Here is what I notice so far:
- My lips are dry but manageable with Aquaphor
- My face is dry (was an oil slick before, so okay with this) but moisturizer is helping--still haven't found my perfect one
- My scalp is itchy and dry and I have dandruff (new one for me)--need to find a good remedy for this
- My nose blackheads seem to be inching their way out and my nose feels very rough
- Breakouts are emerging (no more than usual though) but they seem to go away A LOT quicker than before
- No new cysts have appeared (and that was my acne type), just "regular" pimples, papules, which for me, feels like a vast improvement. After years of weird, hard, large and painful bumps (in lovely clusters) under my skin around chin, neck, jawline, that would stay around for months, regular pimples are almost welcome, if that makes sense.
- I am super, super tired. Less sharp in my head. Less motivated.
- I feel bloated 100% of the time, whether I can go to the bathroom or not. Bowels are not active enough despite a healthy diet and exercise and tons of water
I am on only 20mg this first month and the derm wants to increase me to 40mg next time (Mon, 7/9) but I am really hesitant to jump ahead. Everything I am experiencing right now feels manageable and I am afraid if any of the above were to drastically increase, I might really struggle with my compliance. It's a balance I guess.
I am not sure I have the best products for this journey and yet also feel that fear I always have with trying new things. Trying to decide if I should just maintain the best I can without any change. Considering adding Neosporin to my routine to try to heal actives, instead of the more drying attempts I make now (sulphur & mud masks).
Struggling with my need to wear some type of makeup for my confidence level at work (I'm the oldest one there and the only one with bad skin!). I don't wear all over foundation, but I spend a lot of time trying to cover up my red marks or actives. I know our skin needs to breathe but....
Trying to keep my eye on the prize and understand this is not a quick fix, but a journey and no one said the journey would be easy.
I appreciate everyone who posts about their experience and encourages others to hang in there. I am trying to do just that. Have to say though, there are not many in my life who want to hear about this so I am grateful there is a place I can come for support.
I realize I neglected to relate all of the things I had tried previous to trying Accutane. It is important for me to know where I was at before I finally took this step.
- Antibiotics, including Bactrim
- OTC - you name it, drug store, Sephora, Ulta, all the popular kits, a ton of products, masks, spot treatments, washes, zeno
- Birth control
- Facials - high end, including light therapy and exfoliation
- Scripts - Retin A, Tazorac, Benzaclin, Clindamycin, custom blend of all with Benzo, Aczone, Cortizone shots
- Cleanses, detox, supplements, vitamins, homeopathy, naturopath, acupuncture, chiropractic, prayer, meditation, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, tea tree, apple cider vinager, mud masks, aloe, gentle skin care...........
- 15-16 years ago, tried an unsuccessful course of Accutane that left me with awful keloid scars
- I'm sure I am forgetting things. 15+ years of trial after trial after trial and 4 different derms
Edited by Summer5150, 14 July 2012 - 10:26 AM.