Photo

Odd Pattern Of B12 And Iron (Also.. Should I Believe This Method?)

magnesium zinc

3 replies to this topic

#1 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

hey guys. I've been thinking as hard as I can trying to pick out everything in my life 2010 that have happened that might have been involved with the outbust of hormonal acne that is my face. (20y/o)

I was going through some blood tests over the past 2 years and I noticed something, im not sure if its 'odd' but thought i'd mention to see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

around 2009 I had an issue with iron, I had for ages I took pills here and there but the iron never budged (keeping note back then I ate what my family ate so I still ate a lot of meat/eggs/fish/greens etc) I gave up on the iron pills mainly because I just couldnt be bothered taking them as they didnt work, the doc I went to once literally laughed in my face my iron was at 0, an actual 0.
I went back on the pills and ate a lot more and I think it raised a little but no where near it should have been. throughout 2010 it was the same, I think mid 2010 I changed birth control to levlen (definitely not meant for acne but my sister was on it and i liked it so much better, i think i was on diane before..keeping note I had NO idea what the pill did to bodies, the doc never told me all I was told was it was a contraceptive. But I had no issues changing whatsoever, no pill affected me hormonally like no major changes, weight, acne, periods nothing changed. anyway my acne came about later 2010 (oct/nov) it appaeared in less than 2 weeks and has never budged. but when i freaked out and went to the docs when it first appeared to go on diane ( I had packets left over so i must have been on it first then levlen then had to go back on diane for my new acne purpose) they also did a blood test and for the first time in years my iron levels were above normal. like almost excess. so were my white cells. keeping note they both was always so so incredibly low, and I wasnt even on the iron pills but it was incredibly iroinc and strange that as soon as I got the acne all of a sudden my white cell/iron issue resolved itself without my help.
Every since then my iron has been great.
Early this year I had a huge drop in b12. Went to the docs for a checkup and they got me to do 3 injections. But just a little history, looking back on my b12. In 2010 it was just as low as it was when they worried this year, but no one ever told me it was in the red nor did they make a fuss. 2011 it was in excess and in a matter of a month it dropped incredibly low. I was dumbfounded because when i picked up on that and told the doc she had prevously told me it can take up to 5 years for b12 to get that low...looked at me stupidly because in a matter of 3 years i was going from one extreme to the next (low high low). at the moment the injections helped and my b12 is perfect.

Is there anything here that sticks out to some people? to me, its almost like as soon as the acne appeared my body was also functioning right enough to keep the iron i was giving it. but I wasnt doing anything different.
is there a bodily connection with acne and the production of iron/b12?
I doubt it was my switch of birth control because i would have seen symptoms around the 3rd month not the 6th thats too late. but yeah.. anyone have an opinion on what could be going on in my body or why those weird extremes could have happened? but definitely i remember sitting in the docs room just looking stunned with noting my new issue of hormonal acne but my iron all of a sudden being in excess after years of basically 0.

in addition, I saw a natruopath this year, kinda waste of money big time he didnt even consider diet just drowned me in herbs.
but the point was he had a look at my eyes and said I was very low in magnesium (but I don't belive he could tell that by looking at my iris). he also made me taste some liquid and asked me if I could taste anything, I said no and he said that meant I was very very low in zinc.
I had a hard time believing both these 'tests' because I went to the docs and got a blood test and the test had me in the normal range for both (I also supplmented both but nothing seemed to have an obvious affect).
are those tests he did more accurate than a blood test? how can he tell me im extremely low in zinc...when a blood test tells me Im more than okay with zinc?

thanks for your help :)

#2 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

almost everyone is deficient in bacteria b12 (it's not really a vitamin), including meat eaters, simple put EVERYONE should be supplementing b12 no matter if you eat meat or you are a raw vegan. Zinc has been pinned to acne since the 70s. If you are deficient in zinc it is a possible link...supplement it. He can tell you this because their are different standards for zinc in different countries, and the US standard is probably a lot lower than the standards elsewhere. like in Japan I think its like 550 minimum, whereas in the US its like 200 or something.

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

in addition, I saw a natruopath this year, kinda waste of money big time he didnt even consider diet just drowned me in herbs.
but the point was he had a look at my eyes and said I was very low in magnesium (but I don't belive he could tell that by looking at my iris). he also made me taste some liquid and asked me if I could taste anything, I said no and he said that meant I was very very low in zinc.
I had a hard time believing both these 'tests' because I went to the docs and got a blood test and the test had me in the normal range for both (I also supplmented both but nothing seemed to have an obvious affect).
are those tests he did more accurate than a blood test? how can he tell me im extremely low in zinc...when a blood test tells me Im more than okay with zinc?

thanks for your help Posted Image

What our medical establishment thinks is a normal range is often very far from optimal. Unless you are eating very well, you probably are deficient in magnesium and zinc.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

thanks for your help Posted Image

What our medical establishment thinks is a normal range is often very far from optimal. Unless you are eating very well, you probably are deficient in magnesium and zinc.

im from australia, i dont know what they consider normal. but i guess its weird how the blood test says im normal and the other tests (are they reliable or fake?) say otherwise..considering we base so much off blood tests :/

almost everyone is deficient in bacteria b12 (it's not really a vitamin), including meat eaters, simple put EVERYONE should be supplementing b12 no matter if you eat meat or you are a raw vegan. Zinc has been pinned to acne since the 70s. If you are deficient in zinc it is a possible link...supplement it. He can tell you this because their are different standards for zinc in different countries, and the US standard is probably a lot lower than the standards elsewhere. like in Japan I think its like 550 minimum, whereas in the US its like 200 or something.

i've been supplmenting zinc and mag for over 2 years but stopped becuase they produced no noticable affect and was costing too much.
also does anyone have any light on the iron part to this? is that not very odd that my iron was 0 for basically years and all of a sudden above normal without supplmenting or changing diet..but when my acne appeared?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users