Photo

Can A Significant Diet Change Cause Purging/detox Of Skin? Diet Help Or Advice?

chromium zinc gluten juicing probiotic aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

How's it going everybody!

Well, I'm new to participating in this community (long time reader and site-surfer) and I need to figure something out. Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I adopted an entirely new diet; one that I hope will assist with finding the real underlying reason for my acne.

A little bit of background:

I've had acne since I was 13 years old - I'm 18 now and heading into college (I'm a guy by the way). At first it was mild/slightly moderate with occasional inflamed pimples. I went to the derm and was prescribed clindamycin, differin, and doxycycline and the acne was gone! I was so happy! But after about a year, the acne came back and became moderate/severe - occasional cysts with mostly inflamed acne. I was so depressed =[.

After trial and error with minocycline and other products, I went on Accutane. After 8 months of hell, my acne was gone, and I thought for good. However, 7 months later, it slowly crept back to the surface of my face. That's when I went on a paranoid frenzy of trying to find the right products, the right prescription, the right regimen, the right supplement, etc. nothing was working well.

I've been on (in no particular order) in their full courses:

- Doxy
- Mino
- Bactrim
- Erythromycin
- Benzaclin
- Clindamycin
- Benzamycin
- Differin .1 and .3
- Aczone
- Duac
- BP
- Ziana
- Veltin
- Sodium Sulfacetamide Suspension
- And the grandaddy... Accutane

After countless errors through all of my trials, what has calmed my face down the most is washing gently (almost like in the Acne.org Regimen way) with mild foaming cleanser and simply applying a moisturizer like Vanicream Lite afterwords. I spot treat problem areas with some things, but that's about it. I've also been taking the typical vitamins that are "supposed" to help acne - multi, A, D, Zinc, Chromium.

Yes, what I've done is quite extensive, but that's why I think that my issue originates either because of hormones or because of diet. I'm ready to change things around. I am now at the point where I want to find the real reason for this damn curse/disease, whatever you want to call it. I am determined to see if it originates systemically.

So, back to the real reason for this post. I did have a decently healthy diet - mostly organic except for when I eat out, minimal dairy in the form of cheeses, no milk, no white breads, decent amount of fruits and vegetables, what I thought was a good amount of water, and other typical healthy people things. However, just cutting dairy and eating "relatively" healthy seemed as though it wasn't cutting it.

Two weeks ago, like I said, I began the following:

- No more gluten. Period.
- No dairy at all in any forms.
- Limit greatly processed sugars.
- Minimal soy.
- Increase consumption of organic fruits and vegetables. Vegetables mostly with every meal.
- Juicing every morning. One large glass, combination of kale, cucumber, broccoli, beets, carrots, apples, and leafy baby greens. *ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS JUICE, MAKES YOU FEEL SO GOOD AND ENERGIZED*
- Changed my Multi to Rainbow brand for Teens (Contains herbs and specific vitamins for teens with acne.)
- Large increase in water intake. Drink a one gallon jug from full every day, throughout the day.
- Minimal intake of red meat. Eat 90% chicken and fish.
- Sun exposure for 20 - 30 minutes each day. Avoid burning.
- Try VERY hard not to pick, scrape, pop spots. Only do so if the white head is visible and only requires light squeezing.
- Probiotic with about 5 billion active cultures in order to remedy issues most likely caused by extended antibiotic usage.

With these changes, I have noticed a decrease in large inflamed spots that I'm getting. However, I have in the past 2 or 3 days, broken out in smaller whiteheads and slightly inflamed mini-pimples. Not too many, maybe just 4 or 5 on each side.They're nothing compared to the honkers I would get before, but it's all frustrating acne regardless of the type.

Is there anyone here who can tell me if a purging or "detox" of the skin is possible with a diet change like mine? Especially with the juicing, which I think may be helping to cleanse my body.

SN: I recently was using Dan's AHA+ for some closed comedones on my face. Used it for about 2 and a half weeks, no longer using it now. Could it maybe be a minor breakout from the AHA+ use?

Anyway, thanks so much to anyone who reads this! Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure that I'm covering all the angles. Also, if anyone wants to chime in on whether or not my diet sounds beneficial, please do. I am adding Spirulina, Chlorella, and Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar to my diet change as well in the coming days. Any thoughts on those?

Thanks again,

Alek

Edited by AKanel, 11 July 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#2 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

Do not self supplement without consulting the doctor. High intake of some vitamins have the opposite effect. Stop taking the supplements for a few weeks and see if you still break out.

Broccoli and kale are goitrogenic and affects the thyroid if taken raw. Beet and apples should be eaten whole as they are high in sugar. Instead add celery, pinch of ginger/ dandelion greens. Too much juice is very taxing to the organs. One cup daily is fine. Also increase ur fibre intake through oatmeal/brown/black rice (soaked)

There is a post on green tea/sea salt toner, see if that works for you and do not masturbate.

