Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Does Sugar Break Me Out If I Don't Have Insulin Resistance?

34 posts in this topic

I just ate fruit for about two weeks to see if I would break out, and I broke out the whole time with small whiteheads all over my face. But the thing is, I only ate low glycemic load fruit. And before that, I have been eating a very low glycemic load diet for like 4 months with no reduction in oil. So I don't think insulin resistance is causing my acne or oil. So why does fruit break me out? Could it be candida? Or my circadian cycle? Is there something wrong with my gut flora?

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day
  • Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day
  • Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

fruit sugar barely increases your blood sugar if at all....

Eh... where did you got that? Sugar is sugar and all sugar increases blood sugar levels. When I was on my crazy high-fruit raw food diet I sometimes hit almost diabetic blood sugar levels, even when I didn't eat that many fruits in a meal.

To the OP. What's your other diet like? Are you on paleo or low-carb or other high-fat diet? High-fat diets can cause insulin resistance, and that's why, I think, people on low-carb diets get problems when they eat carbs.

sounds like the normal stages of detox, fruit sugar barely increases your blood sugar if at all....

I don't think it's detox...before I added fruit to my diet I was at a consistent state of only a few inflammed pimples at a time. I didn't get the little whiteheads until I started eating fruit. What did you mean by detox? Like fruit makes my body remove toxins?

To the OP. What's your other diet like? Are you on paleo or low-carb or other high-fat diet? High-fat diets can cause insulin resistance, and that's why, I think, people on low-carb diets get problems when they eat carbs.

I limit sugar and avoid grains, which makes my diet low carb, so I had to go high fat for some calories. I don't know exactly what qualifies as paleo, but most of my diet consists of chicken, fish, peanut butter, nuts, beans, and vegetables. I've heard that fat can cause insulin resistance, but I heard it from that crazy banana guy on youtube, so I don't know if it's true. I tried a low fat diet for only a week, and during that week I had to eat a lot of carbs to maintain my weight. A lot of those carbs came from fruit, which broke me out. So on my low fat diet I had trouble getting enough calories, and I was breaking out worse than I do on a high fat diet. I know I only tried it for a week, but it just didn't feel right.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

Yeah, I would take what those loonies say with a huge heaping of salt. But in this case he's at least partially correct. I've seen a lot of studies on this, and they show somewhat conflicting results. But from all the studies I've seen I got the impression that fats do cause insulin resistance.

A few days back I even found a study that shows how it happens. Fats in the blood block the intake of glucose into the cells and also inhibit burning of sugar in the muscle cells.

/>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC507380/pdf/972859.pdf

We can argue whether this is real insulin resistance or not, and how long it persists after one stops eating high-fat diet. But what matters is that while you have a lot of fats in the blood glucose intake is inhibited, which means high blood sugar levels after eating carbs.

Of course the crazy banana guy completely misses the fact that eating a lot of carbohydrates also causes high blood fat levels, as carbs are converted into fats in the liver. But we can't really expect him to see anything beyond his dogma :)

So my guess is that your problem is the combination of high-fat diet and eating carbohydrates.

If you consume more sugar than you cells can take in, damage happens. And you keep secreting insulin to try to get the sugar out of your bloodstream. And this is how insulin resistance starts.

Also, many people have issues metabolizing fructose. This can be improved.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Eh... where did you got that? Sugar is sugar and all sugar increases blood sugar levels. When I was on my crazy high-fruit raw food diet I sometimes hit almost diabetic blood sugar levels, even when I didn't eat that many fruits in a meal.

the fiber in fruit slows the absorption of sugar into the blood...it barely increases insulin

sounds like the normal stages of detox, fruit sugar barely increases your blood sugar if at all....

I don't think it's detox...before I added fruit to my diet I was at a consistent state of only a few inflammed pimples at a time. I didn't get the little whiteheads until I started eating fruit. What did you mean by detox? Like fruit makes my body remove toxins?

the fruit wasn't detoxing your body per say, it was the lack of things you werent eating that started to move the lymphatic system, fruits aid in this however, especially watermelon. if you get rid of mucus you essentially destroy the chance of a lot of acne, it takes time though, and a really good diet to do so...check out 80-10-10 by dr. douglas graham if you are interested.

