Photo

Why Does Sugar Break Me Out If I Don't Have Insulin Resistance?

low glycemic candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Refined sugar breaks me out too, and also gluten and alcohol. I am not sure whether I am insulin resistant but I am hopefully going to find out because I am having various tests. I wouldn't have put myself down as insulin resistant in the past because I am pretty light but I have been reading more about pcos in lean women and it is possible.

#22 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

I used to avoid sugar because I thought I was insulin resistant too, and I also believed that sugar was sugar.

One must define what low carb means too. Contrary to what most people believe, low carb is not removing all carbohydrates from your diet. Vegetables are not a good source of carbs because they are not calorie dense at all. Vegetables are only beneficial because of their nutrients. You don't get any benefits from the sugars in vegetables.

My own story is that when I was on a high protein, high fat diet where the only source of carbs was from eating large salads everyday, I became much more sensitive to eating sugary things. I thought that might be because I wasn't using BP anymore, but I was also becoming way more sensitive to things like synthetic fragrances. I started getting HORRIBLE foot cramps, and my body odor was getting worse. This started happening like a month or so into it, so it took a while. I attributed the foot cramps and body odor to being detox. -____-

My face was okay, just some slight inflammation and a few spots at the diet's peak. Way better than when I started, but my health was not great and eating wasn't satisfying anymore.

Foot cramps kept getting worse, body odor got worse (there was a point where I almost passed out because it smelled so awful for a few seconds) and I kept thinking I was expelling all the "toxins" so that I was on the path to recovery. I love alternative/holistic health approaches to things, but I think things like "detox" are so off the mark that it's borderline dangerous because you can attribute deteriorating health to being a good thing.

Anyway, fast forward to my breakthrough...

I ate a whole bunch of watermelon one day after being sick of the way I was eating. It tasted amazing. The sugar, the juices, everything tasted wonderful. I felt great after eating it. I broke out in red spots though, and maybe a few whiteheads. But I kept it up. After a few days, watermelon no longer broke me out, and I could eat many other fruits and not break out.

To this day, I can continue to eat fruits without breaking out. I can even drink multiple glasses of orange juice and avoid breakouts. It's great. I avoid juices with added sugar and no nutrients and sodas, though.

Context definitely matters. High fat diets with vegetables as my only source of carbs (which are all wrong, in my humble opinion) seem to make me hyper reactive to any other types of sugar. As you consistently eat more sugar, your body eventually learns to adapt, provided they are good sources of sugar. Insulin isn't the only thing that manages your blood sugar. Zinc, potassium, magnesium all help with that. Watermelons and sweet potatoes have other compounds that help manage your blood sugar, for example.

So, no more cramps, minimal body odor, not hyper reactive to foods/environment anymore (which is a huge plus), higher basal body temperature, and I can enjoy fruits and fruit juices as much as I want. I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

These days, I don't keep track of macronutrient ratios or anything, I kind of just eat as I see fit and I seem to doing alright. I've begun applying grapeseed oil on my face which definitely helps my skin, along with eating mostly healthy foods.

#23 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I used to avoid sugar because I thought I was insulin resistant too, and I also believed that sugar was sugar.

One must define what low carb means too. Contrary to what most people believe, low carb is not removing all carbohydrates from your diet. Vegetables are not a good source of carbs because they are not calorie dense at all. Vegetables are only beneficial because of their nutrients. You don't get any benefits from the sugars in vegetables.

My own story is that when I was on a high protein, high fat diet where the only source of carbs was from eating large salads everyday, I became much more sensitive to eating sugary things. I thought that might be because I wasn't using BP anymore, but I was also becoming way more sensitive to things like synthetic fragrances. I started getting HORRIBLE foot cramps, and my body odor was getting worse. This started happening like a month or so into it, so it took a while. I attributed the foot cramps and body odor to being detox. -____-

My face was okay, just some slight inflammation and a few spots at the diet's peak. Way better than when I started, but my health was not great and eating wasn't satisfying anymore.

Foot cramps kept getting worse, body odor got worse (there was a point where I almost passed out because it smelled so awful for a few seconds) and I kept thinking I was expelling all the "toxins" so that I was on the path to recovery. I love alternative/holistic health approaches to things, but I think things like "detox" are so off the mark that it's borderline dangerous because you can attribute deteriorating health to being a good thing.

I ate a whole bunch of watermelon one day after being sick of the way I was eating. It tasted amazing. The sugar, the juices, everything tasted wonderful. I felt great after eating it. I broke out in red spots though, and maybe a few whiteheads. But I kept it up. After a few days, watermelon no longer broke me out, and I could eat many other fruits and not break out.

To this day, I can continue to eat fruits without breaking out. I can even drink multiple glasses of orange juice and avoid breakouts. It's great. I avoid juices with added sugar and no nutrients and sodas, though.

Context definitely matters. High fat diets with vegetables as my only source of carbs (which are all wrong, in my humble opinion) seem to make me hyper reactive to any other types of sugar. As you consistently eat more sugar, your body eventually learns to adapt, provided they are good sources of sugar. Insulin isn't the only thing that manages your blood sugar. Zinc, potassium, magnesium all help with that. Watermelons and sweet potatoes have other compounds that help manage your blood sugar, for example.

So, no more cramps, minimal body odor, not hyper reactive to foods/environment anymore (which is a huge plus), higher basal body temperature, and I can enjoy fruits and fruit juices as much as I want. I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

These days, I don't keep track of macronutrient ratios or anything, I kind of just eat as I see fit and I seem to doing alright. I've begun applying grapeseed oil on my face which definitely helps my skin, along with eating mostly healthy foods.

glad to hear it, do you work out? I personally run about 5 miles every other day and lift between those days (I am a raw vegan and eat about 2000-3000 calories a day from fruit alone and a salad at night), I can tell the difference for certain before I ate raw vegan, I have no more mucus build up and my body regulates air much better while running. I also experience less body odor, from bo to breath.

