Photo

Accutane For Oily Skin

oily skin clarus accutane vitamin b vitamin b5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm on day 23 and I'm still exfoliating as well. I also use my clarisonic a few times a week. I think every person's skin is different, and I haven't had any discomfort yet with scrubs or masks. I use BP to spot treat, but if that's a bit too harsh, you could try tea tree oil. It's natural, though can be a bit drying if you use too much, so I'd suggest using it along with moisturizer Posted Image

Ah yes, tea tree oil. Thanks I will try that :) BP was more harsh on my skin than I thought it would be, but maybe that's because of my history with it.

#22 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'm on day 23 and I'm still exfoliating as well. I also use my clarisonic a few times a week. I think every person's skin is different, and I haven't had any discomfort yet with scrubs or masks. I use BP to spot treat, but if that's a bit too harsh, you could try tea tree oil. It's natural, though can be a bit drying if you use too much, so I'd suggest using it along with moisturizer Posted Image

Thanks, I will try tea trea oil, because the BP is now making my skin kind of red and itchy. I guess I was always allergic to it.
So, would you use tea tree and then moisturize, or wash off the tea tree and then moisturize? It would be cool if I could have something on my face that could combat clogged pores and bacteria. Something that's not benzoyl peroxide Posted Image

DAY 49

I haven't posted in a while because there wasn't much to post about. I *think* my initial breakout is getting better but every time I say that, I feel as though I'm jinxing my luck. I need to find some products to help this go along without causing more pimples. I feel as if my skin is twice as likely to get pimples than before. Or maybe it's the IB still fighting it out. I don't know. I'm a gal so I can't help but feel anxious that I'm going to be breaking out like this every month. I hope to God I don't. Other than that, my skin is looking a lot better. I'll take pics when the breakout is gone for good.

Oh and I'm NOW starting to get a case of the dry eyes. Darn. It's very annoying, but I find drinking lots of water helps greatly. Skin's oil levels are now at 10%.
Until next time Posted Image

Edited by droidone, 08 June 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#23 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Sounds good Posted Image

#24 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

I either rub in the tea tree oil and then moisturize without washing it off, or sometimes I will put it on after moisturizing (for example if I just came home from work and have make up on). Some people have found it to irritate, and I've found that it dries me out a little if I use it too frequently, so I use it only at night.

#25 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

I either rub in the tea tree oil and then moisturize without washing it off, or sometimes I will put it on after moisturizing (for example if I just came home from work and have make up on). Some people have found it to irritate, and I've found that it dries me out a little if I use it too frequently, so I use it only at night.

That sounds good. I'll have to do some hunting as my nearest grocer doesn't sell tto and my closest drug store has tto shampoo, haha.

#26 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sounds good Posted Image

Gahhhhh, I know I'm one of many guinea pigs using accutane to fight severe oily problems. I wish I had more to say than, my skin is significantly less oily!, but I'm crossing my fingers for beautiful skin:D

-

Wow, it's DAY 53.

Still healing from the breakout. No more dry eyes. I'm starting vitamin supplements, maaybe it will support this shenanigans and help my skin heal/not break out. I take my accutane with lunch, so I figure I'll take my Bcomplex with breakfast and zinc with dinner. Anyone else taking vitamins/minerals while on accutane?

Omg, I went for my monthly blood test yesterday and this is what happened: the nurse put a cotton swab and a strip of medical tape on told me to leave it for 5mins, just like every time I've gotten needles jabbed in my arm. I get home and attempt to take off the tape and oh god, it felt like it was ripping my skin off. Took 10 mins, but I got it off. Do not let them put tape when you get your blood test!Posted Image

I have exactly a week until I see the doc and get my next pack of pills. I don't know whether I should stick to 40mg or up the dosage.

Edited by droidone, 08 June 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#27 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

No, you're not a guinea pig (although I love them)!
And I think it's good that you don't have more to say than "my skin is less oily", because that means no (severe) side effects.

#28 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Sorry to not have posted in a while. I had my convocation last Tuesday! And then got super busy with this new certification program I enrolled in.
I wore foundation at my convocation. My skin is still healing from those few awful pimples. But it's looking better. I had a completely matte face until the ceremony started. Ugh, it was so hot that day, and the place was packed.

I am starting to notice my back is sometimes incredibly stiff. And when I lean down my neck muscles hurt. Maybe I need to be active a bit more. I'm also taking to popping a zinc pill with meals every night.

I have a problem now: my derm will be gone abroad or something (she didn't clarify). So, now I have to persuade my doc to prescribe me for the next couple of months. Boohoo.

