Photo

Mom Of Teen With Acne Needs Advice

teen mom whiteheads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 MJRI94

MJRI94

Dat acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

He is SO stressed by school and I wish he would take to something like yoga to help calm down. It definitely aggravates his acne.

A good idea, I'm not sure how appealing yoga would be to him but there are other areas you can ask him about like doing sport, playing a musical instrument and the like if he does not already do some of these things already. Stress is a big factor - I feel completely fried from college work at the moment and my skin looks more monstrous than usual because of it

#22 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

He needs to be the one who wants to help clear his acne....
Maybe it doesnt worry him, it seems to worry the mother more LOL.
Maybe he will just grow out of it.

#23 caitlyn2011

caitlyn2011

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

They make pimple extractors I picked mine up at walmart one end is for blackheads and other end is for pimples.My son is like yours he runs around with big nasty whiteheads on his face he wont pop his either but i figure i dont want him to start because of scars.His face has been looking better i gave him the acne free set im pretty sure he only uses the face wash in the shower if he even does that boys just arent into the whole face care thing.Thats why I never took my son to the derm cuz usually they always try topicals first and antiobotics which he would never keep up with either I could make him take a pill but i have trouble making him do his face routine an I just figure its his face and it seems to bother me more than him so I just leave him alone about it now.I make sure he has his acne kit and thats it.

#24 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Hello! I have a 14 year old son who has been dealing with acne since 6th grade. It is getting worse as the years go on, and I am fearful that it will get really bad one day. My dad had it on his face and back was was scarred for life both physically and emotionally, my brother and I had it in our teens and 20s with scars that show it.

Anyway, there have been a few times when my son has asked for help with his acne so we've been to several dermatologists but nothing really worked. Now I think he has given up and denies he has a problem. He won't even wash his face. My dilemma is that he gets these big whiteheads and goes off to school with them. It kills me to know that he could get rid of those so easliy but he won't. He is afraid of needles so the needle method won't work even if I could get him interested.

So, my question to you is should I insist that he deal with these whiteheads or back off? If I can get him interested, is there a method that doesn't involve using a needle? Thanks.

My advice. Just leave him be.

Let him find his own path. If he wants help he will seek it. If he comes to you, recommend he check this website out.

The one thing you must do is the hardest thing for a parent to do. In this case you must do nothing and let him seek his own help.

#25 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

Good advice!

#26 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

He's 14. He is old enough to be able to maintain a regiment. You are doing your part by paying for derm appts and products, but at the same time he needs to do his part. Go to the derm, explain what he has used, and start a new product and stay on it for 3 months. He needs a cleanser, exfoliant, toner, moisturizer, and sun screen. Sounds like his diet isn't an issue so he just needs to stay on a skin regiment.

#27 wishing2Bclear

wishing2Bclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm currently on accutane for my acne, and I think accutane would be a good choice for your son. I know two other kids in my grade who are on accutane, and it's honestly been working great for us. I know many parents are resistant to put their children on accutane, and I could see why, but please, it's worth. There is a less than 1% chance of having severe side effects. Since the acne that you think your son is facing is scarring and long-term, please, accutane is the best choice. Unless he does a ton of sports, he shouldn't have a problem with accutane's side effects. The emotional damage from acne can be so great, especially when you so many people here who have wasted their lives away because of acne. If you put him on it now, he's skin will be clear in a few months, and he'll be able to be happy and live life like a normal teen. And for a more immidiate fix, I find mixing ground oatmeal with water and using it as a face-wash and mask works wonderfully. Be warned though, it can clog your sink.

#28 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm currently on accutane for my acne, and I think accutane would be a good choice for your son. I know two other kids in my grade who are on accutane, and it's honestly been working great for us. I know many parents are resistant to put their children on accutane, and I could see why, but please, it's worth. There is a less than 1% chance of having severe side effects. Since the acne that you think your son is facing is scarring and long-term, please, accutane is the best choice. Unless he does a ton of sports, he shouldn't have a problem with accutane's side effects. The emotional damage from acne can be so great, especially when you so many people here who have wasted their lives away because of acne. If you put him on it now, he's skin will be clear in a few months, and he'll be able to be happy and live life like a normal teen. And for a more immidiate fix, I find mixing ground oatmeal with water and using it as a face-wash and mask works wonderfully. Be warned though, it can clog your sink.

Thank you very much for your post. It must be such a relief that the accutane is making a difference in the quality of your life! How many milligrams are you taking and for how long will you be taking it? Are there any side effects that you've had to deal with, even though not severe? I've never heard of washing with oatmeal, although I have heard of it used in masks. Is this all you use on your skin now? Thanks again, and the very best to you!

#29 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

They make pimple extractors I picked mine up at walmart one end is for blackheads and other end is for pimples.My son is like yours he runs around with big nasty whiteheads on his face he wont pop his either but i figure i dont want him to start because of scars.His face has been looking better i gave him the acne free set im pretty sure he only uses the face wash in the shower if he even does that boys just arent into the whole face care thing.Thats why I never took my son to the derm cuz usually they always try topicals first and antiobotics which he would never keep up with either I could make him take a pill but i have trouble making him do his face routine an I just figure its his face and it seems to bother me more than him so I just leave him alone about it now.I make sure he has his acne kit and thats it.

