Photo

New, And Slightly Worried, Young Roaccutane Patient

accutane teen girl mild acne hormonal probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to this message board so I shall tell you a little about myself. I'm a 14 year old girl that has had mild, inflamed and persistent acne. My skin easily scars, despite whether I pick at it or not, and is very oily. I believe my acne is due to hormonal issues, I'm dairy free most of the time and that has seemed to control it a little over the years. I have had acne since I was 11, started off on my chin, fled to my forehead and now I get it on my cheeks.

I recently started going to the dermatologist, I only started going to them around 6 months ago as my mum was very anti-drugs but she finally decided to support me recently, before that I tried to control my skin using natural methods etc. I have been on doxycycline and epiduo and minocycline and epiduo. The minocycline worked best for me but it only cleared up my blackheads and I still had lots of active pimples. Epiduo was never good for me, if I overdid it just a little it would leave me red and raw faced and I would have white circles around my eyes due to how red my skin was.

Until recently, I was prescribed roaccutane. I am on a 20mg, 3 times a week dose for 2 months and maybe he'll make it more often. I have high hopes for this drug. Many people I know have used it and achieved great results. I'm not worried about the blood test at all. I'm also planning on taking a probiotic regularly. I'm worried because I think going on Roaccutane will make my acne worse because it wasn't that bad to start with (loads worse than normal people), I'm just thinking it will have a reverse effect.

So just thought you would like to know my story, it's not all of it but I didn't want to bore you to death! If you have any advice or tips about Roaccutane please let me know! I start on Monday and will keep you updated.

#2 asdfaasfasdfak

asdfaasfasdfak

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

lol I'm also 14 but male! :) My skin and acne is just like you described yours, had it since 11 and been on same medicine/drugs! I'm going to a dermatologist in two months and I hope I'll be prescribed Roaccutane too! Where you live, do they prefer you to be 16 to get Roaccutane or is there an serious age restriction? Because it would be great if they can prescribe it to people under 16 in my country if they believe nothing else is working against your acne...

#3 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

lol I'm also 14 but male! Posted Image My skin and acne is just like you described yours, had it since 11 and been on same medicine/drugs! I'm going to a dermatologist in two months and I hope I'll be prescribed Roaccutane too! Where you live, do they prefer you to be 16 to get Roaccutane or is there an serious age restriction? Because it would be great if they can prescribe it to people under 16 in my country if they believe nothing else is working against your acne...

Hey! I don't think they should be worried about your age, my derm was more worried about my height because you have to be aware that Roaccutane may stop the growth plates. I live in Australia :)

#4 asdfaasfasdfak

asdfaasfasdfak

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

lol I'm also 14 but male! Posted Image My skin and acne is just like you described yours, had it since 11 and been on same medicine/drugs! I'm going to a dermatologist in two months and I hope I'll be prescribed Roaccutane too! Where you live, do they prefer you to be 16 to get Roaccutane or is there an serious age restriction? Because it would be great if they can prescribe it to people under 16 in my country if they believe nothing else is working against your acne...

Hey! I don't think they should be worried about your age, my derm was more worried about my height because you have to be aware that Roaccutane may stop the growth plates. I live in Australia Posted Image

Hah, yeah I hope so :) I live in Sweden and my general doctor (I have no idea what kind of doctor he is lol) told me something about dermatologists prefering people to be 16+ to get Roaccutane..(or maybe that's for the height?) But i suppose they could give me it anyways, and if it's like in Australia, that will be no problem. :) Well, anyways, will you post your progress with it here? I'd love hearing it since your skin is so suprisingly equal to mine :)

Oh, and one more thing! You said you began going to the derm 6 months ago, were you not given Roaccutane because you had to try doxycycline, epiduo and minocycline at first for those 6 months, or was it because your mum didn't allow you to take Roaccutane? I've already been on epiduo + some antibiotic for a few months (and a few others) which my normal doctor prescribed me, so I'm kinda worried I'll have to try multiple other worthless drugs/medicines before Roaccutane.. :S

