Photo

Accutane Woes - I'm Fed Up!

accutane acne cystic pimples oily roaccutane cyst

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Okay - so, here's a low-down of why I'm so darned fed up with my stupid, horrible skin:

- I've had acne since I was 11.
- It has come and gone in severity over the years, from moderate to severe.
- I used to have it all over my back too.
- I have very, very pale skin and my acne has scarred, leaving me with very uneven skin tone.
- I have been on every kind of prescription the doctor could give me - gels, lotions, creams, topical and oral antibiotics, dianette (The Pill), more gels/creams, and finally Roaccutane.
- The clearest my skin has been was on my 18th birthday (bliss!) after i'd finished Roaccutane. It lasted for 3 weeks.
- I've been off Roaccutane for nearly 2 years.
- My acne has recently made a severe comeback after lurking around for 2 years (would come and go). It's now cystic and hurts.

The thing is, I HATED roaccutane and the only good thing was seeing clear skin at the end of 5 months, the rest was nasty - headaches, feeling sick, hair falling out, skin peeling off, bruised and bled really easily, painful periods, decreased concentration...

I went back to the GP and he put me on Zineryt, which is utter rubbish and doesn't work for me, despite me telling him all this. If I go back and demand to see a dermatologist, will I be put back on Roaccutane?

If I have a 2nd course of it, will I get the same or, heaven forbid, worse side effects than before? Also, would a 2nd course be guaranteed to knock the acne out of my system?

I'm feeling really down about it, because I've recently met a guy who is just .... amazing, and I already feel a little inferior to him but my acne coming back worse isn't helping matters. Thing is, if I don't go on roaccutane again, my acne is still there and getting worse, but if I do go on it then my skin will flare up and all the side effects will kick in, making me feel hideous. I know this sounds really petty, but I just want nice skin. I'm on a gap year and I want clearer skin before I go to uni - acne has dominated the majority of my life and just want to have a fresh start away from all the bad memories associated with acne!

What to do?! :( :(

I've attached some photos of my skin - without make up or anything. You can't really tell how bad it is, as a lot of the acne is 'under the skin' and hurts a lot more than pimples that you can see. I also have very large pores and a lot of blackheads on my T-zone.

My current regimen is from REN skincare - 'clear calm anti-blemish kit' It's amazing for the condition of my skin but has done very little for the acne.

Yours sincerely,

Upset Girl!

Edited by MissClara, 23 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#2 CeeBee25

CeeBee25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hey :)

First of all, I know how you feel. I also have struggled with acne from a young age. Mine has constantly fluctuated between mild/moderate but I do get the odd big painful cyst about once a month (I'm currently dealing with the big scab of one which I popped on Monday) Posted Image

I used to get cysts a lot more regularly but Dianette seems to control the majority of them for me. I've never tried Roaccutane but I've heard about the many side effects and to be honest, it doesn't sound great! If you are still unhappy with your skin I definitely think you should ask to see your dermatologist again so you can explore some other options and see what they say about another course of accutane, maybe with a stronger dose.

What is your current skin care routine for morning/night?
And have you ever considered or tried going dairy free?

In the past month I've managed to cut out practically all dairy from my diet (I was doing it for a trial period but have continued) and apart from the one cyst which I had from before I went dairy free, my skin has cleared up considerably! No recent whiteheads or new spots forming. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but research has suggested that the hormones in dairy can actually make acne worse for some individuals if they are intolerant without knowing so. It might be worth a try for a few weeks just to see if there are any improvements because it has helped for me :)

My skin is very similar to yours (I'm pale too!) so I know how annoying red marks can be. I used Sudocrem antiseptic healing cream to fade mine and it works wonders :) Try not to worry too much about university, I'm currently about to finish my final year and it hasn't stopped me from fitting in, there are so many other people with acne too and you still look great anyway :)

#3 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I would definitely see a dermatologist. That's going to be the best way for you to get advice and find something that will work to clear up your skin. If you had such bad side effects from Accutane the first time, I'm not sure a higher dose is the way to go, but that's for you and your derm to decide. What dosage did you take before? Perhaps starting at a lower dose and then working your way up to a higher dose (if necessary) would be ideal. The important thing is to make sure you meet a cumulative dose based on your weight.