Thanks for weighing in on the teen boy dilemma! My son did ask for help a few times over the past 3 years. We've seen three dermatologists and a Chinese Herbalist. None helped so I think he has given up believing any doctor can help him. He ignores his acne now I guess. At his age I was all over my acne, applying everything under the sun OTC and making things worse. So on one hand I'm glad he's not obsessing over it but on the other hand I want to help so he doesn't end up like me, my brother, and my father - scarred for life from acne. Too bad he is afraid of needles, because pricking the head of a whitehead and very gently releasing the contents and then applying hydrogen peroxide leaves no scar, at least not for me. I just discovered this over the last few years and wish I knew about it when I was young - I did it all wrong back then. He has agreed to take Rainbow Light Active Teen supplements which have some herbs in it that are supposed to level out hormones and also include a probiotic. Unfortunately he often needs a reminder to take the supplement which turns me into a nag, but he'll take it after I remind him. He's been taking these for 2-3 months, so who knows, maybe they are helping. And he has agreed to use the green tea toner at night becasue he saw how the toner cleared up my pimple in two days. No way will he wash his face. He'll clear up now that school is out, as he suffers from pretty high anxiety over school.

#30 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Accutane is not worth it. It will clear him up for several months and it will come back. For some people it stops acne from recurring, but that is the exception and not what normally happens. The effects of Accutane come afterwards not during.

He needs to be on a regimen and he DOES need to wash his face. Rinsing or only using toner is not going to help. The oil will sit on his face if a cleanser is not used. Stop using store brand junk that is full of chemicals and acne-causing ingredients.

Acne runs pretty strong in our family. With my older daughter she tried all the prescriptions, accutane, everything and nothing worked. Both my girls use Lumiplexion and it has worked wonders for their acne. It's not a three-step program. It's not a one-size-fits-all. She sets up a regimen based on a person's particular skin type and acne type.

Baking soda is a good exfoliator. It's not a wash though. Plain yogurt mask will help with redness. These are good natural products, but the skin needs to get clean. The dead skin cells need to be exfoliated. BP and sulfur exfoliate. Used in combination with a few other products, your son can be clear. He needs to wash and medicate his face. You can't do it for him.

#31 Rin10

Rin10

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Hi I'm 17 and from what I've read I think accutane could definitely be a choice for your son. I took accutane and have been post accutane for 5 months and my skin has been great I only get tiny pimples that clear up overnight. If you are wondering about accutane side effects all I got were dry lips, dry skin, dry scalp(lots of dryness), back pain when I would bend down then back up. The last one may sound a bit scary but all the side effects went away and the results are definitely worth it. I took 80mg a day. I think is also important to implement a face wash and moisturizer because like Repon said those oils will sit there on his face and clog his pores. I've slaved 4 years of my life dealing with acne and is truly an awful emotional roller coaster. I can't believe he is ignoring his problem I just can't imagine someone not caring if they have acne but thats just me. I really wouldn't know what to do either but I guess I'd encourage him to get clear even if it comes off as nagging but also making sure he doesn't think you are trying to make him feel bad about it and like I read before making sure he knows you are backing him up 100%. It really is nice knowing that you have someone thats in this together with you and wants to help you. Just wanted to contribute somehow.

#32 jaketyler

jaketyler

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

as in case that ur son do'snt face his face and do'snt pick them , then here's some advice as a teenager . i had acne only when i ejaqulate when i mastribute but if i dont ejaqulate while mastributing i say clear as long as i dont ejaqulate . most teens end up with the same problem.

#33 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

cause of acne is hormonal due to weak liver/adernal glands and vitamin deficiency. You need to treat it internally.

Get a good juicer start juicing vegetables. Do not overdose and drink one glass of fresh vegetable juice everyday. My recipe is carrot, celery, cucumber, 1/4 beet and maybe pinch of dandelion greens. Juicing book website have great recipes. If you cannot afford making fresh juice everyday drink wheat grass juice from amazing grass and carrot juice although they are not potent as fresh juice. You will get rid of your acne in no time.

Stop having liver stressors caffeine, cola, refined sugar, junk food. Plenty of citrus fruits, oatmeal, yoghurt, mediation, yoga helps as well.

Citrus fruits are often no good for acne

#34 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

cause of acne is hormonal due to weak liver/adernal glands and vitamin deficiency. You need to treat it internally.

Get a good juicer start juicing vegetables. Do not overdose and drink one glass of fresh vegetable juice everyday. My recipe is carrot, celery, cucumber, 1/4 beet and maybe pinch of dandelion greens. Juicing book website have great recipes. If you cannot afford making fresh juice everyday drink wheat grass juice from amazing grass and carrot juice although they are not potent as fresh juice. You will get rid of your acne in no time.

Stop having liver stressors caffeine, cola, refined sugar, junk food. Plenty of citrus fruits, oatmeal, yoghurt, mediation, yoga helps as well.

Vitamin C/B6 in fruits lowers blood sugar. Citrus fruits also increases stomach acid to help in digestion.

#35 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Vitamin C/B6 in fruits lowers blood sugar. Citrus fruits also increases stomach acid to help in digestion.

I think I will get out my old juicer and start introducing some juice blends. Thanks for that suggestion!

#36 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

I know, but they cause cysts in many. Particularly oranges. Search the forum to see several accounts of this. It's a misconception, nobody would assume fruits can break you out.