#29 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I hope you were able to enjoy the ceremony nonetheless.
But your doc has to prescribe you the pills, doesn't she? It's not your fault she's going abroad.
I think the prescription says you are not allowed to be (very) active while you are on accutane, because the joints are dry because of accutane and pressure on them could lead to arthritis. But I think that only goes for heavy workout like lifting weights. If you do light workout like jogging, it should be ok.
I have started to take pills, too. Not accutane, just a combination of vitamins and minerals that are good for your skin, like zinc, vitamin A, etc. I have been taking them for two weeks now and right now I am experiencing a little IB, too.
My problem is I am a horrible skin picker. I just can't leave red bumps alone, even if they are tiny. So you can imagine what my face looks like right now, little red irritated bumps everywhere.Posted Image
I hope it will get better soon.

#30 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I hope you were able to enjoy the ceremony nonetheless.
But your doc has to prescribe you the pills, doesn't she? It's not your fault she's going abroad.
I think the prescription says you are not allowed to be (very) active while you are on accutane, because the joints are dry because of accutane and pressure on them could lead to arthritis. But I think that only goes for heavy workout like lifting weights. If you do light workout like jogging, it should be ok.
I have started to take pills, too. Not accutane, just a combination of vitamins and minerals that are good for your skin, like zinc, vitamin A, etc. I have been taking them for two weeks now and right now I am experiencing a little IB, too.
My problem is I am a horrible skin picker. I just can't leave red bumps alone, even if they are tiny. So you can imagine what my face looks like right now, little red irritated bumps everywhere.Posted Image
I hope it will get better soon.

I am a picker too! Because I had clear skin before, I just can't help but want to pick the pimples right off. But I know better than to do that now.

Anyways, OMG I am on DAY 67 and I am on my 2nd menstruation cycle since starting accutane.
I knew it. I'm going to be breaking out every cycle. I feel so depressed right now. One day before my period started, I get two red under-the-skin pimples. A day or so later they came to the surface, but they're huge. I never got pimples like this before accutane. Also, why is it mostly on my right cheek? lol, I don't want to jinx my left side. But OH PLEEEZ GO AWAY ACNE!

#31 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Lately I've noticed I no longer have dry lip problem. Is accutane losing its potency on me? My nose is slightly shiny, but not enough that I can actually feel oiliness. On accutane, any oiliness can cause me to break out, so I don't want to go through that.

Back, arms, chest are smooth. This morning, I just marveled at how smooth my shoulder blades felt. Before accutane, they were rough and bumpy, and my back felt kinda oily. My neck was the worst. It was an oil slick right under my chin. Somehow, I would never get pimples there. I would get deep pimples on my chin if I exfoliated too harshly. Now, I can rub my chin and pick at the skin and not get a single blemish. Can't say that about my CHEEKS :'( Oh acne, I will never understand you.

#32 B552299G

B552299G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Lately I've noticed I no longer have dry lip problem. Is accutane losing its potency on me? My nose is slightly shiny, but not enough that I can actually feel oiliness. On accutane, any oiliness can cause me to break out, so I don't want to go through that.

Back, arms, chest are smooth. This morning, I just marveled at how smooth my shoulder blades felt. Before accutane, they were rough and bumpy, and my back felt kinda oily. My neck was the worst. It was an oil slick right under my chin. Somehow, I would never get pimples there. I would get deep pimples on my chin if I exfoliated too harshly. Now, I can rub my chin and pick at the skin and not get a single blemish. Can't say that about my CHEEKS :'( Oh acne, I will never understand you.

Ive noticed the same ting with my back as well!! The first month my back got really rouht as the pores cleared and now it sooo smooth. And I can relate with the rubbing worry free, but mine is the oppsite; my chin is still giveing me trouble and my cheeks and forehead are perfect.

I also have noticed I'm not as dry as before, and this lack of dryness always coincides with same spots forming. Just when you think you've figured your ski out, it always throws ya a curveball.... ugh! lol.

#33 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I am bad at updating. Maybe I'll consolidate this log so it's a better read for those googling "accutane for oily skin".

GOOD NEWS TODAY, I scored an extra 3 months of accutane courtesy of my awesome new family doctor. She's extremely understanding, open minded and honestly looks like she recently graduated from med school, lol. But she knows her stuff (and has neater hand-writing than me!).
So, I'm feeling good right now. I was thoroughly afraid I would have to get off accutane at the end of my 3rd month (which is 1 week away) because my derm is a cautious one who can't spare me the time of day to help quell concerns about my skin and health. The funny thing was she wanted to double my dosage but wouldn't extend the duration of my treatment:S

Okay, now that that problem is taken care of, I can rest assured that I will have gone through a full 6 month 40mg treatment of accutane. And if that doesn't zap my oily/acne problem in at least a half, then tough luck for me:(

Once again, I'm wondering about accutane efficacy...is it better to take high dosages, or stick to medium dosage and extend duration of the treatment? So many questions, I wish I had the monetary backing to do a wide scale survey/research myself!

