Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid Or Tea Tree Oil

56 posts in this topic

i used tea tree oil and it burned my face. i used the soap and that is gentle enough for my face. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF TEA TREE OIL BURNS? any help would be so great. thank you. I'm using manaka honey and aloe 99% with no luck yet. be careful. using tea tree oil to spot treat is the worst thing i have ever done.

My experience:

Benzoyl peroxide: Gets into the skin and does its thing amazingly well. 2.5% works better than 5% or 10% because it is less irritating but still creates plenty of oxygen to kill the bacteria. Used precisely within The Regimen it predictably clears up the skin completely within 3-4 months.

Salicylic acid: Doesn't seem to do anything at 2% strength, which is the legal limit in OTC products. I tried upwards of 15 salicylic acid products since I was a teenager and I would say they are a waste of money.

Tea tree oil: I have tried tea tree oil in many different strengths, and in several "natural" acne products. In my personal experience, it does nothing. While I love the idea of a "natural" acne remedy, tea tree oil most definitely wasn't it for me.

The clear winner: Benzoyl peroxide. It's not even a contest honestly. Benzoyl peroxide works, and the other two do not.

After close to a decade with the regimen, I'm now trying Tea Tree Oil. I was so tired of the dry flakiness which couldn't be fixed by any moisturizer I tried. I was tired of ruining shirts by bleaching them, likewise with my girlfriend's pillow cases. I was tired of not being able to go for a swim in a pool without exiting looking like I had a dry flaky beard. While BP was effective sometimes, I would still get large pimples sometimes, no matter how careful I was being. I would never be clear for more than a week. Plus, towards the end, with BP, my pimples were leaving red marks on my skin. Add to the fact, the reigmen takes 20-30 mins every morning and night, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Even if I get a few pimples with tea tree oil, to not have all the excess bs that accompanies the BP reigmen is worth it, in my opinion.

1 person likes this

I used BP for 15 years (I'm 35) before recently switching to a combo of tea tree oil and SA. I did get more acne initially but my skin seems to be calming down now. The biggest benifits from TTO/SA vs BP I've noticed are,

1) Any pimples that have developed while on TTO/SA seem to heal/go away faster then when on BP

2) The red marks left from pimples I've developed while NOT on BP have faded significatly faster than the red marks I got from pimples while on BP. I have been using TTO/SA for about 6 weeks now and I have red marks that have been on my face for months from zits I got while on BP. I also have places where a zit formed while on TTO/SA that have no red marks because the red mark didn't get so dark and faded faster.

3) The condition of my overall skin is MUCH better than while I used BP. It's less dry and more even textured and not as ruddy?reddish? in places. I can go out with only a bit of concealor over my spots, or a light tinted foundation, vs a full foundation and concealor to even out my skin tone.

4) No more bleached clothing/sheets/towles!!

Over all so far I've been very pleased with a TTO/SA regime than using BP. I wish I would have tried it a lot sooner!

1 person likes this

Regimen

Cleanse with - Neutrogena - deep clean wipes

Exfoliate /Tone with - ACV/Lemon Juice 1/1part mix

Treat with - Tea Tree Oil and 2% SA lotion

Moisturise with - Dan's AHA lotion w/1-2 drops jojoba oil added

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Tea tree oil is Great! Work really well and fast for my acne. The most important rule though is to DILUTE! Mix in a spay bottle about 5 drops of TTO & fill the rest with water. Before every use just shake the bottle & spray on your face. I swear by this routine. IT WORKS!

In my opinion, Salicylic Acid works much more better than Benzoyl and Tea Tree. Try Salicylic Acid first.