Photo

Accutane Log 17/f

accutane oratane roaccutane asian female 10mg low dose oily oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Hi there,
I have finally reached this stage of getting my hands on Accutane... I so want to finally begin my path to clear skin and start my life. I have such low esteem, I say no to social outings, I struggle to look people in the eye, my entire headspace is filled about thoughts of my skin.
A little info about me: I'm 17 turning 18 this year, Asian, female, from Australia. My height is 168cm and I weigh 50kg or 110lb. The derm has prescribed me 10mg of Oratane 3 times a week.
I eat very healthily and naturally.
EXTREMELY oily skin. I have had really persistant acne since I was 12 and has fluctuated in the time I've had it, ranging from mild to moderate to severe cystic. Right now my skin is at one of its worst times. I have a little bit of acne on my back, chest and neck.
Other things I have tried:
- Every acne fighting skincare product under the sun (Neutrogena, Garnier, Clearasil, Clean&Clear, Proactiv, you name it). This was when I was 13 and didn't know any better so naturally, I went out and bought every single acne product in sight. Then I realised Salicylic acid was hopeless.
- Dan's regime. Faithfully stuck to it and followed it meticulously for a few months but I could not handle the flakiness and my cystic acne had not improved.
- Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Epiduo (adapalene/benzoyl peroxide topical gel)
- Minocycline. Have been on several cycles of this and worked quite effectively but the acne came back not too long after. My last bout of Mino was a month ago and had no effect whatsoever, which leads me to think that I have grown resistant to it.

I will edit and update this as I go, if I want to add more details that might be helpful to know.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05138 - Copy (2).JPG
  • DSC05139 - Copy.JPG
  • DSC05134 - Copy.JPG
  • DSC05138 - Copy.JPG

Edited by scarface17, 23 May 2012 - 01:07 AM.

#2 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

DAY 1:
Took my first 10mg pill on Friday 18th of May. I am taking 10mg three times a week so on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Obviously no effects on me yet.
I am not sure if my dermatologist put me on this amount to start off with, just to see how my body reacts or if this is what he thinks will be effective for my skin. I have to say, my first thought was "is that all?!" I thought 10mg per day was a fairly low dose but only three times a week? In my head I was screaming "GIVE ME MORE! My skin is worthy of more than that!"
Hopefully this was just the starting point and when I see him in my next visits, he'll bump up my dosage (if it's not making any difference).
I do realise that I am 50kg/110lb and that my dosage isn't that low compared to someone at a higher weight, which for them this would be an extremely low dose, but I can't help but be sceptical.
Anyways, it's early days and I'm just over analysing.

What are your thoughts on my dosage? Do you have an skincare recommendations to combat the dryness whilst I'm on accutane? E.g. Some really good facial moisturisers and cleansers.

#3 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

DAY 1:
Took my first 10mg pill on Friday 18th of May. I am taking 10mg three times a week so on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Obviously no effects on me yet.
I am not sure if my dermatologist put me on this amount to start off with, just to see how my body reacts or if this is what he thinks will be effective for my skin. I have to say, my first thought was "is that all?!" I thought 10mg per day was a fairly low dose but only three times a week? In my head I was screaming "GIVE ME MORE! My skin is worthy of more than that!"
Hopefully this was just the starting point and when I see him in my next visits, he'll bump up my dosage (if it's not making any difference).
I do realise that I am 50kg/110lb and that my dosage isn't that low compared to someone at a higher weight, which for them this would be an extremely low dose, but I can't help but be sceptical.
Anyways, it's early days and I'm just over analysing.

What are your thoughts on my dosage? Do you have an skincare recommendations to combat the dryness whilst I'm on accutane? E.g. Some really good facial moisturisers and cleansers.

Hey! Welcome to the accutane family on here! You picked a wonderful place to come for support. Your right your dosage seems very low. Aree you taking 30 mg 3 times a week.. Or 10 mg 3 times a week? I've seen people on 80mg a day that is similar to your weight and people on 20 mg a week that weigh more than you. Every dermatologist is different. Maybe yours is starting you low to avoid a bad breakout or bad onset of side effects.. Do you know if you are going to be on that dosage the entire course? Or how long your course is going to be?

Also for moisturizers I use and LOVE CeraVe moisturizing CREAM. It's nice and thick but it is light if that makes sense. I also use the CeraVe foaming face wash and love that. It doesn't make me red or make my skin feel tight. For a SPF on my face I use CeraVe AM moisturizer it has a 30 SPF in it which you will need atleast a 15 SPF depending on how sensitive your skin gets during your course. Some people hate CeraVe products and then they usually use Cetaphil products. For me Cetaphil was greasy and oily and it never soaked in. Just sat oily on top on my skin. I didn't like it at all, but people seem to be love Cetaphil hate CeraVe. Or love CeraVe and hate Cetaphil. I've not come across anyone who uses both. Weird.

Anyways feel free to ask any questions. All of us try to help out as much as we can. Best of luck with your course!

#4 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to the forums! :)

I'm also wondering how long your course is and if you'll eventually be prescribed a higher dose. I don't know much about courses where a person takes pills only a few days a week, but I'm very curious to see what your progress will be like. I'm 5'2 and 105 lbs. and I take 40mg a day, so your dose seems pretty low. However, like BeautifulDisasters said, it could be a way to avoid an initial breakout or bad side effects.

I also recommend the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. I tried the Moisturizing Lotion sometime last year and it made me break out, but the cream seems to work nicely. If you're not a CeraVe fan, try Cetaphil. Their moisturizers are very popular. For lips I love Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm in Vanilla and Lavender for daytime and Aquaphor at night.

I wish you the best of luck on your course! I look forward to reading your log!
Accutane Log
Month 1: May - 40mg
Month 2: June - 40mg
Month 3: July - 40mg
Month 4: August - 40mg
Month 5: September - 40mg

#5 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys :) I've been a long time occasional lurker on the message boards, but never made an account till now. Such a supportive community!
@BeautifulDisasters I am taking 10mg three times a week. My derm didn't specify how long my course would be, I guess it's just we'll see how my skin responds and we'll go along according to that. Regarding the low dose to avoid bad initial breakout/side effects, yes I thought that too. I hope it's just to ease me into the treatment so it's not such a shock to the system, . Perhaps also my derm was trying to appease my overly concerned mum by prescribing me a low dose. I guess I'll see at my next appointment if he'll bump me up. 80mg a day for people around my weight? I thought the rule of thumb was that a person could have 1mg per kg. My derm said that the maximum I could take is 50mg, but that he wasn't going to.
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I don't think we CeraVe in Australia. But I have Cetaphil products which I've used but that
was on my oily skin, so not sure how it will be on dry Accutane skin. Or if I will ever even get dry, on my low dose!!

@AnalogHeart Thanks also for the recs. We don't have Aquaphor in Australia which sucks! Everyone raves about it. But if I'm ever desperate I'll just order it online.
40mg right off the bat? I'm jealous! That's pretty much the maximum dosage you can take for your weight right? When I get the chance I'm going to go through your log to see how that's been going.

Edited by scarface17, 21 May 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#6 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys Posted Image I've been a long time occasional lurker on the message boards, but never made an account till now. Such a supportive community!
@BeautifulDisasters I am taking 10mg three times a week. My derm didn't specify how long my course would be, I guess it's just we'll see how my skin responds and we'll go along according to that. Regarding the low dose to avoid bad initial breakout/side effects, yes I thought that too. I hope it's just to ease me into the treatment so it's not such a shock to the system, . Perhaps also my derm was trying to appease my overly concerned mum by prescribing me a low dose. I guess I'll see at my next appointment if he'll bump me up. 80mg a day for people around my weight? I thought the rule of thumb was that a person could have 1mg per kg. My derm said that the maximum I could take is 50mg, but that he wasn't going to.
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I don't think we CeraVe in Australia. But I have Cetaphil products which I've used but that
was on my oily skin, so not sure how it will be on dry Accutane skin. Or if I will ever even get dry, on my low dose!!

@AnalogHeart Thanks also for the recs. We don't have Aquaphor in Australia which sucks! Everyone raves about it. But if I'm ever desperate I'll just order it online.
40mg right off the bat? I'm jealous! That's pretty much the maximum dosage you can take for your weight right? When I get the chance I'm going to go through your log to see how that's been going.

That is the rile of thumb your right. The thing is it is a cumulative dose so you want to end up with 1mg per kg if that makes sense. So it doesn't matter how you are getting it as long as your ending dose is 1 mg per kg. I think that 80 MG does seem like a lot for someone your weight, I see it a lot on here though. I am on 60mg and started on 40 mg. Who knows why your dermatologist gave you that dose. I hope it works out for you though and you clear quickly! Do you guys have the simple brand over there? I hear that is a good brand. Really what you want is something that is non allergenic and non comedogenic so you don't clog your pores. If you can find a face wash and mositurizer that fits that you will be good!

#7 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Bummer you don't have Aquaphor in Australia. It's definitely a must-have for me! I hope you can find some products that combat any dryness.

There have actually been people that weigh less than me and they're on 80mg. I think it really depends on the dermatologist. Mine wanted me to be on a low dose, which I assume is because my acne is pretty mild/moderate.
Accutane Log

#8 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

I agree with you Rachel. I think the dosage is up to the doctor. Not that thier are guidelines to follow. Because I see people on these logs like taylor who is a tiny skinny minney and she is on 80 mg I weight more than Taylor and I finally just went up to 60 mg. so who really knows. I hope I can get up to 80 next month though. Really start seeing some results.

#9 SupernatualFanatic

SupernatualFanatic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

I am one of the famous ones that is your weight, height, and same age, and on 80 mg a day :P woohoo! I know some derms would flip out, but mine said she "goes big" with all her patients, and I've been handling it just fine, but everyone is different. I hope you the best of luck! I will be following you :) I am very curious on how your treatment will go with 10 mg only three times a week. I hope it goes amazing for you :)

My Accutane Log! - Starting 4/17/2012!
Month 1 - 80mg

Month 2 - 80mg

Month 3 - 80mg

Month 4 - 80mg

Month 5 - 80mg

Month 6 -80mg

Accutane is my new best friend <3.

#10 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

That is the rile of thumb your right. The thing is it is a cumulative dose so you want to end up with 1mg per kg if that makes sense. So it doesn't matter how you are getting it as long as your ending dose is 1 mg per kg. I think that 80 MG does seem like a lot for someone your weight, I see it a lot on here though. I am on 60mg and started on 40 mg. Who knows why your dermatologist gave you that dose. I hope it works out for you though and you clear quickly! Do you guys have the simple brand over there? I hear that is a good brand. Really what you want is something that is non allergenic and non comedogenic so you don't clog your pores. If you can find a face wash and mositurizer that fits that you will be good!

Yep we have the simple brand, although I looked up the reviews on MakeupAlley and I don't think they have anything super moisturising. The eye makeup remover and face wipes are great though! Right now I'm using the Cetaphil moisturising cream or KORA Organics moisturiser depending on what I feel like, MAC Cleanse off oil to remove makeup, and Acne.org cleanser.

I am one of the famous ones that is your weight, height, and same age, and on 80 mg a day Posted Image woohoo! I know some derms would flip out, but mine said she "goes big" with all her patients, and I've been handling it just fine, but everyone is different. I hope you the best of luck! I will be following you Posted Image I am very curious on how your treatment will go with 10 mg only three times a week. I hope it goes amazing for you Posted Image

Ahh you're so lucky! That's great that you're handling the 80mg so well. I thought 20mg a day would be a good starting point for me but jeez, with the dosage I've got it really seems like nothing! But we'll see. Thanks, I hope it works out Posted Image

#11 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

Just uploaded photos of my skin. Sorry that I'm subjecting you that horrible sight haha... yuck! I'm wayyy too embarrassed to show my whole face so I'll only be posting parts of it, but nevertheless I think it will be helpful to track my progress. I seriously admire those people who are brave enough to show their face. I guess I'm afraid that if I did, someone I know will somehow come across it!! God forbid if anyone from my school saw it, I'd probably jump off a building... I mean, the chances of someone finding this are very slim... but still!
Anyways as you can see in the pics that most of my acne is located on my forehead, it's the itchy type too. I just want to scratch my skin off! And then I have a little bit on my cheeks along with scarring. You can really see how bumpy my skin looks on the side view, which makes me so self conscious around people.
I can't even remember what it's like to touch smooth skin anymore.

I'm really glad that getting Accutane in Australia is a fairly easy process. There's none of that iPledge crap to go through which I reckon really sucks for the people in the US. Here it's basically just get referred to a derm, they prescribe you Accutane, get your blood test done and when results are fine then it's done! All that pregnancy stuff they don't drill it into us as much as they do in the US. I don't have to be on birth control. I just had to sign a form saying I wouldn't get pregnant and that was that, just makes the whole process a lot less of an ordeal. My pills just cost $5.80 which was awesome :)

#12 jonesbev

jonesbev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

this post is very much helpful especially to those who are suffering same situation. keep posting and update to your progress... happy face...Posted Image
pimple_free_face

#13 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I agree with you Rachel. I think the dosage is up to the doctor. Not that thier are guidelines to follow. Because I see people on these logs like taylor who is a tiny skinny minney and she is on 80 mg I weight more than Taylor and I finally just went up to 60 mg. so who really knows. I hope I can get up to 80 next month though. Really start seeing some results.

