Photo

How I Cured My Severely Oily Skin And Comedonal Acne!

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dogma

Dogma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm a 20-year-old female, and I've been struggling with severe blackheads and whiteheads, mild to moderate inflamed acne, and very oily skin since I was around 12 or 13. I now have clear skin--this is what I've learned.

First of all, I've learned that I have large pores because of genetics, and there's nothing I can do about it. There is no way to chemically shrink your pores. However, you can reduce the appearance of your pores by keeping them really clean, as I'm sure everyone who uses these boards knows.
To keep pores clear and prevent blackheads, whiteheads, and inflamed papules, you must do the following:
-Reduce sebum production
-Gently exfoliate away sebum plugs
-Keep skin clean without causing irritation

There is more than one way to reduce sebum production, but b5 (pantothenic acid) has worked for me, and has resulted in a more significant improvement than any other aspect of my regimen. (I've heard that many famous people take a low-dose of Accutane, but this is not something I would ever be willing to try because I don't need it.) If you have not read the articles on treating acne with b5, I highly recommend doing so. I take 2,000 mg (2 g) a day, which consists of two 1,000 mg slow-release tablets, one with breakfast and one with dinner. I also take a multivitamin pack with a b vitamin complex, and birth control pills for my hormonal acne. Since I've been taking b5, I no longer wake up with a greasy nose and forehead, and my skin has a healthy, balanced glow.

We all know that exfoliation is a mainstay for comedonal acne treatment, but until very recently, I was not doing it properly. I prefer chemical exfoliation to manual, as it seems to be less likely to cause abrasions and cleans deeper. I use a .25 percent tretinoin gel that I purchased online for around $20, and not only has it iradicated the whiteheads under my eyes and on the sides of my nose, it has improved my scarring and overall skintone. An AHA or BHA used daily in the shower after cleansing would also suffice, used alone or combined with a scrub formulated for sensitive skin, (as long as it does not contain pore-clogging ingredients.) Remember that if your skin appears parched, red, and flaky, you are overexfoliating, which will aggravate acne.

The biggest mistake I made in trying to treat my stubborn, persistent acne was simply using the wrong products. I've come to the realization that most products formulated for acne are overhyped and overpriced, and can cause more harm than good. You do not need to use dozens of different plant extracts and acids, and you do not need to pay for $50 for a cosmetics counter cleanser. As anyone who has ever visited a dermatologist probably knows, Cetaphil or Purpose cleanser used twice a day, (I use Purpose and love it), is enough. If you're someone like me with visable pores, please do your research, learn which products can clog pores and irritate skin, and read ingredients lists, you will be saving yourself a lot of time, money, and effort.
For example, St. Ives Sensitive Skin scrub contains fragrance and sharp granules which turned my normally porcelain-white, baby-soft skin beet-red while also making my pores look worse.

Many products that claim to be non-comedogenic and non-irritating are going to cause breakouts and irritation for some people, that's just the way it is. If you have very large pores like I do, any product, such as moisturizer, containing an emollient ingredient will most likely settle into your pores and make them appear more pronounced, regardless of whether or not in claims to be non-comedogenic. For this reason, I use a liquid spf-55 sunscreen formulated specifically for acne-prone skin on my open-pored areas, (it can be a bit drying so I apply it to my wet face as it seems to seal in moisture), and a generic moisturizer on my cheeks, around my mouth, and along my hairline.

In short, after years of abrasive scrubs, home-peels, masks, (sometimes used daily), expensive creams, diet changes, harsh plant extracts, and an addiction to skin-picking, I am now finally clear.
Less is more!

#2 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Congrats on your success! I thought b5 cured my acne.. I was completely cure for many months, but it eventually stopped working no matter how much I took. I hope you continue to have good results from b5, thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

#3 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

im currently on the ''zinc'' method to clear my acne. i think its working as my skin is becoming more clearer and its making me purge which is good. im also taking i high intake of vitamin A through eating alot of carrots. if this fails im gonna try this b5 method/

#4 skintone

skintone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I thought b5 cured my acne.. I was completely cure for many months, but it eventually stopped working no matter how much I took.

Do you mean that you think the body (or the acne) became resistant to the vitamin?

I've never heard of vitamins just stopping working before Posted Image

#5 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Low vitamin B5 and Iron is a cause of acne but high amounts have the opposite effect. Any supplementation for long term has side effects. I think once one gets clear vitamins should be taken from immune boosting foods.

#6 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I thought b5 cured my acne.. I was completely cure for many months, but it eventually stopped working no matter how much I took.

Do you mean that you think the body (or the acne) became resistant to the vitamin?

I thought that was what made b5 stand out from the others, from what I understood you couldn't grow resistant. All I know is I was taking quite a bit each day and my skin cleared and stayed clear for months and months then all of a sudden my acne came back with a vengeance and no amount of b5 would make it subside. Acne is just a baffling mystery.. it sucks.

#7 skintone

skintone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

I thought that was what made b5 stand out from the others, from what I understood you couldn't grow resistant. All I know is I was taking quite a bit each day and my skin cleared and stayed clear for months and months then all of a sudden my acne came back with a vengeance and no amount of b5 would make it subside. Acne is just a baffling mystery.. it sucks.

You got that right. Thanks for the information though.

#8 Dogma

Dogma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hmm... I have been taking b5 for maybe around 8 months and I'm still pretty clear, but I've recently gone off birth control and stopped using retinol so I've been getting some breakouts. College stress definitely exacerbates the issue as well... I'll definitely go back to using my .25% retinol.
My boyfriend has had pretty bad acne for years, (much worse than mine), and he uses Differin along with b5 and now he's almost totally clear except for some scarring. I've definitely helped his complexion improve. Posted Image
I just hope he isn't offended when I make efforts to help him clear up his skin... haha