Photo

Would You Join A Dating Website For People With Acne Scars/acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 TheGoodSon

TheGoodSon

Hey let's be friends.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

I agree with those of you who think it's a bad idea! 

Personally, as a member of such site I would feel like a "last resort" to the guys there. They couldn't get "normal" girls to like them, so they got on this site to find me as their second option. "You're so pretty" they'll say, "but not too pretty, because you've got acne; it means you have lower self-esteem and will go out with me" they'll think to themselves. Thanks, but no thanks.  

Let's say that such site really exist - two young people suffering from severe acne finds each other, falls in love, fights the battles together and supports each other with everything they can. Then one of them find a successful treatment and clears up totally . That's all, acne gone, all the depression and suffering melts away. The guy/girl is finally happy and confident, as he/she always wanted. And what happens to the miserable one, who still has severe acne and can't get in under control? The misery will beat him/her down. They will no longer understand each other. Will the clear one finally go out to the world and find an acne-free partner? If he was searched for someone to match their condition before (while still having acne) why wouldn't he now? He doesn't seem to like the challenge to face someone different than him (that we know from the fact that he didn't try to overcome his insecurities and look for a partner without categorizing people according to their skin conditions). Who's gonna be left broken-hearted (and probably permanently emotionally scarred)? The one who still fights the severe acne!    
What a great idea for a site... 

I disagree lol. This is almost like saying, "we shouldn't have invented the internet or youtube because some people are going to abuse them by tricking people out of money or posting inappropriate/controversial videos."  -- This kind of thinking totally negates the amount of "good" that has come from them. Look at how much information has been shared across THIS acne community site.

I think most of us come here for info, solutions, make connections, & it serves as an great emotional dump. You think I'm wrong? -- Go to the 'Forums' home page and look at the Emotional and psychological effects of acne section. It has about 100,000 more posts than any other forum section.

I probably would. My scars are the first and foremost thing on my mind at all times so to be able to not worry about being judged by that would be nice.

^ This.  Starting to think people are reading too much into this.  It's a common interests & peace of mind thing. Let's say, for example, I live in the country. That being said I'd probably want to date a girl that is also from the country. Why? - because we'd share common interests.  Dating a girl from the city probably wouldn't last long as she probably doesn't like mudding or raising chickens/pigs & milking cows. There are always exceptions to any rule but still.

#62 nicmic62

nicmic62

Sneaker Fanatic

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

This just seems like a bad idea.

#63 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

I don't know.  In a weird, putting the acne factor out there may allow me to be less uptight and focus on getting to know someone (so douche bags need not apply so....) rather on what they think of my skin.  It would be like, 'so, we have acne, who gives a shit, what's for dessert?'  All i'm saying is when social pressures are off regarding looks, people may be more open about themselves without all the bells and whistles.

#64 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

No because I don't believe in that. Going to a site like that with the idea in your mind that you hope to meet someone to have a relationship with... It's just not natural. It doesn't work that way, in my opinion. It only results in some forced relationship which is doomed to end badly.

Plus any woman who rejects me because of my imperfect skin is probably a case of *drum roll* good riddance. *cymbal crash*

There are also websites where you can only sign up if you have had higher education or if you are extremely attractive or have a lot of money. It's terrible. I understand a website for people with imperfect skin is something else but it's still excluding people and that's just never good.

This. I was going to make a similar post, but wouldn't have put it as well.

People are people, I don't think acne is a good enough reason to have a whole sub-division of a dating site. If somebody found me to be unattractive simply because I had acne, then I wouldn't want anything to do with them in the first place. I also wouldn't want to limit my criteria to just people with acne...I'm sure there are many people out there that don't careless if I have acne or not.  

#65 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

I agree with those of you who think it's a bad idea! 

