Photo

Accutane Journey For My Body And Soul

probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

#41 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

A lot of people have the flaky and itchiness going on too! From all the ladies and gent I talk to on here are either using head and shoulders ( I hear that the one with eucalyptus smells really good) or Neutrogena T-gel. It seems to take care of the problem. I have been able to avoid flakes and itchiness lucky me! I have been able to do that by like you said backing off washing my hair. Before Accutane I needed to wash my hair daily because it was so oily by the end of each day. Since I have stopped producing so much oil I can go seriously 3 days with my hair looking great. I can go longer if I wanted too. I also do a deep conditioning once a week. Which I think is helpful.

Thank you. Last night, I purchased a shea butter hair creme treatment by Nubian Naturals. I can't find a link to it but it has shea butter, olive oil, and several other oils. I used it last night with some jojoba oil on my scalp and hair and left it on for a couple of hours. It did seem to help and today my scalp doesn't feel as itchy.

Female / 30 years old / 117lbs / 5'4"

Moderate-severe cystic facial acne

Claravis start date: 7/6/12

Month 1: 40mg

Month 2: 60mg

Month 3: 60mg

Month 4: 60mg

Month 5: 60mg

Month 6?: 60mg

My Isotretinoin Log

Supplements: Fish Oil, Milk Thistle, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Probiotics

#42 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Here's the link to the hair treatment! Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque

My Isotretinoin Log

#43 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

That looks like it has some great stuff in there! I hope it continues to work for you!

#44 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

That looks like it has some great stuff in there! I hope it continues to work for you!

Yes, but look what I saw in Target earlier today! Shea Moisture Purification Masque... for "dry, itchy scalp" ! Wish I had seen that before, but I'll use up what I purchased and try that next time. I'm sure I'll need it!

My Isotretinoin Log

#45 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Black soap is supposed to be really good stuff. I have never used it, I would like to though. At this point adding or taking away anything from my routine is so scary though. Lots of people say the African black soap helps with the red marks if you cleanse with it.

#46 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Black soap is supposed to be really good stuff. I have never used it, I would like to though. At this point adding or taking away anything from my routine is so scary though. Lots of people say the African black soap helps with the red marks if you cleanse with it.

It is so hard to see all of these "latest and greatest" products in the store and not want to try Everything, isn't it??? So much good stuff out there but I'm all for sticking with something when I find it works!

My Isotretinoin Log

#47 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Day 11

It's amazing how big of a difference one day can make on this medicine. Side effects can pop or or change in no time!

My scalp has become dry, itchy and flaky! Last night, I purchased Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and left it in for a couple of hours. Felt great and it does seem to have helped as I'm not as itchy/flaky today. Finding the right stuff to combat this side effect may be trial and error. It may need to be a combo of less hair washing, more moisturizing conditioners, deep conditioners a couple of times/week, anti-dandruff shampoo. Earlier today at Target, I saw THIS: Shea Moisture Purification Masque (African Black Soap and specific for dry itchy scalp!) and I sort of wish I had seen it first, but I'll try it after I finish up what I bought.

My whole body feels itchy but moisturizing is helping keep the eczema rashes at bay. Trying to make it a relaxing ritual twice a day so it doesn't start feeling like a pain to do...

Lips are peeling some but are not uncomfortable at this point. And still able to wear my contacts!

I saw some more healing of the cystic jawline acne overnight! Still breaking out but those breakouts seem to heal more quickly and aren't as painful as normal.

Still feeling good about the overall success thus far :)

My Isotretinoin Log

#48 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

It is so hard to see all of these "latest and greatest" products in the store and not want to try Everything, isn't it??? So much good stuff out there but I'm all for sticking with something when I find it works!

Yeah it is hard not to want everything. I think I spent like 100 bucks each month my first 2 months until I found the right products for me. Body creams, SPF and face creams and cleaners all at 15 -20 bucks a pop plus all the lip junk and supplements really add up quickly. Im just so scared if I add anything in I will break out all over again.

#49 savannahjONACCUTANE

savannahjONACCUTANE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

IM ROOTIN FOR YA! ACNE NEEDDS TO DIEEEEEEEEEE HAHA >:(

Edited by savannahjONACCUTANE, 17 July 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#50 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Day 14

Two weeks! Wow, time seems to be flying, but I have a looong way to go.

My biggest side effect right now is my itchy scalp. I've used that shea butter masque a couple of times and it does help but only for about a day. I'll be making (another) trip to Whole Foods this evening to look for a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Would prefer not to use a medicated dandruff shampoo if I can help it. I'm hoping intense moisturizing will take care of this if I can find some good products.

My body is itchy too, although no more rashes. I purchased this Aveeno Bath Treatment and that really helped relieve and calm my skin.

I've had some spells of being very fatigued but it doesn't last all that long. My thirst is never quenched and I'm loooving this new Hydroflask insulated 40oz water bottle...one of the best investments I've made for this journey!

The lanolin is really doing the trick on my lips so far. They are dry but manageable.

My face is drying out and some of the bumps are flaky, but my moisturizers seem to be doing their job because there's no extreme dryness yet. On Day 12 my face looked red and rough and even more bumpy but the very next day it was looking better again. Overall, it's improved and healing and my new breakouts are decreasing in frequency.

I've been slacking on my healthy eating and I need to re-motivate myself. I have to remind myself that a healthy diet is a part of this healing process, just like taking the pills.

My Isotretinoin Log

#51 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Day 14

My biggest side effect right now is my itchy scalp. I've used that shea butter masque a couple of times and it does help but only for about a day. I'll be making (another) trip to Whole Foods this evening to look for a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Would prefer not to use a medicated dandruff shampoo if I can help it. I'm hoping intense moisturizing will take care of this if I can find some good products.

My body is itchy too, although no more rashes. I purchased this Aveeno Bath Treatment and that really helped relieve and calm my skin.

I've had some spells of being very fatigued but it doesn't last all that long. My thirst is never quenched and I'm loooving this new Hydroflask insulated 40oz water bottle...one of the best investments I've made for this journey!

The lanolin is really doing the trick on my lips so far. They are dry but manageable.

My face is drying out and some of the bumps are flaky, but my moisturizers seem to be doing their job because there's no extreme dryness yet. On Day 12 my face looked red and rough and even more bumpy but the very next day it was looking better again. Overall, it's improved and healing and my new breakouts are decreasing in frequency.

I've been slacking on my healthy eating and I need to re-motivate myself. I have to remind myself that a healthy diet is a part of this healing process, just like taking the pills.

2 weeks already wow! Congrats, its nice to have it started and some days under your belt isn't it.

Lucky for me I haven't had issues with a itchy scalp. Yet.. Things can still change with that. I have another 2 months to go on the tane. Things change every day for me so it wouldn't shock me. Have you been able to cut back on the time between washes? I think that will really help, but until the oil production cuts down on your scalp that might not be a choice quite yet. I know I needed to wash my hair daily still for the first few weeks. So hopefully you can do that soon if you aren't able to already. I understand not want to use a medicated shampoo. There are some natural things you can try like mixing tea tree oil with your shampoo or conditioner. I know you can buy them with it in there already online. Fish oil supplements help with it too. Just some ideas.

Body itches, moisturize moisturize moisturize. Is the Aveeno Bath Treatment like a oatmeal bath, like you used when you have the chicken pox to help with itches? If so awesome idea :)

#52 Summer5150

Summer5150

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Day 14

I completely hear you on the slacking of the healthy eating. It's always been important to me but I have to say, for the first time in fifteen years, I am not totally afraid of food and what my skin will look like after eating something not so healthy. It's been a blessing. Freeing. Healthy eating is great, I want that for myself...but I also appreciate feeling like the world won't end because I indulged a little. That is what I have found. I hope you can find your middle ground as well.

That is fantastic news that overall your skin is healing & new breakouts are decreasing in frequency. Sounds like it is a good fit for your body as well. Yay!

Female, 39 years old

moderate to severe cystic facial acne

particularly jawline, chin, neck (off/on last 15 years)

start date: 6/5/12

Month 1: 20mg - Claravis

Month 2: 20mg - Myorisan

Month 3: 40mg (20mg/2x day) - Myorisan

Month 4: - 40mg - Myorisan

Month 5: ?

Month 6: ?

#53 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

2 weeks already wow! Congrats, its nice to have it started and some days under your belt isn't it.

Lucky for me I haven't had issues with a itchy scalp. Yet.. Things can still change with that. I have another 2 months to go on the tane. Things change every day for me so it wouldn't shock me. Have you been able to cut back on the time between washes? I think that will really help, but until the oil production cuts down on your scalp that might not be a choice quite yet. I know I needed to wash my hair daily still for the first few weeks. So hopefully you can do that soon if you aren't able to already. I understand not want to use a medicated shampoo. There are some natural things you can try like mixing tea tree oil with your shampoo or conditioner. I know you can buy them with it in there already online. Fish oil supplements help with it too. Just some ideas.

Body itches, moisturize moisturize moisturize. Is the Aveeno Bath Treatment like a oatmeal bath, like you used when you have the chicken pox to help with itches? If so awesome idea Posted Image

Yes, it's great to have some time under my belt! I feel like my body has become somewhat accustomed now so I feel a little more comfortable. A little apprehensive about going up to 60mg though.

I purchased a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. I definitely can go without washing my hair every day with regards to oiliness, but it soothes my scalp to scrub it and condition it. I also tried a coconut oil/tea tree oil scalp treatment which helped. Just need to figure out what lasts!

Yes, the Aveeno is an oatmeal bath. Give it a try, it's nice!

I completely hear you on the slacking of the healthy eating. It's always been important to me but I have to say, for the first time in fifteen years, I am not totally afraid of food and what my skin will look like after eating something not so healthy. It's been a blessing. Freeing. Healthy eating is great, I want that for myself...but I also appreciate feeling like the world won't end because I indulged a little. That is what I have found. I hope you can find your middle ground as well.

That is fantastic news that overall your skin is healing & new breakouts are decreasing in frequency. Sounds like it is a good fit for your body as well. Yay!

I know what you mean on feeling less cautious about what you eat. It also may be easier now to figure out if I have any food culprits...if I stop breaking out literally all the time, I may be able to make better connections to foods that aggravate me. I still believe food is a playing a role for me, but I can never pinpoint anything specific because I never stop breaking out.

My Isotretinoin Log

#54 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Day 16

Entering in to week 3!

I spoke too soon again...it really is shocking how quickly things can change. My lips are now super dry and my face is starting to get flaky! Nothing outrageous yet, but it does make me a little apprehensive about bumping up to 60mg in a couple of weeks.

I made my trek to Whole Foods and got some more goodies. That place is so overwhelming. The cool thing is that I can return anything (with or without a receipt) if I don't like it, even if it's been used. I purchased Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Scalp Normalizing Shampoo and Conditioner. I used that last night after I did a coconut oil/tea tree oil scalp treatment. I just slathered on a bunch of coconut oil on my scalp, mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil...kept it on for about an hour before washing it out. The coconut smells divine! It did help, but nothing seems to last more than a day. I'm trying to not wash my hair more than every other day, thinking that will keep me from drying out as much, but it seems to really help to scrub and condition!

Looking for new makeup, trying to go the natural route there too. How I long for the day when I need zero makeup! :) I love mineral foundations (I've used Bare Minerals in matte w/o bismuth, and I love Everyday Minerals too), but they just haven't given me enough coverage and my oiliness just erases it in no time. Now that I'm not oily, I hope I can find some more natural makeups that will work for me.

My Isotretinoin Log

#55 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I got a cool card in the mail from my sweet mom the other day:

"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow"

-Orison Swett Marden

My Isotretinoin Log

#56 Summer5150

Summer5150

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Body itches, moisturize moisturize moisturize. Is the Aveeno Bath Treatment like a oatmeal bath, like you used when you have the chicken pox to help with itches? If so awesome idea Posted Image

Yes, it's great to have some time under my belt! I feel like my body has become somewhat accustomed now so I feel a little more comfortable. A little apprehensive about going up to 60mg though.

I purchased a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. I definitely can go without washing my hair every day with regards to oiliness, but it soothes my scalp to scrub it and condition it. I also tried a coconut oil/tea tree oil scalp treatment which helped. Just need to figure out what lasts!

Yes, the Aveeno is an oatmeal bath. Give it a try, it's nice!

I know what you mean on feeling less cautious about what you eat. It also may be easier now to figure out if I have any food culprits...if I stop breaking out literally all the time, I may be able to make better connections to foods that aggravate me. I still believe food is a playing a role for me, but I can never pinpoint anything specific because I never stop breaking out.