#3 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not taking excess amounts of supplements, simply normal percentage daily values. Nothing too over the top.

In terms of the goitrogenic argument, there is a lot of debate on whether or not the goitrogens in cruciferous foods affect everyone. People have been juicing Kale and Broccoli in their raw food diets for decades and report no issues of a swelling thyroid. I learned this from an individual at Whole Foods when I was picking up my greens. However, I'll look more into it. Also, millions of people 'juice fast' and have actually rid themselves of diseases and health issues. Check out the movie 'Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead', it's very interesting. And I eat plenty of brown rice, gluten free oatmeal, low sugar gluten free granola, etc. for my fiber intake.

And okay, I'll look into that!

Thanks again =].

#4 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

diet will have a large impact if diet was your main issue in the first place. dont expect it to happen over night however, the more consistent you are the faster you will see results. things should start clearing up 1 and 1/2 months into it, however this could take much longer for other people depends on the person and body.

#5 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

I've heard of people purging after fasting/detox diets before, because the body is expelling toxins and such, but I am not sure if that's true. I think it is more probable that it is a breakout from AHA use.

I think your diet sounds pretty good, just give it some time to really see improvement.

Also, that seems like a lot of water to be drinking. I don't think it's related to your breakouts but I think it is a bit unnecessary, considering we get quite a bit from food. And, well, it's important to conserve water. :P

I am adding Spirulina, Chlorella, and Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar to my diet change as well in the coming days. Any thoughts on those?

I love Braggs ACV! I drink 2 tablespoons diluted in water daily and I believe it has really helped with my skin. If you do decide to drink some regularly, make sure to use a straw to protect your teeth enamel because it is acidic.

#6 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for chiming in, Oceanic!

I'm thinking that the AHA+ is the reason for it as well because glycolic acids are known to cause some purging!

And I'm glad the Braggs comes in handy for you! I hope it works for me as well. It's just gonna be hard to see what in particular will be helping my skin because I'm changing so much =P.

#7 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

What a wonderful post! Good job at describing everything you've been through, sounds a lot like what my brother has done Posted Image. The only difference is that he is older and still on Accutane.

I am buying a juicer later tonight. Your recipe sounds fascinating! Did you come up with it by yourself? How much of it do you drink? What amounts of food do you use? Do you have other recipes you are curious about? Posted Image

Other than not having an exercising regime, you are well on your way to a VERY long recovery and already have a terrific start. I applaud all your hard work, good job!!

Don't forget that diets ALONE do not work for acne, you may also have to be quite physical too. There is a thread I read here a while ago with a diet very similar to yours:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/288705-how-i-cleared-my-acne-after-26-years-try-it/

... with the only difference between your age and his.

There are also a few more links that explain acne in better detail AND why diets alone don't work:

http://www.natural-a...adult-acne.html
http://www.natural-a...-acne-idea.html

PLEASE make sure you are getting all your basic nutritional needs, at least 8 hours of sleep every night, and attempt to stay physically dominant in one or two areas of your choosing (or the ones that you may think help you with your acne: a particular lift, stretch, or sport such as swimming, running, etc...).

If you want to talk detox, I am not TOO sure about that unfortunately. I do know that there are "detox" teas at grocery stores all the time (some in tea isles, some in oriental/indian type food isles), but most brands that "detox" the liver include licorice root in them, something that I always find hard to swallow because I personally hate the taste of licorice. Tea would be a good detox place to start though, and if the flavor is too biter then two what I do and try sweetening it with some honey.

But that's to detox the liver... to detox the SKIN many people argue that Chamomile tea is better, but once again that is simply the tea category and is unfortunately all I know about detoxing. If you want to truly detox your skin, you might as well detox everything you can SAFELY because your skin is a showing result of what's going on inside you. But tea is a fairly common place to start in my opinion. Oh, and don't drink cold, bottled tea thats factory made (even if it's something like Fanta or althetic drinks like gatorade) because those actually make acne worse.

You are well on your way though, so PLEASE keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing about your update in 3 or so months!! Posted Image

Edited by TreatAcne, 10 July 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#8 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, TreatAcne!

It's funny that you mention that thread, because that is exactly the reason why I have decided to change things around! I actually posted on there in the past week or so!

To answer some of your questions/suspicions:

1. My juice recipe is something I put together myself. Sometimes it varies, but mostly it stays the same. I do this recipe because It contains a lot of nutrient dense foods and minimal sugars, those being in the form of the beets and one apple.
2. I make enough juice every morning to fill one Blender Bottle. They're those protein shaker bottles with the metal blending balls in them. These are sold everywhere including Whole Foods, supermarkets, Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc.
3. I've worked out weights and cardio since I was 14. Before, it never really had an effect on my acne, so I neglected to mention that I do workout -- mostly in the form of Crossfit or weightlifting.
4. I usually get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night, considering I am on summer. However, my sleep cycle is odd, i.e, I go to sleep rather late sometimes and sleep in too long for myself.

