oily skin

161 replies to this topic

#121 Skinoholist

Skinoholist

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

I have had oily and dehydrated skin, because of harsh treatment, alcohol in toners and not right mosituriser.

After 12 years of trying different products, I can say that most important is foam based cleanser, mild neroli (orange blossom) hydrolat which acts as astringent but does not dehydrate and - not doing an ad here, but very light allergen free moituriser and the only that really seriously didn't cause me outbreaks but hydrated my skin....Clinique Moisture Surge. Read my regimen here..*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

#122 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

For the OCM is it ok to use it with castor oil?  I might have to try and forget about where emu oil comes from as there are many gd reviews on it :/ 

Use a good quality, properly bottled, fresh safflower oil. It's nearly 80% linoleic acid, a major component of normal sebum that protects skin. Acne and other problem prone skin has been found to be deficient in linoleic acid. A couple of gene/enzyme mutations have been identified as causes. I use Napa Valley Organics from whole foods. $8 for 750ml 25oz. With the cooking oils. Stay out of the cosmetics/ cleanser aisles. Put a small amount for daily use in a small dark bottle and store the rest in the refrigerator
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#123 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have a niacinamide spray serum from Iron Power, an Australian company. Does anyone use this?

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#124 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have not got a spray, but i have got a Serum which i got from ebay that has 5% Niacinamide. I think serums are better than sprays for the reason of getting more active onto the skin than with sprays which can be trickier to get on evenly. However both methods will work.

About the hyaluronic acid tablets. Well, what can i say. A member on the forums has had what we are suffering from and she achieved a significant different in skin hydration after taking for 2 months that is hyaluronic acid and collagen 2 tablets. I suggest anyone who is interested by looking at EDS forums member Skindeep77 posts. It's a good insight for those who have had little success treating their skin and want to try internal methods.

Make of it what you will.

Edited by xninja, 17 July 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#125 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:God, the Bible, family, friends, art, design, film, music, education, books, my cell phone :D, beauty information, exercise, walking, love :)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

because a scientist who studied skin said it on his website and in his skin care forums (dr. pickart of skin biology) i don't know how true his products work but i do believe what he has to say about some things. hyaluronic acid did nothing to help my dehydrated skin. nor did glycerin...or any other humectants. they seemed to just make my skin worse. 

using niacinamide + n acetyl glucosamine have been the only actives that have truly helped my skin heal itself. not just slap a temporary fix. you can read dr. pickart's opinions about topical hyaluronic acid at his website skinbiology and at his skinbiology forums...just do a search for the terms in google. if you want to keep using it, that's fine, but i'm not using something that a) didn't work for me anyway and b) could possibly do damage to my skin.

God bless :)

#126 MissT22

MissT22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm still using the niacinamide but I am not seeing any difference in my skin :(

#127 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have a 12% niacinamide spray serum....how come the % is so much higher than what most of you are using? I ordered it through amazon (Iron Power) and it's called NiaSerum. Has anyone heard of this? Will 12% be too strong for my skin? I have been using it for a few days on and off so it's too soon to tell if it's having an impact.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#128 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:God, the Bible, family, friends, art, design, film, music, education, books, my cell phone :D, beauty information, exercise, walking, love :)

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'm still using the niacinamide but I am not seeing any difference in my skin sad.png

you havent been using it that long and are you using glucosamine as well? give it time

I have a 12% niacinamide spray serum....how come the % is so much higher than what most of you are using? I ordered it through amazon (Iron Power) and it's called NiaSerum. Has anyone heard of this? Will 12% be too strong for my skin? I have been using it for a few days on and off so it's too soon to tell if it's having an impact.

that's because i found  out how to make mines through searching through forums and looking at diy serums. i don't trust other formulations. i don't know why theirs is so high. you can't trust every skin care product company. their website even looks shady. i checked out the ingredients of that stuff and it don't seem so bad...just niacinamide, glycerin and water...but i don't like glycerin lol.. that's me, then again. do what you think is best for your skin. it's easy just to make your own. 

#129 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just wondering how everyone is getting on? I wonder if rarejr has had any success. I've had to restart everything because i was not getting anywhere with oils and creams. I think i understand what Cubed means when you should only use the toner to get results. 2 months can't come any quicker ^.^ I've put distilled water, Niacinamide powder (make sure it's cosmetic grade, otherwise it might not work), N-Acetyl glucosamine and a preservative called germaben, which is very good in water at 0.3-1%. 5% niacinamide and 2% NAG is what i went for in the end. I also spray on the face and rub in around, making sure it covers evenly.  I will update in october and give some feedback.

