat things like gluten-free bread. Anyone know about this?

Here's what I've been eating:
  • brown rice
  • chick peas, kidney beans, and black beans
  • lean turkey, tuna, or salmon
  • garlic and olive oil
  • almonds
  • apples
  • bananas
  • eggs
  • spinach and kale
  • Lara bars (which I’m thinking of ruling out, they don’t taste that good and I feel like they might have broken my skin out a little bit.)
  • Kind bars (just the coconut one, the others have too many other kinds of nuts)
  • broccoli
  • green smoothies (kale/spinach, celery, carrots, banana, mixed frozen fruit)
  • sweet potatoes
  • almond butter
  • oatmeal
  • strawberries
  • green tea
  • chai tea with vanilla almond milk
  • lots of water

Good luck on your diet and progress, man. It's impressive when someone is so strict on themselves. I know it's hard, but push through! If you give up you will never know, atleast that's what I keep telling myself.

#25 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

I recently started a gluten-free, dairy-free, and (added & refined) sugar-free diet. In just six days, my skin improved dramatically. I took a picture on the first day and a picture on the sixth day, and when I put them together I was shocked. Now I am on day ten, and althought I am still breaking out, my skin is much less red and the acne I do have is less inflamed. My skin overall looks much better. In addition to eating as clean as I do, I drink green tea and green smoothies nearly daily. I think I'm going to start juicing though, and trim the fruits to add more veggies.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to show my before and after photos here. I suck at message boards! I started a blog a few days ago on Tumblr, though, so I'll link you to my pictures there: http://acnefreehopef...efore-and-after

I did break out a bit a couple days after these photos were taken, but only within two inches around my mouth. The rest of my face is getting more and more clear each day. I think this is due to hormes, maybe. Or possibly that I haven't completely cut out gluten? I wonder if oatmeal counts. Also, I wonder if I can still eat things like gluten-free bread. Anyone know about this?

Here's what I've been eating:

• brown rice
  • chick peas, kidney beans, and black beans
  • lean turkey, tuna, or salmon
  • garlic and olive oil
  • almonds
  • apples
  • bananas
  • eggs
  • spinach and kale
  • Lara bars (which I’m thinking of ruling out, they don’t taste that good and I feel like they might have broken my skin out a little bit.)
  • Kind bars (just the coconut one, the others have too many other kinds of nuts)
  • broccoli
  • green smoothies (kale/spinach, celery, carrots, banana, mixed frozen fruit)
  • sweet potatoes
  • almond butter
  • oatmeal
  • strawberries
  • green tea
  • chai tea with vanilla almond milk
  • lots of water
Good luck on your diet and progress, man. It's impressive when someone is so strict on themselves. I know it's hard, but push through! If you give up you will never know, atleast that's what I keep telling myself.

Rachelsskin, I really like your diet Posted Image. And good job with your face! It's somewhat noticeable, but make sure you give your regime(s) 3 months TOTAL to work. Espeically if you have menstural cycles every month, the hormones in your body are not use to your diet yet, so I guarantee right now that you will still break out for the next few months. I would definitely recommend juicing more than green smoothies because it actually tastes a lot better.

Every morning I juice and drink 2 ups (1 pint):

3 carrots
1 celery stick
1/4 or 1/2 (depending on the size) beet root
1 cm sliced lemon
1 tomato
1/2 sweet potato
1/2 cucumber

I adopted my regime from this post here: http://www.acne.org/...6-years-try-it/

My diet is a lot like yours but I changed my bread to whole grain/oat/nut bread though. I also eat several more fruits though since I believe that fruits should be eaten in between meals, not during. Especially bananas.

I added the slice of lemon to my juice to give it an small kick, but you can also put an apple in your juice if you want. This is my sixth day on my own vegetable juice and I am starting to loose the redness in my cheeks too, but it's so very very very slight. Also, if you drink a homemade vegetable juice instead, you can munch on fruit or anything else throughout the day without feeling too over stuffed.

You can also do what I do in the morning and make a one or two egg omelet with omega 3 induced extra virgin olive oil (or just regular extra virgin olive oil), small bits of chopped turkey or bacon, fresh parsley with most of the stems cut off (I tend to like the stems though), and crushed back pepper Posted Image.

Edited by TreatAcne, 18 July 2012 - 09:02 PM.

08/20/13: Acne is gone!! Success thread here ---> http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/333646-milk-free-diet-cleared-my-cystic-acne-and/ 

--------------------

#26 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Quick update everyone!

Well, it's been 4 weeks or so on my new diet and, sadly, I have not seen any significant difference in my acne :(. I will continue to eat healthy but will no longer deprive myself of my wheat based starches and carbs, as I have been losing weight. With my height, workout regimen, and body type, I just can't afford to lose ANY weight at all.

Hopefully I'll see some sort of progress in the next month.

#27 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I think you are trying too hard and putting too much stress. Cut down the supplements and stop lifting weights see how it goes. Also for the juice 1 cup is enough carrot,cucumber,celery. Eat the rest whole.

#28 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Quick update everyone!

Well, it's been 4 weeks or so on my new diet and, sadly, I have not seen any significant difference in my acne Posted Image. I will continue to eat healthy but will no longer deprive myself of my wheat based starches and carbs, as I have been losing weight. With my height, workout regimen, and body type, I just can't afford to lose ANY weight at all.

Hopefully I'll see some sort of progress in the next month.

Keep going, but yeah go ahead and seldom eat whole grain/wheat breads like I do. I would seriously give your juicing around 3 months.... MAYBE six, before completely giving up. And please be safe and careful! Don't loose any more weight! XD

Best of luck for another month! :D

--------------------

#29 johndoe1181

johndoe1181

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

You don't even need to do an official detox - just eat right for your body. Americans especially, eat too much meat and sugar in their diet. Eating healthy is a really great way for your body to stablize itself and will reduce the frequency of pimples.

Here's an example of my daily diet:

low sugar cereal with soy milk along with a glass of OJ for breakfast
home cooked baked salmon, asparagus and steamed brown rice for lunch
multi-grain pasta with marinara sauce, chicken tossed on top (sometimes shrimp)

I don't drink soda and I only drink alcohol on the weekends and sparingly. I find that alcohol also makes me break out.

You really need to put a concerted effort if you want less acne, it's not an overnight success. I would go here and sign-up for the newsletter where they show you how you can live better and stuff you can do now to improve your acne immediately. After trying countless OTC drugs and perscribtion drugs, I found this to be something that truly works naturally and is not rough on your skin since you don't put anything on it. Just follow the direction, clean your face gently and lead a healthy lifestyle. It does work!

Yulia)))

Edited by johndoe1181, 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM.