Photo

Never Thought I'd Be This Excited At Starting A Roaccutane Log! =)

roaccutane isotretinoin accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

So, I am finally starting this long journey but for all the right reasons and with the end result firmly stuck in my head for when I am thinking to myself 'Why am I doing this!?'

Everyone loves a bit of background so here goes...

I've had acne since I was about 13 (now 20), I've been on all the usual antibiotics and topicals. Lymecycline worked but I grew immune to its effects. Erythromycin in both pill and topical form again just didn't have any long term effects, I either grew immune or it would come back with a vengeance when I stopped it. I had an AWFUL allergic reaction to Trimethoprim and had never heard of it being used for acne before but either way that was a no go. So finally my dermatologist has agreed that my acne is moderate, persistant and I scar very easily so we'll try Accutane.

I weigh 65kg and have been started on 20mg to introduce me to the side effects with a view of increasing in 1/2 months time. I know this is a bit low compared to some peoples initial starting dose but hey I trust my derm and it is all about the cumulative dose in the end.

Any info from those post 'tane or further along in their course would be amazing. I've bought a really gentle cleanser and rich moisturiser by Eucerin and I'm taking everything else as it comes as I don't really know what side effects I'm going to get.

Blah, I think I've run out of things to say right at this moment. I'm only on Day 4 and I may be being a bit hyperchondriac(ish) but my lips are already getting a bit dry.

Anyway, I hope I get some lovely people to spur me on, I've taken a few pics and will be logging pics aswell for those that like to see the IB/progress etc.

Hope everyone else is good and I'll be updating you soon I'm sure =) xx

#2 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Congrats! Can't wait to see your progress. I'm on Day 6 and I don't think you're a hypochondriac for thinking your lips are dry! Haha mine are already getting drier, too!

#3 B552299G

B552299G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm starting today as well!

My story is very similar... 21 yr old and have been on antibiotics but starting to become immune. I'm a 155 pound male so im starting on 50 mg and then going from there deoending on my side affects.

I'm about to start a log and as hoping someone would be starting around the same time so we can compare results.

Good Luck!

#4 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I'm on day seven, so we have pretty close starting times. My lips just started feeling dry too. I hate that feeling! I'm definitely keeping them coated in Aquaphor!

Good luck on your course! I look forward to reading about your progress!

#5 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Good luck, Jodie! :)

#6 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hey! Welcome to the Accutane logs! I am a week into my 3rd month, so I am quite a bit ahead of you. If you have any questions or need advice feel free to ask me or anyone on the logs. We try to be as helpful as we can. Remember things can get worse before they get better! Try to stay positive while on your course, which is easier said than done. You've come to a good place for support and advice. I will be following your progress!

Good luck!

#7 ninalina

ninalina

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I just started two weeks ago so we may be able to relate a little. Yeah right at the beginning my lips felt dry too! It happened so quickly and now i constantly need aquaphor on it. Hope your course is going well!

#8 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Best of luck! I'm also starting at 20mg. I've heard that lower dosages lower your chances of getting an IB and minimizes side effects. Anyway, you're right, it's all about the cumulative dose at the end, regardless of how we get there! If you have any questions in the future, the lovely members here are super helpful with tips and ideas :)

#9 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Looks like we have a lot of new starters around the similar time then. Yay!
Lovely to see everyone coming to say hi, feel free to hijack the log at any point to give me updates on your progress too =)

Quick question for anyone that might know, I have mild hyper mobility syndrome and keep this is check by going to the gym regularly and doing non impact sports for my knees, I go 5 times a week, but wanted to know how badly if at all this is going to exacerbate the joint pain symptoms? I know not everyone gets it but I want to be prepared as I can't really stop all together as my HMS will deteriorate.

I apologise as well if I lurk a lot and forget to post, just depends on how busy work is and if I can sneak a little 10 mins on here. Anyway, enough chit chat from me and thanks again guys <3 xx

#10 nick :)

nick :)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I finished about 3 weeks ago, and I'm left with red marks, no inflamed pimples, but small bumps are starting to pop up, which pisses me off! but it's all good as long as i use the right products, i hope!!

I wasn't prescribed anything post-accutane, because I haven't been to the doc since I stopped! I might go soon & ask for differin.

Good luck on your course! It is so worth it, trust me!!

And as for the gym... I totally cut it out after month 2. Every time I worked out, my whole body would KILL, even though I had been going regularly for months beforehand. I'm not as sore anymore though :)

#11 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

Ah Nick:) congrats on finishing your course.
I think I'm going to do the same with post tane - no point in going backwards and relapsing when a topical can keep any little issues at bay.

Oh god that's a pain as looks like im screwed either way.
Work out - Whole body in pain.
Don't work out - Awful knee pain and can barely walk up/down stairs.

Guess I'll have to take it easy and see what happens.
Any tips for supplements to help or pre-empt the joint pain that might help a bit?

Also, definately feel my lips are dryer and my skin seems to be a bit dryer too, not massively yet but can certainly see a difference and its only day 5!!

I will get round to posting the pictures but that involves booting up the laptop whereas most of my posts are from my iPad or at work so sorry for the delay!! xx

#12 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Ah Nick:) congrats on finishing your course.
I think I'm going to do the same with post tane - no point in going backwards and relapsing when a topical can keep any little issues at bay.

Oh god that's a pain as looks like im screwed either way.
Work out - Whole body in pain.
Don't work out - Awful knee pain and can barely walk up/down stairs.

Guess I'll have to take it easy and see what happens.
Any tips for supplements to help or pre-empt the joint pain that might help a bit?

Also, definately feel my lips are dryer and my skin seems to be a bit dryer too, not massively yet but can certainly see a difference and its only day 5!!

I will get round to posting the pictures but that involves booting up the laptop whereas most of my posts are from my iPad or at work so sorry for the delay!! xx

I get joint pain from a bad reaction I had to minocycline, in my knees and ankles. So when I started accutane I was kind of worried what was going to happen with my joints. As I expected about 3 weeks into my course my knees and ankles started killing me! So I went out and bought Fish oil and that helped but it didn't take away all the pain. Then I went out and bought Glucosamine sulfate supplements and after a few days of taking those I was no longer in pain or uncomfortable. I would give those a shot and see if that helps prevent pain and soreness from working out. They worked wonders on me, I was going to have to stop taking accutane if they didn't work. I am like you in the fact I couldn't walk up stairs or down or even across a room without help.

#13 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Brilliant! Thanks BeautifulDisasters, I'll be getting those this week if I can in the hope that I can stop them before they come on basically.

Its a catch 22 because I wouldn't want to stop Accutane but I also would need to get to work somehow!! I was contemplating one of those mobility scooters for a short moment and then realised how ridiculous I was sounding!! Haha.

How are you getting on? Everything ok I hope? xx

#14 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Brilliant! Thanks BeautifulDisasters, I'll be getting those this week if I can in the hope that I can stop them before they come on basically.

Its a catch 22 because I wouldn't want to stop Accutane but I also would need to get to work somehow!! I was contemplating one of those mobility scooters for a short moment and then realised how ridiculous I was sounding!! Haha.

Your very welcome! I hope they work as well for you as they have for me! Hopefully you can avoid the scooters lol. I think really the best thing you can do on this medication is baby yourself. Im not kidding, listen to your body and treat yourself with love and care. Its really amazing how differently this stuff affects person to person. It's so different! My number 1 tip is to drink tons and tons of water. Iced tea, kool aid, lemon water. what ever it is just get water into you and it helps everything.

I am getting along pretty well so far! If I could get my lips under control that would be pretty awesome though. I have no real complaints though. Everything is pretty easy to control and take care of as long as I stay on top of it. Lip moisturizers have become my best friends, and Neosporin cream for any active zits I am still getting.

#15 droidone

droidone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi there. I'm about a month in and i'm going through what is definitely an initial breakout. But, looking forward to results in the end. My first month was problem free. Just VERY dry skin (all over). Good luck! :)

#16 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Your very welcome! I hope they work as well for you as they have for me! Hopefully you can avoid the scooters lol. I think really the best thing you can do on this medication is baby yourself. Im not kidding, listen to your body and treat yourself with love and care. Its really amazing how differently this stuff affects person to person. It's so different! My number 1 tip is to drink tons and tons of water. Iced tea, kool aid, lemon water. what ever it is just get water into you and it helps everything.

I am getting along pretty well so far! If I could get my lips under control that would be pretty awesome though. I have no real complaints though. Everything is pretty easy to control and take care of as long as I stay on top of it. Lip moisturizers have become my best friends, and Neosporin cream for any active zits I am still getting.

Is Neosporin kinda like Sudocrem? Sorry american brands get me all confuzzled!
Ewww water !! I hate hate hate water but if it'll make me better then I guess I'll soldier on with it.

Glad your not too bad, I'm trying to keep on top of my lips at the moment as you saw in the other post I hate the feeling of them being dry. I keep "smacking" them together just to check I still have stuff on them!!

#17 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Ohh sorry I just noticed you were from the UK! Yea it is like that Sudocrem

#18 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Haha it's ok, there's not as many of us on here so I guess it's easy to assume everyone's from the US.
Can I also just moan that weve had 5 months of rain, non stop rain pretty much and suddenly this week it's actually going to be warm and sunny. Oh the irony lol!

Love my sudocrem, I find it really helps to diminish redness and I tend to smear myself in that or scar oil in the evenings =)

Not much to tell you apart from I feel my makeup wore better today then it has in a while and lips are officially dry. Xx

#19 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Haha it's ok, there's not as many of us on here so I guess it's easy to assume everyone's from the US.
Can I also just moan that weve had 5 months of rain, non stop rain pretty much and suddenly this week it's actually going to be warm and sunny. Oh the irony lol!

Love my sudocrem, I find it really helps to diminish redness and I tend to smear myself in that or scar oil in the evenings =)

Not much to tell you apart from I feel my makeup wore better today then it has in a while and lips are officially dry. Xx

I feel your pain with the weather, I am in Minnesota so it's snow here 6 to 7 months of the year. I can't help but to think I started at the wrong time. I would have rather been on it over the winter. But that is a catch 22 because it's dryer then so the dry skin and chapped lips might be more of a pain. I will spend every second I can out in the sun this summer though. I'll suck it up and use SPF and get on with life. I recently took a vacation to Florida which is a super sunny state. They call it the sunshine state, so that says a lot. I just used a 30 SPF and I was fine, I didn't burn at all. So don't be scared, get your little behind out there and enjoy that sun!

#20 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Ah that's so good to hear that you didn't have too much sensitivity. I'm also going on holiday whilst on Accutane in August to Zante (Greece) its like 32 degrees celcius out there so that should be fun haha. Think i'll be faking the tan before I go haha.

Sorry if I keep randomly quoting and then not, my comp really doesn't like to quote people !! Gah!