Yeah...I get that. It was very tough to see what was a trigger when there was no let up in the breakouts. I think it is easier now. I'm not playing detective the way I should because I figure this is a very hard journey anyway, and I'm trying to be very gentle with myself about everything.

BTW, how are you liking the Whole Foods version of the gentle cleanser? I was peeking at it yesterday and want to try it but I'm scared to try something new and I still have some cleanser to use up. It looks pretty good though!

Female, 39 years old

moderate to severe cystic facial acne

particularly jawline, chin, neck (off/on last 15 years)

start date: 6/5/12

Month 1: 20mg - Claravis

Month 2: 20mg - Myorisan

Month 3: 40mg (20mg/2x day) - Myorisan

Month 4: - 40mg - Myorisan

Month 5: ?

Month 6: ?

#57 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yeah...I get that. It was very tough to see what was a trigger when there was no let up in the breakouts. I think it is easier now. I'm not playing detective the way I should because I figure this is a very hard journey anyway, and I'm trying to be very gentle with myself about everything.

BTW, how are you liking the Whole Foods version of the gentle cleanser? I was peeking at it yesterday and want to try it but I'm scared to try something new and I still have some cleanser to use up. It looks pretty good though!

I'm not playing detective either at this point, but I DO need to get back on track a bit with my eating habits. I started off great and then got off track when I started with the rash side effects for several days.

Hmmm the jury is still out on the WF cleansers (I have both the gentle cleanser and the facial cleanser)... The skin cleanser (which doesn't foam up) tends to burn my face sometimes (just while it's on my face, not after I wash it off). Even though the facial cleanser is for normal/oily skin (and foaming), it doesn't burn nearly as much...and it takes my makeup off better. It could be that my face is just really sensitive and that any cleanser is going to burn a little bit, I'm not sure.

I am having trouble finding a gentle (natural) cleanser that is intended for dry skin that also foams up (because the foaming action is what gets my makeup off). Maybe I should just stop wearing makeup! (ahh, one day, one day...) :)

My Isotretinoin Log

#58 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Day 19
Week 3

Healing has slowed the last couple of days and I've had some new bumps pop up above my lip and on my jawline (which was starting to heal so nicely).

I've had several bumps on my cheek that have been taking a long time to heal and they finally started scabbing over. After washing my face last night, several bumps started bleeding and were very raw. My makeup is so much harder to take off now that my skin is dry and everything is just sticking to those dead skin cells. So using a wash cloth is necessary but makes it hard to avoid rubbing off scabs. I dabbed a little neosporin on these spots last night. They still look pretty rough this morning.

So it looks like finding a gentler makeup is really important now. I can't scrub every night without doing damage. I'm used to needing something for oily skin and usually those makeups are already formulated for acne prone skin. Now I need something for dry skin, but I have to be careful that they won't cause breakouts!

Scalp is itchy again today. My elbows are a peely mess.

I know that this is all just part of the process so I'm not going to dwell on a little back pedaling. Still kinda sucks though!

My Isotretinoin Log

#59 zodistarr

zodistarr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like you are making progress tho! And so far no IB??

I bought some Coconut oil too- I love it! I start my treatment August 7th so I'm still in the "prep" stage (and the LOOOOOONG waiting phase!).

I heard Eurcerin Calming Lotion is great… maybe you could try that on your dry skin. I love the shea butter but it's not something I would want to put on right before I leave the house.

As for the make-up…. do you think it would help to use a cleansing cloth first and then gently wash your face? Just a thought. Keep pushin' through the journey!

#60 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Ugh I know it sucks. Hate the repeated scabbing and healing process, but yes, it will heal!

I know it's not natural, but the best thing I've used that gently cleanses the skin AND removes makeup without stripping is Cerave Foaming Cleanser. It works for dry skin, too. Just make sure to moisturizer ASAP. It's too drying for the morning, though, so the Cerave Hydrating Cleanser is great for the AM, or water, or anything gentle.

How often are you washing your hair? My hair looks so dry and dead, I try to only wash it every other day. Sometimes I go 2-3 days without washing it and it still looks the same. It's freaky.

28 years young female nutrition ninja

blah blah acne forever. let's kick it in the nutz, accutane.

Barlean's omega 3-6-9 swirl, probiotics, Thorne liver support, vitamin D

Started Claravis May 16, 2012

Month 1: 40 mg
Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Ending October 18, 2012

link to my loggy