#34 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think a medium dosage is better. I read a post here on acne.org from a guy from Brazil who said in Brazil most people only take 20mg or 40mg of accutane and there are very little people who experience severe negative side effects (no matter how long they take it).

#35 B552299G

B552299G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey droidone! How's everything going? It's been a while since we've heard from you.

And on the dosing, I;ve been doing a lot of reading because I'm wondering these same things. From what I've read, the best results comes from a regular medium dose that falls within the recomended cumulative dose (120-150 mg/kg from what I've read). I've always wondered if getting there with a higher dose in a shorter time, or getting there slower with a lower dose is more affective as well. Ugh! I totally hear ya about having all these questions. It would feel better to know what would give us the best chance of long-term sucess.....

Edited by B552299G, 26 July 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#36 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'M ALIVE!!

What I've been up to recently: couple of job interviews, lots of short distance traveling, lots of sun, and lots of fun.

I'm on day...107. Damn. I've been on this drug for 3.5 months now. It feels like last week I started this log.

Well no more whining today. In fact, I haven't been thinking about accutane and acne at all the past couple of weeks. When derms said it takes until the 4th month to see results they were right. KNOCK ON WOOD, I haven't had a single pimple for 2 weeks now. Is it the sun? The no-trash diet? Drinking water in the morning? Or the accutane?:P
I wish I could do a controlled experiment but I can't, so I'll accept this for what it is and enjoy the rest of the summer. I have to wear long sleeves when I go out because for the first time in my life, I tan easily (except my face). Also, the sun allergy I had in my teens is back, now on my hands and arms. But it takes a couple days to fully go away and it's hardly noticeable, but very itchy. Regular sun exposure reduces the flareups.
Posted Image

Other than that, the oil is almost non existent, I don't have badly dry lips, my eyes DO get dry fast when I stare at the computer/television too long, and I strain a lot now. I have normal vision but the dryness blurs it sometimes. Other than that, great few weeks. Hope you guys are having fun in the sun :)

#37 sfteen

sfteen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

http://www.youtube.c...ure=context-cha

If you are only using it for oily skin I would not recommend

#38 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

If you are only using it for oily skin I would not recommend

Whether we have normal skin, or oily skin or combination skin or dry acne prone skin, everyone who goes on the drug will be facing the same risks, and it's just a matter of how fit your body is to deal with and break down accutane.

I researched this drug since way back when I actually had acne. I'm aware of all the side effects, I know of all the Crohn's disease lawsuits, and I made the decision. If accutane really was as destructive as we think, then we should be hearing terrible stories from our friends and peers. I haven't heard a single bad review from my friends, family friends, and friends of my high school sisters. The internet however is a different story. Just looking at my own log, when accutane was making me break out, and giving me those freaky pins and needles feelings, I'd seek the internet to share my bad experience. Two months later, now that it's working it's magic, I think nothing of it, and forget to post sometimes. I think we should have a little faith, keep tabs on any side effects and watch out for bad indicators (like diarrhea, which indicates intestinal problems) I think accutane is an amazing drug, but it must be used wisely. :)

#39 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

Hey Droidone!

So what exactly is the skin in your face like now? Is it still a bit oily, is it just right or do you have dry skin now?

#40 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hey Droidone!

So what exactly is the skin in your face like now? Is it still a bit oily, is it just right or do you have dry skin now?

I have dry skin right now. Literally no oil, only obviously there must be some teeny bit of sebum production because my skin is not paper dry like it was in month 1. When the summer days are upwards of 30 Celsius my skin will be a teeny bit shiny on the nose and forehead, but it never actually feels oily.

As I'm writing this, I'm blinking every second because my eyes are soo dry! Before accutane, my neck was the oiliest, just under my chin. Now, I am positive I can withhold showering for a week and not feel oily, not that I intend to do that :P But the change is ginormous.

Currently, I'm almost 1/3 through my 5th month. Crazy how time flies! If my skin maintains its current state, after accutane, I will be one very happy girl. One very negative thing I have to complain about is the scarring left from the initial breakout. The red marks are taking quite a long time to fade, but they're on their way. But gahhh, how I wish I could have prevented the breakout. I think if I get a pimple even now, it might scar, so I'm being extra cautious.

I'm making some new observations that may or may not apply to others on the board.
I've noticed that if I'm active, my skin behaves a great deal. It's more elastic, less flaky, and overall looking great. I'm a computer addict, so I spend a lot of time in front of the screen, so this is a lifestyle change. I've never liked working out a sweat, but now I try to do at least 3 intense workouts a week to the point where my face sweats. Sweating is great for clearing the pores and it loosens dead skin on the surface. It's like a non abusive exfoliater!

Aaand once again sorry for not having updated more frequently :P I will have a great deal more to say after my course ends. Hoping for the best :D