Photo

For Adult Ladies With Mod -Severe

cystic acnehormonal spironolactone minocycline clindamycin orthotricyclin tretinoin chemical peel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 TIBBY

TIBBY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I finally found something that works and I want to share it with you ladies!

I had tried sooo many perscriptions including Acutane, lasers, chemical peels, etc. It seemed that my acne was only getting worse! I started to get cysts. I had given up on dermatologists but went in for a cortizone shot. The dermatologist decided to ignore my apprehentions and perscribe me stuff I had tried before. Despite my concerns she insisted that I try spironolactone, minocycline, clidamycin/benzoperoxide gel, and tretinoin. TOGETHER.

I had tried spironolactone before, and minocycline, as well as the clindamycin/benzoperoxide gels. On my previous attempts with spironolactone I didn't take a high enough dose. I currently take 200 MG daily. This combination worked together to keep my skin bacteria free while reducing oil production. Only in combination were the treatments able to work!

If you haven't tried it, its worth a shot before you try Acutane. I have virtually no problems now (only scars). I'm also on orthotricyclin, but I'm not sure if that had any affect either way.

Good luck girls!

#2 evg5gd

evg5gd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hi Tibby,

Are you taking spironolactone 200mg and minocycline at the same time? I have been on Spiro for 3 months (100mg once a day) with no results : ( I was going to try Accutane but I wonder if my derm will increase me to 200mg.

#3 scrumby1

scrumby1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Well I know plenty of people with acne issues. Majority of the time it's because the oil is over producing and causing clogs. The best thing for this is a GREAT exfoilator, a CLARISONIC guaranteed to clean your skin 6 times better and deeper than your hand, AND my brightening serum ( I work @ Clarins in dillards arbor place mall). those items are made to erase the scars on your face (but really the exfoilator and the serum will do it). But to slow down the production of oil you just need the lotus oil from clarins (this product will go down to the hair shaft and into the dermis and slow down the production of oil and balance the ph in your skin NO LIE!) And the oil is 100% plant extracts look it up or stop by to see me!

#4 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

did the spiro reduce oil production?

#5 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Interesting! This is a similar regime to the one my derm put me on several months ago and I have not had one single blemish since. Amazing! You can read my regime below but it basically consists of Spiro (100mg) + Oracea (low dose - not antibiotic - only for inflammation) + BP wash + Cleocin-T solution (antibiotic topical) + tretinoinin cream (retinoid). And monthly microdermabrasion.

I agree that it is the combination of these meds that makes the whole thing work. I think it's because it attacks acne on all fronts...anti-androgen, anti-sebum, antibiotic, etc. The acne bacteria can't survive in these conditions and the pores are kept clear.

#6 TIBBY

TIBBY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi!

Yes I was taking them (Spironolactone and Myoclycline) both at the same time.... everything at the same time. Since my acne was mostly along my chinline she said its definitely hormonal and the accuatane wouldn't work for long.

According to my derm, I needed to

1. reduce oil production (slightly) and hormone fluxuations (with spironolactone) and
2. kill the acne bacteria (with minoclycline and some topical benzoclyine)
3. exfoliate (with retin -a)
4. get rid of existing cysts -with a cortisone shot

So, several perscriptions later, I wasn't clear until at least month later but it finally worked. Thank god.

After about 2 months I stopped taking the minocycline all the time. My doc said to just use it when I have flare ups for about 5 days. I also stopped using the benzocline on a daily basis and use it when I need it as well.

Just an FYI, I'm also on orthotricycline but I don't think it really helped me all that much. So, that may be another added weapon the the arsenal. My perscriptions are expensive, but its better than being on accuatane.

Good luck!

Hi Tibby,

Are you taking spironolactone 200mg and minocycline at the same time? I have been on Spiro for 3 months (100mg once a day) with no results : ( I was going to try Accutane but I wonder if my derm will increase me to 200mg.

#7 Simplicita

Simplicita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Interesting! This is a similar regime to the one my derm put me on several months ago and I have not had one single blemish since. Amazing! You can read my regime below but it basically consists of Spiro (100mg) + Oracea (low dose - not antibiotic - only for inflammation) + BP wash + Cleocin-T solution (antibiotic topical) + tretinoinin cream (retinoid). And monthly microdermabrasion.

I agree that it is the combination of these meds that makes the whole thing work. I think it's because it attacks acne on all fronts...anti-androgen, anti-sebum, antibiotic, etc. The acne bacteria can't survive in these conditions and the pores are kept clear.

Do you always need to keep taking and using those products in order to keep acne away?

#8 TIBBY

TIBBY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Do you always need to keep taking and using those products in order to keep acne away?

I only need Spiro and orthotricyclin and use the retin-a now. Like I said before, I only take the minocycline and use the benzocline when I run into break-outs. But I needed to use all perscriptions for the first 2 -4 months. My doc renews all the perscriptions to make sure I have access to minocycline and benzocline etc when I need it. I don't need to get refills very often though.

Edited by TIBBY, 26 May 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#9 Tashanna

Tashanna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

I had cystic and nodular acne for 17 years. Very oily skin. Acne runs on both sides of the family. One day I went to the dermatologist. She prescribed me BenzaClin, it's benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin, a topical antibiotic. I just put a little on after I wash my face with Cetaphil, then follow up with moisturizer. I instantly stopped breaking out and now get a tiny one every month or so. Also, I wash my face with a Clarisonic Mia, which got rid of the blackheads before I even went to see the derm. I don't think my results are typical but seriously give it a try. I logged on today just to share this in the hopes that it might help someone else.

#10 Simplicita

Simplicita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

I only need Spiro and orthotricyclin and use the retin-a now. Like I said before, I only take the minocycline and use the benzocline when I run into break-outs. But I needed to use all perscriptions for the first 2 -4 months. My doc renews all the perscriptions to make sure I have access to minocycline and benzocline etc when I need it. I don't need to get refills very often though.

Ah so you're constantly taking minocycline..? I took that for 3 months and my immune system became so weak. I always had headaches and a cold. I felt weak. it sucks that you're constantly having to take it =(

#11 TIBBY

TIBBY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Ah so you're constantly taking minocycline..? I took that for 3 months and my immune system became so weak. I always had headaches and a cold. I felt weak. it sucks that you're constantly having to take it =(

I just had a lapse in my insurance (thanks to some dumb butt HR person at my husband's place of employment who left for vacation without filing my paperwork) for a month and had to stop taking Spiro. I'm back on it now, but while I was off, my cysts came back. I had just enough anti biotics to kind of keep it in check, but it was definitey not working as well as Spiro. That round of anti biotics was only the 3rd time I'd had to take it since I started Spiro in November of last year.... and most of those were because I didn't get a chance to fill my perscription for Spiro and missed a couple of days.

So, its not too often that you need the anti biotics after you get started. And its just if you really, really don't want ANY zits. You could probably use just benzocline for any spots you get with the Spiro. Seriously, I just get an occasional small blemish on the Spiro (once every 2 months? and just one or two). I just like to nip them in the bud before the p. acne bacteria spread... but you might just get away with just taking Spiro and that's it! You'll have to drink gatoraid if you're going to be doing anything where you sweat because it dehydrates the hell out of you.

I wish I had discovered this much earlier before scars developed :(

My doctor said that she could tell Spiro would work for me because my acne was along my jaw line and up the side of my cheeks, indicating hormonal acne..