Photo

Are All Grains Bad?

grains gluten bad intolerance rice buckwheat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

People on this forum say "avoid grains" and i agree, but are all grains bad? I know some grains can contain gluten which does cause problems for me but what else is there in the grains like rice or buckwheat which make them bad for acne? If we don't take the GI of foods into account.

#2 SuperMachii

SuperMachii

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Of all the things to look out for.. in diet... grains are nowhere near the problem. in fact, if your diet is nice and balanced, I'd say eat grains and you still won't get acne. Excess sugar I'd say is possibly number 1, then maybe alcohol or highly processed carbs, processed milk, and fake fats and bad fats, and other imbalanced fat ratio food contents, etc.

---

Edited by Wangod, 21 June 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#3 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

People on this forum say "avoid grains" and i agree, but are all grains bad? I know some grains can contain gluten which does cause problems for me but what else is there in the grains like rice or buckwheat which make them bad for acne? If we don't take the GI of foods into account.

That's just it: you have to take the GI into account, because it does have an impact on your body. Insulin and all that.

Personally, if I make sure I eat them along with another good source of fiber, consequent breakouts are minor at worst. In most cases, it doesn't do much for your body to eat plain grains anyway. There may be some nutrients, but you'd be better off getting them elsewhere.

#4 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Grains are horrible and damaging if you have digestive issues and a leaky gut. It's a safe bet that if you're still breaking you regularly, you need to focus on digestive healing.

If you took care of that problem, you can eat grains but they should always be well-prepared by sprouting, soaking, fermenting and/or slow-roasting. All of these preparation methods will inactivate some of the antinutrients that naturally protect the seed.

Just because grains make most people break out, doesn't mean you won't ever be able to have them again after your body returns to balance and a state of health.

Of all the things to look out for.. in diet... grains are nowhere near the problem. in fact, if your diet is nice and balanced, I'd say eat grains and you still won't get acne. Excess sugar I'd say is possibly number 1, then maybe alcohol or highly processed carbs, processed milk, and fake fats and bad fats, and other imbalanced fat ratio food contents, etc.

---

I'll have to disagree. There's plenty of people here who break out in a very noticeable and significant way from wheat, even when the rest of their diet is near spotless..

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

There are other grains that have antinutrients that do the same harm as gluten. They usually have less and they are less harmful, but it's still there. corn and rice are examples. Also, rice is very good at absorbing arsenic and much of the rice grown in the US is grown on former cotton fields treated with tons of fertilizer containing arsenic.

Quinoa, which isn't really a grain, is also coated with saponins that damage the digestive tract. That's why you need to rinse it, but you have no way of knowing if you got it all.

And in general, you shouldn't fill your diet with grains. Especially in the form of processed foods. They are empty or nearly empty calories.

#6 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

---

This is my current diet:
no red meats (unless organic)
no grains with gluten in them
no high GI foods
no dairy from cows, (im introducing goats milk)
no processed foods
no sugar
loads of fruit
salad
vegetables
fish
nuts
some grains

but i still get some small spots! Why?

That's just it: you have to take the GI into account, because it does have an impact on your body. Insulin and all that.

Personally, if I make sure I eat them along with another good source of fiber, consequent breakouts are minor at worst. In most cases, it doesn't do much for your body to eat plain grains anyway. There may be some nutrients, but you'd be better off getting them elsewhere.

I meant i only eat low GI foods....

Seriously good info here, i thought my acne may be because of my digestive tract, however my forehead has become totally clear, which is often said to be closely linked with the digestive tract. I took pro-biotics for a long time, as well as eating very well. I see it as very unlikely that my acne is due to digestive problems, im fairly certain that a year of healthy eating would fix it.
My main issue now is that my breakouts are inconsistent.
I break out on my cheeks one day and then the next on my chin. It's annoying since im so close to finding the answer....
I dont break out on my temples, upper cheek, forehead or body since i started the diet. The most important areas are still affected by small deflated spots!! They are still just as red!

#7 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

---

This is my current diet:
no high GI foods
no processed foods
no sugar
loads of fruit
salad
vegetables
fish
nuts
some grains

I meant i only eat low GI foods....

Seriously good info here, i thought my acne may be because of my digestive tract, however my forehead has become totally clear, which is often said to be closely linked with the digestive tract. I took pro-biotics for a long time, as well as eating very well. I see it as very unlikely that my acne is due to digestive problems, im fairly certain that a year of healthy eating would fix it.
My main issue now is that my breakouts are inconsistent.
I break out on my cheeks one day and then the next on my chin. It's annoying since im so close to finding the answer....
I dont break out on my temples, upper cheek, forehead or body since i started the diet. The most important areas are still affected by small deflated spots!! They are still just as red!

you most likely break out from a certain food or food group, pinpoint what it is and you can eat anything you want besides it, even if it is unhealthy, although i wouldnt recommend that...

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Deflated? You mean flat? Maybe you have rosacea? How old are you? Do they go away quickly?

#9 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Grains are horrible and damaging if you have digestive issues and a leaky gut. It's a safe bet that if you're still breaking you regularly, you need to focus on digestive healing.

^This. Grains are probably okay for people with perfect guts. But if you have damage to your gut/leaky gut, they are a big no-no.

#10 SuperMachii

SuperMachii

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

---

This is my current diet:
no high GI foods
no processed foods
no sugar
loads of fruit
salad
vegetables
fish
nuts
some grains

are you consuming citrus fruits? salad dressing? what was your diet like prior to this current acne-filtered diet? what do you eat now? do you drink enough water, are you suffering from this summer heat in the east usa? do you get a good amount of daily activity? do you excersize regularly? were you stressed out or sexually tense during the time of your recent outbreak? have you been using drying cleansers on your face? do you leave on acne-treating chemicals on your face? do you use lotion? sunscreen?

---

Edited by Wangod, 21 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#11 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

Deflated? You mean flat? Maybe you have rosacea? How old are you? Do they go away quickly?

no i mean there is a lot less inflammation when i do break out on this diet.