paleo depression

97 replies to this topic

#21 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have been vegan and vegetarian before, but no change in skin. But maybe I ate to much bread and stuff, which is also acid-forming. I'm kinda at a loss at the moment.

Day 38

Breakfast: chicken and veggie soup
Lunch: sweet potato, butternut, 2 avos, sauerkraut, carrot, salmon
Dinner: chicken and veggie soup

Skin: still have actives with new developments

Mood: 5/10, feel like giving up on paleo, but where do I go from here? I have exhausted all other avenues. This is essentially my last hope, my only hope...

#22 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

I have been vegan and vegetarian before, but no change in skin. But maybe I ate to much bread and stuff, which is also acid-forming. I'm kinda at a loss at the moment.

Day 38

Breakfast: chicken and veggie soup
Lunch: sweet potato, butternut, 2 avos, sauerkraut, carrot, salmon
Dinner: chicken and veggie soup

Skin: still have actives with new developments

Mood: 5/10, feel like giving up on paleo, but where do I go from here? I have exhausted all other avenues. This is essentially my last hope, my only hope...

Hi Lilo, i'll be your Paleo buddy if you want Posted Image . We can definitely cheer each other on. I know how frustrating it can be especially when you are doing your best. Keep at it! Its supposedly a better way of eating so........

What is your skin care like? Also, have you looked into the possibility that diet may not be your main issue? What kind of acne do you get and where?

#23 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi Sasch12, I can definately do with a Paleo buddy!

I use an organic range on my skin. It's called Sanctum. Have only been using it for a few weeks, before that I used Ahava (too expensive but very good).

I basically get red bumps that turn into whiteheads. Normally, if I get one in an area on my face, a few pop-up closeby. I get acne around my mouth, forehead, temples, sides of face. I also have blackheads but they are tolerable.

My chest has never been bad, but has cleared-up since Paleo. I don't get acne on my back. Most people will describe it as mild, but i think it is moderate, whereas it's effects are severe.

How far are you in and what is your skin and diet like?

Edited by Lilo, 08 June 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#24 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have been to an endo before, my hormones were mostly normal, slightly high 17-OH progesterone, so they ran a CAH test, but it was negative. I had low iron and vitamin D as well, so she basically accussed me of having anorexia because I did not wan't to eat the plan that the dietician gave me in order to pick up weight. So, that was a dead-end, I never returned.

Also, my glucose tolerance test was abnormal, basically said that I was pre-diabetic, my thyroid was underactive, but they blamed everything on my low body weight. I weigh 50 kg and my height is 1,68 m. I wouldn't mind gaining weight but find it difficult when not eating grains.

Edited by Lilo, 07 June 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#25 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Day 39

Breakfast: chicken and veggies soup / broth
Midmorning snack: avo, sweet potato, salmon
Late afternoon snack: sweet potato
Dinner: grilled sardines, potato, roasted peppers. I don't normally eat potato but have a mountainbiking competition tomorrow, so I need carbs for energy

Mood and energy: 8/10

Skin: in repair mode, a lot of marks, less actives

In retrospec, I maybe overdid the red meat, animal fat and eggs, so from now I will mostly do fish

#26 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Achievements

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi Sasch12, I can definately do with a Paleo buddy!

I use an organic range on my skin. It's called Sanctum. Have only been using it for a few weeks, before that I used Ahava (too expensive but very good).

I basically get red bumps that turn into whiteheads. Normally, if I get one in an area on my face, a few pop-up closeby. I get acne around my mouth, forehead, temples, sides of face. I also have blackheads but they are tolerable.

My chest has never been bad, but has cleared-up since Paleo. I don't get acne on my back. Most people will describe it as mild, but i think it is moderate, whereas it's effects are severe.

How far are you in and what is your skin and diet like?

Lilo, we sound very similar. i am also prediabetic with low vitamin D levels. My acne is mostly on my chin/mouth area and more recently has been popping up randomly on my cheeks. My bumps tend to be red, inflamed and under the skin. My forehead for the most part remains clear. I've been on Paleo 1 week today and i have to admit its hard. I plan on giving it 30 days to see if i notice a difference.

Keep on posting!

#27 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Day 40

After reading White Fox's newest posting, I have come to realize that diet alone is not going to be good enough. I need to solve my gut issues as a matter of urgency. So I have opted for the the gut diet / treatment plan on gutflora.com as suggested in the posting.

Breakfast: sweet potato, avo, salmon
Lunch: trout salad, sweet potato
Dinner: lamb, avo
Snacks: cashews

Skin: still have actives, but slightly better than earlier in the week

Edited by Lilo, 09 June 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#28 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Day 45, I think

Paleo is not working for me. I am constipated and need to abort this diet asap. My skin is basically the same, if not worse. Will rather try and fix my digestion and elimination. How do you explain a high fat diet with dry flaking skin? Something is wrong with this picture.

