icepick co2 fraxel

310 replies to this topic

#261 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Stereotypes are true.
    Half Italiano so I love my pasta. But...
    I'm also half Japanese so I like my Terriaki Chicken too!
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hey Kinimi, only the doctors perform the ablative laser treatments at the Skin and Laser Center here. There is 4 to 5 to choose from but Kilmer has the most experience. I never had a non-ablative laser treatment (such as restore) done at that facility. However, I have had a few done from a different doctor's office in Sacramento which did have a nurse perform the treatment. You can request and have a consultation with whichever doctor you prefer from this clinic. They are pretty good at putting any of your questions to rest. Anyways, I go in tomorrow for my next repair. Keep you posted.

Though I will say, Suzanne Kilmer is no slouch of a doctor. She is rated by News Week and Self Magazine as one of Americans top 10 laser surgeons. She has also made appearances on the Oprah show and the View, so I would hope she is not ripping me for my money. But the jury is still out as I hope to see better results before the 6 month mark.

If I ask for her to do my treatment, will she? I'm planning on traveling there to have a consultation as no one in my city offers ablative lasers. I read a review on realself that said a nurse does treatment but I think the person did restore and posted it in the wrong section, but I'm just making sure.

My 3 co2 laser fraxel:repair journal w/ photos-

http://www.acne.org/...s/#entry3248488

Good read-

http://ajcn.nutritio...t/86/1/107.full

#262 kinimi

kinimi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Thank you for the answer!

#263 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Here it is at 50% coverage! This was probably the most painful of the laser treatments I had yet. No pain , no gain.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130524_123643_644.jpg
  • IMG_20130524_123913_727.jpg

Good read-

#264 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

24 hours later:

Swelling increased quite a bit

Bleeding stopped

Skin peeling

Oh, and the setting used was for the repair was  60 mJ @ 50% (5 passes @ 10%) on the bad areas. She feathered out towards the lower jaw and temple where I have little to no scars.

My skin is peeling a whole lot more than my first Fraxel : repair but less than the 100% ablative CO2 Ultrapulse laser.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130525_201047_105.jpg

Edited by collegeboy84, 25 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Good read-

#265 -Nicky-

-Nicky-

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Houuu dude you must be the next "Die hard" pretender:)

I hope you are healing fine. I'm planning to get fractional laser done in the winter(such procedures are taboo during the summer in my country), so it`s really helpful to examine the experiance of other people! Thank you for posting that log, I really like your attitude.

Did they give you anything for the pain? My doc said multiple times that the procedure I quite painful and that he wouldn`t give me any painkillers(even numbing cream, because it reduces the benefits). So I'm wondering how other people tolerate the procedure. Do you think if it would be bearable if you are not high?   

#266 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Be careful what fractional laser the doctor is talking about. I find it hard to believe that a doctor would do a fractional CO2 laser treatment without ANY medication , cream or nerve blocks. It is extremely painful depending on the setting WITH meds.

Good luck!

Houuu dude you must be the next "Die hard" pretender:)

I hope you are healing fine. I'm planning to get fractional laser done in the winter(such procedures are taboo during the summer in my country), so it`s really helpful to examine the experiance of other people! Thank you for posting that log, I really like your attitude.

Did they give you anything for the pain? My doc said multiple times that the procedure I quite painful and that he wouldn`t give me any painkillers(even numbing cream, because it reduces the benefits). So I'm wondering how other people tolerate the procedure. Do you think if it would be bearable if you are not high?   

Good read-

#267 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

I agree CollegeBoy!  I am not about to try Fraxel Re:pair without meds.  Re:pair is not child's play.  You have become the poster boy for Re:pair, and for those who have not experienced this your pictures will alarm them, but we both know it is not as bad as it looks at first.  You are certainly an asset to this forum.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% May 22, 2008

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Jan 08, 2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 30,2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 08,2010

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Nov 04,2011

"The Road To Wellville" 1994
Goodloe Bender: Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!

#268 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck with the recovery! :) Those pictures right after the treatment do look frightening, but I'm sure it's all worth it.

And it's awesome you're willing to share the nasty phase during the first days, so it doesn't come as a surprise for people considering Repair.

#269 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I am glad you are enjoying my pain! LOL. Just kidding. I honestly think the frightening painful stage of the process is what I enjoy the most. The only way to remove traumatic scars is by having traumatic treatments done in return. Anybody who has had the "non-ablative" laser treatments such as myself (as I had 6 of them done) can attest to that.

As I lay there trembling and teary-eyed on the operating table after the procedure was complete I uttered, " I actually enjoyed that " to the Doctor. The swollen, bloody, face tells me that the laser is actually working.

And really, its not THAT bad as Dudley has pointed out. Sure, its painful for a few minutes but still tolerable. You probably wouldn't feel a thing on the cheeks if I opted for nerve blocks.

Anyways, today marks 72 hours since the treatment. My skin is peeling a LOT. My skin barely even peeled on the first Fraxel: repair I did which tells me they really turned up the juice like I requested.

I've also came up with this odd technique for vinegar soaks. Fill your sink full of warm water. Pour at least a cup of vinegar in the water. Submerge your head in the warm water and begin to blow. The bubbles delicately massages your skin removing any dead layers, aquaphor, etc. without actually rubbing your skin in any harmful way. I then fill a spray bottle with about 70% vinegar and 30% water. I spray this high solution of vinegar on my face as it works as an exfoliate of dead skill cells and as a cleaning detergent for bacteria. As you spray this % of vinegar on your skin you can actually see the dead skin cells turn white for a few minutes. Then pat try your skin to apply the aquaphor. Aquaphor or PJ applied to wet skin doesn't adhere well and likes to slide around instead of protecting the skin with a wet moisture barrier. 

