I've Literally Tried Everything.. (Besides Accutane) What Now?

vitamin b vitamin b5 vitamin a depression makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

I started getting pimples when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I am now 18 years old and still battling acne.

I have tried literally every OTC and prescription cleanser, cream, gel, kit, medication, etc:

Proactiv
Clinique Acne systems
Dr. Murad kit
Mario Badescu
Differin
Duac
BP
Retin-A Micro
Salicylic Acid
Glycolic Acid
Doxycyline
Solodyn
Spironolactone
Yaz
Ortho Tri Cyclin
Ziana gel
Clindamycin
Vitamin B5
Vitamin A
Omega 369
Tea Tree Oil
Apple Cider Vinegar
Urine Therapy

Edited by foxtrotter, 10 March 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#2 cherrycat

cherrycat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

it does not appear that your acne is too inflamed. Maybe try some salicylic acid peels (basically using sal acid in higher concentration than just a quick wash or toner). Maybe try other peels (glycolic/lactic) also. The high concentration of sal acid will probably cause you to break out for a month while everything purges. How long were you on Retin-A for and did that show any improvement?

I am done with Benzoyl Peroxide!! I used it for 10 years very religiously and I am through. All it does is keep acne at bay. Which is great, if you need clear skin just for next week. But it does not allow the pores to clear, so acne will come back as soon as your face does not have bp on it or if your skin gets a bit dirty one day.

Also, most important is healthy living and healthy eating!

Edited by cherrycat, 23 May 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

it does not appear that your acne is too inflamed. Maybe try some salicylic acid peels (basically using sal acid in higher concentration than just a quick wash or toner). Maybe try other peels (glycolic/lactic) also. The high concentration of sal acid will probably cause you to break out for a month while everything purges. How long were you on Retin-A for and did that show any improvement?

I am done with Benzoyl Peroxide!! I used it for 10 years very religiously and I am through. All it does is keep acne at bay. Which is great, if you need clear skin just for next week. But it does not allow the pores to clear, so acne will come back as soon as your face does not have bp on it or if your skin gets a bit dirty one day.

Also, most important is healthy living and healthy eating!

Blah, I tried using salicylic acid a few years back and I just remember it making my skin really irritated and itchy :/ and I was on Retin-A for a few months until I couldn't take the peeling and dryness anymore.. I am just about done with BP as well! I've been using this thing religiously and there really isn't that great of an improvement anymore. I've almost like plateu-d with it ha.

And you're right. The only thing I really haven't strictly tried is changing my diet and incorporating more veggies, etc. I just don't like them! and it's so hard to be on a strict diet when my boyfriend loves junk food and munchies, yet has PERFECT skin. Posted Image not fair at all!

#4 jonesbev

jonesbev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

try using aha+ moisturizer and a sunscreen... and physiogel for face wash
pimple_free_face

#5 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

try using aha+ moisturizer and a sunscreen... and physiogel for face wash

Is there a specific brand I should use? And should I just stop applying any other sort of topicals?

#6 arqa22

arqa22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

read the diet part: http://www.acne.org/...d-my-cyst-acne/

#7 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Did you just change your diet and sexual activity and your skin cleared up? No other meds or topicals?

#8 arqa22

arqa22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Did you just change your diet and sexual activity and your skin cleared up? No other meds or topicals?

Did you just change your diet and sexual activity and your skin cleared up? yes
No other meds or topicals? no

Edited by arqa22, 24 May 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#9 Ceebs

Ceebs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

All i can say that your acne really isnt that bad :) Anyways, honestly buying all the products you have stated above is a waste of money. Start with your diet, is what problems there are like sugary foods and dairy products - Avoid those. I once had a can of soda(330ml with 40g of sugar) and i broke out with like 3 cyst on my cheeks. Next lets try looking at your daily routine, try going for a jog, workout out - when you sweat your basically opening your pores and all the oils and stuff comes out with your sweat, it also releases stress. Come back home all sweaty and have a quick shower and moisturize your face. Now lets look into your regimen. Honestly with your acne, which is most likely hormonal (watch out for sugary and dairy foods), just go for the BP regiment ;) benzoyl peroxide is the only known substance which Acne causing bacteria has no resistance to - simply meaning it kills P. acne bacteria by promoting oxygen on your skin. you should be fine. Can't Imagine how much money acne sufferers spend just to get rid of their acne, all you need is dedication to promote a better lifestyle and just use BP! hahaha, i once spent 90 bucks for each glycolic peel at my dermatologist - total price $630 for seven peels, conclusion- not effective, skin remained the same, got to see a hot nurse each time though ;). BP and better lifestyle regiment - $10 for a small 30ml epiduo bottle which i have been using for over 3months and a better lifestyle, free of charge, conclusion - clear skin (im just left with hyperpigmentation), im fitter, better faster stronger... list goes on... oh and ladies want me :P

#10 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

@Ceebs easier said than done! My diet is the hardest thing to change of myself. But I am trying! Posted Image

#11 Ceebs

Ceebs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

@Ceebs easier said than done! My diet is the hardest thing to change of myself. But I am trying! Posted Image

Yeah I know right, I've been I your shoes ;) but its about dedication, all the best!

