Photo

Breakouts Everywhere, On And Off.

acne teen breakout oily pimple pimples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 zhonsolitario

zhonsolitario

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have been trying to tackle acne for over a year or so, I'm 16 this year.
(when I was 15) It used to be just a couple of pimples that goes away after one week but I over reacted and harshly treated my skin (washing my face with a body wash then scrub and finally with the cleanser) and I have regret it a lot...

My daily regime : (3 - 4 max times per day)
A scrub
Avene Cleanance Gel* (face wash)
Toner
Moisturiser

The face wash felt great when I started using it, it makes my skin feel smooth and reduces the size of the pore but recently the condition of my face became pretty bad with a lot of breakouts (cheek, chin / jaw and the sides of my forehead near beside the eyebrows / eyes).
I have trouble finding a good scrub, toner and moisturiser. I have been switching brands for quite a while but have not found one that feels good and due to the fact that I'm living in Singapore, I cannot get my hands on some of the recommended / common brands in North America.
Occasionally I get a day or two when there are no or little breakouts and smooth skin, but I do get varying breakout patterns all over my face (a few weeks on my left cheek, a few weeks on my right cheek, some breakouts on my T zone and beside the eyebrows / eyes). It is very frustrating and I am feeling quite depressed by it, unable to gain confidence with the condition of my skin.

I have a question, everyone suggests washing the face only twice daily (Morning / Evening).
When I come back home from school in the afternoon, I sweat a lot and my face feels oily and I will head to the shower (also washing my face).
Is that bad for my skin ? (Taking out the oil and causing my skin to overproduce oil ?
And should I not wash my face when I'm showering? I am used to washing my face when I shower and it has been a habit for me*

Really need help, finally able to post in the message board after months (some admin problems).
Please advice and suggest ways / method I can do to improve my condition. THANKS!

#2 Kin92

Kin92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Using a scrub twice a day or more might do more harm than good. Maybe get a gentle cleanser, or the one you already have, and try to just wash your face 2x max. If your face is oily in the middle of the day you can try to blot it with something like a piece of toilet paper. Just lightly press it on the oily parts of your face. Your toner might be overdrying? Depends on what brand I guess. But irritating the face too much can cause more oil to be produced and more likely to breakout. Hope you figure something out!

#3 zhonsolitario

zhonsolitario

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

I feel that the current cleanser is good and gentle on my skin, what toner would you recommend ? or which ingredients to look for in one. Thinking of changing my toner, moisturiser and the scrub to something more gentle and effective. Any suggestions?

#4 Kin92

Kin92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Well you can try searching through beautypedia.com, it helps you to choose good products and it will explain why some products aren't good

#5 zhonsolitario

zhonsolitario

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Wow, this is just roughly 3 days after keeping the daily washing limit at 2. My face's oil production did reduce, but I do feel a little uncomfortable worrying about breakouts and pimples.
I have another question, is it a need to use a mask (mud musk) every week (a few times per week)? Thinking of getting a mask to improve my facial condition, after finding a replacement for my toner and moisturiser. Any suggestions?

#6 Kin92

Kin92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I dont really know what are "good" ingredients to look for in a mask since I've never really used one.. but I know clay masks are used to purge pores and I think help reduce oil for like a day or two lol. Either way, if you get one , just use it like once a week for a little bit cuz it might make you breakout or irritate your face. If it seems to help. then using it like every 3 or 4 days is fine

#7 evelyne

evelyne

evelyne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Hey! I'm a Singaporean here too! (:
I think it's good advice posted above that you should reduce washing your face to a max of twice per day. If you're afraid of feeling 'dirty', maybe you can just use water instead of cleanser to replace any additional washes.

Also, when you exercise, it would be good to wash your face(with water/cleanser) as soon a possible to remove any sweat or impurities which may clog your pores. However, I would suggest that you avoid the cleanser if you are just coming back from school.

Plus, since you mentioned that you have been changing products, perhaps you can try just sticking to a single gentle cleanser for at least a month or two? That's when you can tell whether the cleanser is really suitable for you. Otherwise, if you keep changing frequently, you may possibly further irritate your skin. (I'm assuming that you experiment with new products frequently, but ignore this if you don't) Currently I'm using The Body Shop tea tree foaming cleanser. I don't think it's really gentle but I feel clean and fresh after use. Not sure whether it helps my skin much but at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't irritate my skin. (:

If you're looking for a mask, maybe you can try a more natural approach? I realise after much experimentation that sometimes natural is much better than apply chemicals to my face. I've been using a honey mask regularly and it really speeds up healing for me. I use Manuka honey(other honeys are fine too but try to make sure they are preservative free and unprocessed as far as possible), which is pretty expensive but can last a loooong time since I use very little honey at a time. I usually just apply a thin layer(not sufficient enough to drip) and dap a little more at trouble areas+scars/marks+spot treat. I leave it on for a couple of hours then wash off by splashing with cold water. Honey is naturally antibacterial and promotes healing. Oh and do a patch test to make sure you aren't allergic to honey first!

