spiro spironolactone

4 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrobog

Hydrobog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I started Spironolactone in mid-March. For the first month I was on 100 mg a day, and the last two months I've been upped to 150 mgs per day. I've been struggling really badly with some really bad congestion - just TONS of closed comedones. My derm was pretty shocked when she saw my face the first time, wanted to put me on Accutane, but since I have no health insurance, that was a no go.

Anyhow, 3 months later I don't really see any improvement. My derm said that the congestion would probably take 4-6 months to improve, but I'm still also dealing with daily breakouts, and things just seem to take forever to heal. I guess the only place I've seen improvement is on my forehead and upper hairline, which is almost 100% clear.

I guess I'm kind of discouraged. Does anyone have any positive stories with Spiro that will boost my spirits? I guess I feel like 3 months in I should see SOME kind of improvement, and I don't feel like I am. I'm bummed. I had really high hopes for Spiro.

#2 Hydrobog

Hydrobog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I guess no one has any uplifting success stories for me? Bummer!

I have gone through and read old posts that have this same sort of theme. It seems like Spiro is unpredictable - it works quickly for some, takes a long time for others, and doesn't work at all for a few unlucky ones.

I currently have worse acne now than I did when I started back in February (not March, as my prev. post says) and although I pretend it doesn't bother me, inside I am extremely upset and self conscious. I'm 27, btw. Been struggling with acne since I was 13.

I will return to this site in July or August and post an update. Hopefully my experience will help someone else!

#3 Niing

Niing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Seriously you should stick with it. It will work

#4 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am seeing a reduction in cysts. Spiro just fixes the hormones that drive cyst creation under the skin...it's not going to help your skin heal. I am also on retin-a micro to get the gunk out of my skin. I would definitely try to get a strong retinoid and keep taking the spiro.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#5 Hydrobog

Hydrobog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

It's been a long time but I would like to update this.

I have been on Spiro for over a year now.  My skin is MUCH better.  It's not perfect - I still have some congestion on my cheeks, particularly on my left cheek (on which I tend to sleep at night), but I rarely get large pimples anymore, usually only around my time of the month and when I do it's usually only just 1.  My forehead and hairline are 100% clear, which is wonderful.  My chin still has blackheads, but the small under the skin bumps I had before spiro are at a minimum.

I am very pleased with Spiro!

I am using Osmosis products in conjunction with Spiro, as suggested by my esthetician.  I use Clarify in the morning and at night, mixed with 2 drops of grapefruit seed extract, and in the morning I also use Quench as a moisturizer.  I really like the Osmosis line, my skin is much healthier looking and has a nice glow.

Edited by Hydrobog, 28 March 2013 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users