#12 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I switched to Yaz with high hopes. Still continued to be a psychotic b

Hahahaa, this was me on yaz too!
Have you tried any other topicals from the GP/Derm, like maybe differin? Like the other poster said your acne doesnt look inflamed (and I dont think it's that bad! But I totally get why it bothers you anyway) so it may help :)
Started (Ro)Accutane :)
Month 1- 20mg
Month 2- 50mg
Month 3- 50mg

I literally do not care what you think about accutane, it was MY choice to take it, respect that.

#13 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hahahaa, this was me on yaz too!
Have you tried any other topicals from the GP/Derm, like maybe differin? Like the other poster said your acne doesnt look inflamed (and I dont think it's that bad! But I totally get why it bothers you anyway) so it may help Posted Image

Yeah, I wrote that I had used differin on the original post! And it's not THAT THAT bad, it's just aggravating to look at and pick at everyday of my life >:o

#14 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Alright so it's been 6 days since I started using Nizoral. I went out of town for a few days and forgot to take my Vitamin A and Omega 369 supplements that I had used for a little over a week. Stopped using any other sort of topicals to kind of just let my skin breathe at night.

I used the Nizoral shampoo on my head the first time and rubbed it all over my face and the next day I saw improvement with my skin. The next 5 uses, I just applied it onto my face because it says on the bottle only to use it every 3-4 days...

Honest opinion: Obviously I saw some improvement, but I can't really tell if it is still improving my skin.. The middle of my forehead is still covered in zits or like hard bumps that are semi-flat?

Attached File  Photo on 6-1-12 at 2.34 PM.jpg   166.96K   15 downloads

The redness is from me picking at it just now and messing with it last night. And now that I look at it, my forehead looks horrible still :'( god help me.

#15 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Start juicing and drink ONE glass and only one glass of fresh vegetable juice everyday: carrot, celery, cucumber, 1/4 beet, ginger. Juicing book website have great recipes. If you cannot afford making fresh juice everyday drink wheat grass juice from amazing grass and carrot juice although they are not potent as fresh juice. You will get rid of your acne in no time.

Stop having caffeine, cola, refined sugar, junk food. Plenty of citrus fruits, oatmeal, yoghurt, manuka honey, sage tea, mediation, yoga helps as well.

#16 hannabanana

hannabanana

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

How long did you stay on differin for? I hope you gave it atleast 12 weeks!

#17 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Do you exfoliate right now? I personally think this the single most important step in clearing up acne and staying clear, I know it have tried salicylic acid, but I recommend possibly re visiting it and going and trying Paula choices BHA. I've been using the 1% gel for a week and it's helped my skin out a lot. I'm not 100% clear, but I'm getting there,

#18 staple

staple

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

You say you are having stomach issues? Are you still megadosing vitA? I think that's too much vitA for something that hasn't been useful to you. I would just quit this supplement if you're getting vitA in your diet.

Also with the fish oil, are you oily at all and has the fish oil made you more oily? I've noticed omega 3s (not 3,6,9 or whole fish oil, but just omega 3s) have been really helpful to me, but they did made me a bit oilier.

And to repeat the poster above, how long were you on differin / retin A micro? Some people purge for 3 months and it takes up to 6 months to get maximum effects. Did it not work or were the side-effects too much? What level did you try? And have you tried any of the oral Rx vitamins like NicAzel?

#19 Guest_sugarglide_*

Guest_sugarglide_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

@hannabanana I was on differin the beginning of high school and I honestly can't remember how it went.

@Murph89 I exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub but I can't single handedly say its been clearing me up

@staple I was having stomach issues due to the spirinolactone and solodyn I was taking.. and possibly the birth control- not drinking a lot of water, which then probably caused my insides to be like completely dried out.. and I am not using Vitamin A.. I only did that for like a week, and didn't feel comfortable with the dosage after reading other people's reviews. As for the Omega 369, I continue to take it and it hasn't really MADE me oily; I've been oily ever since I started getting acne, so I can't say it's been making me oily (I could believe it though). Along with the retin A micro, I just didn't like the texture and it would make my skin peel and flakey.

p.s. I posted another thread talking about how I'm clearing up, you guys should all check it out!

#20 hannabanana

hannabanana

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

@hannabanana I was on differin the beginning of high school and I honestly can't remember how it went.

@Murph89 I exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub but I can't single handedly say its been clearing me up

@staple I was having stomach issues due to the spirinolactone and solodyn I was taking.. and possibly the birth control- not drinking a lot of water, which then probably caused my insides to be like completely dried out.. and I am not using Vitamin A.. I only did that for like a week, and didn't feel comfortable with the dosage after reading other people's reviews. As for the Omega 369, I continue to take it and it hasn't really MADE me oily; I've been oily ever since I started getting acne, so I can't say it's been making me oily (I could believe it though). Along with the retin A micro, I just didn't like the texture and it would make my skin peel and flakey.

p.s. I posted another thread talking about how I'm clearing up, you guys should all check it out!

Ok I just read that you are using st.Yves apricot scrub ..becareful with that one as the beads are sharp and can leave microscopic tears and scratches on the surface of the skin as well as rip your pores making them larger if you already have large pores you are at more risk because it will be easier for the beads to tear it...I used to use st. Yves it was good but just be gentle :)