#5 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hah, yeah I hope so Posted Image I live in Sweden and my general doctor (I have no idea what kind of doctor he is lol) told me something about dermatologists prefering people to be 16+ to get Roaccutane..(or maybe that's for the height?) But i suppose they could give me it anyways, and if it's like in Australia, that will be no problem. Posted Image Well, anyways, will you post your progress with it here? I'd love hearing it since your skin is so suprisingly equal to mine Posted Image

Oh, and one more thing! You said you began going to the derm 6 months ago, were you not given Roaccutane because you had to try doxycycline, epiduo and minocycline at first for those 6 months, or was it because your mum didn't allow you to take Roaccutane? I've already been on epiduo + some antibiotic for a few months (and a few others) which my normal doctor prescribed me, so I'm kinda worried I'll have to try multiple other worthless drugs/medicines before Roaccutane.. :S

Absolutely! I'll definitely start posting my log on here.

My experience was that my GP Doctor prescribed me Doxy and Epiduo and when I figured out it wasn't doing me any good I went to the Dermatologist. They told me I wasn't using the Epiduo correctly because I told them it was flaring up my skin (I had been told to apply it every night all over my face) so they started me on leaving it on for 15 minutes and washing it off every other day to every day and then finally leaving it on overnight 3 times a week. Instead of Doxy they prescribed me Minocycline, which turned out to be much better than Doxy. I was on 100mg a day (50mg twice a day.)

Fast forward to one month using that system. My skin was average, not great, I still had active pimples but I noticed it completely cleared up my blackheads on my nose. Around my menstrual cycle my skin was crazy! I hadn't eaten anything that I knew would break out my skin. I then visited my Dermatologist and then it was up to me and my mother to decide whether we wanted to continue the Minocycline for another 2 months on a higher dose or start Roaccutane on an extremely low dose. We agreed on Roaccutane because I've heard great success stories from loads of people my age and I've heard antibiotics has cleared people up well but once they went off it it went back to the way it was before.

6 months ago my Mum was very anti-accutane, but when she saw how upset I was with myself and my skin she gave in. She also heard from one of her friends that they had taken accutane when they were young and both her daughters had been on it, she said "it's controversial but it works." I was also put down a year level because I moved schools and countries so I was one of the oldest in the year and everyone else is still young with perfect skin (haven't hit puberty yet.)

If you want to go on Accutane definitely tell him/her what you think and why you want to go on it. If they won't allow you to go on it ask why because there's bound to be a good reason. Other then that if your skin has been troubling you for the past 3/4 years and it is prone to scarring I can't see why they wouldn't let you go on it, after all you are paying them to clear your skin up!

Good luck!

#6 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Oh also I thought I should mention that my skin is very stubborn, putting on spot cream, salicylic acid or even a natural home-made face mask will not have an effect.

#7 mrjarjarbinks77

mrjarjarbinks77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

Age 14? Scars? That is such bullshit to be going through this crap. I am sorry for you. My advice is to trust your doctor but make an informed decision. There are conflicts with accutane. I am experiencing: fever, severe migraine, vomitting, dry heaves, flu like symptoms, possibly hyper tension, chills. For certainty, I know dry lips and eyes were related. This past month I had experienced a eye infection. The clinic doctor said it was "ulcerated." There is no proof accutane was related. I took an antibiotic, a eye moisturiser drops, and I am good as new. I took 10days off accutane and I am back on it at 80mg. I should have taken smaller doses before going cold turkey and jumping back into it hard.

Sweet heart, if you are scarring, this would be all the reason in the world to give it a try. It is a serious drug, you have to sign papers, and make certain, no pregnancy or crap. Your 14 so god only hopes your not down that road. Think long in hard. I am in my early 20s and when I noticed a scar I was depressed. I wouldn't commit suicide but I wished for death and for it to be all over. I ended up getting another. It sucks. I recently met a girl who said scars are a turn on that, she is aroused by scars? It makes no sense but she says it seems manly.

Think long and hard. While I awaited for the prescription to take effect, I happen to have a break out. Acne has not been kind to me. The worse part too is I can see my abs, low percent body fat, workout religiously, eat clean crisp diet, and I battle acne. Not just acne but cystic or nodular acne. I see people stuffing themselves with pizza, coke, and soda drinks, sugar ridden foods, donuts, empty calories, and flawless skin. I don't get it but I sum it up to genetics and shitty luck.

Good luyck with your decision.

btw despite the symptoms, my skin is flawless. I repeat, my skin is flawless. I had one zit in the past 3months almost and it was likely due to the 10days I took off from accutane and it was hardly noticeable. I just noticed cause I had to shave and it was barely visible. Accutane is a miracle drug just some people cannot react well with it.

#8 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

Age 14? Scars? That is such bullshit to be going through this crap. I am sorry for you. My advice is to trust your doctor but make an informed decision. There are conflicts with accutane. I am experiencing: fever, severe migraine, vomitting, dry heaves, flu like symptoms, possibly hyper tension, chills. For certainty, I know dry lips and eyes were related. This past month I had experienced a eye infection. The clinic doctor said it was "ulcerated." There is no proof accutane was related. I took an antibiotic, a eye moisturiser drops, and I am good as new. I took 10days off accutane and I am back on it at 80mg. I should have taken smaller doses before going cold turkey and jumping back into it hard.

Sweet heart, if you are scarring, this would be all the reason in the world to give it a try. It is a serious drug, you have to sign papers, and make certain, no pregnancy or crap. Your 14 so god only hopes your not down that road. Think long in hard. I am in my early 20s and when I noticed a scar I was depressed. I wouldn't commit suicide but I wished for death and for it to be all over. I ended up getting another. It sucks. I recently met a girl who said scars are a turn on that, she is aroused by scars? It makes no sense but she says it seems manly.

Think long and hard. While I awaited for the prescription to take effect, I happen to have a break out. Acne has not been kind to me. The worse part too is I can see my abs, low percent body fat, workout religiously, eat clean crisp diet, and I battle acne. Not just acne but cystic or nodular acne. I see people stuffing themselves with pizza, coke, and soda drinks, sugar ridden foods, donuts, empty calories, and flawless skin. I don't get it but I sum it up to genetics and shitty luck.

btw despite the symptoms, my skin is flawless. I repeat, my skin is flawless. I had one zit in the past 3months almost and it was likely due to the 10days I took off from accutane and it was hardly noticeable. I just noticed cause I had to shave and it was barely visible. Accutane is a miracle drug just some people cannot react well with it.

Thanks so much for your concern and sharing you story! I have tried so many products and potions and lotions and nothing seems to be working for me. I've many tried natural methods as my mum is a nutritionist but since my body has so many hormones at this age I don't think it makes much of a difference. I'm starting on Accutane on a 20mg dose 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for two months so my body can handle it and maybe my Derm will push the dose higher. I know so many people my age with my kind of situation who have taken this drug and come out with amazing results. I'm just going forward with a positive set mind :)

#9 mrjarjarbinks77

mrjarjarbinks77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Thanks so much for your concern and sharing you story! I have tried so many products and potions and lotions and nothing seems to be working for me. I've many tried natural methods as my mum is a nutritionist but since my body has so many hormones at this age I don't think it makes much of a difference. I'm starting on Accutane on a 20mg dose 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for two months so my body can handle it and maybe my Derm will push the dose higher. I know so many people my age with my kind of situation who have taken this drug and come out with amazing results. I'm just going forward with a positive set mind Posted Image

Everyone is different so, things like genetics and diet play a huge part of it. Also, our environment, the toxins in the air, the pollution, and the preservatives in food. Really watch what you eat. While it is not the only answer, neither is medication, and I tried the natural route before caving for a more direct approach. My plan is to weed off it and hopefully find some corrective course to take. I am noticing some more severe side effects or I am just getting ill more frequently. I think the symtoms are accutane related but I do not want to admit it since, I have not been this clear since before puberty. Good luck.

#10 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Okay so it's Wednesday, I took my first dose on Monday night (20mg.) Noticeable changes? My skin is a little bit drier, especially my cheeks. My cheeks are a little bit red and my IB has started. I have 3 or 4 new pimples but the ones I had previously (before Roaccutane) have cleared up so fast! One thing I noticed was that the inflammation spots have faded quite a bit (on my cheeks.) My second dose is tonight. I wear a Cetaphil Sunscreen SPF 30+ daily, sometimes I wear a bit of mineral powder makeup to cover up the redness. I've been testing a few sunscreens out with SPF 30+ and the Cetaphil was the best by far. I tried out a tinted Hamiltons matte finish one and that made my dry skin flakes stand out even more, I tried an Aticinal one (spelling!) and that made my skin look too oily. The Cetaphil one is perfect, although it is a bit heavier than some facial sunscreens it doesn't take long to rub in, doesn't leave a greasy looking shine and doesn't make my skin look white. If you are looking for a new sunscreen definitely try this one out!

#11 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

It's Sunday, almost one week since I've been on Roacctuane! I missed my dose on Friday so I had it on Saturday making sure there was one day inbetween my next one. My IB has not ended, unfortunately, but I'm not worried. It's only week one, right? Hopefully my IB will be gone by week 3. Any more changes? I don't have dry skin or oily skin, so it's normal. Does it normally take this long for your skin to dry out? My lips are dry, but that can be fixed with a bit of Vaseline. I had a slight cracking at the side of my lip because I missed taking my booster supplements, thank you Vitamin B! I re tested for the supplements I would be taking and I dropped the Omega-3 and the Calcium because my body didn't need them. I made sure none of my supplements contain any Vitamin A, none of them did. I'll update you soon :)

#12 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Its always scarey when u first try something new for ur skin, I have been scared many times, when I have tired a new pill, wash or topical for acne.

#13 mrjarjarbinks77

mrjarjarbinks77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Get a nivea lip chap.

#14 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

It's Friday, I think that's two weeks since I started. Definitely noticing dry, red eyes, a flakier scalp and drier lips, I still don't have dry skin! Is that unusual? Skin is improving! My scars/inflammation are less noticable, skin is less oiler but not dry. I had an athletics carnival today, I applied sunscreen but didn't apply it often :( I got a little sunburnt on my cheeks but aloe vera gel completely cleared up that problem! In like 2 hours too, is Roaccutane speeding up the healing process? Also, I'm on a 20mg dose 3x a week, I'm starting to think that this is too little, should I ask to get a higher dose? I have had a few more pimples but the old ones cleared up easily. The inflammation is only where my spots are so the only red spots and my pimples. I read my information booklet and it says it is supposed to reduce inflammation.

#15 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

I think I have stopped breaking out! It's Wednesday, let's see what happens, just took my dose.

#16 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Definitely drier skin, I played touch football in the sun for 2-3 hours yesterday (with sunscreen) and my face was not even oily! Just a bit shiny. No more breakouts, I hope. Avoiding sunscreens that make my dry skin flakes show up more.

#17 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

One month of Roaccutane done! Drier lips, achy muscles, less inflammation, but still breaking out :( oh well, good will come soon.

#18 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

26 of August coming up to the second month on Roaccutane! Wow, is all I can say really. I am still breaking out, mildly but my face is completely eliminated the oil and my face is like whiter, it has reduced the inflammation so much! So excited to see what is to come.

#19 kirra98

kirra98

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Almost up to month 3! It seems like yesterday when I was taking my first Roaccutane pill! Significant changes, I don't think I could be happier, and it's only month three. Side effects: occasional sore joints, dry lips, dry eyes, dry(ish) skin (not really haha.) Changes: decrease in inflammation, acne scar spots have faded and I only have one active pimple.

Oh! And I forgot to mention that I am up to 20mg 7x a week, went from 3x, to 4x, 5x, 6x and then 7x - just had to build it up gradually!