Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Supplement Cured My Acne But I Don't Know Why?

9 posts in this topic

Hey there, new member here.

I have tried so many different treatments for acne, and by coincidence I started taking a supplement called Cycle Assist. The purpose is to fight some of the negative side effects of taking anabolic steroids, including acne.

It worked amazingly for me and within a week I was clear until I stopped taking it - but it does a number on my stomach and I want to remove as many of the unnecessary ingredients as possible while still having the positive effects.

N-Acetyl-l-Cysteine

Milk Thistle (Standardized to 80% Silymarin)

Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5)

Hawthorn Berry Extract (Satndardized to 1.8% Vitexin)

Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCL)

Saw Palmetto Extract (Standardized to 45% Fatty Acids)

Celery Seed Extract (10:1)

Grape Seed Extract (95% Proanthocyanidins)

Policosanol

Zinc Gluconate

So I thought maybe the B-complex was what helped, but there are some other chemicals in there that are meant to fight the negative effects of estrogen and testosterone, so maybe those helped too.

Does anybody have any insight?

There are all kinds of nutrients in there that can affect many factors involved in acne. Milk thistle for liver function for example. All kinds of anti-inflammatories. The NAC is a sulfur containing amino acid which helps in many ways including glucose metabolism, liver function and inflammation. The Zinc which helps all of the above including helping with hormones. and of course the liver plays an important role in hormones.

Does it make you nauseous? Zinc often does. Did you try taking it with food? And are you taking anabolic steroids?

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Saw palmetto is an anti-androgen. Anti-androgens often help acne because androgens are often responsible for creating. That would be my first guess.

Milk thistle helps your liver. B-5 can dry out your skin.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

It promise you, it's nearly all of the nutrients in the supplement. They all help in various ways.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Zinc makes me projectile vomit if I don't take it with food. I bet that is what messed with your stomach.

ps. Don't take steroids. They nearly ruined the life of someone I know. Seriously, don't.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

How much zinc does it contain? That's most likely the main player. Saw palmetto and Vitamin B6 synergize with it though.

edit:

I see the serving only contains 15mg zinc gluconate but 50mg of B6 (=10000% daily value!). Saw palmetto 160mg seems standard. The other ingredients have potent effects on their own... Seems like quite excellent supplemental treatment. I have had bad experiences with milk thistle though - broke me up in cysts. Maybe in this formula it wouldn't who knows. I might give it a try if I don't get results with my current plan.