Photo

How Do You Quit Wheat And Dairy?

wheat dairy nutrition skin picking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 steaklover

steaklover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi! I'm a new member to this site and have been searching through the forum for a more than a few months. I've looked through the nutrition posts and have the idea that you are not supposed to eat wheat because once inside your body it becomes sugar and ultimately leads to acne. And dairy supposedly has hormones in it which conflict with your body's natural hormones and leads again to more acne.

For the past month I decided to remove all the harsh cleansers used on my face and just washed it with water-only water. At first my acne got better worse. And when it got worse it became even worse still. (I have a skin picking problem.)

At the time same time I was trying to not eat wheat or dairy. But this became increasingly difficult.

Now I have ice cream and wraps and very small chunks of bread and chocolate milk...

The problem is that I don't know how to stop eating it. But I also don't know many quick recipes with out wheat..

Can someone help me, please?

#2 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

It isn't really the sugar in the wheat that is causing acne. It's the gluten and the refining process. Overall humans aren't naturally designed to eat grains.

Gluten is very damaging, and because of it you may just be getting acne, plus the refining makes it very easy for insulin response.

Just go look up Paleo Diet. You can still maintain a weight by cutting grains, you can consume fruits and healthy oils! However, if you just cut grains and don't change your diet you'll def lose weight.

#3 steaklover

steaklover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

thank you so much! and I'll definitely look up the Paleo diet. I think I saw it on another post somewhere on this site.

Should I cut out milk as well?

#4 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Some people are allergic to the yeast in bread but not wheat. You can have brown rice, oat meal, yogurt etc. and see if it works.

#5 iskaestar

iskaestar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

It gets easier! Instead of couscous, I'll have quinoa. Sometimes if I miss bread I'll have rice bread. There are great dairy alternatives like Daiya "cheese". Try almond, rice, or coconut milk.

#6 marissa8161

marissa8161

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Just a footnote, some people aren't allergic/sensitive to those things.

I, for one, am extremely sensitive to dairy. So I had to cut that out.

I have reaction to wheat, so I eat that, no problem.

#7 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

thank you so much! and I'll definitely look up the Paleo diet. I think I saw it on another post somewhere on this site.

Hey there. This online article really helped break down the Paleo diet for me; http://www.nerdfitne...the-paleo-diet/

#8 LZOMG

LZOMG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

cutting wheat was the easiest, I just simply switched to 100% whole grain. Whole grain still has all the fiber in it so your body digest it much slower, therefore it has a low Glycemic Index.
Look through this list of foods and pick out whatever you want.
http://www.wholegrai...amped-products/

Also Whole grains are healthy and can help you lose weight, especially if you are a athlete because they are digested slower giving you more energy over longer periods of time.
The main benefits of whole grains

The benefits of whole grains most documented by repeated studies include:
  • stroke risk reduced 30-36%
  • type 2 diabetes risk reduced 21-30%
  • heart disease risk reduced 25-28%
  • better weight maintenance
Other benefits indicated by recent studies include:
  • reduced risk of asthma
  • healthier carotid arteries
  • reduction of inflammatory disease risk
  • lower risk of colorectal cancer
  • healthier blood pressure levels
  • less gum disease and tooth loss
  • Also according to a Australian researcher, incorporating more whole grains while cutting out refined grains can help acne.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18178063

I think milk is so nasty now and unnatural. Just think about it, how many animals drink milk past adolescence? Only humans. How many animals drink milk from other animals "In Nature"? Only Humans (cats and dogs dont count because they are "force fed").
Dairy was hard at first for me to get rid of,especially with oreos with milk and pizza tasting so good. But over time eventaully made the switch to Almond Milk and Coconut milk (Both taste amazing by the day and healthier than reg milk). Whenever i order from pizza hut I put down "no cheese", even though its missing cheese it still taste pretty good.

Something that is very important to add in, instead of just treating your acne through diet, I STRONGLY recommend you also go to a dermatologist and get treated through the inside and through the outside with topical creams. Just in case you havnt figured out the ideal diet for you, you still have medical topicals to help you stay in the clear.

Also how severe would you consider your acne?

Edited by LZOMG, 09 July 2012 - 02:07 AM.

Vote For Obama 2012 to make Health Care available to all even those with pre-existing conditions like acne. Help future teens who have no access to health care battle there acne by electing the man who will support the Affordable Health Care Act better known as Obamacare.
And dont let Romney Win, he will do everything to repeal ObamaCare. More info on link below
http://www.acne.org/...vote-for-obama/

#9 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Instead of looking for better alternatives to wheat, by looking at other grains, why not just quit the entire GRAIN from your diet?

Try that for few weeks, you can still get your carbs from fruits. 1 apple may serve the same calories as one bun or bread, but with the fibers and other nutrients.
If you really want grains, rice would be the safest or oatmeal, but see what works for you. I myself recommend to just quit grain and dairy once and for all.

For dairy it's pretty easy finding an alternative. Coconut milk is great.