Also, I'm not particularly detoxing through any means (other than the diet change), but I'm sure some actual DETOX will come, as I have begun taking the Braggs ACV and the Chlorella.

I'll keep people updated as I go. Hopefully this journey of mine will be the answer to my acne!

Edited by AKanel, 10 July 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#9 CelloIsLove

CelloIsLove

Pedo-stache <3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yes, changing to a new diet can most certainly cause a detox stage.

Your diet looks great, but you need more fat. And why so afraid of red meat? Humans have been eating red meat for ages. Just stick with grass fed. Add more unprocessed meats, fish oil, coconut oil, and other forms of fat. You are an omnivore, do not forget that. Also, cut the grains. You're human, not a horse. Get your fiber from actual quality sources, like fruits and vegetables, not grains which are damaging and pretty much nutrient devoid compared to vegetables.

Edited by CelloIsLove, 10 July 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#10 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Good advice, CelloIsLove!

I think I get plenty of fat from coconut and olive oils, and my love for avocados =]. Really the only grains I eat are brown rice, quinoa, and amaranth. All of which I'm pretty sure are nutrient rich... I may be wrong, though. Also, when I do eat beef, it is always organic, free range, and grass fed. The only reason I eat it in moderation is because I feel bogged down when I consume it -- must just be a personal thing.

But I will definitely try and get more fiber from vegetable sources!

Thanks!

#11 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hey that's what I'm trying to do too! Lol I already stopped dairy, limited processed sugars, I just eliminated soy, now I'm trying to eliminate gluten. I already got gluten free chex cereal, I'm going to get gluten free crackers, I found gluten free bread, and I'm going to find some sort of gluten free dessert lol. Sugar/insulin doesn't really affect me that much, if I eat white/fried rice I don't get any acne the next day, even if it's a simple carbohydrate. The things that break me out are the soy and gluten that's in most cereals/breads/snacks. I don't really do anything to my skin except once or twice a day I use a cotton ball and put squeezed lemon juice mixed with non-iodized sea salt on my face, it doesn't prevent breakouts but it dries up pimples really fast. The lemon doesn't do that much actually I think the salt is doing most of the work, because before I was just doing salt water without lemons and it had the same effect on my skin no difference.

I'm not going to use any of those cleansers from the store like cetaphil or neutrogena, because I hear mixed results from them. Some say that it helps, some say that it doesn't do anything, some people say that it breaks them out, and some people say that it worked for a few weeks but then after that they broke out in new places. I don't use soap on my face, I only wash it with water and put on salt/lemon occasionally.

How long have you been using the vitamin? I heard some supplements can actually make people break out, I saw this supplement on amazon called "zinc for acne" and for half the people it helped but for the other half it either did nothing or gave them more acne. I just take a centrum multivitamin everyday, idk if I should change or not.

#12 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Good for you AcneIsACurse!

Hopefully we can both see some results with our new diets.

In terms of the multi, I haven't been on it long enough to tell if it is better than the old organic multi I was on. I'll let you know if I have any adverse results from it, but as of right now, it doesn't seem to be doing anything negative. However, I do know that the Rainbow brand multivitamins and supplements are reliable, organic or natural, and high-quality, so of you're looking to switch, that would be a good brand to look at!

Edited by AKanel, 10 July 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#13 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Good for you AcneIsACurse!

Hopefully we can both see some results with our new diets.

In terms of the multi, I haven't been on it long enough to tell if it is better than the old organic multi I was on. I'll let you know if I have any adverse results from it, but as of right now, it doesn't seem to be doing anything negative. However, I do know that the Rainbow brand multivitamins and supplements are reliable, organic or natural, and high-quality, so of you're looking to switch, that would be a good brand to look at!

Juicing book website have some great recipes and instructions. Any juice above one cup is an overdose.

As for grains u can also look into Teff flour and black rice. Super anti oxidants.

Lifting weights messes up hormones/testosterone and stresses the organs as they are on overdrive. You got acne because of that . Give ur body time to develop for 3-4 years.

#14 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I started lifting weights after I had acne. It definitely was not the cause for me getting it, and it didn't get better or worse once I started when I really think about it. Yeah it can elevate testosterone levels, generally only if you train multi joint excersises, i.e, compound movements with heavy weights. I never did/do that. Isolation work with lighter weights has been shown to not increase testosterone levels, and if it does, it does so in minuscule amounts.

