Photo

Gi And Meal Frequency. Is Frequent Snacking Or 3 Square Meals Per Day Better?

nutrition low gi

2 replies to this topic

#1 zoomzoom

zoomzoom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:nutrition, diet, exercise

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

It's established by even mainstream medicine that a high-glycemic diet correlates with severity of acne.

I am wondering if anyone is acquainted with any studies (like the following one) regarding the glycemic impact of meal frequency. A recent study on mice examining the effects of constant snacking vs. limited time frames for eating indicates that not snacking is better for blood sugar regulation in the rodents (which could have implications for humans):

Panda and colleagues fed two groups of mice a high-fat diet. One group could snack whenever they liked, the other could only eat during an 8-hour window. Both groups consumed the same number of calories each day. Two other groups were fed a healthy diet under the same conditions.
Three months later, the weight of mice on the all-day, high-fat diet had increased by 28 per cent. Their blood sugar levels had gone up – a risk factor for diabetes – and they also had liver damage. In contrast, mice eating a high-fat diet for only 8 hours a day stayed healthy and didn't become obese. They also had better balance than mice on a healthy diet.

http://www.newscient...ng-healthy.html

Does anyone have any ideas about the effect of food consumption frequency and blood sugar regulation? I've seen posts on caloric restriction, but my question is about specific times for eating, not necessarily eating less food. I guess the two topics are somewhat interrelated as eating only within a specifically delineated time frame would imply "fasting" outside of that time frame.

Anyhow, has anyone noticed that not eating during certain periods (i.e., no eating after 6:00 PM or something) has any effect on their acne? Do you notice differences in your acne when not snacking at all and eating only 3 meals per day?

#2 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Watching TV shows/movies, playing guitar, exercising, hanging out with friends, getting clear skin

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

This seems interesting, I haven't tried it but I'm curious about it. In the 16 hour period of not eating, can you drink water?

#3 zoomzoom

zoomzoom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:nutrition, diet, exercise

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Water has no impact on blood sugar levels as it has no carbohydrates to speak of, and I didn't read that it was controlled for in the study with mice. I think even with intermittent fasting it is permitted to drink water whenever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users