#24 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

How long did it take for the fruit to stop breaking you out? I ate it for about two weeks, and I broke out the whole time and a few more days after I stopped eating fruit, so by two weeks my breakouts were not even beginning to stop.

#25 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

@omnivium

It only took a few days...

As weird as it sounds, worrying about what effect a certain food had on me tended to make me itchy after lots of meals. I thought I was sensitive to everything. I swear though, when I stopped worrying so much, it seems like I stopped getting itchy and even breaking out from a lot of foods. My advice would be to stop worrying about eating low GI fruits, and just eat fruits that sound tasty to you for a little while.

http://180degreeheal...ucose-clearance

This is an interesting post on the subject.

@bobbi

I've recently started to work out, but I need to up my calorie intake, which I'm currently doing.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 18 June 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#26 LZOMG

LZOMG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

it depends alot on the fruits fiber.
if it is low fiber like watermelon it has a high GI,
but a high fiber fruit like an apple will not increase your blood sugar level as much.

Fiber slows down the amount of blood sugar released by your stomache, it also gets converted into fatty acids which tell your liver to stop making glucose.

Studies have shown that people who incorporate soluable fiber in there diet have lower blood sugar.

I notice when I use to eat refined pasta my face would get extremely oily, and now that I have switched over to 100% whole grain pasta my skin is no longer oily and i rarely break out, and if i do its a little tiny whitehead that is only noticible to me.

Hope my post helped!

#27 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

Exactly! Sugar has been a part of the human diet for millions of years.. even before we were really humans. Of course too much can cause problems, but moderate carbohydrate intake in the context of otherwise balanced diet is no problem. From all the studies I've seen it's by far the most successful in reversing insulin resistance and triglyceride levels.

Sounds more or less like my experience with 80/10/10 low-far, raw food diet. I felt fine for about a year with that diet, but after that started getting progressively worse. Horrible joint pains to the point where I was hobbling around like an invalid. I was also tired constantly - even after 11 hours of sleep per day.

I was very much into the holistic/natural thing then and figured out it's a detox. "Dr." Graham not helpfully told I'm experiencing withdrawal symtoms from meat. It's only after 3 months of this than I started suspecting something's wrong. That's when I bought a blood glucose monitor and to my shock discovered that this low-fat diet had made me borderline diabetic. This even when I was running 45 to 60 minutes 4 times a week and burning more than a 1000 calories with each run.

With this more moderate approach all the problems have vanished and my skin has cleared much better.

All I can say is each to their own. And I'm sure this low-fat, raw food diet works for some people. But it's based on faulty evidence and logic and can be really dangerous for others.

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

Exactly! Sugar has been a part of the human diet for millions of years.. even before we were really humans. Of course too much can cause problems, but moderate carbohydrate intake in the context of otherwise balanced diet is no problem. From all the studies I've seen it's by far the most successful in reversing insulin resistance and triglyceride levels.

But not in anywhere near the amounts people consume today with all the added sugar that is consumed not as occasional treats but throughout the day, every day in sugary drinks, snacks and sweets.

#29 LZOMG

LZOMG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

But not in anywhere near the amounts people consume today with all the added sugar that is consumed not as occasional treats but throughout the day, every day in sugary drinks, snacks and sweets.

what about milk? Thats been around since the stone age.
how long has then been apart of human diet, yet one glass of milk can spike insulin levels up by 300%

#30 arqa22

arqa22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

how long has then been apart of human diet, yet one glass of milk can spike insulin levels up by 300%

milk=10k years, since agriculture

#31 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

thats debatable, people in the mountain regions have been drinking goats milk for a lot longer than 10k

#32 arqa22

arqa22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

thats debatable, people in the mountain regions have been drinking goats milk for a lot longer than 10k

roger that

#33 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sounds more or less like my experience with 80/10/10 low-far, raw food diet. I felt fine for about a year with that diet, but after that started getting progressively worse. Horrible joint pains to the point where I was hobbling around like an invalid. I was also tired constantly - even after 11 hours of sleep per day.

I was very much into the holistic/natural thing then and figured out it's a detox. "Dr." Graham not helpfully told I'm experiencing withdrawal symtoms from meat. It's only after 3 months of this than I started suspecting something's wrong. That's when I bought a blood glucose monitor and to my shock discovered that this low-fat diet had made me borderline diabetic. This even when I was running 45 to 60 minutes 4 times a week and burning more than a 1000 calories with each run.

With this more moderate approach all the problems have vanished and my skin has cleared much better.

All I can say is each to their own. And I'm sure this low-fat, raw food diet works for some people. But it's based on faulty evidence and logic and can be really dangerous for others.

Ugh, that sounds bad :/

That's the biggest thing I dislike about some people who advocate a natural approach. Any problems that anyone runs into on any diet is apparently detoxing or experiencing withdrawal. It makes you ignore important signs that your body needs help.

I find that my results on a more restrictive "safe" diet also leveled out at some point. Variety truly is the spice of life and my skin is better for it. Eating enough helps quite a bit, too.

I probably should've been more descriptive...but I'm referring to the outright fear of sugar to the point where someone won't even consume fruit. Yes, people consume waaaaaaay too much added sugar every day, on average, but in cases of acne, I do not believe the answer is to cut out sugar completely.

#34 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

That's the biggest thing I dislike about some people who advocate a natural approach. Any problems that anyone runs into on any diet is apparently detoxing or experiencing withdrawal. It makes you ignore important signs that your body needs help.

That's unfortunately true. Natural and alt-med people have some good ideas, but they have a bad tendency to simplify complex issues (such as human health) down to simple sound bytes.