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck with the recovery! smile.png Those pictures right after the treatment do look frightening, but I'm sure it's all worth it.

And it's awesome you're willing to share the nasty phase during the first days, so it doesn't come as a surprise for people considering Repair.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130527_184337_422.jpg

Good read-

#270 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    100% Hapa
    Studying til I pass out!

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Day 4. I feel like Santa Clause. I haven't shaven since the laser treatment. I started to get white heads from all the aquaphor on my face. This increase in whiteheads always occurs for me on this day. After having a post-op check up with my doc, she recommends that I go off the aquaphor. YAY!

Swelling has gone done considerably over night. This is normally the disappointing day for newbies as they are a bit shocked by the scars returning. For me, I expected it. Actually I expected my skin to look much worse then it does currently. I can see the bigger scars that remain although they do look much smaller. This could be from microswelling. I learned not to judge your skin til about 20-30 days out. The smaller "scarred pores" I can not see at this point. This also could be from microswelling. I hold my judgement for a later date.

From my experience...

day 1-3 Skin looks perfect, scar free and swollen

day 4-5 dissapointed as scars return, swelling nearly gone.

day 15-30 can see scars really fill in and often change shape

Will post photo later.

Good read-

#271 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

You have learned the secret that multiple treatments of Re:pair is what works.  Also most people are treated at too low MJ setting to see good enough results.  My doctor went at 70MJ/60% on each of my 5 Re:pairs, and I became so tolerant that by the 5th one I was out in public on the 3rd or 4th day.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

#272 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery with good results!! :)

MORNING

Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Take Minocycline 100mg (when needed)

NIGHT
Take Spironolactone 50 mg
Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Apply Aczone 5%
Retin-A .1% (waits 20 to 30 mins before applying)

MAKEUP

Origins Silk Screen Powder in Light Spice from Macys

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation
Lancôme Blush in Shimmery Pink Pool
Origins Lipstick in Buttercup
BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil Water Proof in Black Lace

#273 Hiddy Cheeks

Hiddy Cheeks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

I don't understand, why laser healthy skin as well as scarred skin, it seems pointless? Surely a better approach  would be to spot treat each scar and leave the healthy skin alone (and undamaged). Or do doctors avoid that because if they did they'd have to charge a lower fee? 

Edited by Hiddy Cheeks, 30 May 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#274 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

If you have a few individual scars that you can pinpoint then it would be senseless.  Many people have much more extensive scarring that has a total effect on their appearance.

I don't understand, why laser healthy skin as well as scarred skin, it seems pointless? Surely a better approach  would be to spot treat each scar and leave the healthy skin alone (and undamaged). Or do doctors avoid that because if they did they'd have to charge a lower fee? 

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

#275 michael24

michael24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

If you have a few individual scars that you can pinpoint then it would be senseless.  Many people have much more extensive scarring that has a total effect on their appearance.

If someone only has a few box scars can they opt for spot treatment? I wonder if anyone has done that. I would prefer someone do that than say TCA.

#276 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

My big question about spot laser treatments would be pigmentation issues.  I also had my neck done to avoid any demarcation lines.

If someone only has a few box scars can they opt for spot treatment? I wonder if anyone has done that. I would prefer someone do that than say TCA.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

#277 acnescar123

acnescar123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

I posted about it before :

http://www.acne.org/...r/#entry3328116

From what I read, it's doable - but you may have to do a full face erbium/light co2 afterwards to join in the colours.

This Dr does it a ton as well - http://www.nyccosmet...Photo[g6797]/2/

Edited by acnescar123, 30 May 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#278 dragonn

dragonn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Wait, I'm a bit confused. The color differences with spot treatment wouldn't be permanent though, right?

I know people get hyperpigmentation but if it eventually fades, then I see no reason why blending is necessary if one doesn't mind a few months of mismatched colors.

Or are we saying that the skin color will forever be different and so it best that it all matches?

#279 michael24

michael24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Wait, I'm a bit confused. The color differences with spot treatment wouldn't be permanent though, right?

I know people get hyperpigmentation but if it eventually fades, then I see no reason why blending is necessary if one doesn't mind a few months of mismatched colors.

Or are we saying that the skin color will forever be different and so it best that it all matches?

I would think  that the hyperpigmentation, if it happens at all would be temporary. I mean if the color change would be permanent than why do many not treat the nose, upper lip, or eye areas.

#280 acnescar123

acnescar123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

98% of hyper-pigmantation should go away after 2 weeks -> 6 months.

From the doctors I spoke too personally - most say based on their experience that after 2-3 very aggressive treatments (which is what most acne scar people need) there is some colour/texture changes. However, some online say it's fine to do.

I think this is a very YMMV situation - you can always try with just the scars/cheeks and see what happens - every doctor I spoke too was willing to do that, as long as I understood that I may need to do a full face laser after. Keep in mind you're going to be doing 3 treatments with 50-100% coverage, whereas for the feathering it will probably be dropped down to something like 10-20% or even an erbium laser.

I think in general it's fine to do and most doctors would do it, but you have to just keep in mind that you MAY need to do a full face laser afterwards.

Edited by acnescar123, 01 June 2013 - 01:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users