Oh dear lord... Let's start by saying that anecdotes are not proof. Sugar is sugar is sugar. It matters not where it comes from. Yes, it's true that fiber slows down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, but it doesn't mean sugar from fruits has no to little effect on bloodsugar or insulin levels.

I would suggest you check out glycemic index for fruits. Most fruits fall to the medium to high categories (more to the medium). So they do increase your blood sugar levels, as do all the other carbohydrate foods also.

How high your blood sugars go depends on the health of your glucose metabolism. If you have no problems then your sugar levels remain at normal levels (probably below 120). But if you have insulin resistance then they can spike to much higher levels.

Oh dear lord... Let's start by saying that anecdotes are not proof. Sugar is sugar is sugar. It matters not where it comes from. Yes, it's true that fiber slows down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, but it doesn't mean sugar from fruits has no to little effect on bloodsugar or insulin levels.

I would suggest you check out glycemic index for fruits. Most fruits fall to the medium to high categories (more to the medium). So they do increase your blood sugar levels, as do all the other carbohydrate foods also.

How high your blood sugars go depends on the health of your glucose metabolism. If you have no problems then your sugar levels remain at normal levels (probably below 120). But if you have insulin resistance then they can spike to much higher levels.

Thanks for your opinion, but we will part ways from here on the subject, good luck!

Yeah, I would take what those loonies say with a huge heaping of salt. But in this case he's at least partially correct. I've seen a lot of studies on this, and they show somewhat conflicting results. But from all the studies I've seen I got the impression that fats do cause insulin resistance.

A few days back I even found a study that shows how it happens. Fats in the blood block the intake of glucose into the cells and also inhibit burning of sugar in the muscle cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pdf/972859.pdf

We can argue whether this is real insulin resistance or not, and how long it persists after one stops eating high-fat diet. But what matters is that while you have a lot of fats in the blood glucose intake is inhibited, which means high blood sugar levels after eating carbs.

Of course the crazy banana guy completely misses the fact that eating a lot of carbohydrates also causes high blood fat levels, as carbs are converted into fats in the liver. But we can't really expect him to see anything beyond his dogma smile.png

So my guess is that your problem is the combination of high-fat diet and eating carbohydrates.

So you don't think it could be something else besides insulin resistance? And you think I should eat a low fat diet? How much fat should I eat?

If you consume more sugar than you cells can take in, damage happens. And you keep secreting insulin to try to get the sugar out of your bloodstream. And this is how insulin resistance starts.

How do I know if I have insulin resistance or a problem metabolizing fructose?

the fruit wasn't detoxing your body per say, it was the lack of things you werent eating that started to move the lymphatic system, fruits aid in this however, especially watermelon. if you get rid of mucus you essentially destroy the chance of a lot of acne, it takes time though, and a really good diet to do so...check out 80-10-10 by dr. douglas graham if you are interested.

Well my diet was already healthy before I added fruit and I wasn't breaking out like that until I added fruit. I think the sugar in fruit is what breaks me out, so I don't think I would do well by eating 80% carbs. And I thought I should mention that both people in the videos said they don't have blood sugar spikes because they eat low fat diets.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

Fructose has a negligible effect on blood sugar.

But fruit isn't just fructose, it's a complex of glucose and fructose.

And 80/10/10 is a bad idea and unnatural. NEVER follow fad diets like 30Bad/801010 because they're all based on shaky and often incorrect science.

the fiber in fruit slows the absorption of sugar into the blood...it barely increases insulin

The video of Durianrider you posted is disturbing. That guy honestly doesn't look healthy and his face is extremely gaunt. I have no doubt he eats a lot, but he still looks malnourished.

After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.

Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:

-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.

-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.

-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)

-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.

-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.

-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.

-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

Fructose has a negligible effect on blood sugar.

But fruit isn't just fructose, it's a complex of glucose and fructose.

And 80/10/10 is a bad idea and unnatural. NEVER follow fad diets like 30Bad/801010 because they're all based on shaky and often incorrect science.

The video of Durianrider you posted is disturbing. That guy honestly doesn't look healthy and his face is extremely gaunt. I have no doubt he eats a lot, but he still looks malnourished.

which is why his levels all check out and he wins races across the world?

the guy trains with lance armstrong for crying out loud

So you don't think it could be something else besides insulin resistance? And you think I should eat a low fat diet? How much fat should I eat?

