Photo

Is This Scarring? Bumpy Chin?

scars chin bumps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 kategellar

kategellar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

This is my first time posting so I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I have been dealing on and off with acne ranging everywhere from mild to severe at different points. About three months ago I had the worst breakout of my life and went back on doxycycline and epiduo gel to fix it. Those products seem to be helping quite a bit at this point, but I've noticed that I still have a lot of skin colored bumps all over my chin. I did have the majority of my acne on my chin. I may have had these bumps for quite some time and just never really looked at them that closely so I'm not sure if they are from a previous breakout or this recent one or something else entirely. I have included pictures and was wondering if anyone could help me. Does this look like scarring? I would like to know becuase I'd like to find some sort of treatment because it's really bothering me. It makes me bottom half of my face look kind of wrinkly and textured weird. Also, I think they look worse in person because the camera isn't that great of quality. Anyways, it's really bringing me down and any help or input on if you know if this is scarring or experienced anything similar would be great.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Sabrina Mills

Sabrina Mills

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

i have the same thing. its definitely scarring, but i think scarring in the type that it would clear up as soon as your face cleared up. idk, i feel for you :( i'm in the same boat.

#3 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

i have something like that on one area of my chin like a half inch wide or so. i freaking hate it! i have an appointment with a doctor tomorrrow to see about getting some sort of laser to even it out. what is odd is that it only appeared about 6-7 months ago and i never really had acne in that area. its so hard to cover with makeup. i will keep you updated on what i find out. have you gone to your derm at all to get it checked out?

Edited by KHowz, 18 May 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#4 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

ok so i went and saw a plastic surgeon today regarding this since they do laser and other treatments as well and he suggested the 1540 fractional laser and said it was definitley scarring from past acne. he said it will help it by 70% with 5 treatments and that within 5-6 months i should see the full result. he wasnt trying to sell me anything and wasnt really sure he wanted to do anything but said that if it really bothers me then i could try it out. it would cost $1500 total which i thought was ridiculously high. the laser center i go to was only going to charge me $50 to do it since its like a half inch section of my chin. i might just go there for a few treatments to see if i get any results before shelling out the cash at the other place. i dont have to do the set of 5 its just a little cheaper if i do. i am going to the derm on tuesday and will have them look at it as well to see what they think. its just so hard for me to believe its scarring when literally it came on over night sometime back in october or november. every other picture i have of myself before that time my chin was fine. i will let you know what the derm says.

#5 kategellar

kategellar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for both of your input. I was having trouble with login so I couldn't respond sooner. Anyways, it sucks to know that it is likely scarring. I've never had a problem with scarring at all before this either! Even my hyperpigmentation usually clears up super quick. Sucks so much that one nasty breakout can cause so much damage! It is fairly recent so maybe it will go down a little bit...I can only hope, but I'll definitely be looking into the options you have suggested KHowz. I haven't asked the derm about it yet becuase I haven't even been back to seem them since things started clearing up. I'm going on a trip this week but I'm going to be sure to make an appointment as soon as I get back and see what I can find out as well. $1500 is ridiculous, but honestly if I had the money I'd probably pay it if that was my only option. $50 is way more reasonable. I'll also see what my dermatologist says about it and keep posted if I find anything out or any treatments.

#6 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

yeah i hear ya the thought of the bumpy chin area being scarring is really bothering me too. the plastic surgeon i was talking was saying how even acne when we are younger can turn into scarring that sometimes doesnt show up until later on in life. i dont know if i believe that though because i think you would see it right away. yeah the issues with your chin are fairly recent maybe it isnt scarring at all maybe you just need to use retin-a or something like that for a bit to even things out but yeah once you talk to your derm you will know for sure. i am going to ask mine on tuesday and if she says anything different i will keep you updated. yeah the $1500 is so much cash and i just dont think i can swing it. i would have to come up with an extra $300 a month for 5 months and that is just too much for me. so i am going to try the laser center where i go to for my IPL's and see how that goes. for $50 a session i figure if i dont see results in a few months then i can start saving my cash to go to the other place but then again they are using the same laser so if it doesnt work at this place i dont see it working at another place. i made an appointment for 6/19 so we shall see. i am going away this weekend and will be in the sun so i have to wait a few weeks before they will do the laser on me. anyway i will keep you updated and i hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Edited by KHowz, 21 May 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#7 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

ok so i went to the derm today and she said it could be scarring if i had a lot of acne there but i havent. she said she could biopsy it but then i would have a scar in that spot. she referred to me a cosmetic dermatologist in their group but its like a 3 month wait for an appointment and thats just way too long to wait so june 19th it is then. if you find anything else out let me know.

Edited by KHowz, 22 May 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#8 Melissa Karen Lim

Melissa Karen Lim

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

There's a parallel conversation going on about this at http://www.acne.org/...20#entry3248333 and http://www.acne.org/...my-chin-pic/... with no resolution.

In one of these (i think it's the second thread), someone said they did the fractional laser and the bumpy skin came back.

I won't be able to go see a dermatologist until next month, but i did visit a dermatology center and was evaluated -- not by a doc though. She said microneedling would resolve it, but I don't know if i believe her, since she's not a doctor.

