doxycycline epiduo prescription dermatologist

4 replies to this topic

#1 cerulean

cerulean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on these boards has had experience with Doxycycline and/or Epiduo. I just got a prescription from my dermatologist and was wondering how well it worked, what to expect, etc.

I have technically severe acne, but not on the extreme end of severe. I usually have 1-2 cysts at a time and a good amount of pimples, especially on my chin. I think they're mostly hormonal. Also, I have moderate pimples and whiteheads on my upper back.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by cerulean, 30 May 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#2 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hi, I had a pretty bad breakout earlier this year (around October/November) and was prescribed Monodox (doxycycline) and Epiduo by my derm in January. I had moderate acne, not cystic but a good amount of pimples and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks/forehead.

My experience with this medication has honestly been wonderful. It took some time to work - I'd say about a month before I started seeing visible improvement. After about two and a half months was when I saw significant improvement - all my pimples were gone and I wasn't getting any new ones. Now my skin has been acne free ever since. I got two pimples last month, but they went away quickly. My hyperpigmentation is also fading at a good pace too, probably because of the Epiduo.

Basically my advice is:
-Don't ever skip your medication! You'll pay for it with a pimple later.
-Only use a pea sized amount of Epiduo for the whole face; any more than that will cause your face to be extra dry
-Expect dryness within the first month or so. Find a good moisturizer (I used CeraVe AM for day and CeraVe PM for night; worked very well)
-ALWAYS use SPF if you're gonna go out during the day, this medication makes your skin more sensitive
-Exfoliate in the shower and then moisturize immediately afterward; I found this really helped my skin be less flaky and dry
-Don't give up if you don't see much results in the first month, it takes time!
-Take doxy with a full glass of water or with food. I, personally, have to take it with food or else I'll feel nauseous.

Good luck! I hope this combination works well for you like it did for me.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

#3 fedupwithspots

fedupwithspots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

I've had moderate acne, mainly cystic, on and off for the last 40 years. It's become much worse over recent years and I've been taking minocycline which has worked really well. For the last week I've been using doxycycline instead and and my skin has been terrible. The acne has gone from being well controlled to totally out of control. I'm hoping to get some more minocycline tomorrow, but the point I want to make is that not all antibiotics are the same and not every antibiotic works for everyone. For me doxycycline is useless, but I know other people have benefited from it. It's just a matter of finding what's right for you.

#4 sandra23

sandra23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hi, I had a pretty bad breakout earlier this year (around October/November) and was prescribed Monodox (doxycycline) and Epiduo by my derm in January. I had moderate acne, not cystic but a good amount of pimples and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks/forehead.

My experience with this medication has honestly been wonderful. It took some time to work - I'd say about a month before I started seeing visible improvement. After about two and a half months was when I saw significant improvement - all my pimples were gone and I wasn't getting any new ones. Now my skin has been acne free ever since. I got two pimples last month, but they went away quickly. My hyperpigmentation is also fading at a good pace too, probably because of the Epiduo.

Basically my advice is:
-Only use a pea sized amount of Epiduo for the whole face; any more than that will cause your face to be extra dry
-Expect dryness within the first month or so. Find a good moisturizer (I used CeraVe AM for day and CeraVe PM for night; worked very well)
-ALWAYS use SPF if you're gonna go out during the day, this medication makes your skin more sensitive
-Exfoliate in the shower and then moisturize immediately afterward; I found this really helped my skin be less flaky and dry
-Take doxy with a full glass of water or with food. I, personally, have to take it with food or else I'll feel nauseous.

Did you break out bad before you cleared up? ive been on epiduo for a mth and half and my face is soooo bad. I have huge zits ones i never had before and all over..i heard it takes awhile to work but a part of me just wants to stop using it. My face broke out really bad then got lil better and not is like horrible..could epiduo be bring out all the impurities? Also my doc just put me on doxy yesterday so maybe it will help with the epiduo..i need some hope :(

#5 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Basically my advice is:

Did you break out bad before you cleared up? ive been on epiduo for a mth and half and my face is soooo bad. I have huge zits ones i never had before and all over..i heard it takes awhile to work but a part of me just wants to stop using it. My face broke out really bad then got lil better and not is like horrible..could epiduo be bring out all the impurities? Also my doc just put me on doxy yesterday so maybe it will help with the epiduo..i need some hope Posted Image

Yes, I broke out before I cleared up. I got new pimples for about a month until my face started to clear up. It usually takes 4 - 6 weeks for the medication to start working. Doxy will probably help you a lot too. I think doxy is the main thing that keeps my face clearer...since starting Doxy, I don't get big pimples anymore, if I ever get any they're tiny whiteheads.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users