Photo

Is Surgery My Last Hope For This Forehead Cyst?

cyst cystic acne scarring cortisone pop co2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Background
As a background, I have never really had bad acne at all. After reading this forum, I feel fortunate!

I had ONE issue before- a sebaceous cyst that happened when I was 21. I stupidly pushed on it hard to pop it, got worse, 2 cortisone injections later I had plastic surgery on it and it was removed. The scar was bad and my first experience with a plastic surgeon was lame.

Current Issue
Fast forward to now- I am 26, and about a month ago I felt another cyst coming on. No big, because since my 1st surgery, I knew not to touch it, put some BP on it, and it will subside. And they usually did, except this one.

Big and red and painful. And bright as day. It also has a core- a big pore is stuck in the middle of it! Not sure what this means!

I put BP on it, drank tons of water, changed diet, left it alone, never touched it, etc pretty much evverything I read about on this website. FML, a week and a half later, it was just getting bigger.

Went to my derm, and he injected it with cortisone. He also prescribed some clyndomyacin. It scabbed up over the next few days- great I thought, but after the scab went away, it was still there- smaller but still there. The clyndomyacin helped for a bit (mixed with some BP), but eventually it stopped reacting and it made what seemed like no difference.

Went again a couple of weeks later, and got it lanced this time, then injected with cortisone. The doc said it was actually looking like an acne cyst, not a sebaceous cyst, and that it could get better. The cyst almost went completely away, however today, a week later, it is still there and getting a little bit bigger. Not as big as it was, but still there.

Moving forward with alternative options

I made an appointment for surgery at the derm- AGAIN. Surgery = scars, and while I hate the option, I hate the cyst more. At least with a scar I can say I was injured or something.

Before I take the plunge, I wanted to ask you all (since the advice on here is amazing), is there anything I can try before I get a big old scar on my face?

Options I have identified:
-Another cortisone shot: this seems like a great option as it minimizes the cyst but it just doesnt go away.
-Mario Bascedu Buffering Lotion: long shot but worth a try
-Salycyclic Acid: using BP instead of this on derm's advice, but is it any different?
-Tea Tree Oil: Does this have any shot of working?
-CO2 Laser Treatment: Looks like a good option but seems to require a lot of visits and I am almost at my max on my insurance.

If surgery is a must, I am wondering about the following:
-It doesnt seem that deep- is there a possibility that the derm can just make a small cut and extract the core? My last surgery was really deep, so the core and cyst wall was tough to get out. Not so sure this is the same case.
-How can I minimize scarring? I had a bad experience with my plastic surgeon, and am hoping this derm can make a smaller incision and smaller scar.

Thanks again for all of your help and perspectives on this forum. I like my derm, and trust him, but it wold be great to hear from you all before I go under the knife.

Bump, both literally and figureatively Posted Image

#2 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Well I have some experience with cysts. I get them in the same location on my face, my cheekbone (don't know why...just do...very annoying -.-).

Anyways, how big is this cyst exactly? like...the size of a pencil eraser or like...the size of a dollar?

Mine generally are a little bigger then a pencil eraser. I have one at the moment, and haven't had one for about a year and so...I don't really know what to do with the thing. I used to pick at them or try and pop them but I know that's a really bad idea.

eventually, I think they do go away on their own...or at least...do the stupid thing and sink back into your skin and just become a hard lump in your skin.

have you tried making it come to a head by using a hot compress? That happened to me before. I had this HUGE cyst between my eyebrows, like...it was BAD. I never seen a pimple that big on someone in real life before....it lived on my face for awhile and then one day I just kept putting a hot wash cloth on it until I saw a teeny tiny whitehead forming and I poped it...

it was gross...blood and crap on the mirror....

sigh.

#3 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Anyways, how big is this cyst exactly? like...the size of a pencil eraser or like...the size of a dollar?

It is a little bit bigger than a pencil eraser, but has changed sizes from a pimple sized cyst to the size of a small bouncy ball. Now it is at a little bigger than a pencil eraser.

have you tried making it come to a head by using a hot compress? That happened to me before. I had this HUGE cyst between my eyebrows, like...it was BAD. I never seen a pimple that big on someone in real life before....it lived on my face for awhile and then one day I just kept putting a hot wash cloth on it until I saw a teeny tiny whitehead forming and I poped it...

sigh.

I have tried this extensively, but after a while it didn't help much. That was actually a bit different than my previous cyst. The one that I had surgery on previously would really shrink down small after I put a hot compress on it, but just fill back up with puss.

This one kind of reacted to that, but after a while it didn't matter much. It only drew more stuff to it and made it worse. So hot compress is kind of off the table....