I will be drinking loads of kefir and eating heaps of sauerkraut for a while, maybe do some enzymes and pre- and probiotics, while maintaining a low GI and balaced diet with whole grains, fruit, veg, meat, fish, nuts and eggs.

#29 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Lilo, i'm sorry things have not been working for you. Good luck with the digestion route - keep us posted!

#30 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

OK, so I have been eating, not quite so Paleo, had GF oats for breakfast, shared a GF / rye sandwich maybe 3 times this week, had buckwheat pasta with meat, today I ate a GF pizza. My skin...is essentally slightly better. But somehow I am not convinced that this is the way to go. Still looking into what went wrong on Paleo. Was it the too many nuts, eggs, meat or sweat potato? Thinking of starting with a mono type diet whereby I can introduce new things slowly and observe the effect. But this is a social killer. I can easily do the GAPS soup thing if it was only me that I had to consider.

Or was it just the storm before the calm? And maybe I should have given it another month or so before judging. Sasch12, how is your journey progressing?

#31 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

OK, so I have been eating, not quite so Paleo, had GF oats for breakfast, shared a GF / rye sandwich maybe 3 times this week, had buckwheat pasta with meat, today I ate a GF pizza. My skin...is essentally slightly better. But somehow I am not convinced that this is the way to go. Still looking into what went wrong on Paleo. Was it the too many nuts, eggs, meat or sweat potato? Thinking of starting with a mono type diet whereby I can introduce new things slowly and observe the effect. But this is a social killer. I can easily do the GAPS soup thing if it was only me that I had to consider.

Or was it just the storm before the calm? And maybe I should have given it another month or so before judging. Sasch12, how is your journey progressing?

Hi Lilo - acne can be very frustrating but don't give up. I am planning on giving Paleo at least 2 months (until the end of July). Acne still the same - no consistent improvement so........I will guage progress when i STOP breaking out daily so...

Keep your head up!

#32 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Made the most delicious almond / coconut biscuits today and a almond / zucchini bread. I can easily do Paleo if I have a constant supply of these baked goodies, hehe! I know, I know, should not really overdo O6.

Thanks Sasch12, yep, still eating grains though, but not any commercial breads and biscuits, mainly GF oats, quinoa, brown rice, but not excessively. Eating grain is not really Paleo. So, not quite sure, but I noticed that your diet is very similar to my diet.

#33 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Oops, break-out from all of the nuts and maybe eggs. Have also noticed that my skin is flushed a bit. Inflammation?

Edited by Lilo, 25 June 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#34 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

I am kinda sick of my skin at the moment, the persistent everyday whitehead break-outs is getting to me, my skin also looks a lot redder since eating so many nuts. So for this week-end I am going to eat chicken / fish and vegetables only. No NUTS and EGGS.

At least I have solved constipation by drinking 4 tablespoons of milled flax seeds with kefir every morning. I'll let you guys now how it goes, my weight will probably plumet again.

#35 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Breakfast: 2 poached free range eggs (yes I know), spinach, avo and bacon
Lunch: chicken salad with lettuce, cucumber, green beans and avo
Dinner: chicken and vegetable soup, kefir with 4 tablespoons seed mix

#36 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'm starting to think that my 'healthy diet' may be making my skin worse? It never use to be as bad as it is now. Can that even be possible? Here I was today, cooking away for the better part of the day, making soup, fish, steamed veggies, etc, just so that I have food for the week ahead. What kind of life is this?

Also, I'm not even sure if my acne is really acne, maybe it is a type of dermititis. So, today I started washing my face with sebocalm (cat shampoo for skin conditions). Desperate measures, what can I say.

At least I had zero eggs and nuts today and bought some fish oil to balance my omegas.

Maybe my improved regularity are making my skin worse at first? I don't know.

#37 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

So, I went to my Derm on Wednesday, started taking Bactrim again, could not stand it anymore, had sandy bumps, turning into whiteheads, all over my face. He said it looked like folliculitis / eczema / with a lot of inflammation. Something really strange was going on. Still not sure what? I was following a paleoish diet. At crossroads once again. Where do I go from here?

Edited by Lilo, 08 July 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#38 zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Western Civilization, Health

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Could you try to adopt a water-only or caveman regimen for managing yourself externally? I noticed that you were using some product on your face. How were you feeling when you were on the paleo diet? If you were feeling good, yet your skin was still bad, it could be that you are externally exacerbating things.

#39 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Lilo....how's everything going? Did you end up quitting Paleo? How is the acne situation?

#40 Oner

Oner

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm really interested into why pale didn't work for you. Usually people are resistant to the pale diet because they consume excess nuts or fruits. (nuts are a problem for me). Also I heard if your protein intake is too high, like 100g a day, then you will continue to break out. Is there anything else you can tell us that may indicate why you still breakout? Are you taking a probiotic? Probiotics cause me to breakout, as well as fish oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users