Personally, as a member of such site I would feel like a "last resort" to the guys there. They couldn't get "normal" girls to like them, so they got on this site to find me as their second option. "You're so pretty" they'll say, "but not too pretty, because you've got acne; it means you have lower self-esteem and will go out with me" they'll think to themselves. Thanks, but no thanks.  

Let's say that such site really exist - two young people suffering from severe acne finds each other, falls in love, fights the battles together and supports each other with everything they can. Then one of them find a successful treatment and clears up totally . That's all, acne gone, all the depression and suffering melts away. The guy/girl is finally happy and confident, as he/she always wanted. And what happens to the miserable one, who still has severe acne and can't get in under control? The misery will beat him/her down. They will no longer understand each other. Will the clear one finally go out to the world and find an acne-free partner? If he was searched for someone to match their condition before (while still having acne) why wouldn't he now? He doesn't seem to like the challenge to face someone different than him (that we know from the fact that he didn't try to overcome his insecurities and look for a partner without categorizing people according to their skin conditions). Who's gonna be left broken-hearted (and probably permanently emotionally scarred)? The one who still fights the severe acne!    
What a great idea for a site... 

I disagree lol. This is almost like saying, "we shouldn't have invented the internet or youtube because some people are going to abuse them by tricking people out of money or posting inappropriate/controversial videos."  -- This kind of thinking totally negates the amount of "good" that has come from them. Look at how much information has been shared across THIS acne community site.

I think most of us come here for info, solutions, make connections, & it serves as an great emotional dump. You think I'm wrong? -- Go to the 'Forums' home page and look at the Emotional and psychological effects of acne section. It has about 100,000 more posts than any other forum section.

Well, and I still think that acne dating site a bad idea, lol :D Didn't say anything about the internet and don't think that is relevant. 

#66 TheGoodSon

TheGoodSon

Hey let's be friends.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Well, and I still think that acne dating site a bad idea, lol biggrin.png Didn't say anything about the internet and don't think that is relevant. 

lol. In any case, I'm glad we are all humble about this discussion and not flaming each other to death.  hifive.gif

#67 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

^ This.  Starting to think people are reading too much into this.  It's a common interests & peace of mind thing. Let's say, for example, I live in the country. That being said I'd probably want to date a girl that is also from the country. Why? - because we'd share common interests.  Dating a girl from the city probably wouldn't last long as she probably doesn't like mudding or raising chickens/pigs & milking cows. There are always exceptions to any rule but still.

That's just it though. Why would you want to identify acne as an interest? Are you planning on having acne forever? Don't you want to get rid of it? Identifying it as a part of you is keeping it a part of you--or at least helping to do so.

As far as not being judged (responding to the other posts now).... The reason some of you guys are saying you'd want the acne dating site (to not be judged) is the exact reason why I think one shouldn't exist. It is a mistake to be of the mentality that the only way you are safe from judgment is to be with another acne sufferer. I've never dated another person with acne and I've never been judged. And another person with acne isn't necessarily going to be any nicer or any less judgmental than some asshole with clear skin. If anything, they may have more of a focus on acne and pay more attention to your skin whereas a nice, clear skinned person probably wouldn't even notice your breakouts.

#68 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Never in a million years.

#69 TheGoodSon

TheGoodSon

Hey let's be friends.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

That's just it though. Why would you want to identify acne as an interest? Are you planning on having acne forever? Don't you want to get rid of it? Identifying it as a part of you is keeping it a part of you--or at least helping to do so.

As far as not being judged (responding to the other posts now).... The reason some of you guys are saying you'd want the acne dating site (to not be judged) is the exact reason why I think one shouldn't exist. It is a mistake to be of the mentality that the only way you are safe from judgment is to be with another acne sufferer. I've never dated another person with acne and I've never been judged. And another person with acne isn't necessarily going to be any nicer or any less judgmental than some asshole with clear skin. If anything, they may have more of a focus on acne and pay more attention to your skin whereas a nice, clear skinned person probably wouldn't even notice your breakouts.

Hmm... I see your reasoning. I like this post.