Sometime at night, I mix honey to aloe vera gel in a 1:3 ratio and apply it over my face. It really helps to calm my skin and heal scars overnight! I find that honey won't be too sticky and stick to my bed sheets when I use 100% aloe vera gel mixed in it. You can experiment with the ratio and thickness of application if you want to try it out.

Sorry for the long post! But finally I'm just gonna share one last bit of advice. Since you seem to be suffering from acne for only a year or so, it could be due to hormonal changes etc and so, may be only temporary. So don't apply too many chemicals on your face(as I did in the past) as it can further irritant and prevent your skin from healing, just let your skin heal itself but if things get worse, it'll be good to visit a dermatologist.

Alright that's it! All the best to you! (:

#8 zhonsolitario

zhonsolitario

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

Thanks evelyn, I'm quite happy with my current cleanser (Avene Cleanance). It feels quite gentle and does not irritate my skin, but I'm having trouble finding a toner and moisturiser.
About washing the face with water, doesn't it makes the skin produce more oil ? When I'm in school, I use facial tissues and dab it on oily spots. But instead of washing, it should be okay to use cleansing wipes to remove the sweat and impurities ? If I used water (cleansing wipes), should I use a moisturiser afterwards to prevent my skin from drying?
And about mask, I'm quite wary of using self-made remedies. I might mess up and make my condition worse, besides I don't know where to get the right ingredients...
Might try the Manuka honey / Aloe Vera gel, but can I know how much did it cost and where did you get them from ?
I know that it might be due to hormonal changes, but I'm just trying to control the 'extra' / additional breakouts that definitely does not come with the changes (I treated my skin harshly a few years ago). I have thought about visiting a dermatologist but it seems to cost a lot and I have no idea where to find a dermatologist.
Finding a (gentle but effective) toner and moisturiser until my acne goes away, with the limited amount of brands and when over the counter products does not seem to help at all. Where do you get your facial products? (Toner / Moisturiser)

Anyway, thank you for replying !

#9 evelyne

evelyne

evelyne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Water should be fine. At the very least, it would not strip your skin of oil as completely as a cleanser would. Water probably just helps to wash off some surface dirt and oil so I wouldn't wore too much if you use cleanser twice a day and then wash usin water right after school.

For me I don't like the idea of cleansing wipes as I don't like the feeling of leaving the residue on my face. Just personal preference though, cos I'm just afraid it may irritate my skin.

I don't think you need I apply a moisturiser after using water/wipes. I have relatively oily skin and I use a light moisturiser at night sometimes. You can probably apply after you use cleanser.

Self remedies are actually pretty effective for me at least. But your concerns are completely understandable. Which is why you should always test on a small portion of your skin first and use small amounts. Regular honey would do but from why I know, unprocessed honey is more effective. I got my Manuka honey from Unity but it's pretty steep priced. About 60 bucks for a large jar of MF 12 I think, can't remember. Mf indicates the strength if the honey but anythin higher than 16 or 20(you may to research a bit on this as i'm bit too sure) would be too strong on skin so i wouldn't go for those. Plus they're more expensive. I would suggest you try using a small jar of regular(preferably unprocessed) honey first. Aloe vera gel you can probably get from many places. I'm using jorubi 100% aloe vera gel but I think lily of the desert aloe vera gel's pretty good too.

For moisturiser and toner, I'm using the tea tree ones from the body shop. Nothing extraordinary or as gentle as you would probably like so any really help for that sorry. Perhaps you can approach the sales person to ask for advice?

And you're welcome! (:

#10 zhonsolitario

zhonsolitario

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:22 AM

I went to a chinese pharmacy and found the manuka honey, there's one which seems to be processed (20 bucks 500ml) and a 'purer' one for 70 (smaller bottle)...
If I do try the home remedy, I might be getting the Lily of the desert aloe vera, should I get the on with rosewater (pink bottle)?

For toner / moisturiser, I'm thinking of staying with over the counter products. I don't have much time, afraid that I will forget to 'mix' the remedies and worrying about the ratio will be too much / troublesome currently, it's my O'levels year.
I'm getting nodules* on my face, might be due to the dairy products I take in. I'll have to stay away from yoghurt and milk ... :(
Currently I'm not really bothered to get an all clear condition, just don't want to have too many breakouts everywhere and red marks / face. Just taking it step by step, now that I'm satisfied with my Avene toner, I'll be looking for a toner and moisturiser. But still troubled by the ingredient list, too much to keep track of... Do you think that 'normal' over the counter products found in unity / watsons / guardian are inferior to products costing 2 - 4x more ? This needs a debate, been around those stores and the sales representatives have been introducing much pricier brands (Avene, ROC and Satys) and almost became the sucker every time. (Avene works pretty good though, haven't tried ROC and Satys but they are PRICEY)