Photo

Differin 0.1% Log (Regimen Including Bactrim And Duac)

differin log bactrim duac journey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

I am Rose!! And you seem to be going through the same thing as me!!! I think he's speaking to us in very similar ways

I'm actually quite fortunate for this experience because it's allowed me to not only view myself on a physical level. I've also stopped judging other people, especially on their physical appearances and the things they can't control. God has been testing me, but I'm happy to know that my regimen is slowly working and that I will eventually have the skin I want. It's been a weird time for me, as I'm changing a lot in life, but I feel like God is trying to introduce himself to me, and he had to kind of shake me up with this facial illness so I could recognize Him

Lol that's how I see it. And I'm not trying to make this into a spiritual board. But I've definitely connected this situation with my faith in God. I feel more comforted that way and it helps me think more positive

Glad to know you're a fellow believer!! :)

#22 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Ugh right now I'm in that obsessive mood again. NO MORE MIRRORS

Now I'm just analyzing all the whiteheads on my forehead. And my skin looks gross (I want to exfoliate but I'm trying to be gentle and I don't want to inflame any spots and spread bacteria. Guess I'll have to just sit it out with this dull looking skin until everything is healed completely) and I wish it just looked healthy and even and un-bumpy :'(

Okay. Time to put things back into perspective. My skin IS getting better, and I have a while to go. PATIENCE ahhh it's the worst

I know this is all linked to the fact that I'm nervous for my college orientation next week. I don't want people to not like me because I don't have perfect skinnnnnnnnn

But yeah that would be shallow of them anyways. There are plenty of people who like me for whatever I am. Can't let my insecurities get the best of me. I really think since my boyfriend and I broke up, I subconsciously started pointing out all my flaws. It's ridiculous!

Anyways, skin update: I have this stupid whitehead thing on my chin. And something small healing on my cheek. And several tiny comedones (not blackheads) scattered across my forehead. A few other slightly bumpy areas. And of course 1762883 red marks. Not perfect yet. Not even close

COME ON, PLEASE SHOW HOPE IN JULY

Ugh right now I'm in that obsessive mood again. NO MORE MIRRORS

Now I'm just analyzing all the whiteheads on my forehead. And my skin looks gross (I want to exfoliate but I'm trying to be gentle and I don't want to inflame any spots and spread bacteria. Guess I'll have to just sit it out with this dull looking skin unless everything is healed completely) and I wish it just looked healthy and even and un-bumpy :'(

Okay. Time to put things back into perspective. My skin IS getting better, and I have a while to go. PATIENCE ahhh it's the worst

I know this is all linked to the fact that I'm nervous for my college orientation next week. I don't want people to not like me because I don't have perfect skinnnnnnnnn

But yeah that would be shallow of them anyways. There are plenty of people who like me for whatever I am. Can't let my insecurities get the best of me. I really think since my boyfriend and I broke up, I subconsciously started pointing out all my flaws. It's ridiculous!

Anyways, skin update: I have this stupid whitehead thing on my chin. And something small healing on my cheek. And several tiny comedones (not blackheads) scattered across my forehead. A few other slightly bumpy areas. And of course 1762883 red marks. Not perfect yet. Not even close

COME ON, PLEASE SHOW HOPE IN JULY

Uhhhh, Ps I didn't mean to multi-quote my own post...that's just awk hahahaha. I don't know how to work these message boards

Edited by ariesgirl55, 14 June 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#23 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Wahhhh I took pictures today. My skin looks pretty much the same, but the lighting is weird and I look a little paler/washed out. But nothing is dramatically different :(

You can't really tell from pictures because the red marks look just like active spots. My iPhone isn't really the best tool to use

Derm appointment tomorrow. *sigh* Can't wait -_-

#24 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Ahhhh long day. But a good day!

So I visited my derm. And I feel SOOOOOOO much better. She told me that most of my acne has healed (is finishing healing) but I still have a few new spots (my forehead) that have come up. She's assured me that my regimen is working as it should and I cried (lol I always cry) and she seemed geninuely willing to help me with this issue, since she knows that I hate it so much.

She told me too that she had acne when she was younger and she definitely knows how it feels! To fade my red marks faster, she prescribed me a Retin-A gel (0.025% I believe) soooo GOODBYE DIFFERIN! I'm a little scared to just jump off, but I'm hoping the Retin-A will just take off where Differin ended. Fingers crossed for no IB or irritation.

I think my skin's purged most of the stuff out though. Hopefully the Retin-A will be stronger than the Differin and get the job done. But DAMN this stuff is potent. I think I almost got high and indirectly inhaled the whole thing. It literally smells like nail polish remover, and has the consistency of those gooey jelly-like things that stick to the back of gift-cards. And I thought my skin was kind of shiny today, but after cleansing and apply Retin-A, it's so tight and dry!! I'm gonna have to go ham on the moisterizer tonight lol

AND I JUST REALIZED I'M SUPPOSED TO BE USING THE DUAC DAY AND NIGHT. I'M SUCH AN IDIOT. She says it will be more effective using it twice a day. Gahhh, if I had known that before, I would've probably healed a lot of my acne sooner! Ahh well. But now I'm supposed to use Duac after the Retin-A.

Sticking with the Bactrim. She doesn't seem to interested in taking me off until all my active acne has subsided (I still have a little bit). Hopefully I can then ween off/stop and just maintain with my topicals.

But I'm hopeful guys! I realized today (cause I didn't wear makeup) that my skin actually doesn't look HORRIBLE. It's healing. It's getting there. I also think that my makeup is overrated and that I wear too much of it. It kind of washes out my face and makes things look worse. I'm gonna try to just blend it more naturally over really red areas and just embrace what redness and discoloration I have. It's human and imperfect, but it's better than flaking/uneven foundation strokes across my face.