#4 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

I don't think the TTO or SA are going to be much help, just because it is so deep in your skin. I'd personally try the hot compress thing, and see how that goes, if you REALLY want it gone now instead of waiting to see what happens. It'll probably keep getting inflammed if it doesn't come to a head simply because of the pressure.

But it'd have to be pretty ready to be "extracted" because if it was poped incorrectly then it'd just make it more inflammed. I was lucky with the one between my eyes because it didn't leave a scar. I thought it was going to because it scabbed over and there was a red mark there for awhile, but I kept putting aloe vera and antibiotic cream on it with a bandaid and it went away quickly....

I hate cysts more then anything and they hurt like a mother-effer...like this sharp throbbing ache...gah.

but yeah, I don't think topicals will help much. I suppose you could also try ice...but I don't do that very often.

#5 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Do you have any thoughts on an additional cortisone shot? Maybe 3rd time is the charm? I see a lot of people give up after 2 of them, but maybe others have had success with 3 or more?

Also, thanks Ivy. for your feedback. Any bit of information helps.

#6 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Anyyyyy one else?

#7 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm surprised your derm hasn't given you a retinoid yet.

#8 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm surprised your derm hasn't given you a retinoid yet.

Hmm...interesting....can you tell me more? Is this something that might get rid of the cyst?

The thing is the rest of my face is totally clear, so my thought is a Retinoid like Retin-a micro or something might cause it to be worse. But if I just used it on the cyst, how much worse could it even get....

#9 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Does anyone think the Mario B Buffering lotion has any shot? Seems like it's getting a lot of good reviews. Going to give it a shot. God I hope this works I do not want to get cut open :-(

#10 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Damn, well, the buffering lotion doesn't seem to be doing anything. The knife is going to be my last option. This sucks.

#11 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone know how I can make the swelling go down at all? It's gotten a lot larger again and Ibuprofen and ice aren't really doing much. Excercise only aggrevates it which is another WTF moment on this journey.

#12 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

It sounds as though surgical extraction may be your final option, particularly as your derm already has suggested it. Make sure that's what your derm recommends and ask if there's another alternative you might consider prior to going surgical route. Cortisone injection in the same spot more than twice has risks as well, including scarring.

#13 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

UPDATE: The cyst has formed a small head on it from the lacing scar, and is somewhat going down. Interesting development. Bad news is I think I still need to get some of it cut out, good news is that it is getting smaller and going down, lessening the size of the scar. That will result from surgery.

#14 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

SECOND UPDATE: The cyst actually formed a small head on it last week. I kept it clean and the head just got bigger. Finally, it popped on its own, oozing stuff out of the head. Really really gross. There was a HALF INCH CORE still sticking out, so I pushed it out and a bunch of stuff came out. Cleaned it, and since it has really gone down, flattened out, and is barely visible, but the mass of skin is still there.

TOMORROW I am slated to have the extraction surgery. It hasn't flared up and its pretty small, so I am wondering if I should cancel. What's worse? Surgery with a small scar, or a small bump? I am wondering if it could flare up again and fill, but the core is out of it and it hasn't throbbed or been fussy at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#15 duffduffxx

duffduffxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Update (since no one responds on here I will just treat this like a journal):

Went to the derm and he said because it was so small he wouldnt be able to successfully cut it out and remove it. So I went home. Dang.

What I can't figure out is if the remaining mass there is the cyst wall or just excess scar tissue.

#16 Livingdeadsoul

Livingdeadsoul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well I have some experience with cysts. I get them in the same location on my face, my cheekbone (don't know why...just do...very annoying -.-).

Mine generally are a little bigger then a pencil eraser. I have one at the moment, and haven't had one for about a year and so...I don't really know what to do with the thing. I used to pick at them or try and pop them but I know that's a really bad idea.

eventually, I think they do go away on their own...or at least...do the stupid thing and sink back into your skin and just become a hard lump in your skin.

sigh.

I usually get under the skin type pimples, you know the ones that are flat and easy to cover up but hurt when you press on them, on my right cheekbone. But, just about a week ago it became a cyst or something. It's so bad idk what to do with it. I want to pick at it but it hurts. Also, I'm using retin-a and I'm only on my 1st week. I don't know if I should discontinue using retin-a and pop this thing ..or attempt to? And then continue with retin a. Ahhhhh. :(

& @duffduffxx, how's yours going? Did it heal?

Edited by Livingdeadsoul, 07 August 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#17 SimonUKOX

SimonUKOX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Maybe try asking your dermatologist about Retin-A.