This topic is archived.
8 replies to this topic

#1 frustrated247

frustrated247

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

So I've had this big pimple on my cheek since Friday. I guess I'd consider it a cyst since it has never come to a head, but its also never had any pain and hasn't felt like a typical cyst. The size of it has not gone down though in 3 days despite everything I've thrown at it. And all I've seem to have done is make the skin around it red and irritated. Last night I decided to not put anything on it and this morning a layer of skin peeled off the top of it. I know this is not a wise move, but it came off very easily (almost on its own) and sometimes after doing this I'm left with a flat, smooth mark I can better manage. However, its still not flat and is still just as red as ever. Its also interesting the skin would peel off a pimple like that which was never popped. Typically that never happens to me

Any advice on how to treat a pimple that never comes to a head (so you will never be able to pop it), has no pain, but just seems to linger in size and redness? I just want to find the best way to treat it so that I can bring down the size quick and alleviate the redness and irritation around it now

Over the past few days I have tried ice, heat, BP, Tea Tree Oil and today I put polysporin on it after it peeled (I know, I know I have tried too much but I was getting desperate and acknowledge I have most likely made it worse). Which is why I am now seeking some advice on what I should stick with going forward in the hopes this goes down over the next few days. I can work with a flat red mark, but I cannot deal with a red, irritated bump. Should I just stick with the polysporin? It seems like the most gentle option at this stage, but since its never popped (and never will at this point) I'm not sure how much this would help

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

i usually get impatient and stab it with a needle lol. prolly not the best advice. i would just leave it alone til it comes to a head. in my experience, i stab it with a needle and lightly squeeze. sometimes stuff comes out... sometimes it's just clear stuff. then i put clean and clear popped pimple cream on it overnight. and by morning it's got a raging head that can be popped easily.
other times though, i will get a strange bump and i just put some neutrogena skin clearing makeup on it for a few days and it goes away. i know you're a guy so maybe you could do this at night time?
another thing you could try is queen helene mint julep mask. i've used this in the past as a spot treatment. sometimes that's good at bringing it to a head or at least shrinking it.

hope that helps!

#3 anthonylall

anthonylall

Very Knowledgeable

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

So I've had this big pimple on my cheek since Friday. I guess I'd consider it a cyst since it has never come to a head, but its also never had any pain and hasn't felt like a typical cyst. The size of it has not gone down though in 3 days despite everything I've thrown at it. And all I've seem to have done is make the skin around it red and irritated. Last night I decided to not put anything on it and this morning a layer of skin peeled off the top of it. I know this is not a wise move, but it came off very easily (almost on its own) and sometimes after doing this I'm left with a flat, smooth mark I can better manage. However, its still not flat and is still just as red as ever. Its also interesting the skin would peel off a pimple like that which was never popped. Typically that never happens to me

Any advice on how to treat a pimple that never comes to a head (so you will never be able to pop it), has no pain, but just seems to linger in size and redness? I just want to find the best way to treat it so that I can bring down the size quick and alleviate the redness and irritation around it now

Over the past few days I have tried ice, heat, BP, Tea Tree Oil and today I put polysporin on it after it peeled (I know, I know I have tried too much but I was getting desperate and acknowledge I have most likely made it worse). Which is why I am now seeking some advice on what I should stick with going forward in the hopes this goes down over the next few days. I can work with a flat red mark, but I cannot deal with a red, irritated bump. Should I just stick with the polysporin? It seems like the most gentle option at this stage, but since its never popped (and never will at this point) I'm not sure how much this would help

Any help would be greatly appreciated

this might sound a bit weird but i have advised this to people before for things of a similar. the this is the fact that it's a bump means there is puss beneath the skin and if it won't to a head then you mostly will have to get to it. now don't be alarmed by this it actually works and is not damaging if done right. what you can do is is sterilize a needle and use it to make an incision in the centre of the cyst-like pimple (gently and you will just know when it get pass the skin to where the puss is) after that use clean cotton swabs to squeeze the puss out making sure to get averything. when u are finished clean the area and apply a tea tree oil mixture help with the healing and keeping the area free from bacteria. this should give you great reasult

#4 frustrated247

frustrated247

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

thanks! From experience I'm nearly 100% confident this will never come to a head. Usually you can tell by the way it looks or feels if thats gonna happen and since its been over 3 days and still nothing, I don't think it will happen. I definitely don't wanna go sticking it with a needle. That just sounds like I'd be asking for a bigger mess right? I've tried the mint julep thing before too but I'm afraid that at this stage it might just dry it out to the point of being very irritated

ok, thats now 2 replies telling me to stick a needle in this! really? that just sounds so harsh. i don't know if I wanna go and do that. part of me feels that if i just keep polysporin on it for a few days it will go down and become less red. that feels safer than sticking with a needle. now i'm tempted...

#5 anthonylall

anthonylall

Very Knowledgeable

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

thanks! From experience I'm nearly 100% confident this will never come to a head. Usually you can tell by the way it looks or feels if thats gonna happen and since its been over 3 days and still nothing, I don't think it will happen. I definitely don't wanna go sticking it with a needle. That just sounds like I'd be asking for a bigger mess right? I've tried the mint julep thing before too but I'm afraid that at this stage it might just dry it out to the point of being very irritated

ok, thats now 2 replies telling me to stick a needle in this! really? that just sounds so harsh. i don't know if I wanna go and do that. part of me feels that if i just keep polysporin on it for a few days it will go down and become less red. that feels safer than sticking with a needle. now i'm tempted...

correct by looking at it u can just tell if it will ever come to a head, but don't be afraid of the needle thing, it's very safe when done right, just follow what i said in my post above and you cant go wrong. a lot of people tend to just grab a needle and stick it and then start squeezing it agrassively with their fingers, follow the steps that i outlined and u can't go wrong and make sure the tea tree oil that u apply is diluted with distilled water

#6 frustrated247

frustrated247

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

so just to also add to this, the bump is not "huge", and I guess you could say it has gone down slightly since saturday. However its large enough that its noticeable and unable to hide with concealer. My other thought on why there is still a bump is that I also tried popping it on saturday. I gave it a few good squeezes after holding a hot compress on it in the hopes it would pop but nothing happened. So my thought is maybe my failed popping attempt is part of the reasoning it has a slight bump still. Could that be true? That would be another reason not to try sticking a needle in it and risking a scar.

#7 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yes, that could be true. You have probably just spread the infection by trying to pop it, it's why it takes longer to heal now. I wouldn't use a needle, unless it has a visible head. Keep it moisturized, and put medication on it (BP, TTO, Neosporin, Polysporin). It should come to a head, eventually, or the antibiotics make it go away. I hope it's gone soon!

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#8 ramblinrose

ramblinrose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

um, is there another option besides sticking my face with a needle? "if done right" does not make me feel like this is a safe option for most people.

#9 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

The only way I got those to come to a head (I would have under the skin bumps that would flare up and disappear, flare up and disappear, over and over again for YEARS...) was Retin-A. That stuff has pushed my deepest cysts to heads eventually. Does take months though. I also am on spiro to block the hormones creating new cysts.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products