Photo

What Can/can't I Eat Before A Blood Test?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lngo

Lngo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

So as you know when you're on accutane you have to do those blood tests. Anyway,

I'm gonna be awake at 4:00 AM (school + studying for exam) and my blood test won't be until 2:00 PM, so that's a ten hour difference... I'm sure I can eat something during those times, anyone know what I can/can't eat (and drink)? And why is it bad to eat/drink before a blood test?

Also, I may want a snack after my exam, which is 10:30AM, is it ok to eat like an Apple or Banana? Like I said my blood test won't be until 2:00PM

#2 Zraden

Zraden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

You cant eat anything im afraid and only drink water. The reason your fasting is because they want to
know things like cholesterol and lipid levels. If you botch those results with food and your tests come back
poor, your derma might pull you off the drug for concerns over liver functionality. You must fast for 12 hours
before the blood work. No getting around it.

Those tests are pretty sensitive. I had Mcdonalds 2 days before blood work one time and it still
raised my lipid counts. My derma flagged me and I had to go in for a second appointment.

Because of this, I always make my blood work appointments at around 10am.
Then I can eat and drink up till 8pm the night before and im not trying to run a whole day
without food.

Edited by Zraden, 21 June 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Accutane.......  It worked
Accutane Logs http://www.acne.org/...ss-it-was-time/

Favorite quote

"I was feeling depressed because I had acne so I took Accutane.

Accutane made me depressed so I stopped taking it.

Now I'm depressed cause my acne came back. "

LOL.. talk about counter productive eusa_doh.gif  

#3 Lngo

Lngo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

You cant eat anything im afraid and only drink water. The reason your fasting is because they want to
know things like cholesterol and lipid levels. If you botch those results with food and your tests come back
poor, your derma might pull you off the drug for concerns over liver functionality. You must fast for 12 hours
before the blood work. No getting around it.

Those tests are pretty sensitive. I had Mcdonalds 2 days before blood work one time and it still
raised my lipid counts. My derma flagged me and I had to go in for a second appointment.

Because of this, I always make my blood work appointments at around 10am.
Then I can eat and drink up till 8pm the night before and im not trying to run a whole day
without food.

What!?! I *just* finished my sandwhich too.... It's 2 AM here, and blood test is at 2 PM. Guess I won't be eating starting right now...

Oh and another question, what if I'm eating GOOD stuff? I want to continue my accutane, so I guess you can say I'm cheating by eating stuff that will enhance my blood test with positive results. My first blood test said I had high blood pressure but my doctor said he'll allow me to continue but I need to exercise more.

But yeah, even eating healthy stuff like a banana, cucumber, etc will make the test come back "poor"??

#4 Zraden

Zraden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

Im not sure what a banana or cucumber will do to any other test there looking at so I would just follow the
fasting rules. No food and only water for 12 hours. I have seen the lab reject people at the counter if they
admit they had a snack or ate anything with in those 12 hours and tell them to come back another day when they can fast properly. Posted Image

Here's the double edge sword. Its better to take Accutane with a fatty meal as it helps the liver absorb
the Tane better. So if your exorcising and what not, you need to find "good fat" meals to take your pill with.

Edited by Zraden, 22 June 2012 - 12:21 AM.

Favorite quote

#5 Lngo

Lngo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Im not sure what a banana or cucumber will do to any other test there looking at so I would just follow the
fasting rules. No food and only water for 12 hours. I have seen the lab reject people at the counter if they
admit they had a snack or ate anything with in those 12 hours and tell them to come back another day when they can fast properly. Posted Image

Here's the double edge sword. Its better to take Accutane with a fatty meal as it helps the liver absorb
the Tane better. So if your exorcising and what not, you need to find "good fat" meals to take your pill with.

Really? Like peanut butter sandwich?

I hate PB Sandwich but I usually take it right after I work out because I heard it repairs the muscles. But I usually just take accutane with water (after a few hours after dinner)

#6 Zraden

Zraden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Really? Like peanut butter sandwich?

I hate PB Sandwich but I usually take it right after I work out because I heard it repairs the muscles. But I usually just take accutane with water (after a few hours after dinner)

http://www.divavilla...ticle/id/47980/

The closer you take your pill to your food, the better it is

Favorite quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users