Photo

Photos Of My Scars - What Would You Do To Fix These?

ice pick rolling scars fraxel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
249 replies to this topic

#221 secondchance

secondchance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

I think your skin is coming along really well!! The redness is good- it means the body is providing a good blood supply to the skin and healing is going on- I definitely wouldn't do another laser!

I agree totally with the other posters who have suggested Retin-a. A bad outbreak of acne left me with many small icepick scars and some shallow depressions. I thought I would have to live with the damage- but after 6 months of Retin-a my skin healed and the scarring became all but invisible. They say you have to give Retin-a six months to work- it was nearly six months for me. The improvements were gradual over the months- but my skin suddenly looked close to normal again after about 5 1/2 months- it almost happened overnight.

Please, please- refuse the laser but ask your derm for some Retin-a!  Now would be the time to use it- before your body finishes the healing process. Some of us don't heal properly for some reason which is why we get left with scarring while others get away scar free after acne- I believe Retin-a makes us unlucky ones heal correctly- it is good.

Edited by secondchance, 13 March 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#222 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

I've really enjoyed following your thread, readytosmileagain. As someone who can relate to what it's like to have acne scarring, I must say that your skin is coming along so beautifully!

All the best.

#223 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Well its alreasy pretty much established that you are a total hottie. I really think no matter what you do you will be ok. I feel your pain. But on the bright side, you WILL improve from this point on. Theyre is still a great possibility that you will end up bieng happy with this last laser procedure. You just have to give it more time, I know thats frustrating becuase we live in a bs world that wont even let you stop and smell the roses. I think you are a very strong person. BUT, I think true emotional healing will come when you realize hey, for real. I really dont have a "problem". These things just happen in life, and before you had your laser procedure you made the best possible judgment call given your position.

#224 panos

panos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

I dont understand why people are afraid of the redness... I am realising how fool i was when after some flat discolaration removal i was seeing

redness for 1 month but then i had the bad habit to pick the area with a tweezer.

Redness is the way that means regeneration...

In your case+,in lugol's experiment regeneration begins from bottom with sign of redness+ in my self subcision experiment...

I would just let the damn thing do its own job.

#225 trendycat

trendycat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Honestly the way you described it made it seem so much worse. From your latest pics, what I see is just a little hyperpigmentation that will fade with time, just be sure to keep it moisturized. I would also stay away from lasers with the same doc. She doesn't seem to have explained the consequences of the first laser effectively, and she could be making the same mistake again now.

Edited by trendycat, 14 March 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#226 luvskincare13

luvskincare13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

My recommendation would be to try to repair your skin barrier. You probably still have a lot of inflammation going on in your skin right now. Some of the best soothing cream I have ever used that has a lot of great ingredients to do this is from Cervae. I love their products. You can get them at any drugstore. I would use their cleanser and heavy cream and also their pm lotion. Never breaks me out and my skin feels wonderful and it helps build the skin barrier after being stripped from cosmetic procedures/acid treatments. I would also stay away from any acids for the time being until your skin has fully healed which can take months.

Secondly you want to make sure you are using a very good sunscreen. The best one I have ever used is by a company called Burnout. Most of the drugstore sunscreens IMO are not so great at protecting the skin. But Burnout has to be ordered online.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and do remember that your skin will heal in time. Just make sure to baby it:)

#227 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

any update? i am wondering how your skin is looking now. i bet you are looking really good readytosmileagain

#228 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

okay so here is a photo , hopefully showing you all, what i mean when I say, I think the laser burned my skin...

Im hoping, someone on here, had the same type of healing process that you are seeing here on the photo on the right... as you can tell, in the left hand photo, a photo i took during the subscision healing process, I do not have specific marking in my skin, just indents here and there and the bruising from the subscision... in the photo on the right, in multiple places (where the laser hit) I have red, bubbly looking like, raised in some places and deep in others, damaged skin.... Which was not like that prior....

Someone please tell me that this will go away with more time???

Attached Thumbnails

• comparison.jpg

Edited by readytosmileagain, 11 April 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#229 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

hey glad that you posted pics. so the redness in that pic is that how red your skin is now? i am almost thinking at this point for your own piece of mind that maybe you should go see another derm to see if there is anything they can give you to help the healing of your skin. they can assess whether its a burn and give you a good cream if that is what you have going on. also maybe think about going to see a plastic surgeon that does co2 to get their take on it. they might have something to aid in your healing like ultrasound or something else to help you out. its definitely worth a shot. 

Edited by tracy521, 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#230 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yes I agree with Tracy. I think you will get a lot of peace of mind if you get a second opinion. It would be good to go back to the derm who did this too to demand answers. But I would definitely not solely rely on her opinion since she will most likely tell you it's fine. I bet another derm will give you really good advice and treatment.

#231 schmoond

schmoond

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Have you seen Gregs latest update? He said he still had redmarks up to two months post op when his doctor recommended the v-beam laser. He said it took away the redness and he's really satisfied with the results! http://www.acne.org/...-journey/page-6. So that might help you to! But I would probably also just get a check up with another derm just to see if they're on the same page as your doctor. If they are, you don't have anything to worry about (:

#232 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks guys...

#233 NUBY3

NUBY3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

have you thought about dermarolling?  I have had excellent results from it.  It isn't rapid.  It may take a year or two, but over the last 5 or 6 months it saved my face's life.  I had a pit that developed under my eye about the size of the eye black on a football player, and slowly but surely, it's puffing back out.  Diet is crucial.  Fresh fruits and veggies MUST be eaten.  As much as possible.  I use copper peptides and a neutragena anti aging deep wrinkle serum with retinol sa in it post roll, and take lots of vitamin C, as well as hyaluronic acid and msm orally.  I use a 1mm roller on my entire face and spot treat with a 1.5mm stamp every 3 weeks or so, and do my entire face with a .5mm roller 2-3 times a week just to get more topicals in there and keep the surface remodeling.  Sometimes I do the 1mm roller without the stamp in between and spread the stamp to 4 weeks apart.  I am a man though, so I can roll more frequently.  The point is, dermaroller really works.  especially for rolling scars, and you can do it yourself.  and I haven't had anything go wrong with it what-so-ever.  Ice picks haven't really responded to it at all, but boxcars have also improved, although more slowly than the rolling ones.

#234 panos

panos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

No derma rolling now.Really thats a no no.

If there is redness you should wait to be subsided firstly.

#235 NUBY3

NUBY3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

oh, no I meant for the scars in general.  I hadn't even read about the redness.  please excuse me

#236 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

How is it going? I still think of you every so often and hope that things have improved for you! Please keep us updated. Take care. :)

#237 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Im sorry I havent updated but I hate always being a debbie downer so I hesitate to add info when all I have to say is negative :( But here we go...

Im having a hard day today - well year it sometimes feels like.... 

I am really struggling with this... I honestly feel like the laser did more damage than good but i cant seem to see it in photos, i just feel it when i actually look at my self in the mirror. 

Yesterday, I went to dinner with my sister and I decided to finally wear my contacts again. Some of you know that ive been not wearing them at all because they allow me to see my skin the way I cant honestly stand to see it (I guess in some ways its a blessing that I have bad eye sight) So instead i wear my glasses to drive, do work etc but as soon as I enter a room with a mirror I take them off... Im sure this is something I need to tell a therapist someday because its completely crazy that I go through out the world doing this... and more importantly, i go through out my day being able to see clearly to not being able to see clearly and dont hesitate because if I were to wear my contacts, i could catch my reflection in a window of my car, or a unexpected mirror at the mall or whatever and I would immediately be depressed. 

So my experience last night was just yet another one that made me feel horrible about my appearance which then turns into immediate insecurity and then i shut down and want to cry. I looked in the bathroom mirror with my contacts in at the restaurant... to many it may just seem that im setting my self up for disappointment before I even look into the mirror because I know that I have my contacts in and I already know that im not going to like what I see but Im telling you, i feel like everytime i look, my skin looks worse and worse...

So to update you all - im still sad that I decided to do the laser - may 2 will mark my 4th month post so maybe im still healing or the collagen is still growing or whatever, but I dont know it will change these marks on my skin from the laser. My next appointment with the derm who did the procedure is right before memorial day. Ill let you all know what she says :) 

One day at a time right - Lots of love to you all 

#238 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for updating. Don't worry about being a downer, we are all in this together. It helps to express how we feel sometimes and have people know what we are going through and be supportive. You're not crazy about the contacts thing. Sometimes when I go to the bathroom I don't look in the mirror at all or just keep the light off. Sometimes I come back out and wash my hands in the kitchen so I don't have to risk looking in the mirror. Then I think consciously about what I'm doing and thing wow I am nuts, but it just shows how bad I'm feeling. Have you opened up to your husband/sister/family/friends about how you're feeling? What do they say? How is the redness? I'm glad you have a follow up appointment to discuss your concerns. Don't give up hope - I was just reading about someone who had dermabrasiona and up until 6 months they thought they had made a mistake and then they were happy. I believe your skin will get better than it is now. Keep us posted. Thinking of you!

#239 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I know what you mean about mirrors. I don't like to look too closely either when I'm  out. I actually talked to my cousin about this and she says she won't look at her face in the mirrors at work because of the bad lighting and she has issues with how she looks that isn't really skin related. So we all have our insecurities. Thanks for the update though, hopefully in time you can be happy with the procedure. I have been thinking of selphyl or prp to help with my skin. I am just too scared of co2 laser at this point. Maybe selphyl or prp would help you to heal as well. Also, make sure and avoid the sun this summer.

#240 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the update! I really hope your skin improves. Once the redness (finally) fades, you'll probably feel much better and your skin will look much better. 

I always thought it was a very wise idea that you avoided mirrors and took off your glasses near them. I know I can get myself upset by looking in mirrors too much, at worst spending hours going through my home with a mirror to find out how my scarring looks in different lighting. It's really no use at all, since looking at my skin isn't going to change anything, and I would just waste my time worrying over something I have no control over. I'm planning on trying to avoid mirrors for a while as well.