There are plenty of people who, unfortunately, need a second course of Accutane to clear up their skin. Some people even need to take it more than that. You'll never know how your skin will react unless you try.

Either way, you're a gorgeous girl and I don't think your skin looks bad at all. I really believe that will clear up nicely for you. You just need to find the product that will work! Whether it's Accutane or something else...

Until then, try not to let your skin get you down! You don't want acne to hold you back! Just stay strong and be positive!

#4 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! :)

As for going dairy-free - I used to drink SO much milk every day and then early on this year I cut that out completely. I now drink almond or oat milk. I still eat cheese but that isnt very often. I've been a vegetarian all my life and have had very low iron counts in the past, so I don't like to cut too much out of my diet. Anyway, I do have a very healthy diet (lots of fruit and veg!). Cutting down my dairy intake didn't really do anything for me though.

My current cleansing routine is:
- REN clear calm clay cleanser with lukewarm water.
- REN clear calm day fluid (anti blemish)
This is twice a day.
At night I use the REN night cream.
Twice a week I use the REN clear calm blemish treatment mask, and sometimes the REN 'invisible pores mask'.

I'm sure it has improved the actual condition of my skin, but it doesn't seem to prevent any more outbreaks.

I have been on Diannette before when I was about 15 and it was horrible. I put on weight and got very depressed, which I couldn't deal with.

I'll definitely try and get referred to the dermatologist. I think I'd like to look at supplements and my diet before I try roaccutane again but at least I know it's there as a last resort!

The last time I took it I started off with a month course of iron supplements, as I couldn't take it until my iron count was high enough. Then I started on 5mg per day and each month it was upped until I was on 40mg per day. This was for a 5 month course.

Thank you for the nice words anyway - I'm usually one of those people who says 'yeah, I have acne so what?' and don't wear make up, but recently it's been getting to me a lot.
I think because I had acne all the way through secondary school and college, I associate my acne with that. I still feel like a little kid with it, which I know is stupid. I also got bullied for my acne and stuff at school, so I just want clear skin for once! So, yep, a trip to the docs will be on the cards ASAP! :)

#5 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! Posted Image

As for going dairy-free - I used to drink SO much milk every day and then early on this year I cut that out completely. I now drink almond or oat milk. I still eat cheese but that isnt very often. I've been a vegetarian all my life and have had very low iron counts in the past, so I don't like to cut too much out of my diet. Anyway, I do have a very healthy diet (lots of fruit and veg!). Cutting down my dairy intake didn't really do anything for me though.

This is twice a day.
Twice a week I use the REN clear calm blemish treatment mask, and sometimes the REN 'invisible pores mask'.

I'm sure it has improved the actual condition of my skin, but it doesn't seem to prevent any more outbreaks.

I have been on Diannette before when I was about 15 and it was horrible. I put on weight and got very depressed, which I couldn't deal with.

I'll definitely try and get referred to the dermatologist. I think I'd like to look at supplements and my diet before I try roaccutane again but at least I know it's there as a last resort!

The last time I took it I started off with a month course of iron supplements, as I couldn't take it until my iron count was high enough. Then I started on 5mg per day and each month it was upped until I was on 40mg per day. This was for a 5 month course.

Thank you for the nice words anyway - I'm usually one of those people who says 'yeah, I have acne so what?' and don't wear make up, but recently it's been getting to me a lot.
I think because I had acne all the way through secondary school and college, I associate my acne with that. I still feel like a little kid with it, which I know is stupid. I also got bullied for my acne and stuff at school, so I just want clear skin for once! So, yep, a trip to the docs will be on the cards ASAP! Posted Image

Hi Miss Clara!

I agree with Rach. I think you are absolutely darling! I know how you feel about trying lots of different things and not having long-term success. After years of seeing dermatologists and trying dietary changes, herbs, supplements, I decided to go on accutane. I agree seeing a dermatologist is the best thing right now if you want to clear up within a year. You can try to see a naturopath, but in my experience, I could not fully clear my skin that way, AND I spent years trying to do it.

I am concerned about your low iron count. I have also had low iron stores and B-12 deficiency, and then a couple of smart naturopaths figured out that I had celiac disease, which caused nutrient malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies. I was tired all the time, and not digesting anything well. Have you looked into seeing if you have a gluten intolerance? This can make it harder for you to absorb nutrients, and has been tied to some people's acne as well.