Edited by xninja, 09 August 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#130 MissT22

MissT22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi I havent had any luck with the niacinamide spray :/  yh I wonder how rarejr is getting on.  He seems to have dissapeared

#131 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm back with another possible healer for our skin. It's called turmeric powder! I have read reviews of how good it is for skin and also, I have read some studies about the curcumin in turmeric and how it helps heal wounds, and how it protects rat skin from uvb radiation! It could possibly work for helping the skin heal. I have used it and I really enjoy the results so far but it takes time to know for sure. Give it a try. Some warnings, it can stain stuff, wear gloves, be gentle when applying, make sure u use an oil when applying the mask so that ur face doesn't look stained yellow. Don't scrub hard if ur face looks stained also...be gentle in removing the yellow with oil and wet paper towel. Or for me, I'm trying some put in a bottle, with distilled water and spraying it on my face and the yellow doesn't stain my face but I
am dark brown so it doesn't show up much even if I look at myself in natural light.

I hope this helps guys. I'm not trying to add confusion, just thought you might wanna try the niacinamide toner and turmeric together to intensify results.

I truly care for your success!! I'm liking how my skin looks. Hope u guys get to ur desired skin health. Any questions? Just ask

Other good news about turmeric is that you can find it anywhere and its cheap. Try going to a store like sprouts where u can get as much or as little as you want for trial testing.

#132 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Turmeric powder. I've heard of that before, but used in a mask for acne lesions. I'm sticking with the Niacinamide and NAG toner until i have repaired what damage i have done. I have a couple of questions:

1. Washing. Is it OK to wash once a day at night with a few spashes before putting on the toner solution? I would use cleansers but i feel that they might be stripping the skin and thwarting progress.

2. If you don't mind be asking, Cubed, but what did your skin look like when you initially caused the damage? I'm just asking because i want to see if i can make parallels with my own damage to see if there are any similarities.

Thanks.

Edited by xninja, 11 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#133 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Turmeric powder. I've heard of that before, but used in a mask for acne lesions. I'm sticking with the Niacinamide and NAG toner until i have repaired what damage i have done. I have a couple of questions:

1. Washing. Is it OK to wash once a day at night with a few spashes before putting on the toner solution? I would use cleansers but i feel that they might be stripping the skin and thwarting progress.

2. If you don't mind be asking, Cubed, but what did your skin look like when you initially caused the damage? I'm just asking because i want to see if i can make parallels with my own damage to see if there are any similarities.

Thanks.

Hey you never know, trying a little turmeric in the beginning may just accelerate progress! I wish I had tried it in the beginning of my process. oh well.

1. washing is tricky! i never really washed my face...unless it got really dirty or something or i was in a really dirty environment (and when i washed it, i always used oil cleansing but without the steam...just massaging oil on and gently wiping off). anyway, splashing with water shouldn't hurt. make sure it's distilled...and don't rub too hard with a towel or paper or cloth. just be as gentle as possible...and maybe do it every other day! ?

i only have experience not washing at all...because i was paranoid.

2. my skin before: very, very dull. no shine, no brightness, no glow whatsoever. oily, though. looked paper thin. in the beginning i broke out like crazy until i realized what the heck i was doing, removing my skin lipids and acid mantle. i would push my nose up and i saw crepey skin. my cheeks when i did a kissy face would have the same crepey texture. the crepey texture is still slightly there but way better than before. but i just remember really dull, sickly looking kind of skin. with a crepey texture. and before i broke out. i developed some fine lines on my forehead...and almost on the bridge of my nose right between my eyes...but i was able to prevent that from getting really bad. 

Edited by Cubed, 12 August 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#134 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thanks.

Hey you never know, trying a little turmeric in the beginning may just accelerate progress! I wish I had tried it in the beginning of my process. oh well.

1. washing is tricky! i never really washed my face...unless it got really dirty or something or i was in a really dirty environment (and when i washed it, i always used oil cleansing but without the steam...just massaging oil on and gently wiping off). anyway, splashing with water shouldn't hurt. make sure it's distilled...and don't rub too hard with a towel or paper or cloth. just be as gentle as possible...and maybe do it every other day! ?

2. my skin before: very, very dull. no shine, no brightness, no glow whatsoever. oily, though. looked paper thin. in the beginning i broke out like crazy until i realized what the heck i was doing, removing my skin lipids and acid mantle. i would push my nose up and i saw crepey skin. my cheeks when i did a kissy face would have the same crepey texture. the crepey texture is still slightly there but way better than before. but i just remember really dull, sickly looking kind of skin. with a crepey texture. and before i broke out. i developed some fine lines on my forehead...and almost on the bridge of my nose right between my eyes...but i was able to prevent that from getting really bad. 

