Photo

Mild/moderate Acne 18Yr/f

mild moderate acne accutane isotretinoin claravis teenager journal confidence 18 year old female

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 aznpnkplumeriagrl12

aznpnkplumeriagrl12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

I have just started my isotretinoin treatment with 40mg of Claravis. I am a 107 lb asian female, and scheduled for 5 months (or less).
To start off, I have had mild to moderate acne since 8th grade. Although my acne is mild/moderate, and I know some may judge or think that I am vain for going on isotretinoin in the first place, it did bother me-my confidence isn't what I'd like it to be, so I didn't see as much of a harm in trying to eliminate acne or at least most of it.

I've tried pretty much everything-
-Acne.org regimen (worked a charm the first two cycles but this was only a "temporary" relief because my acne would come back if i stopped. it also proved to be quite expensive, as there is no insurance coverage and often dried my skin out. it really did clear up my skin and made it soft, but at a certain point stopped working because my acne is just hormonal)
-So i went on BCP (loryna)-didn't notice too much of a difference at all actually, other than having "regular" breakouts (and not random). they do make periods even lighter and reduce cramps tremendously however, so that may serve a better purpose
-Doxycycline Hyclate (worked quite nice as well, but didn't want to develop a dependency on this antibiotic. a very inexpensive "short-term" solution, especially when using the month before going on isotretinoin)
-Duac (very harsh and itchy in the beginning, but worked great as well-results similar to acne.org regimen)
-ProActiv (very irritating to my skin, too expensive, and overly hyped by celebrities...it dried out my skin which caused overproduction of sebum. although it got rid of small comedones on my forehead, it inflamed the pores in my cheeks and broke out)
-Clindamycin - didn't notice a difference and was itchy and irritating.
-bactrim: i was allergic and the sulfametoxazol caused hives in my thighs! however, i feel as though it worked wonders for my skin because i had a couple large papules and they were dried up within 2-3 days.
-prednisone (great for very short-term "emergency" prevention for acne-used for prom and graduation)
-Differin cream (the first time I had a terrible experience because it was incredibly itchy but i stuck through an entire cycle/bottle of it and found that over time, i no longer had smaller comedones and blackheads. i still had monthly papule breakouts [these leave major hyperpigmentation] i tried differin again but only as spot treatment. this usually softens the pimple so it can drain faster/without scarring)
-Adapalene gel (same as differin results, but less oily. seemed less harsh as well)
-Atralin gel (this works soooo well. although very very drying, seems to work the best besides the Regimen)
Keep in mind that i have tried all products (either alone or combined) for at least 2 months each.
-Spironolactone: this really is a diuretic so as stupid as this sounds, they're not kidding when your doctor/derm tells you to hydrate. this, along with the loryna keeps my skin the clearest it's been (as long as its not near my TOM)

WEEK ONE
Sorry, not much happened or changed this first week so I didn't want to post everyday just to say the same things. I noticed a bit of peeling around my mouth, but wasn't sure if this was due to the isotretinoin or the atralin because it happens quite often. As of now, I use clean & clear dual action moisturizer and occasionally apply small amounts of atralin. wish me luck and i'm sorry this is a such a lengthy post-i just hope to help someone out there!!

Edited by aznpnkplumeriagrl12, 31 May 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#2 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I also have mild/moderate acne. My skin isn't terrible, but Retin-A Micro stopped working and nothing keeps it clear anymore. I actually felt a little weird posting photos here simply because my skin is nothing compared to the severe acne some people have. So, it sounds like you and I are in a similar situation. But don't worry... We won't judge you for going on Accutane. You want clear skin. That's why we're all here! And hopefully Accutane will clear up your skin and keep it clear!

Anyway. I wish you the best of luck on your course! I can't wait to read about your progress!

#3 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Good luck with your treatment. And wanting to take this treatment isn't a case of vanity. You've tried a lot different types of treatments. The only time it might be seen as vain, would be if you had mild acne, and you had never used used any of the treatments you mentioned in your post. Everyone is like you on here, interms of trying everything, so you shouldn't have to bother about anyone say anything negative here. Again I'd just like to wish you the best of luck, and may your skin clear quickly for you.