Yeah, it's really interesting how everyone gets prescribed a different dosage. All of these derms just have their own way of doing things. Some want to ease their patients onto the drug and others go all out and put their patients on a high dosage. My derm told me I would be taking 40mg a day and then he asked how much I weighed. When I said I'm 105 lbs., he said 40mg would be good for my weight. So far it's been fine! I guess all that matters is that this stuff eventually clears up our skin!

Hopefully your derm will up you to 80mg! Maybe that'll be what you need to finally get all of the acne out of your system for good!

Just uploaded photos of my skin. Sorry that I'm subjecting you that horrible sight haha... yuck! I'm wayyy too embarrassed to show my whole face so I'll only be posting parts of it, but nevertheless I think it will be helpful to track my progress. I seriously admire those people who are brave enough to show their face. I guess I'm afraid that if I did, someone I know will somehow come across it!! God forbid if anyone from my school saw it, I'd probably jump off a building... I mean, the chances of someone finding this are very slim... but still!
Anyways as you can see in the pics that most of my acne is located on my forehead, it's the itchy type too. I just want to scratch my skin off! And then I have a little bit on my cheeks along with scarring. You can really see how bumpy my skin looks on the side view, which makes me so self conscious around people.
I can't even remember what it's like to touch smooth skin anymore.

I'm really glad that getting Accutane in Australia is a fairly easy process. There's none of that iPledge crap to go through which I reckon really sucks for the people in the US. Here it's basically just get referred to a derm, they prescribe you Accutane, get your blood test done and when results are fine then it's done! All that pregnancy stuff they don't drill it into us as much as they do in the US. I don't have to be on birth control. I just had to sign a form saying I wouldn't get pregnant and that was that, just makes the whole process a lot less of an ordeal. My pills just cost $5.80 which was awesome Posted Image

I think Accutane will clear up your skin nicely! One good thing is the acne on your forehead isn't huge, painful cysts or anything.

You're lucky you don't have to do all the iPledge stuff. It's definitely a bit of a hassle. And that's great your prescription was cheap! Mine was $5. I was shocked! I thought it was going to cost hundreds.
Accutane Log

#14 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I sure hope that I can get bumped up. I want to see results!! Although I have only been on 60 for 2 weeks so who knows maybe I am just breaking out again now that my dose was increased.

#15 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

I sure hope that I can get bumped up. I want to see results!! Although I have only been on 60 for 2 weeks so who knows maybe I am just breaking out again now that my dose was increased.

Yeah, give the 60mg some time to work and see if you've made any progress by your next dermatologist appointment. I think you'll see improvement by then! The new breakouts are probably just from the dosage increase, so don't worry too much!
Accutane Log

#16 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Im trying to stay positive and I am sure I will see some progress soon! Thanks :)

#17 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Another Aussie, good to see. I am glad to hear that the process is really easy in Australia. I have got my appointment with the dermatologist this coming Monday. I am presuming that you're in year 12 this year, and if you ever want to talk about the HSC, post school studies or anything else feel free to ask me. Hope the treatment works brillantly for you.
Best of luck,

Jamie

Edited by jamie o, 24 May 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#18 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Another Aussie, good to see. I am glad to hear that the process is really easy in Australia. I have got my appointment with the dermatologist this coming Monday. I am presuming that you're in year 12 this year, and if you ever want to talk about the HSC, post school studies or anything else feel free to ask me. Hope the treatment works brillantly for you.
Best of luck,

Jamie

Yay for Aussies! Yep I am in year 12, tough year to be on Accutane but it will be worth it hopefully. Thanks for the offer :) I hope your appointment goes well!

#19 scarface17

scarface17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

DAY 13:
So I've taken 6 pills so far (60mg) and no huge changes, although I do notice a minor (very minor) improvement. The clusters of pimples on my forehead have flattened down a bit, as before they were protruding out like half a centimetre I swear! It's also a lot less itchy. My lips are a little drier than usual, but I'm still only applying lip balm twice a day.
I know I'm not supposed wax on accutane but I'm going to wax my eyebrows on the weekend, I can't deal with only plucking! The no waxing thing was one of the things I was least looking forward to, but I'm on such a low dosage and my skin isn't at all fragile so heck, I'll go ahead and do it while I can.

#20 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

That's great you're already seeing some improvement! Hopefully it continues to clear up!

Waxing sounds a little scary on Accutane, but you also haven't taken much medication, so I doubt it'll really have an impact on you, but who knows. Hope it goes well!
Accutane Log