No, I'm not saying anything about low-fat diets. I don't think they are any better than high-fat diets. They are all based on really shaky evidence. Eat a balanced diet. I think a good place to start with is 50/30/20 (carbs/fats/protein) with emphasis on complex carbs and monounsaturated fats.

You can measure your blood sugar levels after meals. It's not a perfect way, but it gives you an idea. A doctor can get you tested more extensively. To know for sure you should test blood glucose and insulin, but there are no home tests for insulin.

No, I'm not saying anything about low-fat diets. I don't think they are any better than high-fat diets. They are all based on really shaky evidence. Eat a balanced diet. I think a good place to start with is 50/30/20 (carbs/fats/protein) with emphasis on complex carbs and monounsaturated fats.

You can measure your blood sugar levels after meals. It's not a perfect way, but it gives you an idea. A doctor can get you tested more extensively. To know for sure you should test blood glucose and insulin, but there are no home tests for insulin.

Would that balanced diet eventually let me eat fruit without breaking out? My diet is already pretty balanced. It is about 50/35/15 (fat/protein/carbs). And after being on my diet for months, I still can't eat fruit without breaking out. Yea I guess I should get my blood sugar and insulin tested by a doctor to be sure.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

I can't say anything about you specifically, but studies generally show that such balanced diet with emphasis on low GI carbs and healthy fats improves insulin resistance.

it sucks how insanely healthy fruits are suppose to be but we're not even allowed to eat them because of the sugar. seriously annoys me. everything that tastes good is often bad, and fruit being the next best thing is still bad. I did some research on watermelon and was blown away with what was in it definitely seems incredibly healthy..go to eat it and feel guilty coz of the sugar. its annoying how the vitamins and minerals cant out weigh the sugar.

i dont think i break out from sugar personally, I try not to eat bananas but i like to eat berriers and apples and watermelon because i dont know what else to eat anymore and theres so much good in apples and berriers and watermelon i somehow think they do more good than bad. whats the opinion on consumption. like if i ate 2 apples a day maybe a banana, half a watermelon..is that too much? enough to spike insulin? or are we talking like 5 bananas, 10 apples type thing?

yep pretty sure i have no idea what to eat anymore :/..still ha.

surely fruit helps our body function better than not eating does.

i hate feeling bad for eating fruit. considering its natural.

also why is fruit different metabolize wise? i know there are ways to aid that like i think lifestyle sleep/exercise and not eating anything else in the same meal as fruit but what are some tips with that? :)

it sucks how insanely healthy fruits are suppose to be but we're not even allowed to eat them because of the sugar. seriously annoys me. everything that tastes good is often bad, and fruit being the next best thing is still bad. I did some research on watermelon and was blown away with what was in it definitely seems incredibly healthy..go to eat it and feel guilty coz of the sugar. its annoying how the vitamins and minerals cant out weigh the sugar.

i dont think i break out from sugar personally, I try not to eat bananas but i like to eat berriers and apples and watermelon because i dont know what else to eat anymore and theres so much good in apples and berriers and watermelon i somehow think they do more good than bad. whats the opinion on consumption. like if i ate 2 apples a day maybe a banana, half a watermelon..is that too much? enough to spike insulin? or are we talking like 5 bananas, 10 apples type thing?

also why is fruit different metabolize wise? i know there are ways to aid that like i think lifestyle sleep/exercise and not eating anything else in the same meal as fruit but what are some tips with that? smile.png

like i have sad before, fruit isnt bad, i gorge myself on fruit everyday, my colon is clean, my liver and kidneys function at top, and i no longer have mucus or acne, i am 100% clear. i usually eat around 3000 calories a day of just fruit, add a little greens in, hemp seeds for complete protein and coconut oil for some good fat.

I can't say anything about you specifically, but studies generally show that such balanced diet with emphasis on low GI carbs and healthy fats improves insulin resistance.

Is there any other reason fruit would break me out besides insulin resistance? I still don't really think I have insulin resistance...

also why is fruit different metabolize wise? i know there are ways to aid that like i think lifestyle sleep/exercise and not eating anything else in the same meal as fruit but what are some tips with that? smile.png

Yea I know. All I wanted to do was add some healthy carbs and energy into my diet and I get rewarded with pimples all over my face. If you want to know the glycemic impact of each food, you can look it up here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ Just search for a food and it will say everything about it, including its estimated glycemic load. It says 1 medium banana has a glycemic load of 10, so 2 bananas would have a glycemic load of 20, which is starting to get high.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

I thought you already told us you weren't insulin resistant?

And that you break out from fruit might be a clue that you have issues metabolizing it. It is processed differently from other sugars. They are not all the same.

Info on improving fructose metabolism: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/299249-improving-fructose-metabolism-for-those-that-break-out-from-fruit/

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

It's way too simplistic to say that fruit is bad to eat because of the sugar content. I know some low-carb authors and bloggers like to say that, but it's not true. Fruit has always been healthy food and remains to be so. It just depends on how your body handles carbohydrates, or fructose as alternativista mentioned.

Why not get a blood glucose monitor. You can get them for $20 from Amazon. Measure your blood glucose levels after eating fruit. If you get high readings then you probably have a problem with insulin resistance or glucose tolerance. Frankly, it doesn't matter whether you think you have insulin resistance or not. It matters what happens to your blood glucose levels after eating fruits (or other carbs for that matter).

Refined sugar breaks me out too, and also gluten and alcohol. I am not sure whether I am insulin resistant but I am hopefully going to find out because I am having various tests. I wouldn't have put myself down as insulin resistant in the past because I am pretty light but I have been reading more about pcos in lean women and it is possible.

I used to avoid sugar because I thought I was insulin resistant too, and I also believed that sugar was sugar.

One must define what low carb means too. Contrary to what most people believe, low carb is not removing all carbohydrates from your diet. Vegetables are not a good source of carbs because they are not calorie dense at all. Vegetables are only beneficial because of their nutrients. You don't get any benefits from the sugars in vegetables.

My own story is that when I was on a high protein, high fat diet where the only source of carbs was from eating large salads everyday, I became much more sensitive to eating sugary things. I thought that might be because I wasn't using BP anymore, but I was also becoming way more sensitive to things like synthetic fragrances. I started getting HORRIBLE foot cramps, and my body odor was getting worse. This started happening like a month or so into it, so it took a while. I attributed the foot cramps and body odor to being detox. -____-

My face was okay, just some slight inflammation and a few spots at the diet's peak. Way better than when I started, but my health was not great and eating wasn't satisfying anymore.

Foot cramps kept getting worse, body odor got worse (there was a point where I almost passed out because it smelled so awful for a few seconds) and I kept thinking I was expelling all the "toxins" so that I was on the path to recovery. I love alternative/holistic health approaches to things, but I think things like "detox" are so off the mark that it's borderline dangerous because you can attribute deteriorating health to being a good thing.

Anyway, fast forward to my breakthrough...

I ate a whole bunch of watermelon one day after being sick of the way I was eating. It tasted amazing. The sugar, the juices, everything tasted wonderful. I felt great after eating it. I broke out in red spots though, and maybe a few whiteheads. But I kept it up. After a few days, watermelon no longer broke me out, and I could eat many other fruits and not break out.

To this day, I can continue to eat fruits without breaking out. I can even drink multiple glasses of orange juice and avoid breakouts. It's great. I avoid juices with added sugar and no nutrients and sodas, though.

Context definitely matters. High fat diets with vegetables as my only source of carbs (which are all wrong, in my humble opinion) seem to make me hyper reactive to any other types of sugar. As you consistently eat more sugar, your body eventually learns to adapt, provided they are good sources of sugar. Insulin isn't the only thing that manages your blood sugar. Zinc, potassium, magnesium all help with that. Watermelons and sweet potatoes have other compounds that help manage your blood sugar, for example.

So, no more cramps, minimal body odor, not hyper reactive to foods/environment anymore (which is a huge plus), higher basal body temperature, and I can enjoy fruits and fruit juices as much as I want. I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

These days, I don't keep track of macronutrient ratios or anything, I kind of just eat as I see fit and I seem to doing alright. I've begun applying grapeseed oil on my face which definitely helps my skin, along with eating mostly healthy foods.

