Photo

How To Be Confident, Even With Acne Scars. Advice?

scars depression

5 replies to this topic

#1 bige24680

bige24680

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hello, my name is Ethan, and I am plagued with acne scars on both of my cheeks. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice/confidence-building stories about how to stop obsessing over acne scars, and start enjoying life again.

At this point, I am really obsessed with trying to get rid of my scars, and I refuse to accept how I look. I can't look at a mirror with confidence.

I was hoping that someone on here could help me out by telling me how to get over this obsession so I can enjoy my life again without stressing about the way I look everywhere I go.

Any advice/stories would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Ethan

#2 Beastly

Beastly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Playing softball and soccer.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Using vitamin E on your scars may help. i havent tried this on mine yet, although vitamin E is known to help scars in general so maybe it'll work for acne scars as well. Also just be yourself...if people are truly your friends, they'll be able to look past whatever is on your face.

#3 bossepl

bossepl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

no man no no no..go out to eat, hangout with your family...ur life is beautiful man..dont be like that just because how you look

#4 Faded12

Faded12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

I am in the exact same boat as you. My cystic acne finally cleared. I feel guilty that now I am obsessing over my scars when before all I wanted was for the cysts to go away. The girl that gives me facials told me that I have vascular scarring ( the red/purple scars) which is the worst kind to get. They take several months to heal :(. I'm still obsessing over them but I try not to let it consume my life. When it comes down to it people don't care about your scars, they are too preoccupied with their own insecurities. Would you rather be depressing/moody/weird with a face full of scars or an outgoing/fun to be around person with scars?. If your the later than more than likely your scars will be overlooked.

Careful with the Vitamin E. Everyone is different but I felt like it broke me out.

Microdermabrasion has helped my scars some, but really time is the only thing that will clear them.

#5 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hey, I know how you feel. I had a very bad breakout this past year and it left me with cheeks full of red marks (hyperpigmentation) not to mention more pimples coming up too. I felt AWFUL about myself. I would skip classes, avoid friends, and obsessively look at my skin in the mirror.

My red marks have faded significantly in the past 5 months. I don't know if the products I used helped (I take Monodox and use Epiduo at night) but honestly I think time is your best bet on letting the marks fade. I still have some marks and discoloration, but it's pretty easily covered with makeup. Just know that hyperpigmentation is NOT permanent and will not plague you forever. Your skin is constantly replenishing itself so just give it time and soon you will have a fresh face again.

One thing I don't know if I'd advise is a chemical peel. I got a very mild peel a few weeks ago and did not see any results. And it was expensive too! Maybe for acne scars we need more intense peels, I don't know. I would also advise using facial masks at night. I use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque and sometimes Origins Drink Up hydrating mask. I feel like these brighten and hydrate your skin, making it look even better.

Edited by snsdgirl14, 29 May 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#6 Under The Radar

Under The Radar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

bige24680 - Ethan.......

I know what you're going through buddy and it's not an easy journey. Some days will be good, some days will be bad, but you must look deep within to stay strong and continue moving forward. It is a real battle of emotions sometimes seeing yourself in really unflattering lighting and then other times seeing yourself where you actually do look good.

there isn't an easy remedy to solve this issue. I don't even think talking to a shrink can fully fix you and bring you back to that personality you had before the scars took over.

best advice I can give is to try to exhume confidence and a positive outlook. the world will still see you scars, but you know what at least show the world that you are dealing with this and are strong in your battle.

show the world that you are a friendly, hospitable character. smile, show confidence, engage others in a positive fashion, try as best you can to be out-going in your nature.

other things you may like to try include getting a hair cut every week or two to stay fresh looking. have a style of fashion which is relatively hip and shows people a different side of your personality.

the scars are there for life unfortunately, but its how you deal with them and perceive yourself which will make all the difference.

and last thing, you may agree or disagree with this but sometimes I find that when I know I will be in a situation which will likely make me a bit edgy and a little bit uncomfortable I often calm myself down before hand with a beer or even a valium to really relax me. this is purely a part of my game plan and strategy (if you want to call it this) in order to make myself best prepared and able to deal with those situations which I know are going to be the most difficult for me.

you need to find what really works for you in order to stay strong and live the life you are entitled to live.

do it for yourself, and do it for those around you who love you and appreciate you. the battle is a long and enduring one, but it's your life here, so everything you do is well and truly worth the effort.

keep your head up Ethan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users