I find these bumps so awful and depressing! It's also ridiculous that no one seems to be able to diagnose this correctly thus far.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

#9 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I had some mild breaking out in my chest earlier this year that lead to skin-coloured bumps like that. I'm fairly sure that it's scarring, since I don't usually break out in my chest and the bumps have remained. Maybe you should look into the Hypertrophic scar forum to see if they could help you on how to get rid of them?

The bumps on my chest don't really bother me, but I also have one on my nose that's been there for a few years after a pimple, and I'd like to know how to get rid of it, too. I've been wondering if I should get a corticosteroid injection, though I haven't looked into it yet.

Edited by austra, 29 May 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#10 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

I just ordered silicone sheets that I'm going to try on the bump on my nose. :) They should help with hypertrophic scars and keloids, even though it will take several months and you're supposed to wear the sheet at least 12 hours a day over the scar (preferably 24). But at least it's supposed to help! I'm not sure how much I dare walk around in front of my boyfriend with a sheet over my nose, but oh well. Also I have a really old hypertrophic scar from a mole removal, so it's quite exciting to see if the sheet would work for it, too.

#11 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have had similar scarring, some of it has shown out of nowhere, but I actually think things like strong peels and needling will thin the and produce inflammation all leading to it. So I don't think needling or lasers would be great for it. I think the epiduogel may have contributed to it. You need to not do anything irritating to it, after awhile your skin will calm down and look at least a little better. I used coconut oil at night on some bumps and after a while it did look better. It won't break you out, get the virgin coconut oil. Also try to supplement with good vitamins like vitamin C, msm, etc. Those silicone sheets don't do much, it will look better for a bit and then come back. It is only good for moisturization which you can do cheaper with the coconut oil. If you do find a solution to it let me know as I will want to try it as well!

#12 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

so i went to this place called the skin center that i have gone to on and off for years and the lady said she doesnt think its scarring. she looked at my chin and think its clogged pores so she gave me a script for differin to use 2-3 times a week and then she is going to do dermasweep with a chemical peel on 6/18. she believes this should help clear it out a bit and make it look a lot smoother. so we shall see but she didnt believe laser would be something that she would want to do on me at all. i love going to this place because they do really good work and they dont try to sucker you into having treatments you dont need which is always nice. so we shall see if these treatments help.

#13 Melissa Karen Lim

Melissa Karen Lim

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

I switch off between Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide -- have been doing this for about a year and a half now -- every day of the week to keep my acne under control.

Retin-A has made my skin better, but it hasn't eliminated the bumps at all. These are very much buried in the skin, so no matter how much skin comes off on top, they're still there sadly.

I've also started juicing a month ago, drinking a massive glass of raw veggie juice 5x a week see what improvements may come out of that.

I have a dermatologist's appnt only at the end of June, will let all of you know what my doc says.

#14 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

thanks for the info melissa. i dont have too much hope with the differin but am hoping the dermasweep and the peels will help. if not then i will try the laser but i wanted to try this first to see if it will work. i am thinking if it does it will take a few treatments but yeah my bumps seem so deep into the skin as well except for one of them that is a little raised. i dont know why the derm cant put a little bit of cortisone in that one to flatten it out. she only offered to biopsy it but then said it will scar. i am wondering though if the scar would look better than the bump. let me know what your derm says but i have asked a few different ones and cant get any info. i am going to try the differin a few days a week and then try upping it evenutally to everyday just on my chin area. i am just so afraid of major breakouts there since its finally clear now besides the bumps. i do wonder if a deep peel would clear those out though.

Edited by KHowz, 30 May 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#15 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

ok so i used differin for 3 weeks before i had dermasweep done and then a chemical peel. my chin peeled yesterday and it looks really no different. does anybody have any advice as to what they think this is? its just so hard to believe its scarring when last year at this time my chin was perfect. ugh! i have an appt on monday with another plastic surgeon and will go from there as well as i am seeing a different derm tomorrow for another opinion. i am attaching photos and if you look at them you can see there looks like a line in the skin which looks so odd and is super hard to cover up. in many ways it looks like the area is indented above the line but the lady at the medical spa seems to think it looks indented because the rest of the area is raised. i just wish i knew why this happened and i need a way to fix this. it looks so much worse in person and has totally screwed my self esteem especially since last year my skin was perfect with no scarring at all. it would be nice if there was some procedure out there that could just level out that area of my skin to make it smooth again. ugh!
note: disregard the zit on my chin when looking at the pics. that stupid chemical peel broke me out. pictures 1,2,4 are the right side of my chin and picture 2 is the left side. its so hard to get a good picture of this to show you all but hopefully you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• SprintPhoto_byvn1d.jpg

Edited by tracy521, 24 August 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#16 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I don't think they're scars. I think it's something with the sebaceous glands or hormones, probably SH.

I switch off between Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide -- have been doing this for about a year and a half now -- every day of the week to keep my acne under control.

Retin-A has made my skin better, but it hasn't eliminated the bumps at all. These are very much buried in the skin, so no matter how much skin comes off on top, they're still there sadly.

I've also started juicing a month ago, drinking a massive glass of raw veggie juice 5x a week see what improvements may come out of that.

I have a dermatologist's appnt only at the end of June, will let all of you know what my doc says.

One of my wonderings about this is if the retinoids cause it. Retinoids speed up skin cell turnover and could possibly cause too many cells to turn over or for them to get all screwed up and overproduce cells, but idk. It's odd that they're just on the chin and sometimes in the nose folds because both places trap oil.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.