Thanks for the reply

I think i have to agree now with not washing. I am going to use the Nia-nag toner twice a day without washing and see how i get on. This is similar to a caveman regimen, but letting the vitamin actives in the toner to do its work.

Yeah, i totally get really dull skin. It doesnt have any glow nor does it look even in texture/colour. truly the definition of moistureless . I also find it does somewhat look thin like you mention. So i am right to believe that you refrained from washing for 2 months whilst using the toner before you noticed it started to look better?

#135 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply

I think i have to agree now with not washing. I am going to use the Nia-nag toner twice a day without washing and see how i get on. This is similar to a caveman regimen, but letting the vitamin actives in the toner to do its work.

Yeah, i totally get really dull skin. It doesnt have any glow nor does it look even in texture/colour. truly the definition of moistureless . I also find it does somewhat look thin like you mention. So i am right to believe that you refrained from washing for 2 months whilst using the toner before you noticed it started to look better?

yes...i didn't wash while using the toner day and night. but be careful to be as hygienic as possible. keep hands clean. don't touch your face. because you don't want to get an infection. not washing your face is bad enough...but leaving the skin alone helps.

#136 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just one last question  (You're probably starting to get annoyed at me now lol)

Is it OK to blot the oil off your skin during the day? Since i have stopped washing my face, it can get slightly oily during the day. It isnt massive amounts, but it just looks worse if i leave it. I'm just asking because i don't want to hurt my process. BTW i do it lightly.. i don't scrub.

#137 AncoraImparo

AncoraImparo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hey Cubed,
I've been suffering from skin dehydration for about a year now. I would like to try this. Could you post where you got your products from? I want to get the right things for this to prevent further damage. Could you also post the directions for making this? Would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

#138 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Just one last question  (You're probably starting to get annoyed at me now lol)

Is it OK to blot the oil off your skin during the day? Since i have stopped washing my face, it can get slightly oily during the day. It isnt massive amounts, but it just looks worse if i leave it. I'm just asking because i don't want to hurt my process. BTW i do it lightly.. i don't scrub.

yeah that's fine! i have to do the same sometimes...no biggie

Hey Cubed,
I've been suffering from skin dehydration for about a year now. I would like to try this. Could you post where you got your products from? I want to get the right things for this to prevent further damage. Could you also post the directions for making this? Would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

i mean, you could look through the thread. it gets a bit tedious typing the same things over and over. 

i got my products from various sources: garden of wisdom, skin actives, lotion crafters...garden of wisdom has good products.

put 1 teaspoon of niacinamide, 2 teaspoons of n acetyl glucosamine in a 3 oz of distilled water. shake. use once in morning once at night. 

avoid using abrasive, soapy ingredients on the face. be gentle.

if u need a moisturizer use emu oil.

a great mask u can do every other day is turmeric because it has been tested to help with skin aging and protecting skin from the sun (in mice)

it's better than not using sunscreen

be careful, it stains...so use only at night...if u need to add yogurt, emu oil, or flour to prevent staining or help staining come off

those are all my steps...

be as hygienic as possible to avoid skin rashes and the like.

hope this was specific enough

if u have an oily skin problem consider avoiding all dairy products from milk to cheese to yogurt...internally

Edited by Cubed, 20 August 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#139 xninja

xninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

It's been 3 weeks today. Still looks the same, although my face feels really taut and the surface feels thirsty biggrin.png. Skin still looks thin and gets dull very quickly after waking up. I still sometimes wake up and it looks good only for it to go bad :S . Surprisingly, i've had very little oil and no peeling or skin shedding that is visible. Strange. I've had acne forming on my chin and around my mouth. Nothing major though. Bring on the next few weeks.

Edited by xninja, 02 September 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#140 Cubed

Cubed

Fantastic Bore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

It's been 3 weeks today. Still looks the same, although my face feels really taut and the surface feels thirsty biggrin.png. Skin still looks thin and gets dull very quickly after waking up. I still sometimes wake up and it looks good only for it to go bad :S . Surprisingly, i've had very little oil and no peeling or skin shedding that is visible. Strange. I've had acne forming on my chin and around my mouth. Nothing major though. Bring on the next few weeks.

keep up the good fight. you can do it. also, dont forget to give turmeric a try. keep us updated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users