Also, iron deficiency makes it harder for your body to fight infections, so that could explain why your skin keeps getting infected. Just a thought. If you're set on being a vegetarian, consuming 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses on a piece of bread (gluten-free or regular) with almond butter is a delicious way to boost iron! I would sometimes stir the molasses into oatmeal as well. It is really hard to absorb iron from plant sources, so if all else fails, you can try a supplement if you're not already.

Another idea I had is that the REN line contained too many essential oils that aggravated my skin. I didn't use the Clear line, but I tried the Mayblossom products a while back. It seriously aggravated my acne long-term. Just using Cerave Hydrating Face Wash or Cetaphil and a simple oil-free spf moisturizer calms things down for me, and might be something you want to try. I know it's not natural, but often natural products can be really irritating, unless they are hypoallergenic.

Have you tried taking zinc everyday? That can beneficial. As well as eating leafy greens like kale, spinach, etc. I make my own smoothies with frozen berries, banana, fresh greens or powdered superfood greens and hemp protein. Soooo delicious!

Do you eat any foods high in omega-3's? Hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds are all anti-inflammatory. You can sprinkle them on smoothies, oatmeal, salads. Also eating quinoa instead of rice will balance your blood sugar and give you more protein as a vegetarian.

These are just some ideas if you want to jump-start an anti-inflammatory diet for your skin.

Let me know if you need any other help. :)

#6 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

This is twice a day.

I think because I had acne all the way through secondary school and college, I associate my acne with that. I still feel like a little kid with it, which I know is stupid. I also got bullied for my acne and stuff at school, so I just want clear skin for once! So, yep, a trip to the docs will be on the cards ASAP! Posted Image

Hi Miss Clara!

I agree with Rach. I think you are absolutely darling! I know how you feel about trying lots of different things and not having long-term success. After years of seeing dermatologists and trying dietary changes, herbs, supplements, I decided to go on accutane. I agree seeing a dermatologist is the best thing right now if you want to clear up within a year. You can try to see a naturopath, but in my experience, I could not fully clear my skin that way, AND I spent years trying to do it.

I am concerned about your low iron count. I have also had low iron stores and B-12 deficiency, and then a couple of smart naturopaths figured out that I had celiac disease, which caused nutrient malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies. I was tired all the time, and not digesting anything well. Have you looked into seeing if you have a gluten intolerance? This can make it harder for you to absorb nutrients, and has been tied to some people's acne as well.

Also, iron deficiency makes it harder for your body to fight infections, so that could explain why your skin keeps getting infected. Just a thought. If you're set on being a vegetarian, consuming 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses on a piece of bread (gluten-free or regular) with almond butter is a delicious way to boost iron! I would sometimes stir the molasses into oatmeal as well. It is really hard to absorb iron from plant sources, so if all else fails, you can try a supplement if you're not already.

Another idea I had is that the REN line contained too many essential oils that aggravated my skin. I didn't use the Clear line, but I tried the Mayblossom products a while back. It seriously aggravated my acne long-term. Just using Cerave Hydrating Face Wash or Cetaphil and a simple oil-free spf moisturizer calms things down for me, and might be something you want to try. I know it's not natural, but often natural products can be really irritating, unless they are hypoallergenic.

Have you tried taking zinc everyday? That can beneficial. As well as eating leafy greens like kale, spinach, etc. I make my own smoothies with frozen berries, banana, fresh greens or powdered superfood greens and hemp protein. Soooo delicious!

Do you eat any foods high in omega-3's? Hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds are all anti-inflammatory. You can sprinkle them on smoothies, oatmeal, salads. Also eating quinoa instead of rice will balance your blood sugar and give you more protein as a vegetarian.

These are just some ideas if you want to jump-start an anti-inflammatory diet for your skin.

Let me know if you need any other help. Posted Image

Hi!

Thanks so, so much for this - it's a great help.

As much as I want to try and do things naturally, it's obvious that - given I've had acne for like... half my life (gah!) - it's not going to clear up quickly without something nasty!

I don't think I have a specific problem with my iron count these days - I did have a lot of blood tests before when I was passing out a great deal and it was suggested I was anaemic - but I have recently given blood and that seemed to be fine, iron-wise.

The tiredness is very relatable - I am constantly tired, even if I had 12 hours sleep! But given that I am digesting everything well, I don't think coeliac disease is my problem. Possibly just laziness. Posted Image

It's not just that I'm set on being a vegetarian, it's that I've only ever eaten meat once - last year - and I got really sick. Even if eating meat would help my iron count, I don't think my body would take it. Thank you for your suggestions for boosting my iron! I used to take iron supplements, but I'd rather try and do things without putting pills and tablets through my system.

That's really interesting about the REN skincare. I haven't tried any other products in their line apart from the 'Clear Calm anti-Blemish' range. I think it is working though, in small ways, as I went one day without washing my face with it last week and my skin flared up overnight! Much distress in the morning...

I'm going to look into taking some zinc every day, and your suggestions about the kale, hemp & quinoa etc are really useful. I'll have to stock up on them big-time as no where sells them near me - I live in the back of beyond where even something like miso soup isn't heard of. Posted Image

Also, I don't know if this is even remotely related, but would losing weight influence my acne in anyway? I'm not 'overly' overweight, but my optimum weight for my height - 5'3" - is less than I am now. I've been trying to lose weight (and run a half-marathon - eek), and now I'm wondering if I really kick start the weight loss, maybe my skin would clear up a bit. Here's hoping.

Aaaannd (I promise this is the last thing) - does sunlight have any effect on acne? I don't go tanning on purpose, and when I am in the sun I burn, but if I had a little more sun exposure on my face would that help with scarring?

Again, thank you so much for the help. :)

Clara

#7 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

This is twice a day.

Hi Miss Clara!

Let me know if you need any other help. Posted Image

Hi!

Thanks so, so much for this - it's a great help.

As much as I want to try and do things naturally, it's obvious that - given I've had acne for like... half my life (gah!) - it's not going to clear up quickly without something nasty!

I don't think I have a specific problem with my iron count these days - I did have a lot of blood tests before when I was passing out a great deal and it was suggested I was anaemic - but I have recently given blood and that seemed to be fine, iron-wise.

The tiredness is very relatable - I am constantly tired, even if I had 12 hours sleep! But given that I am digesting everything well, I don't think coeliac disease is my problem. Possibly just laziness. Posted Image

It's not just that I'm set on being a vegetarian, it's that I've only ever eaten meat once - last year - and I got really sick. Even if eating meat would help my iron count, I don't think my body would take it. Thank you for your suggestions for boosting my iron! I used to take iron supplements, but I'd rather try and do things without putting pills and tablets through my system.

That's really interesting about the REN skincare. I haven't tried any other products in their line apart from the 'Clear Calm anti-Blemish' range. I think it is working though, in small ways, as I went one day without washing my face with it last week and my skin flared up overnight! Much distress in the morning...

I'm going to look into taking some zinc every day, and your suggestions about the kale, hemp & quinoa etc are really useful. I'll have to stock up on them big-time as no where sells them near me - I live in the back of beyond where even something like miso soup isn't heard of. Posted Image

Also, I don't know if this is even remotely related, but would losing weight influence my acne in anyway? I'm not 'overly' overweight, but my optimum weight for my height - 5'3" - is less than I am now. I've been trying to lose weight (and run a half-marathon - eek), and now I'm wondering if I really kick start the weight loss, maybe my skin would clear up a bit. Here's hoping.

Aaaannd (I promise this is the last thing) - does sunlight have any effect on acne? I don't go tanning on purpose, and when I am in the sun I burn, but if I had a little more sun exposure on my face would that help with scarring?

Again, thank you so much for the help. Posted Image

Clara

Hi Clara!

No problemo! I like talking on these message boards. Posted Image I know it's hard to find healthy ingredients sometimes. I hate modern grocery stores...so gross! Farmer's markets are my favorite thing, but I only have access to one once a week. At least it's something.

I don't know if weight loss would help acne. I am on the thin side and have always had acne. In fact, my skin usually improves when I gain weight. You could try controlling your blood sugar by not eating refined carbohydrates like white rice, sugar, as well as not eating lots of high-glycemic foods like dried fruit, baked potato, etc. These foods have been shown to worsen acne, as well as people's waistlines. If anything, exercise is fantastic for improving your blood sugar and helping weight loss. I find it helps my skin, too, but not enough to get rid of acne completely. Just make sure you don't exercise too hard too fast...ease into it. I've done that before and burned out by working out too hard at first. I only exercise at the gym every other day or every 2 days.

Some people say the sun helps acne, and it might, but it also causes skin damage. I grew up in Florida and I did find the combination of going to the beach and swimming in the salty ocean to be very healing for my skin. BUT! I always wore sunscreen on my face. I think the healing came from the salt water, but hard to be sure. I burn really easily, too. Some people say 15 minutes on your face is all you need. You could try that. Honestly, though, I wear spf 15 everyday and people tell me I look very young (I'm 28).

I would be more interested to see if eating an anti-inflammatory diet high in fruits and vegetables, exercising, and getting about 15 minutes of sun a day would help you? It's always worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Posted Image

Edited by ginanutrition, 24 May 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#8 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I don't know that actually losing weight would help your acne, but regular exercise might. It's rare that I work out regularly. (I take advantage of never gaining weight. Lol!) But, when I have exercised regularly (about four days every week) my acne has improved.

Do you go out in the sun at all now? Have you had your vitamin D level checked? A while back I was reading vitamin D supplement reviews on here and people were saying it helped clear their skin. You obviously can't guarantee that'll help your acne, but it could be worth a shot. If you decide to get some vitamin D by going outside instead of taking a supplement, make sure you still wear sunscreen! You don't want to damage your skin!

I also agree with Gina about cutting out sugar and white rice. White breads and white pastas can also cause acne. Earlier this year I read Feed Your Face by Jessica Wu. It's a great book and it'll definitely show you what types of foods you should avoid to help clear up your skin. I could never stick to that though!

Edited by AnalogHeart, 25 May 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#9 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Just a note...you won't get vitamin D absorption if you wear sunscreen. You either need to supplement or get at leat a half hour of UNPROTECTED sun exposure daily.

#10 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm vegetarian and I do find that having a good iron intake seems to help my hyper pigmentation. My Dr recommended spatone supplements, unlike most other iron supplements they arent animal derived, but are natural and absorb into your body quickly. You can buy them in boots, and it's a liquid that you mix into orange juice (iron is absorbed with vit C) and you take it once a day (although your body store iron, doesnt deplete it every day, so you can miss a day here and there).

:)

I'm from the UK too so I know the only thing a derm will say over a Dr is roaccutane, I found the referal really ahrd to get but when I got there she was like 'yep no problem, you start next month' cant believe i fought for years for that 10min discussion! (5 mins being the 'dont get pregnant' lecture).

But like everyone has said, a second course might be a good option. You might not even get the same side effects if you are older/ eating slightly differently.

#11 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

This is twice a day.

Try going vegan raw? Most of my vegan raw friends have flawless skin. Most of them had acne problems. Eating raw foods will cleanse and remove toxins out of the skin. I do believe a plant-based diet raw is the cure for everything. I am vegan raw and I am breaking out... it is close as your skin, but I think that's cause it is removing toxins out of the skin. I hope to be clear after all this. Also, treating your skin naturally is good too. Like green clay. I saw lots of reviews about how the indian aztec healing clay helped them get rid of cystic acne, etc. Plus good for oily skin. Your skin seems very oily. That's why you're probably breaking out. Derm usually make people's skin worse .. I rather go vegan raw and treat my skin naturally then visiting a derm.. doing this is more effective than anything they prescribe you. It is just my opinion.^^

I'm vegetarian and I do find that having a good iron intake seems to help my hyper pigmentation. My Dr recommended spatone supplements, unlike most other iron supplements they arent animal derived, but are natural and absorb into your body quickly. You can buy them in boots, and it's a liquid that you mix into orange juice (iron is absorbed with vit C) and you take it once a day (although your body store iron, doesnt deplete it every day, so you can miss a day here and there).

Posted Image

I'm from the UK too so I know the only thing a derm will say over a Dr is roaccutane, I found the referal really ahrd to get but when I got there she was like 'yep no problem, you start next month' cant believe i fought for years for that 10min discussion! (5 mins being the 'dont get pregnant' lecture).

But like everyone has said, a second course might be a good option. You might not even get the same side effects if you are older/ eating slightly differently.

I never saw a vegan lacking of iron. They don't even take supplements. I remember donating blood after being a vegan for two years and everything went super.. I didn't feel dizzy, etc. So yeah, what I am trying to say is that you don't need supplement. Posted Image

Edited by EddieE, 02 June 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#12 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hi everyone - thanks for adding to the discussion! There's some really helpful advice from you all, and it is very much obliged. :-)

I don't think I could go vegan raw... I'd be like a meat-eater missing their bacon sandwiches when they try vegetarianism. I'd miss my Quorn and yoghurts too much. If my skin doesn't improve though I may try it. It makes sense I suppose, you're only putting 100% natural goodness in and nothing nasty.

Vis vis the vitamin D/sun exposure: although the weather is now back to good old British summertime rain, last week I stayed out everyday in the sun, more out of making the most of it while it lasted (!), and it worked wonders!! I made the mistake of putting sunscreen on my face on the first day and ended up with worse acne, but for the rest of the week the sun has given me a nice healthy glow and my skin cleared up really well. I am getting a few new breakouts today, but I think that's maybe because of wearing make up, which I dont usually do, and leaving it on too long/touching my face. Bad Clara :-( Also, just thought, it's probably mainly due to it being that time of the month soon... Great.

As for the weight loss - I'm not actually overweight, but just think I need a bit of toning up/losing a bit of excess tummy weight. I'm currently training for a half marathon, and again the exercise and being outdoors seems to be working quite nicely for my skin.

EddieE - my skin isn't that oily any more. It used to be horrific a few years ago, as did my scalp. But now it seems to have mellowed out a bit and I only get oily skin very late in the evening if I've been wearing make up or I havent washed my face since the morning. the photo makes my skin look very shiny because i'd put on some spot treatment.

I'm going to take another photograph tomorrow to show the improvement in my skin this last week.

I'm on my iPhone and can't see or remember who wrote it, but I totally understand about the hassle of getting referred to the dermatologist. It took me years, several tearful episodes in the GP's office and one very sympathetic doctor to get referred. Then, like you, it was a case of sitting down and the dermatologist saying 'yep, you're going on roaccutane in a month', and then, like you said, having a long chat about not getting pregnant under any circumstance, and this being repeated about 10 times. She even made me sign a contract saying 'I am not sexually active', which was all quite embarrassing as I was sat with my mother!

Anyway, I digress, thank you all so, so much for the replies; it's lovely to know that there are people willing to try and help me out. :-)

Clara

P.S: just noticed that the forum changes my smiley faces into whistling faces or something along those lines. I promise I am not whistling or rolling my eyes, it was in fact meant to be a smiley face with a nose. : - )

#13 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

I never saw a vegan lacking of iron. They don't even take supplements. I remember donating blood after being a vegan for two years and everything went super.. I didn't feel dizzy, etc. So yeah, what I am trying to say is that you don't need supplement. Posted Image

Yeah I would agree if you eat properly, but lets face it, most people don't. I take supplements because I was always slightly anemic, even before being vegetarian. So my body clearly doesnt absorb iron the way it should and I'd have to eat more of it then a normal person to get the right amount. I dont have time for that while at University, I do an incredibly intensive course.

#14 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm the same as you, Clear Dreaming. I can eat all the broccoli and spinach I like, my body just does not want that iron in it. I've found if I take a Berocca in the morning, and drink a little fresh orange before meals, then I'm less tired during the day - I'm guessing this is because my body is capable of absorbing a bit more iron that way.

Okay, here we go with new photo updates on the acne: apologies for the under eye circles - I didn't get to sleep very well last night and my allergies are slowly driving me mad. (I'm house-sitting for my sister and I don't have allergy tablets with me!)

As you can see, most of the angry red acne has gone, but I'm left with a few nodules under the skin (can't see them very well) and the usual redness of scarring that it always there on my lower cheek. The red spot on my forehead decided to pop up last night, which I thought was very unthinking of it.

Edited by MissClara, 03 June 2012 - 04:33 AM.

