Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hormonal Treatment - Spironolactone And Stroke

2 posts in this topic

When I was young (12-16) I had persistent acne on my face and neck, back and shoulders. I went on birth control at age 17 and it cleared up my acne and I pretty much forgot about it. At age 26 I had stroke and I am not allowed to use oral birth control anymore. Since my stroke in March 2012 my skin has broken out on my face and body. I was perscribed Differin, but I haven't seen any real improvement. I am pretty sure my acne is hormonal since the oral birth control helped dramatically and then reappeared as soon as I stopped the pill. My hair and skin are also very oily.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar expereince. Does anyone with blood clotting disorders use Spironolactone for acne? Are there any hormonal treatments that are safe for people with a history of stroke, blood clotting issues?

It shouldn't be a problem unless you are taking an anti-clotting drug. Like any drug, spiro can interact negatively with other drugs. Here are the contraindications and such. (ALDACTONE is the brand name for spironolactone)

you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant

ALDACTONE should not be used during pregnancy due to possible effects on the developing baby (fetus).

you are breast feeding

The drug may appear in the breast milk and be passed to the infant.

you are allergic to ALDACTONE or to any of the tablet ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet

If you have an allergic reaction you may get a skin rash, have difficulty in breathing, or become faint.

you have severe kidney disease or are not passing urine

you have hyperkalaemia (high levels of potassium in the blood).

Hyperkalaemia is very serious if you also suffer from severe heart failure. Symptoms of severe heart failure are shortness of breath and swelling of the legs from fluid build.

you have Addison's disease (a condition where the adrenal glands do not work properly)

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables