Photo

Natural Spot Treatments

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tony1990

Tony1990

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Any suggestion for a natural spot treatment? Say if you could feel a pimple coming up but has not yet came to a head what do you put on it?

#2 GorgeouslyGothic

GorgeouslyGothic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

I like tea tree oil or witch hazel. Some people like to use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to make homemade toners. I find tea tree oil is best for spot treatment.

Got clear with Accutane; stayed clear with diet.

Pescetarian, wild seafood only. NO SOY EVER. No dairy. No eggs that aren't labeled as soy-free. TONS of fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices, legumes, raw nuts/seeds and whole grains. VERY limited junk food in VERY small portions. Be conscious of getting enough omega-3's.

I wash 2x daily with pure olive oil soap. I moisturize with a sparing amount of Cerave. I'm very particular when choosing makeup and I remove it with EVOO.

I used to be a skeptic about the holistic approach. Now I'm in control, and I'm never going back.

#3 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

If you're feeling a pimple coming on, you can't prevent the pimple from maturing. It's a clogged pore you have to treat. If you have a tendency for inflamed acne, treating the area with anti-inflammatories, like ice or manuka honey, could possibly help. If you tend to deal with non inflamed acne, I'd recommend an exfoliant like a natural sulfur mask based in bentonite clay--ranging from 5-10%, depending on skin resiliency. This will exfoliate the area and encourage the pimple to come to a head to be extracted.

Tea tree oil and witch hazel are generally astringents that are used for controlling oil production and/or drying the area applied, all of which I think are completely unnecessary and even damaging to the skin. If you disagree, I still firmly believe BETTER products exist beyond TTO and witch hazel. Astringents cause swelling that give a temporary appearing of smoother skin, swelling your pores closed (which is why so many think it'll "shrink your pores"). It's an illusion.

Overall, once the pimple is there it's there. Focus your effort on a regimen that will continually be fighting and preventing acne. It's good to remember that, if you need spot treatments, your regimen isn't that good in the first place now is it?

Posted Image

Edited by Vanbelle, 05 July 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#4 nfamousjade

nfamousjade

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Indian healing clay, works wonders!

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Seconded: Indian Healing Clay. This stuff will heal any sort of inflamed skin issue, it seems. Whether it's caused by an allergy, an infection, etc. It is my new favorite product.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#6 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Lemon juice mixed with non-iodized sea salt. But not lemon juice bought in a container, lemon juice squeezed from an actual lemon, nothing else added. The lemon I hear is supposed to fade red marks faster, and the sea salt dries the pimple and gets rid of it faster. I don't think it really prevents acne, but it helps get rid of pimples very well! Just make sure you use non-iodized, and it has to be actual SEA salt like not the very thin powdery ones but the bigger sea salt crystals.

Edited by AcneIsACurse, 06 July 2012 - 04:43 AM.

18 years old, acne sufferer for 5 years, both of my parents had acne into their 20s, many of my family members had acne, but not nearly as bad as mine.

My acne.org regimen log

What I currently use:
Cleanser: Basis Sensitive Skin Bar
Treatment: Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
Sunscreen (only during the day): Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 Sunblock

#7 Tony1990

Tony1990

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Seconded: Indian Healing Clay. This stuff will heal any sort of inflamed skin issue, it seems. Whether it's caused by an allergy, an infection, etc. It is my new favorite product.

I just researched on the indian healing clay and theres alot of positive reviews, how do you guys apply it? and do you leave it on overnight?

#8 nfamousjade

nfamousjade

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I just researched on the indian healing clay and theres alot of positive reviews, how do you guys apply it? and do you leave it on overnight?

It comes in a powder and u mix equal parts with water or ACV. ACV works wayyyy better tho. And you can apply it as a mask,but u shouldnt keep it on overnight. But as i spOt treatment I mix a little clay and ACV and put it only on the pimples and lets it dry then leave overnight. Works wonders on pimples.

#9 Geeking

Geeking

Nowhere Fast. Lightning Fast.

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

where do you get that Indian Healing Clay?
"...But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see..."

#10 nfamousjade

nfamousjade

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

where do you get that Indian Healing Clay?

I got mine at iherb.com. its called Aztec Secret Indian Healing clay. But Vitamin Shoppe also carries it, any health food store should have it. Or asking Amazon.

#11 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

All over. I happened to get mine on sale at a discount health store.

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#12 False priest

False priest

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

If you're feeling a pimple coming on, you can't prevent the pimple from maturing. It's a clogged pore you have to treat. If you have a tendency for inflamed acne, treating the area with anti-inflammatories, like ice or manuka honey, could possibly help. If you tend to deal with non inflamed acne, I'd recommend an exfoliant like a natural sulfur mask based in bentonite clay--ranging from 5-10%, depending on skin resiliency. This will exfoliate the area and encourage the pimple to come to a head to be extracted.

Posted Image

Hi, do you have a good mask you could recommend?

#13 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi, do you have a good mask you could recommend?

The only real "mask" I recommend is a sulfur mask based in bentonite clay. People in this thread have already suggested "Aztec Healing Clay," which is what bentonite clay is. I generally don't think the clay does much at all, but when it acts as a base for the colloidal sulfur, it's pretty good. It's a gentle keratolytic as an alternative to salicylic acid.

Variations of this include Dermify's 5% sulfur mask, DDF's 10% sulfur mask, and Garden of Wisdom's sulfur mask. GoW doesn't list the concentration of sulfur but it's pretty low.

The cool thing about GoW and Dermify is that they can double as a cleanser. Instead of leaving the mask on for a long period of time and spending even more time rinsing the stuff off, you can keep it wet and treat it like a cleanser. DDF is generally too much for most people so I'd only recommend it as a spot treatment, but it's a bad spot treatment at that, because I don't recommend exfoliating spot treatments! :)

I've tried all of these and it's a tie between Dermify and GoW. GoW is generally just gentler and better to handle.

:)

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I'd say clay. I dissolve an aspirin and apply for my rare inflamed pimples because I otherwise don't have these other things on hand. Queen Helene is a cheap sulphur and zinc clay mask available everywhere.

Sulfur is what provides the benefit in all those natural hot springs like in Iceland.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#15 egreen

egreen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

Tea tree for sure. Just use it sparingly and I don't suggest applying it more than a couple nights in a row because it can dry out the area.

#16 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Has anyone that uses the Indian Healing Clay figured out how to deal with irritation from it? I only use it for about 5-10 minutes because it irritates my skin if I leave it on for any longer. Even then, I can't use it very often because it seems to irritate and dry out the skin where it's used.

#17 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

It will cause redness in anyone's skin, but the redness should disappear after an hour or so. If it is causing prolonged redness or dryness, try using it less often.

Also, it helps if you only apply it to the effected area, not all over.

Morning:

Evening: