Photo

Can a person live just on water for ten days?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:55 AM

Do you think it would harm your body in anyway, fasting for ten days, having water as your only thing to intake?

#2 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:33 AM

I can answer this question from personal experience. In 2000, I had a medical problem with my gut where I had to have nothing but ice chips for 12 days. I dropped 15 pounds, but I was so weak, but I was medically supervised. I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 20 you may not even be done growing. If you want to detox, there ways to clean up your lifestyle and enhance your health while still eating. There are folks on these boards who know more about holistic diets than I do, but I would caution anyone against starving yourself by fasting.Read some of the posts from SweetJade.There is a lot of good info. on those posts.

#3 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Ben16 @ Sep 29 2004, 08:55 AM)
Do you think it would harm your body in anyway, fasting for ten days, having water as your only thing to intake?

View Post

If you need to starve yourself to rid yourself of acne,your better off dead!

#4 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

Word. Fasting, if it somehow does stop acne for those days, will only cause a massive outbreak when your body finds it needs a crash course in digestion again.

#5 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:34 AM

I agree - don't do this. It is far too extreme. It would most likely not solve anything acne-related and would be likely to cause other, more dangerous complications.

Don't do it.

#6 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:22 AM

Ditto. I agree with everyone else on this issue. Considering your age and the fact that you are still in school and probably very active, fasting with only water makes no sense....you'll pass out before those 10 days are up. Also if your skin did clear (by depriving your body of everything), you still woudln't know which foods you eliminated helped to do so. Anyway, have you found out your test results yet? =P

#7 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

10 days on nothing but water, you're going to seriously deplete your body of electrolytes. Plus, you will not have the energy to do any kind of work except hunt for food. Your survival instincts will kick in and your mind will become obsessed with food, and you won't be able to think about anything else for more than a minute. If you manage to fall asleep, you will dream about nothing but food. You're better off going on a strictly heathful diet than putting yourself through starvation hell.

#8 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

Fasting with water is a bad idea....you should do either a juice fast or the master cleanse instead, they're far more effective and a lot safer.

#9 OzPower

OzPower

Arrogant Australian who talks to much :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:19 PM

Yeah i agree with fimn flam smile.gif juice fast is a healthy aproach.

#10 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

Any prolonged fasting is retarded. 10 days of juice fasting or whatever is no better(unless you drink a lot of juice to keep up your calories and a wide variety for nutrients, plus a week or so with little protein will start to break down your muscle).

#11 OzPower

OzPower

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:58 AM

Calories, lol, protein, lol.

As long as your body consumes complex carbohydrates (starches) your fine. Starches are glucose molecules bonded togeather but can't be readily absorbed without enzymes so you absorb energy at a healthy rate. Eating refined sugars (bad source of glucose) leads to high insulin which in turns leads to irritability and nervousness when insulin drops back down which can last for hours. Once absorbed insulin in the body breaks down glucose into glycogen which gets stored in the liver and muscles. Insulin helps prevent muscles from breaking down protein, glycogen gets used in times of need to fuel the body including muscles.

The body needs 22 amino acids, 8 of which need to come from food sources and yup, veggie diet being the best source. Ask any self respecting muscle trainer on amino acids and weight gain.

Fat gives 9 calories per gram, protein and carbs give 4 respectively.

Veggies are a great source of complex carbs and you get your protein from legumes (peas, beans, lentils). All veggies contain protein but they being the best source.

Unless your an athlete the juice fast is fine.

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Theoretically yes. You could also theoretically say that you get 500mg's from a 500mg cap of vit. C, but in reality you don't abosrb nearly that amount. However, if your so confident that this will work, then go ahead and try it out. There are too many variables in everyday life that would skew this plan of yours.

I'd also like to see someone diet with nothing but complex carbs and what that would do to the body.

#13 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Oct 14 2004, 08:32 AM)

I'd also like to see someone diet with nothing but complex carbs and what that would do to the body.

I fasted once for about 20 days on the master cleanse, which is nothing but warm water mixed with lemon juice, maple syrup and a dash of cayenne pepper. I never felt hungry, didn't lose muscle mass and had no ill-effects - my energy levels went through the roof, I felt better, slept better and it pretty much cured my acne.

#14 OzPower

OzPower

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Oct 15 2004, 01:32 AM)
Theoretically yes. You could also theoretically say that you get 500mg's from a 500mg cap of vit. C, but in reality you don't abosrb nearly that amount. However, if your so confident that this will work, then go ahead and try it out. There are too many variables in everyday life that would skew this plan of yours.

View Post

We are only talking 10 days here, not forever, if the guy will juice fast then he shouldn't overdo things to conserve energy, common sense no?

#15 OzPower

OzPower

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(flim flam @ Oct 15 2004, 06:33 AM)
I fasted once for about 20 days on the master cleanse, which is nothing but warm water mixed with lemon juice, maple syrup and a dash of cayenne pepper. I never felt hungry, didn't lose muscle mass and had no ill-effects - my energy levels went through the roof, I felt better, slept better and it pretty much cured my acne.

View Post

Good for you man!

#16 mikey143

mikey143

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

FASTING will clear you up...my friend had moderate acne and juice fasted for 6 months and was completely clear after 34 days...plus fasting promotes health and you will feel great afterwards...go ahead do it! it will not kill you dont listen to these idiots...

#17 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

Hey, Mikey
Living on water for ten days is not juice fasting. Most juice is very high calorie. Second, I did live on water for twelve days, and it did not cure my acne. That rush of energy is a ketogenic response.Anorexics get it too when their body starts to use its fat and protein stores as fuel.The human body has evolved to withstand famine, but anyone who goes on some fad eating or fasting ritual without seeing a doctor is taking an unnecessary risk to their health.

#18 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

Hey, Mikey
I read some interesting info. about diet and acne on acnebook.com, but it basically says their is no correlation between diet and acne with the exception of iodine.It is based on science with double blind studies.It is worth a read.

#19 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Ben16 @ Sep 29 2004, 08:55 AM)

View Post

You seriously need to get help if you're considering this.