#15 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Most of the red acne has gone! I'm pretty impressed, you should be really pleased :)

#16 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

God bless glycolic peels and sudocream! Had a real set to with my skin last night - did my usual routine with the clay cleanser, but then used a glycolic peel for 15 minutes and then put sudocream on to leave on overnight. Woke up this morning and practically danced around the room. I am so happy! It was like all the redness on my cheeks was just dead skin and it just needed to be got rid of. The sudocream seems to have reduced the redness a lot on the existing acne too. I can still feel a few spots under the skin, but hopefully some cream will keep them at bay. Usually, when I put make up on the products just sit on my skin, looking really obvious, because of the dry acne and redness. Today, I'm wearing some BB cream - no concealer or 'heavy' foundation - and I am grinning from ear to ear.

#17 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Start juicing and drink ONE glass and only one glass of fresh vegetable juice everyday: carrot, celery, cucumber, 1/4 beet, ginger. Juicing book website have great recipes. If you cannot afford making fresh juice everyday drink wheat grass juice from amazing grass and carrot juice although they are not potent as fresh juice. You will get rid of your acne in no time.

Stop having caffeine, cola, refined sugar, junk food. Plenty of citrus fruits, oatmeal, yoghurt, manuka honey, sage tea, mediation, yoga helps as well.

#18 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Start juicing and drink ONE glass and only one glass of fresh vegetable juice everyday: carrot, celery, cucumber, 1/4 beet, ginger. Juicing book website have great recipes. If you cannot afford making fresh juice everyday drink wheat grass juice from amazing grass and carrot juice although they are not potent as fresh juice. You will get rid of your acne in no time.

Stop having caffeine, cola, refined sugar, junk food. Plenty of citrus fruits, oatmeal, yoghurt, manuka honey, sage tea, mediation, yoga helps as well.

Hi asaha3 - I pretty much do all of this already. I have a very healthy diet, which I'm not wholly concerned about, and I meditate & practise yoga at least 5 times a week. Needless to say, this hasn't helped my acne at all. I've been doing it since I was about 16 and so nearly 4 years later and only slight improvement in my acne. I don't think my acne is related to diet; when I was at the dermatologists I took part in a medical survey/experiment which got sent to London to see if acne was related to your DNA and genes, as both my parents had acne during their teens. The results haven't been released yet, but I'm pretty sure that my acne is completely hereditary and not environment based.

#19 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hi asaha3 - I pretty much do all of this already. I have a very healthy diet, which I'm not wholly concerned about, and I meditate & practise yoga at least 5 times a week. Needless to say, this hasn't helped my acne at all. I've been doing it since I was about 16 and so nearly 4 years later and only slight improvement in my acne. I don't think my acne is related to diet; when I was at the dermatologists I took part in a medical survey/experiment which got sent to London to see if acne was related to your DNA and genes, as both my parents had acne during their teens. The results haven't been released yet, but I'm pretty sure that my acne is completely hereditary and not environment based.

DNA test!

Cause of acne is hormonal due to weak liver/adernal glands and vitamin deficiency. Carrot juice is the closest thing to your blood and gets rid of even cancer. You need to strengthen your liver and purify blood. Two weeks of carrot juice and wheat grass juice from Whole Foods and your acne will be all clear....provided you don't stress out your liver with alcohol, caffeine, cola........

#20 MissJohannaD

MissJohannaD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

DNA test!

Cause of acne is hormonal due to weak liver/adernal glands and vitamin deficiency. Carrot juice is the closest thing to your blood and gets rid of even cancer. You need to strengthen your liver and purify blood. Two weeks of carrot juice and wheat grass juice from Whole Foods and your acne will be all clear....provided you don't stress out your liver with alcohol, caffeine, cola........

I don't drink alcohol or cola, nor do I take in caffeine through chocolate, coffee, tea etc. Like I said, my diet is really good. As far as I'm aware there is little proof that acne is linked to what you eat, and the fact that I have a very healthy, fresh diet leads me to think that my body isn't exactly lacking much. Plus, I don't think carrot juice would rid someone of cancer - if it can, I would get in touch with the government and tell them you've cured cancer.

I'll try drinking more carrot juice, like you said, but I'm not hoping for much.