skin pickingscab eating ocd dermabrasion

6 replies to this topic

#1 AnnaWPT

AnnaWPT

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hi everyone. This is a first post like this of any kind for me... I am 35 years old and have been a skin picker ever since my early 20ies. I am not a face picker, but I do have a very bumpy skin with tiny acnelike bumps that bug me, which I would love to pick but usually don't because I am afraid people will see the scabs and scars. I am one of those pickers that picks in places that are easily accessible and hidden with clothing - I always pick my back, shoulders and chest raw, as well as scratching my scalp to get every piece of skin off my head. Thing is I am also an eater of my scabs and skin. The more I pick, the more scabs form, and the more scabs I pick and the more of them I eat. I am usually picking when I am bored and not doing much of anything, like watching TV, or on the other hand if I am stressed out about something. Lots of times I don't even realize I am doing it at all until I notice the blood underneath my nails. Or I will take off my t-shirt and I will have splotches and stains of blood on the back of the shirt that weren't there before

I am absolutely desperate to stop this viscous cycle somehow. I have had some of my scabs get infected in the past and am now left with lovely red and brown scars all over my back, shoulders and chest. I would love to go for dermabrasion of my back especially to help minimize the scarring, but I think I cannot because I have way too many open sores from my scratching at this time.

Is there anyone out there going through the same thing - especially the part where you want (or feel the need) to eat your own scabs. Anyone with some words of wisdom or help for my situation?

Thanks.

#2 overfl00d

overfl00d

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

I've never been a picker, but I've read other people wearing gloves to help them stop picking.

I don't know if that's much help, but good luck!

#3 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, Drums and Drumming, and Animal Wellfare. Love Animals, They Just Rock And They Certainly Dont Care If Your Face Is Full Of Pimples!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

How do the scabs taste?

#4 AnnaWPT

AnnaWPT

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

How do the scabs taste?

LOL, dunno, I never think about it. It's gross, but I do it unfortunately :( It's kinda like people who chew their nails or cuticles, or if you bite a piece of dry skin off your lip I guess.

#5 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Books, food, performance art

Achievements

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

For me, therapy has been a great help. Picking is, in my oppinion, not an isolated issue but an expression of something else. The kind of violent picking you describe, as well as talking about what you do as disgusting is what makes me believe that you have lots of agression towards yourself which comes out in form of picking your skin.

I mean, it is indeed helpful to limit the expression of the angst (for example, trying not to do it, stopping yourself, wearing gloves) but the core of the issue is unlikely to go away with its manifestation. Again, in my experience (you can read my log to follow my progress from Nov 2011 til now) I was quite able to stop the picking, but before therapy it was still the thing that kept my mind busy at all times - how do I look, will anyone notice, is my skin improving, is this new cream doing anything for me etc. etc. Talking to a pro talker (in my case, a psychotherapist) about it helped me get to the core issue and now the manifestation (picking) is not as much of an obsession. I'm getting to know the reasons and dealing with the hate/agression/angst that lies beneath picking, which makes it all a lot less about picking and more about living a compassionate, open, loving life in relation to myself and my body.

First step: stop doing it. Keep a log here, write about it, notice your own patterns and try outsmarting yourself. Second: Find therapist. Go talk. Be brutally honest and let yourself go Third: For healing the wounds I highly recommend Mario Badescu's Healing Cream. There's also a scar healing cream called Cicatrix. These helped med a lot because the less scabs i have the less i would pick.

Best of luck to you! If you want to read my log there's a link just at the bottom of this message.
Wanna see what happens when an obsessive picker quits and ditches a lot of products to heal? Check out my Acne.org journal!

I believe in: greens, breathing, Yogi tea, spirulina, riding bikes, pumpkins, water and things that smell nice

Face care routine:
Shiseido Extra Gentle foaming cleanser
Shiseido The Skincare Hydro Nourishing Softener (toner)
Shiseido The Skincare Protective moisturiser spf 15
Shiseido The Skincare Night Moisture Recharge
Mario Badescu Healing Cream
On and off using: Clinique blemish solution spot gel

#6 girlll

girlll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I pick everything I feel like i will get rid of the flaws when really i KNOW they will just get worse more inflamed and nasty. Im 19 but I started picking at a young age maybe 11 or 12.. Ive always given myself scabs on my face that i will continue to mess with and now that im getting a little older my skin is beginning to scar consequently. I feel like if I dont get a hold of this obsession it will continue on until my adulthood and most likely I will end up with unrecoverable skin. I pick my back and sholders arms etc but it used to be much worse. now and always ive focused mainly on my face. I probably dont even have what is considered acne! Just little bumps I PICK. I need support and Im very thankful that you're able to be vulnerable and help me to be too! We're in this together

#7 iskaestar

iskaestar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have found that adding jojoba or argan oil to moisturizer really helps with dry skin and the scab situation. The scars aren't as bad when I leave them alone. Whenever you fight the urge to pick remind yourself that you're letting your body heal itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users