And using the term overdose with vegetable juice seems a little bit misleading, considering any excess of most vitamins and minerals that your body doesn't use will simply be expelled either through urine, feces, or sweat. It would be an entirely different story if I was using supplements for all my nutritional needs, but I'm not.

Thanks for the advice/concern, though! I'll look into more of what you have said and also check out teff flour and black rice!

Edited by AKanel, 11 July 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#15 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, TreatAcne!

It's funny that you mention that thread, because that is exactly the reason why I have decided to change things around! I actually posted on there in the past week or so!

To answer some of your questions/suspicions:

1. My juice recipe is something I put together myself. Sometimes it varies, but mostly it stays the same. I do this recipe because It contains a lot of nutrient dense foods and minimal sugars, those being in the form of the beets and one apple.
2. I make enough juice every morning to fill one Blender Bottle. They're those protein shaker bottles with the metal blending balls in them. These are sold everywhere including Whole Foods, supermarkets, Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc.
3. I've worked out weights and cardio since I was 14. Before, it never really had an effect on my acne, so I neglected to mention that I do workout -- mostly in the form of Crossfit or weightlifting.
4. I usually get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night, considering I am on summer. However, my sleep cycle is odd, i.e, I go to sleep rather late sometimes and sleep in too long for myself.

Also, I'm not particularly detoxing through any means (other than the diet change), but I'm sure some actual DETOX will come, as I have begun taking the Braggs ACV and the Chlorella.

I'll keep people updated as I go. Hopefully this journey of mine will be the answer to my acne!

Lol, I had no idea you posted there! What a coincidence! :D

Thanks for answering my questions! Alright then, good luck with your juicing.

Also, I just added a juicing book to one of my Galleries on this website here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/gallery/image/46665-the-juicing-bible-second-edition-book/

Don't have the recipes to show but maybe the info will be useful to you :).

#16 godawfulface

godawfulface

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

hey make sure you google each of ther herb supplements u r taking and read their warnings. the manufacturers dont add the warnings on the packaging but many herbs effect traditional medicines that u r or have been taking and are still in the system and can have serious effects or even cancel each other out when mixed together. you could be creating a deadly concoction. also if u have family history of blood clotting u want to be careful with that chlorella stuff. to me it just looks like u r adding too many ingredients to the broth. a never ending list of cures in your post there. try one at a time maybe... if ur acne does clear how the hell will u know which 1 did it.
also i tried all of the stuff u listed above (minus the dermatologist medicines) and none of it made a shit of difference, the only thing thats ever worked for me is BP.

#17 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for your concern, godawfulface.

Rest assured I've looked into everything I am or was taking to make sure that all ingredients work well together in a combined setting and have no adverse effects. I'm too much of a research junkie to not do so. Also, no history of blood clotting in any members of my family so I think I'm good on that end.

In terms of knowing exactly what works, I think what I'm going for is, not whether or not individual things are the reason for my acne, but whether or not changing my lifestyle as a whole is going to help. The way I see it, even if I didn't have acne, these changes would be beneficial to me, especially those in regards to my diet and what I consume. I should strive to have a wholesome, nutrient rich diet regardless of my skin situation. The supplements are just that, SUPPLEMENTS. I do not take them for, or in place of, any of my body's needs. I try to get everything in through my diet, which is how it should be.

I'm glad BP works for you, I wish it was that simple for most of us.

Anyways, take care!

And thanks for the link, TreatAcne! I'll definitely check it out!

Edited by AKanel, 11 July 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#18 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Though some people really swear by it, Spirulina and Chlorella are gram negative bacteria. They contain lipopolysaccharide which is a long word I use to make me look smart :P

really though, LPS is also known as endotoxin which is naturally occuring in the digestive tract, but still not a great thing to have in there. It can contribute to digestive and immune distress.

There may be something special about Spirulina and Chlorella that make it innocuous and really beneficial to people, but a few have also reacted negatively to it.

#19 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Though some people really swear by it, Spirulina and Chlorella are gram negative bacteria. They contain lipopolysaccharide which is a long word I use to make me look smart :P

really though, LPS is also known as endotoxin which is naturally occuring in the digestive tract, but still not a great thing to have in there. It can contribute to digestive and immune distress.

There may be something special about Spirulina and Chlorella that make it innocuous and really beneficial to people, but a few have also reacted negatively to it.

I did read about people having negative effects with the two for that reason, however those affected negatively were less common. I'll for sure look out for digestive issues, though and stop using the supplements if I notice any. Hopefully I'll be in the group that benefits from these "superfoods."

Thanks a lot for the comment, Tunnelvisionary.

#20 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

So, beyond advice on my new diet, does anyone know if significant changes like mine can cause purging or detox of the skin? And if you do have any knowledge or experience about this, how long does it last?