1 person likes this

Call me TV.

snapback.pngmoonbase, on , said:

To the OP. Dieting is silly. The only point of a diet should be to heal your body. Once that's done as long as you get the nutrients you need in you diet, you can eat whatever the hell you want. I think that's the big thing people are missing.

I used to avoid sugar because I thought I was insulin resistant too, and I also believed that sugar was sugar.

One must define what low carb means too. Contrary to what most people believe, low carb is not removing all carbohydrates from your diet. Vegetables are not a good source of carbs because they are not calorie dense at all. Vegetables are only beneficial because of their nutrients. You don't get any benefits from the sugars in vegetables.

My own story is that when I was on a high protein, high fat diet where the only source of carbs was from eating large salads everyday, I became much more sensitive to eating sugary things. I thought that might be because I wasn't using BP anymore, but I was also becoming way more sensitive to things like synthetic fragrances. I started getting HORRIBLE foot cramps, and my body odor was getting worse. This started happening like a month or so into it, so it took a while. I attributed the foot cramps and body odor to being detox. -____-

My face was okay, just some slight inflammation and a few spots at the diet's peak. Way better than when I started, but my health was not great and eating wasn't satisfying anymore.

Foot cramps kept getting worse, body odor got worse (there was a point where I almost passed out because it smelled so awful for a few seconds) and I kept thinking I was expelling all the "toxins" so that I was on the path to recovery. I love alternative/holistic health approaches to things, but I think things like "detox" are so off the mark that it's borderline dangerous because you can attribute deteriorating health to being a good thing.

I ate a whole bunch of watermelon one day after being sick of the way I was eating. It tasted amazing. The sugar, the juices, everything tasted wonderful. I felt great after eating it. I broke out in red spots though, and maybe a few whiteheads. But I kept it up. After a few days, watermelon no longer broke me out, and I could eat many other fruits and not break out.

To this day, I can continue to eat fruits without breaking out. I can even drink multiple glasses of orange juice and avoid breakouts. It's great. I avoid juices with added sugar and no nutrients and sodas, though.

Context definitely matters. High fat diets with vegetables as my only source of carbs (which are all wrong, in my humble opinion) seem to make me hyper reactive to any other types of sugar. As you consistently eat more sugar, your body eventually learns to adapt, provided they are good sources of sugar. Insulin isn't the only thing that manages your blood sugar. Zinc, potassium, magnesium all help with that. Watermelons and sweet potatoes have other compounds that help manage your blood sugar, for example.

So, no more cramps, minimal body odor, not hyper reactive to foods/environment anymore (which is a huge plus), higher basal body temperature, and I can enjoy fruits and fruit juices as much as I want. I'm not saying that my experience will be the same for everyone, but I do believe that the sugar phobia in acne forums and some paleo forums is definitely misguided.

These days, I don't keep track of macronutrient ratios or anything, I kind of just eat as I see fit and I seem to doing alright. I've begun applying grapeseed oil on my face which definitely helps my skin, along with eating mostly healthy foods.

glad to hear it, do you work out? I personally run about 5 miles every other day and lift between those days (I am a raw vegan and eat about 2000-3000 calories a day from fruit alone and a salad at night), I can tell the difference for certain before I ate raw vegan, I have no more mucus build up and my body regulates air much better while running. I also experience less body odor, from bo to breath.

How long did it take for the fruit to stop breaking you out? I ate it for about two weeks, and I broke out the whole time and a few more days after I stopped eating fruit, so by two weeks my breakouts were not even beginning to stop.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

@omnivium

It only took a few days...

As weird as it sounds, worrying about what effect a certain food had on me tended to make me itchy after lots of meals. I thought I was sensitive to everything. I swear though, when I stopped worrying so much, it seems like I stopped getting itchy and even breaking out from a lot of foods. My advice would be to stop worrying about eating low GI fruits, and just eat fruits that sound tasty to you for a little while.

/>http://180degreehealth.com/2012/06/glucose-clearance

This is an interesting post on the subject.

@bobbi

I've recently started to work out, but I need to up my calorie intake, which I'm currently doing.

Call me TV.

snapback.pngmoonbase, on , said:

To the OP. Dieting is silly. The only point of a diet should be to heal your body. Once that's done as long as you get the nutrients you need in you diet, you can eat whatever the hell you want. I think that's the big thing people are missing.