#4 aznpnkplumeriagrl12

aznpnkplumeriagrl12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Aww thank you redhead rachel and jamie o. I can always count one most of the people at acne.org to be supportive and sweet :)
Anyway, regarding my isotretinoin process; sorry i haven't been posting often, it's just that nothing really has changed significantly yet. But here are some details, in case some may be interested:

day 8: the deadly chapped lips.... although they aren't too bad, they do feel much dryer than day 6 or 7.
day 9-12: skin is starting to flake, especially around my jawline. also, i have two "cuts" on the sides of my mouth
(all up to this point, i have been using either the acne.org moisturizer or a japanese water-based liquid lotion)
day 13 on: i actually didn't want to accentuate my dryness for my graduation (lots of photos!) so i stopped taking my claravis for 3 days. this seemed to work great; although my lips were still dry, my skin seemed a nice matte but not overly dry.
14th pill: although i've stopped taking my pills for a couple days, i am almost completely clear!! maybe two remnants of papules under my jaw, and a few comedones on my temple & hairline. my skin is quite nice (besides the post hyper pigmentation)
however, my lips are annoyingly dry but it's alright. soooo worth it.

also, if you are looking for a good moisturizer, i found that vanicream for dry, sensitive skin works really well!!
It's formulated by psisco, and recommended by pharmacists, as it is the "base" used in many lotions but without the unnecessary ingredients. Without isotretinoin, i found this cream to be a bit greasy for my liking, but now this leaves my skin so soft and moist. i don't like applying a huge amount, so i usually use a pea size, more or less depending on the condition of my skin. when my skin becomes "dull" i add the tiniest amount of the AHA with the cream and that seems to brighten my face without over drying. hope this helps a little :)

#5 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Glad your almost clear and good luck with your graduation

#6 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Sounds like your course is going great so far! I hope things stay clear! :D

#7 aznpnkplumeriagrl12

aznpnkplumeriagrl12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

pill 15:
So at this point, my inside of my nose is incredibly dry and feels crusty when i scrunch my nose or sneeze. Therefore, it's actually pretty annoyingly painful. Not to be a total wuss or anything, but the nose is quite sensitive. Also, when i blow my nose, there is blood. yes, blood. but i guess this is just part of the process and should be worth it. I haven't yet found anything that "remedies" this so i'll just stick it out. my skin is looking ever clearer in just a matter of days. again, i can't stress how much vanicream has been helping so go check that out!

#8 aznpnkplumeriagrl12

aznpnkplumeriagrl12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

wow i'm terrible at logging things, sorry!!

pill 16-20: acne is very much under control now. however, my dry nose and lips problem is pretty severe; i've been trying to combat with constant lip balm and i have nothing for my nose. if anyone has any suggestions or remedies, please let us know!!

pill 21: i actually decided to go to a party and drank quite a lot. maybe it's because i haven't done so in a while or something, but my tolerance was much lower (even on a full stomach) and it felt more hungover....not a wise decision period, but especially on isotretinoin, might have been too much on my liver...

pill 22: i also slept with makeup on that night (gross, i know...) but it doesn't seem that my face breaks out as it usually does if i don't wash my face very carefully. however, my entire face is flaking!! dehydration, not proper moisturization... just a bad combination.

pill 23: okay, so my face did start breaking out, but they're very small pimples and soft. i couldn't resist, so i gently popped them after the shower! I know i'm not supposed to, but when i checked the next day, it didn't seem like they were enough to scar or leave too bad of hyper pigmentation. many people experienced that on isotretinoin, your skin is more prone to scars and slower healing, but for me, it didn't seem to significant.

pill 24: so..i live in hawaii, and since it's summertime, going to the beach is a definite must. i know this might sound dumb, but being asian, i don't worry too much about applying sunscreen because my skin tans very easily and rarely burn. However, because i know i am taking an intense medication, i applied sunscreen and thought i was "safe". However, i did end up burning a little...this isn't the worst part though-the "burn" went away in a day or so, but my entire body starting peeling like crazy! i attempted to moisturize with vanicream, but it is only a temporary remedy. i found that scrubbing very gently and applying jojoba oil sloughed off enough dead skin to make my skin extra smooth though. also, when shaving, i use pond's cleansing cream (i hate it for my face) and that makes my legs even softer, which lasts for days

#9 SupernatualFanatic

SupernatualFanatic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hey! Good luck with your course, it seems like it's going great for you :)

The inside of my nose is killer too, it's actually probably the worst side effect i'm experiencing.. besides my back pain.
I'm not sure what to do for my nose, my derm said to put some vaseline inside but then how the hell am I supposed to breath? hahah.

Anywho, I'm one who always tans and never burns, even if I were in the sun for 8 hours, so I took this as who cares about sunscreen? I was in the sun for an hour with my friend and was a lobster when I got home. I'm still peeling and that was like.. a week ago. Thankfully I did put sunscreen on my cheeks, but my forehead and chin were beet red. My face has calmed down, but my body is extremely pissed off at me..

I also have mild/moderate acne, where nothing has worked for me >:( About 4 months ago though, I suddenly broke out in a bunch of red bumps all over my cheeks and forehead, there was no head or anything so I didn't know how to get rid of them. Those are all gone now thanks to Accutane :) but my derm actually said it was a reaction to Doxy which I had been on, grrr antibiotics. I'm on day 61 and getting clear everyday, except I do have one persistant pustule on my right cheek that is just chillin. Since it's the only one I have, it stands out like crazzzy. Grr.

I'm rambling! Anywho! Welcome! And update us more :)!