And I went to my friend's party tonight and honestly just had the best time. Upon going in, I felt insecure. But after being with all my friends and just having a good time, I completely lost interest in caring about how my face looked. Everyone seemed to just be enjoying each other's company and not concerned with how many pimples they had. It was good and I drove home a happy girl Posted Image

I'm gonna be really busy these next few weeks. I have orientation, camp and the beach! If I can, I'll update. Otherwise, fingers crossed for more improvement! In the meantime, I'm gonna make the most of my summer fun and not obsess about my face Posted Image

Edited by ariesgirl55, 15 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#25 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Don't really know why I'm updating. Guess this'll be the last time for a while cause I'm gonna start to get busy.

Anyways, my face is currently on fire. Using the Retin-A AND Duac at night is intense. I hope it doesn't make any acne flare up.

My skin feels reallllly smooth though. Still waiting for everything to clear up. AND THE PIGMENTATION COME ONNNNN

I hate the patches where all the breakouts are/were concentrated. Like on my smile lines, by my hairline iccckk. Can't wait til those all fade away.

And I'm exhausted. So I should sleep. Praying that my skin will continue to heal and not get any worse!

#26 kmvanhorn

kmvanhorn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi ariesgirl55,

I'm not a dermatologist, so maybe your derm knows something I don't, but I don't think you should be using Duac and Retin a at the same time. Here's why:

First, one of the key ingredients in Duac is benzoyl peroxide. BP is an oxidant - it works by oxygenating your pores. Retin a is an antioxidant. The two topicals work in opposite ways. Using Duac after applying Retin a just cancels out anything the Retin a might have done for your skin. It renders it ineffective.

Second, Retin a is stronger than Differin (I read your log). It's making your skin thin and delicate. Applying Duac the morning after using Retin a is hard enough on your skin. You're going to seriously irritate it if you use them at the same time. You really want to space out your use of topical medications that are as harsh as Retin a and Duac.

I'm on a similar regimen - Retin a Micro and BenzaClin (same active ingredients as Duac) - I apply Retin A at night and BenzaClin in the morning. If my face feels too sensitive or if it burns when I wash it, I take a day off from using either medication. You have to give your skin time to heal from the medications.

Best of luck!

#27 ariesgirl55

ariesgirl55

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the response!

I definitely know that my amount of topicals is kind of insane and doesn't seem to make any sense at all from what I've read. However, because my derm has told me to follow with this particular regimen, I have to do what she suggests since she's the expert and it seems to be working

When I visit her next week I'll ask if it would be better for me to only use the Duac in the am. My skin is just frustratingly dry all the time, but with the Cetaphil moisturizing cream I find it puts my flakiness at bay. Still, my skin is undergoing a lot and I wish it could just be more easily/gently maintained

#28 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

I agree with kmvanhorn about the Duac at night. Did your derm specifically tell you to use in at night in conjunction with the retin-A? I can understand if she told you to use it with the differin because the synthetic retinoid in differin is NOT affected by BP (think Epiduo).
Everything that I have read about tretinoin (retin-A) states not to use it with BP.

Good luck!

#29 Rich43

Rich43

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi, the best thing I have ever done was get off of the oral antibiotics (OA). Google for 5 minutes and you will see that the long term use of any antibiotics will just destroy your immune system. Years ago, I was on OA for acne prescribed by a DERM, and after a few months I started getting sick A LOT; more colds, flu like systems, joint pains and fever. I went to a MD and he insisted that my symptoms had nothing to do with my use of OA. I googled "side effects of long term use of antibiotics," and that was when I realized that most doctors want your money and they make a living off of other peoples poor health and he was not looking out for my best interest. As soon as I got off of the oral antibiotics, I immediate got better and my health improved 100%. You are your best doctor. Seek the advice of experts but don't trust anyone.
I am 42 and still struggle with cystic acne and it is so frustrating but don't damage your insides trying to fix your outside.
Do your research, try different regimens and give them time to work. If it takes 2 - 3 months to see positive changes with successful meds like Retin A and Durac, it would make sence to give other formulas the same time to show a positive change. I know it is easy to say and hard to do but its the hard reality.
I hope this helps
I just went on the gluten free and organic diet and its been two weeks and no improvement in my face but hope to see some in the future. I will stay on this diet regardless because it is much more healthy, according to research.
42 year old cystic acne sufferer. I

Hi, the best thing I have ever done was get off of the oral antibiotics (OA). Google for 5 minutes and you will see that the long term use of any antibiotics will just destroy your immune system. Years ago, I was on OA for acne prescribed by a DERM, and after a few months I started getting sick A LOT; more colds, flu like systems, joint pains and fever. I went to a MD and he insisted that my symptoms had nothing to do with my use of OA. I googled "side effects of long term use of antibiotics," and that was when I realized that most doctors want your money and they make a living off of other peoples poor health and he was not looking out for my best interest. As soon as I got off of the oral antibiotics, I immediate got better and my health improved 100%. You are your best doctor. Seek the advice of experts but don't trust anyone.
I am 42 and still struggle with cystic acne and it is so frustrating but don't damage your insides trying to fix your outside.
Do your research, try different regimens and give them time to work. If it takes 2 - 3 months to see positive changes with successful meds like Retin A and Durac, it would make sence to give other formulas the same time to show a positive change. I know it is easy to say and hard to do but its the hard reality.
I hope this helps
I just went on the gluten free and organic diet and its been two weeks and no improvement in my face but hope to see some in the future. I will stay on this diet regardless because it is much more healthy, according to research.
42 year old cystic acne sufferer. I

You should not be using Retin A and Durac at the same time. Be patient, get a good DERM who knows something about the basics or your going to cause more damage than good.