#10 steaklover

steaklover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hey there. This online article really helped break down the Paleo diet for me; http://www.nerdfitne...the-paleo-diet/

Thank you so much this website is very informative and easy to understand. It makes complete sense. I'll start this diet right away!

I'll just quit dairy and grains once and for all. Like Daftfrost said!

How long would it take to see some results?

Oh and I forgot to mention I also take Omega-3 vitamins daily. I use vitamin E oil on my face for scabs and such.
thanks for all the replies!

#11 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Overall humans aren't naturally designed to eat grains.

I have to point something out here. Using the word "designed" implies you believe in a designer. I know of no design-focused spiritual belief that states grains are somehow bad for you. If you do not believe in a designer, then you must believe in pure evolution, which reasons that different people will all have a -different- reaction to similar substances and will thusly, adapt over time to successfully process grains, gluten, etc. Either way, using phrases such as "Human were not designed to consume grains" Is demonstrably false.

#12 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thank you so much this website is very informative and easy to understand. It makes complete sense. I'll start this diet right away!

I'll just quit dairy and grains once and for all. Like Daftfrost said!

How long would it take to see some results?

Oh and I forgot to mention I also take Omega-3 vitamins daily. I use vitamin E oil on my face for scabs and such.
thanks for all the replies!

That's why I liked that article, too. It was really easy for me to comprehend. Sometimes articles that discuss nutrition and biology go a bit over my head, and this one certainly doesn't.

I cut dairy (mostly, I still will have a tiny bit of cheese every once in awhile) out due to the advice of my cosmetic dermatologist. Some people are able to tolerate it without it disturbing their acne, I just don't really consume dairy at all anymore because I do not want to chance anything.

I find almond milk to be an amazing alternative to cow's milk. It doesn't cost much more than milk, and it tastes wonderful.

I haven't used this site much yet, but the recipes on it are great, and all of them adhere to the Paleo diet. I recommend that you take a look! Posted Image http://www.paleotabl...recipes_09.html

Edited by CherrySoda08, 09 July 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

By finding other things to eat. The food and recipe thread is full of substitutes. And it would be best if you'd learn to eat something besides cereal and sandwiches.

And do not fill up on other grains either, no matter how 'whole' they are. Those supposed benefits are more about the reduction of refined grains than the addition of whole grains. And you'd get even more benefit by filling up on other foods like vegetables. Besides, many people are so sensitive and/or have such a damaged digestive tract, they need to avoid all grains and possibly all seeds. At least temporarily while they heal.

I'm not saying that no one should eat them. I eat them. They just aren't a big part of my diet and I prepare them properly the way they were traditionally prepared for thousands of years. Something that's rarely done by our food industry. And just don't believe the hype of whole grains. No one needs to eat more whole grain. they need to eat less refined grain. and there's nothing in them that you can't easily get elsewhere, and that you aren't more likely to get more of when you don't fill up on grains.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#14 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have to point something out here. Using the word "designed" implies you believe in a designer. I know of no design-focused spiritual belief that states grains are somehow bad for you. If you do not believe in a designer, then you must believe in pure evolution, which reasons that different people will all have a -different- reaction to similar substances and will thusly, adapt over time to successfully process grains, gluten, etc. Either way, using phrases such as "Human were not designed to consume grains" Is demonstrably false.

Have to agree, "designed" wasn't the best suiting word for that statement, but think of more like what we were suppose to eat by nature, what our body was suppose to accept without any damage to the physical body. In other words, the right food for us.

Whatever you believe, I'd likely doubt that if we were left alone by in nature, we would find a wheat grass and start eating it. In any means, I wouldn't think that would fulfill our hunger or our desire to eat, compared to eating a banana or berries. Doesn't it seem kind of odd that whenever we bring whole new food into our diet, there is always a problem? Why don't we just leave nature alone for christs sake and forget all the additives and the processing, but ofcourse humans care about money and business more than that.

#15 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Have to agree, "designed" wasn't the best suiting word for that statement, but think of more like what we were suppose to eat by nature, what our body was suppose to accept without any damage to the physical body. In other words, the right food for us.

How about 'equipped' or 'adapted for'?
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#16 steaklover

steaklover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hey! so its been almost two days since I started this new paleo life style. Amazingly I've found it very easy to adjust. Though I've been eating mostly snackish foods such as berries, eggs, slices of meat and cut up veggies. I haven't actually made a real sit-down sort of meal yet.

Thanks you everyone!

Also, on a side note; yesterday I had iced tea from a store called Davids tea-which I love. Anyways I tried a new tea called Bamboozle. It contains bamboo, pineapple, peaches and some strawberries. I drank it and it tasted great! Then today I have a rash all over my body- my face, legs arms, ears, you name it! They are blistery/pimple looking bumps, randomly spaced. I don't know if its the tea or what?

If anyone can help me with this its much appreciated.

I'm seeing a doctor soon.

Edited by steaklover, 10 July 2012 - 04:16 PM.