- I've had acne since I was 11.
- It has come and gone in severity over the years, from moderate to severe.
- I used to have it all over my back too.
- I have very, very pale skin and my acne has scarred, leaving me with very uneven skin tone.
- I have been on every kind of prescription the doctor could give me - gels, lotions, creams, topical and oral antibiotics, dianette (The Pill), more gels/creams, and finally Roaccutane.
- The clearest my skin has been was on my 18th birthday (bliss!) after i'd finished Roaccutane. It lasted for 3 weeks.
- I've been off Roaccutane for nearly 2 years.
- My acne has recently made a severe comeback after lurking around for 2 years (would come and go). It's now cystic and hurts.
The thing is, I HATED roaccutane and the only good thing was seeing clear skin at the end of 5 months, the rest was nasty - headaches, feeling sick, hair falling out, skin peeling off, bruised and bled really easily, painful periods, decreased concentration...
I went back to the GP and he put me on Zineryt, which is utter rubbish and doesn't work for me, despite me telling him all this. If I go back and demand to see a dermatologist, will I be put back on Roaccutane?
If I have a 2nd course of it, will I get the same or, heaven forbid, worse side effects than before? Also, would a 2nd course be guaranteed to knock the acne out of my system?
I'm feeling really down about it, because I've recently met a guy who is just .... amazing, and I already feel a little inferior to him but my acne coming back worse isn't helping matters. Thing is, if I don't go on roaccutane again, my acne is still there and getting worse, but if I do go on it then my skin will flare up and all the side effects will kick in, making me feel hideous. I know this sounds really petty, but I just want nice skin. I'm on a gap year and I want clearer skin before I go to uni - acne has dominated the majority of my life and just want to have a fresh start away from all the bad memories associated with acne!
What to do?!
I've attached some photos of my skin - without make up or anything. You can't really tell how bad it is, as a lot of the acne is 'under the skin' and hurts a lot more than pimples that you can see. I also have very large pores and a lot of blackheads on my T-zone.
My current regimen is from REN skincare - 'clear calm anti-blemish kit' It's amazing for the condition of my skin but has done very little for the acne.
Edited by MissClara, 23 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.